•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar + and StarSense Firmware Updates.

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#51 fitter328

fitter328

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Banff, Alberta

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hi Again Everyone,

Just an update to my last post. As noted above, I have current Java, current CFM and the serial-USB driver installed on Windows 10 and hooked up my AVX with Starsense as per the picture in the first post of this thread. Today CFM found and recognized my mount, the hand control and Starsense showing all firmware up to date. As others have pointed out I believe you must have the serial driver installed even with the mini USB hand control in order for CFM to work. Also, it took about 30 seconds for it to find Starsense so have a bit of patience!

Thank you again to everyone who contributed to these threads, if you follow the advice, updating your firmware is a simple and quick exercise. 

Cheers,

John

• Noah4x4 likes this

#52 jjhart827

jjhart827

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Beavercreek, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

So, just a couple of my recent experiences with CFM and firmware updates: A couple of weeks ago, I attempted to update my Evolution mount and Nexstar + HC. Initially, the HC firmware updated without a hitch, but the mount was not recognized. Then, after power cycling the mount while holding down the Menu + Celestron icon, CFM eventually found my mount -- but as soon as it attempted to update the firmware, CFM flashed an error code, and my mount firmware was complete toast. The power switch wouldn't even turn the mount off! Finally, after attempting the update several more times, the mount firmware update was successful. But it wasn't easy, and it wasn't a sure thing.

This week, I received my new CGEM DX...and needless to say, I'm extremely reluctant to update the HC firmware, and I don't even know how to update the mount firmware...or even if it's worth doing. The new HC has a firmware version from 12/2014. Obviously, it would probably benefit from an update, but I haven't even had the mount out for first light yet. So, I'm a bit conflicted.

Has anyone had any issues when attempting to update a Nexstar + HC while connected to a CGEM?

Lastly, there's a lot of discussion on this thread about the RS232 and the often-needed serial to USB adapter. Just want to put this out there: if you are in need of a new laptop for mount control and/or imaging, consider getting something with a serial port. I have a fairly new Dell Latitude Rugged (with core i5 processor) that comes with a serial port. Similarly, my company-issued Thinkpad (with a core i7) has a serial port. Contrary to popular belief, serial ports are not necessarily an extinct species on modern equipment. And in this case, having a laptop with a serial port means eliminating one more thing that can malfunction, break, or otherwise introduce chaos into your workflow.

#53 sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg

Explorer 1

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

(SNIP)

This week, I received my new CGEM DX...and needless to say, I'm extremely reluctant to update the HC firmware, and I don't even know how to update the mount firmware...or even if it's worth doing. The new HC has a firmware version from 12/2014. Obviously, it would probably benefit from an update, but I haven't even had the mount out for first light yet. So, I'm a bit conflicted.

Has anyone had any issues when attempting to update a Nexstar + HC while connected to a CGEM?

(SNIP)

Use CFM to update the HC firmware on your CGEM DX.

Use MCupdate,  http://www.celestron...dateinstall.zip , to update your MC firmware on your CGEM DX.  You can update the firmware of each axis individually.  For now, it is recommended to keep 6.17 on azm and to update to 6.50 on alt.  

• jjhart827 likes this

#54 xHarry

xHarry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lafayette, Ca

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

My MC has 6.17 on both axes. Is there something significant missing? Which axis (dec or ra) should I update? 

#55 laroobien

laroobien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

quick question, I received the star sense but where is the adapter to update it?  Edit-  Found a spare one around, pretty hurt they don't supply one with it.

Edited by laroobien, 24 April 2017 - 08:14 PM.

#56 laroobien

laroobien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

how do you update the HC on starsense? I can't plug it in like the diagram shows as the back of the controller has a mini usb and not the same as the nexstar controller. The cfm showed the starsense was updated just with the nexstar HC when I did run it like the picture shows.

Edited by laroobien, 29 April 2017 - 11:50 PM.

#57 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

Take a look at the "how to" article at the bottom of this page of my website:

http://www.nexstarsi...om/Firmware.htm

• laroobien likes this

#58 laroobien

laroobien

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Michael, I take it I need another mini usb port for the star sense controller. Thanks, some good info there.

#59 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

You're welcome.  You only need the one cable, you can plug in to just the hand control and CFM will see just the hand control and allow you to update it without connecting the camera.

• laroobien likes this

#60 rehling

rehling

Messenger

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

I'll throw my experience onto this thread because it was somewhat different from any of the above.

Yesterday afternoon, after working flawlessly for the 20 months I've owned it, the HC on my NexStar 6se gave me a "Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0008" error. Why? Who knows – static electricity? It worked fine only hours before the problem first manifested. I researched the matter and found out that I needed a cable and hurriedly tried to call my local electronics stores, then decided to commit to an Amazon order; painful because last night was a great night and I didn't want to miss it.

The Amazon delivery took less than 24 hours (though it's now cloudy, so it didn't need to!). I got the RJ-11 to RS-232 cable and a RS-232 to USB adapter. (Necessary because I bought my Nexstar slightly before they made a USB standard, as I understand.) I downloaded the firmware onto my Mac, but it couldn't find my telescope. After a little searching, I realized that I needed also to download and install a driver for that type of cable… a step that might not have occurred to me because cables normally work without such a step! But that fixed it and the update happened quickly.

Hopefully that experience helps someone else if they run into the same situation.

#61 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

my skywifi module is giving an error 17 and error 16.

on advise of the tech people at Celestron, I updated the firmware with the Java software CFM.

on 2 x windows-10 PCs I got the error message below

CFM was unable to write to the harddisk. if this is the first time you have......etc

using an old laptop did the trick and I could use the CFM application.

this seems to have updated in any case the HC (as it was connected to it).

question:  Does it also update the motor control board?? or do I need to run a different procedure for that.

(the error 17 and error 16 persists )

please advise

thx

#62 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

Your "error 17 and error 16" probably are not WiFi related. If this is about your 8se I'd be checking power and cabling first. Try to get it going without wifi and then go back to the wifi setup and work on that. 

"Does it also update the motor control board?" If everything is connected it should update anything it sees that needs updating. 

Check you power and connections first. Whatever it is, it's probably solvable, start with a basic setup that has worked before. Just plug things in and check your power and any connections. Unplug and replug, check and switch cables if you can. Good luck with it.

Errors 16 and 17 happen a lot, make sure your power is adequate.

Edited by outofsight, 22 May 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#63 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Thx for your suggestions.
I should have mentioned it. The unit is connected to a fully charged celestron powertank. And works just fine without the wifi module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#64 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

Sirius,

What mount do you have? I'm viewing on my phone and Cloudy Nights doesn't display our signature blocks in the mobile view.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
http://www.NexStarSite.com

#65 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:23 AM

Hi,

It is a standard nexstar 8se. Bought in august 2016

#66 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

If it works without the wifi module attached, then of course it might just be the module, or it still might be where the module is connecting or the cabling. If you have any alternate ways to connect it you should try them, or exchange the wifi module. 

There is one other thing you might want to try, Sirius48e. The SkyPortal app just had an update, you might want to try that, it fixed some connection problems.

Edited by outofsight, 24 May 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#67 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Okay - to update the motor control on the SE series you use MCupdate. Instructions are found at the bottom of this page of my website:
http://www.nexstarsi...om/Firmware.htm

That said, Celestron hasn't released update MC firmware for the SE in many years so I don't think that is the issue.

I did recently hear from someone else who had a bad WiFi module which caused no response errors. Is Celestron's willing to replace yours?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#68 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Well, my dealer already replaced the wifi module for me last month. Alas, this did gave the same problem.
He says that they tested the the new wifi module before sending it out :(
Just checked the firmware:
Hc: 5.29.6225
Mc: 5.14 5.14

• sixkilo likes this

#69 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

Sirius,

A couple of things to try:

- does the scope work with the hand control plugged into the AUX port (no WiFi module connected)?

- does SkyPortal work with the WiFi modules connected to the AUX port while the hand control is disconnected?

#70 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:54 AM

Hi,
The Mount works just fine with the HC plugged into the AUX port.

With the HC unplugged from the mount and the wifi module into the AUX. i see the Celestron-0C ssid and can connect to it.
However, the little wifi icon does not appear on the upper lefthand corner of the ipad. I do get an ip address. (When i connect my pc to this ssid, i can also ping the wifi module.

But, the skyportal does not want to connect. And yes, the skyportal is set to Accesspoint. And it is V2,306016aa727f0151c0357135d03a4c09e2.jpg

Edited by Sirius48e, 28 May 2017 - 01:54 AM.

#71 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

At this point, since the hand control reports "no response" errors when the WiFi module is plugged in, and since it has done this with two different WiFi modules, it seems your mount has a very unusual problem.  It is otherwise possible that the hand control has a problem and your inability to connect via SkyPortal even with the hand control disconnected is an issue on the iPad side.  In any case, since the scope is still under warranty I would recommend getting a return authorization from Celestron and sending them the mount (fork arm), hand control and WiFi module.  They can swap out the hand control and boards inside the mount to isolate the problem.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "NexStar Observer List"

#72 Sirius48e

Sirius48e

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

Yes. Probably best idea.
Too bad it is not something i could fix myself.
Many thanks for your guidance. And my apologies for (kinda) hijacking this topic

#73 PCGuru

PCGuru

Lift Off

• Loc: Bayside, NY

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Hi Sirius, 

Boy, this takes me back, I had to dig up my notes from a few years ago.  I had a similar issue when the Clelestron SkyQ Link (version 1) module first came out.  I was using my NexStart 8SE and the 8SE Mount and no matter what I did it would not control the telescope using the Celestron App or SkySafari

I was able to fix the issue by doing the following, 

1- Do a factory reset on the Wi-Fi module

2- Setup a Wi-Fi network without security using an old router

3- Set the SkyQ to Access Point mode and connect to the open WiFi network

4- Power cycle SE Mount with the Wi-Fi module connected

After doing the above all started working and I have not had an issue with the SkyQ Link since.

Now I use the same version 1 SkyQ Link with my CG-5 EQ mount and connect via a HotSpot (MiFi) secure Wi-Fi network in AP mode and all still works.

Also try using SkySafari instead, if you do you will have to set the App to use "Celestron WiFi"

The setting is under Settings>Telescope.

I am getting Lasik this weekend so will not be able to reply until next week, but please let me know if you issue is not fixed.  I will be able to test using my SE mount in a week or two.

#74 rehling

rehling

Messenger

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Here's a sub-issue, perhaps someone else has noticed.

I updated the Celestron firmware last month, and based on one session after that, I'm seeing an apparent bug: When setting the time for a new session, times that begin "12:__:__" are always interpreted as AM, even when you explicitly select PM. It was literally impossible for me to enter a time between 1200h and 1300h. I suspect that fairly few people encounter this because noon is not a popular time to observe. In this case, I only had to wait until 1pm, and then I could proceed.

I'm fairly certain that this was not a bug in the firmware installed at time of purchase in 2015; though I can't swear to it, I'm almost certain that I'd started daytime sessions during that hour of the day before without hitting that problem.

#75 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Celestron is aware of that bug and the fix is already in a beta version of the firmware.  You may want to join "Team Celestron" (http://teamcelestron.com) to have access to the beta firmware before it is released to the general public.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
http://www.nexstarsite.com/

• roelb and rehling like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics