•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar + and StarSense Firmware Updates.

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 HickTrick

HickTrick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tips! 
I did log a ticket with Celestron the same day I posted here (and yes, it was a shorter story laugh.gif ) But I haven't heard back yet. I'll see if I can add an amendment to the ticket to name drop you grin.gif

I'll have to check some local astronomy forums to see if there's anyone in my area with a version 4 HC and give that a try.

Hey kyleday, thanks for giving me hope! But, the link you pasted doesn't appear to have pasted correctly.

I assume it's in www.nexstarsite.com so I did some googling assuming that, and getting the last portion of the url you pasted `xstargpsfix.htm` and ended up here:
HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToNexStarPlusNexStarGPSFix

That page says it's for the "NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS and NexStar 5i/8i". But, I assume that it's really for the NexStar+ HC, that is why it still applies to this situation?
  • I could downgrade my HC firmware with that method
  • then use MCUpdate to get my mount back to working
  • then go back to regular CFM and update the HC back to the latest and greatest
Does that sound about right for the process you followed?

Edited by HickTrick, 12 August 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#202 kyleday

kyleday

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

Yes

#203 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Hi HickTrick,

Yes, that is the correct page at my website to access an older version of the NexStar+ hand control (HC) firmware.  Kyle suggested this solution and confirmed it worked for his setup.

So...Celestron has confirmed that the current version of NexStar+ firmware BREAKS MCUPDATE.  If you load that older version of NexStar+ HC firmware you should be able to get MCupdate to reload firmware to your mount's motor control.  Be sure to load the latest NexStar+ HC firmware back onto your HC after you get the MC working again.

Hopefully Celestron will have the NexStar+ firmware fixed soon as there is a slight risk in loading older firmware on the NexStar+ HC, plus a lot of people aren't going to learn about this until after they brick their motor control.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#204 AsterMap

AsterMap

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Porter Ranch, California

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:48 AM

Has anyone else seen a BSOD (blue screen o' death) on Windows 10 running updates in CFM_2.7.9144, particularly with StarSense?

I just got a new (well, open-box) StarSense off eBay and rather than just check the version in the HC, I threw caution to the wind and jumped right into updating the firmware.  I was prompted to update from 2.7.9007 to 2.7.9144, done.  Then I plugged the SS HC into my system, and CFM detected it and downloaded the packages.  But when it started updating the first of 6 packages to the HC, I suddenly got a BSOD.  This has happened four different times.  I was eventually successful in doing an update, so I think the problem could have been my USB cable (borrowed from an old Garmin GPS) as it feels a bit loose in the HC.  The BSOD message was serial/usb related.  Too bad Celestron didn't include a mini-B cable with the StarSense,

I'm kinda new to doing updates with CFM, but it seems like it always wants to run updates even when the connected devices have been updated.  Does it forget when the software is restarted, or does the presence of the Packages directory make it think it always has updates to perform?

Todd

#205 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:26 PM

Hi Todd,

I've never heard of a BSOD in CFM but Windows drivers (like the USB to serial driver) are directly linked to the Windows kernel so I would suspect a change in the most recent Windows updates that has led to a slight instability with the driver. It is possible there is a newer driver than you currently have loaded or Prolific may need to update the driver due to those possible changes in Windows.

CFM (the third section of the main CFM window) doesn't normally reload firmware to your equipment when it detects the same version already on the equipment. You will usually see activity in the top two sections of CFM: the top section for detecting devices and the middle section for downloading new packages. Note that the middle section of CFM may download packages that don't apply to your equipment.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 15 August 2019 - 11:50 PM.

#206 AsterMap

AsterMap

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Porter Ranch, California

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

Hi Mike,

That makes sense about the driver.  I recently updated to KB4511553 (8/13).  I'm leaning on the actual cable being at fault, although I must've used it before for my regular HC a few months ago (a much shorter update).  I'll try a $5 cable and see if anything changes.

Good stuff on CFM.

Thanks,

Todd

#207 HickTrick

HickTrick

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

Hey kyleday, thanks for giving me hope! But, the link you pasted doesn't appear to have pasted correctly.

I assume it's in www.nexstarsite.com so I did some googling assuming that, and getting the last portion of the url you pasted `xstargpsfix.htm` and ended up here:
HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToNexStarPlusNexStarGPSFix

That page says it's for the "NexStar 8/9.25/11 GPS and NexStar 5i/8i". But, I assume that it's really for the NexStar+ HC, that is why it still applies to this situation?

• I could downgrade my HC firmware with that method
  • then use MCUpdate to get my mount back to working
  • then go back to regular CFM and update the HC back to the latest and greatest
Does that sound about right for the process you followed?

Yes

Hi HickTrick,

Yes, that is the correct page at my website to access an older version of the NexStar+ hand control (HC) firmware.  Kyle suggested this solution and confirmed it worked for his setup.

So...Celestron has confirmed that the current version of NexStar+ firmware BREAKS MCUPDATE.  If you load that older version of NexStar+ HC firmware you should be able to get MCupdate to reload firmware to your mount's motor control.  Be sure to load the latest NexStar+ HC firmware back onto your HC after you get the MC working again.

Hopefully Celestron will have the NexStar+ firmware fixed soon as there is a slight risk in loading older firmware on the NexStar+ HC, plus a lot of people aren't going to learn about this until after they brick their motor control.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

Hey guys, just wanted to report back that this process worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help!!! Much appreciated!

#208 Lemonhawk

Lemonhawk

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Harbor, FL

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

Windows 10 should bring in the correct USB driver for Celestron (for HC's that have the mini USB connector).  It did this for me when I plugged in the HC and it recognised that is was actually talking to a USB to serial adapter build into the HC.  

• Dynan likes this

#209 Wolfeman77346

Wolfeman77346

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

"Alternately, if your scope has Celestron WiFi (built-in on the Evolution and Astro Fi, available as an add on for many mounts by using the Celestron SkyPortal or SkyQ Link WiFi module), you can connect your PC to the scope's WiFi network and connect without cables.  Then change the connection method in CFM's Options/Connections menu to WiFi." from https://www.nexstars...NexStarPlus.htm is very unreliable.

After bricking the StarSense HC making it and the telescope unbootable, I ordered the mini-B USB cable, and thankfully when it was plugged directly into the StarSense HC, was visible, and I was able to recover the HC, and successfully update the remainder of the firmware on the StarSense and the mount.

I DO NOT recommend firmware updates via the WiFi connection. Use at your own risk. Multiple memory corruption messages and update failures resulted in complete failure. Thankfully I was able to recover with the proper cables. The cable method was a complete success without issue.

#210 mtenboer

mtenboer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Grass Valley, CA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

HI All - I am new to CN and I'm hoping you can help me.    I bricked my StarSense HC by trying a firmware update using Wifi in CFM.  I wish I had read your posts before I proceeded.  My HC now has the dreaded message: ERR: Model Num

I have a Nexstar Evolution 8 with StarSense and I am running Windows 10.  They were purchased in early 2017 and I have not tried any firmware updates until now.  I was having a problem tracking and I thought this might solve it.   

I have reviewed may posts regarding solutions to failed firmware updates but my problem appears to be different:  When I plug the HC mini-USB cable into the laptop, Windows says "USB device not recoginzed".  I have tried two different versions of PL2303 drivers but they have no effect on this problem.  The device manager does not show any Serial to USB device (I'm not sure if it is supposed to).  The HC is in bootloader mode when I plug it in to the laptop.  I have tried three different usb cables and have decided to order one from Amazon that specifically works with Canon cameras. I think it is unlikely it is the cable since I tried 3. 

Any ideas ?

#211 mtenboer

mtenboer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Grass Valley, CA

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:03 PM

Problem solved.  I put in a ticket at Celestron Customer Service and after we tried several update configurations of CFM (wired, wifi, mount only, etc) they decided the StarSense HC had a problem.  They requested I return it, and they sent a replacement.  They recommended updating it using the wired connection.  I updated the new HC without any problems.  I strongly recommend not using the wifi connection for firmware updates. 

Johnny at Celestron customer service was terrific.  He responded to my ticket the next day and we had many quick messages back and forth over the next several days. 

• outofsight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics