•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes MK63. I don't NEED another scope!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

But I bought it anyway.  I've never had a Maksutov before, and this scope makes two!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1334.JPG
  • IMG_1335.JPG
  • IMG_1336.JPG
  • IMG_1337.JPG

• Andy Howie, Deven Matlick, highfnum and 23 others like this

#2 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

And:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1338.JPG
  • IMG_1339.JPG

• Andy Howie, Deven Matlick, catboat and 7 others like this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

Those finders look cool! Mini maks haha 

Nice looking set up! 

• tim53 likes this

#4 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

Interesting telescope.  Now, mind you, the only thing I've been able to observe with it on this rainy, cloudy day was, of all things, an ABC News helicopter hovering over an accident on the 110 Fwy.  They like to hold still, so I had time enough to locate them in the finder and then in the main scope.  I plopped a Lumicon 1 1/4" diagonal and a Meade 25mm MA eyepiece in and got a nice view of the chopper (about a mile away).  But that's all I know.  

The OTA and box are weathered from long use, but not in bad shape.  The optics on both the main scope and the 60mm guidescope (also a mak) appear pristine and are nice and clean.  Metal covers over the correctors and plastic finder caps over the business end with the eyepiece adapters off.

The tripod is a converted engineer's field tripod.  I've only set it up once, and couldn't get the nice wooden tray in there to try out.  The chain between legs is a complete pain in the beautox to wrestle with.  I might put the scope on one of my Celestron tripods.  The tripod is reasonably stiff, but the cross section where the base mounts to is only 3 inches or so and I can get the scope to vibrate without a lot of trouble.  I might experiment with tightening the nut under the 'pod head next time.  

The seller threw in a telrad with an extension mount.  Though I already have 2 or three telrads, there's no such thing as too many.  The weird gizmoid on the back of the guidescope in the last pic is a clever diagonal that screws onto either the main or the guide scope.  This scope included a JMI crayford focuser (on the main scope).  The diagonal on the guidescope has this illuminated red dot at the other end from where the eyepiece lives.  I've looked at the mirror with it off the scope, and I can see the red dot in there when I twist the silver thingy to adjust brightness.  There's a hand controller with buttons for RA, but the dec is a manual tangent arm similar to celestron and Meade fork mounts.  The thing is built like a tank (and looks a bit like one!).  No easy way to open up the base, so i haven't.  But I'm curious whether it has a real worm drive on the RA versus a spur gear drive like with early Celestrons and Dynamaxes (or Questars, for that matter).

I think this thing is going to be fun to play with, particularly if I can mount it either on one of the celestron tripods or an actual pier (my preference).  Though I think it's most suited for planetary imaging, it might also be fun to try imaging with my Olympus micro 4/3rds camera (with the wonderful live view modes), provided the drive is reasonably accurate.

-Tim.

• Andy Howie, Terra Nova, n2068dd and 7 others like this

#5 G.Richard

G.Richard

Viking 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

What a beauty Tim.

• tim53 likes this

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

very nice looking scope. best looking intes i have seen :waytogo:

• tim53 likes this

#7 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:21 PM

This may be helpful

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=xoJtTWW8f08

when I took mine apart the primary was astrosital :waytogo:  I couldn't get a good image with the guide scope and I wasn't happy with the little 10x30 Finder. I got rid of them both and got a 9x50mm. 

Edited by rolo, 20 November 2016 - 10:07 PM.

• tim53 and gfstallin like this

#8 Charles Turner

Charles Turner

Lift Off

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hi Tim,

It looks very nice. Personally, I like Maks, but they do have their downsides; they take a while to cool down and they will dew up if possible. I think you are correct that it is primarily a planetary scope.

It looks like the one that was for sale by Teddi Kroll last year. I wanted to buy it, but could not scrape together the funds before it was sold. Bummer.

If you get tired of it and want to sell, I will likely be interested. Let me know: charles (at) stellanova.com

Have fun,    Charles

• tim53 and Augustus like this

#9 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:38 PM

Very nice find!

I 'm looking forward to your visual report, I want to see how closely

it matches my opinion of the MCT.

I'll give you a little hint I LOVE THE MAK!

but it took me a while to really appreciate the design.

Robert

• tim53 and Bomber Bob like this

#10 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

I was watching that one and kept telling myself I don't have room for another telescope!  Glad you got it!

Dave

• tim53 likes this

#11 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

That is really cool Tim! I have never seen a fork mounted Intes before, nor have I seen a 63! Most seem to be MK65s and up. I love it! I bet it's heavy with that mount. What's an estimate on the total weight with the finders but san tripod?

Have fun! Congrats!! :)

• tim53 and gfstallin like this

#12 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

"it took me a while to really appreciate the design"

We ask a lot from compound scopes, but when they deliver... Majik.

Fantastic score!  A scope that looks like it's been used often is a very good sign.

• tim53 and clamchip like this

#13 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

This may be helpful

when I took mine apart the primary was astrosital :waytogo:  I couldn't get a good image with the guide scope and I wasn't happy with the little 10x30 Finder. I got rid of them both and got a 9x50mm. 

I had found that video while watching the ad for this scope last week.  Very helpful.  In fact, the only review I've seen of this scope.  Mine is exactly like it, except that it's labeled, whereas his isn't.

I think this thing is crying for a tube counterweight system.  But I don't want to drill any holes in it if I don't have to.  It does have a nice dec lock, though, so I don't think it'll move once it's locked in place.  Like Dave says in the video, it's pretty robust.

-Tim.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#14 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

Very nice find!

I 'm looking forward to your visual report, I want to see how closely

it matches my opinion of the MCT.

I'll give you a little hint I LOVE THE MAK!

but it took me a while to really appreciate the design.

Robert

I've gandered through Maks before, but I've never really spent much time with them because they've been so expensive.  I do remember looking through a Q3.5 and a Q7 at RTMC a couple decades back.  The seeing wasn't great and I didn't really have time to dwell on the views all that much, but I was immediately stricken by the quality with both of them, and the flip mirror finder and barlow were really neat.

Then, a few years ago at CSPAMP, I spent some time on Saturn with Steve Miller's Quantum 6, and immediately fell in love with them.  Still couldn't afford one, though.  (actually, I could have, because Steve had found one for sale for a reasonable price, but the guy got an education and pulled his ad before I could pounce).

-Tim.

• clamchip likes this

#15 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:23 PM

That is really cool Tim! I have never seen a fork mounted Intes before, nor have I seen a 63! Most seem to be MK65s and up. I love it! I bet it's heavy with that mount. What's an estimate on the total weight with the finders but san tripod?

Have fun! Congrats!! :)

I should weigh it!  I was kind of surprised that it wasn't as heavy as I expected, though.  It's still a bit awkward to handle.  There are grab handles on either sides of the fork that help, but I found I needed to lock the dec while lifting it on and off the base, or it'd hit the base of the fork while I was fiddling with the big nut that holds the fork to the base.  The combination base/wedge is a good idea, too.  

-Tim.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#16 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

Very cool scope Tim.  If you get that on a Celestron or Meade tripod, I'd be interested in how stable it is.  I really like the fact the pivot for the RA angle isn't way out on a long moment arm like the Celestron or Meade.

• tim53 likes this

#17 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

This may be helpful

I had found that video while watching the ad for this scope last week.  Very helpful.  In fact, the only review I've seen of this scope.  Mine is exactly like it, except that it's labeled, whereas his isn't.

I think this thing is crying for a tube counterweight system.  But I don't want to drill any holes in it if I don't have to.  It does have a nice dec lock, though, so I don't think it'll move once it's locked in place.  Like Dave says in the video, it's pretty robust.

-Tim.

It looks like it has an aftermarket focuser?

• tim53 likes this

#18 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:30 AM

Very cool scope Tim.  If you get that on a Celestron or Meade tripod, I'd be interested in how stable it is.  I really like the fact the pivot for the RA angle isn't way out on a long moment arm like the Celestron or Meade.

Check this one out scroll to the bottom.

http://www.dark-star...li/intes-mk-63/

Edited by rolo, 21 November 2016 - 12:32 AM.

#19 catboat

catboat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

A beauty!  Glad you got this.  Superb optics.  It’s rare to see one with the fork/drive.  Any clue for the year it was made or imported?  

Edited by catboat, 21 November 2016 - 01:09 AM.

• tim53 likes this

#20 jaliteuk

jaliteuk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gloucs. U.K.

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:12 AM

Very nice Mak ,you will find a Dew shield is a great boon to avoid dewing and stray light,as I found on my Intes. Good viewing,John.

• tim53 likes this

#21 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

This may be helpful

-Tim.

It looks like it has an aftermarket focuser?

Yes, it's got a 1 1/4" low profile JMI crayford that screws onto the visual back threads.  So I can use it on the guidescope as well.  I might check to see if JMI has any more of these in stock so I don't have to do that.  The illuminated red dot diagonal that came with the scope is an after market modification.  It's neat, but I don't expect I'll use it to manually guide.   I'll probably just use a Pt Grey camera to guide with on my computer screen.

-Tim.

• Terra Nova and Augustus like this

#22 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

Nice Tim!! Glad I decided not to bid. Hope the optics are good. Had an MK 65 that had poor spherical correction. It was a mess when I got the scope. The diagonal mirror was glued on at an odd angle. fixed all the issues and it was still Meh...Never could get really good image.

• tim53 and Augustus like this

#23 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

What a lovely scope, finder and mount etc.

I bet your views will be superb. It looks to be in great condition.

I have a mid 2000's IM 603 which is a Rumak. And yes it does not disappoint.

#24 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

It was actually clear this morning when I got up to make coffee.  I should have gotten the scope out to gee-whiz Jupiter, though the stars were twinkly enough that I'm pretty sure my seeing wasn't good.  But I got lazy, wanted to be warm, and went back inside after dumping the grounds in the compost.

I'm off today (my first of 3 saturdays and two sundays this weekend!), so after I do some things around the house, I'll get this set up on the west side of the house in preparation for some Venus viewing.

-Tim.

• clamchip, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#25 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

Now wait a minute!!  I've set the scope up in daylight, set the RA circle for the suns position (all coversin place) so I could locate Venus, and it appears the RA circle is labeled backwards, such that if I move to venus' RA location, the scope is pointed ahead (west) of the sun rather than east of it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics