•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar PG3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Larry,

There is a Q3.5 with PG-I just posted to eBay for $2650 that looks pretty nice.  There is a photo of the base showing all the connections and another picture showing the 12 volt AC wall wart adapter.  I do not think you could use a 12 volt DC battery but the base input is marked 12 VDC.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bill

Edited by Billydee, 12 February 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#52 starblue

starblue

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Those are Questar's problems. I have a Q3.5 and a Q7 with PG 1's installed and have never encountered them. The main problem is for the user--switching the battery in the scope's base when the old one goes dead. Removing the little Q from its tripod is no big deal but rather inconvenient. But removing the 50-lb Q7 from its base is a major operation even during daylight when I'm feeling fresh and strong--doing it late at night in the dark when one is not as alert is a potential recipe for disaster; if the Q7's battery goes dead early in the evening, I may resort to the slow motions, but later on it's easier to just quit for the night.

Does the PG-1 in the Q7 have a 12V input? Then you could carry a jump-start battery and appropriate cord, plug it into the base, and carry on observing.

It does but I don't use it. My luck with jump-start batteries has been dismal, and it goes counter to Questar's concept of the "self-contained observatory". I would run it off the car, except I have a foreign car whose cigarette lighter port doesn't work when the car's not running, plus it's rare to have the car next to me.

#53 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Ben,

The one on eBay is the Q3.5 you desire, a 1990 Duplex, PG-I, Dec Motor, BB and other options ($2650),

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Bill

#54 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

Bill,  I make it a practice never to jinx a great deal by announcing it before the goods arrive as hoped, but...

A different PG-1 is packed and ready to ship to my address.

• TerryWood likes this

#55 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Ben,

Best of luck,

Bill

#56 ECOMRO

ECOMRO

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

Just got my 3 back from Q. 1988. Total clean refurbish a clutch, powerguide 3 added. The remote works, I hear the motor working but - not movement? Any thoughts? It looks brand new

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics