•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best version of SkySafri 5 for a newbie?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bestred1

Bestred1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lacombe, Louisiana, USA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

I did a search for SkySafari 5 on this forum and found tons of hits but none really helped my situation. 

SkySafari 5, 5-plus, or 5-Pro? Which version gets me the most bang for the $$$ as a newbie? 

I bought the Wifi adapter for my Celestron 127SLT and am using SkyPortal to drive it. I guess the real question is plus or pro since I did read that the base version is the same as SkyPortal.

Thanks in adance. Loving this forum already!

• BklynSpaceCadet likes this

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

SkySafari 5-plus as it has telescope control!!

• Bestred1 likes this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hi:

Glad you are liking Cloudy Nights.  :whee:

This is how I see it:

Both the Plus and the Pro have databases that are large enough for almost anyone, for a 5 inch scope, the Plus is more than plenty. 

The Pro has a couple of features that might be worth it,  One is the Galaxy View.  With the Pro, you can see just where in the Milky Way an object is. For objects that are not in the Milky Way, it displays them in relation to the sun and the Milky Way. 

The Pro also has a more detailed moon map, "Nasa's lastest LRO Moon map, with 8X the resolution of Sky Safari Plus"

The Plus and the Pro both run at the same speed, fast. 

Jon

• panhard, Kimbo_2112 and Bestred1 like this

#4 astro_NC

astro_NC

Vostok 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

Since you are a self-described newbie, the Plus version should be plenty good and give you telescope control. Sky Safari is regularly updated and they offer discounts to current license holders so, in the future when a new version is released, you should be able upgrade to the Pro version if desired to get the extra stars and images. However, it does require a lot more memory so make sure you have the space on your phone/tablet.

Be warned that the description of SkySafari5 Plus on the iPhone app store says "there is no discount upgrade path from SkySafari Plus to SkySafari Pro. Choose carefully!"

• Kimbo_2112 and Bestred1 like this

#5 sg6

sg6

Soyuz

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

The Plus is probably all you will need. The difference between the Plus and the Pro is the number of objects.

I think the Plus has 2.1 million stars and the Pro has 13.2 million - numbers are in that area, go check the SS site out for the exact. Similar for DSO's and other objects. So it really comes down to how many stars and objects you want/need.

I have the Plus on an Android Tablet and it hase everything I need.

Seems at least on mine to have a problem with satellites, if it highlights one and I select information it stops (crash), same if I pick a satellite from Todays Events. Slightly annoying.

As mentioned if you buy one then for the next you buy it all over again.

Plus and Pro both do scope control, the Pro has one feature something to do with viewing the galaxy/universe from other places. Cannot quite see why I would want to see Orion from Capella sort of thing. Perhaps an idea to show someone that the constellations we see are dependant on our present location. But not sure.

• Bestred1 likes this

#6 ascii

ascii

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

At least for iPhone and iPad, they usually offer the new major release at a discounted price to everyone for a limited time.  They open a pop up notification in the app informing you of the offer, so owners of the older major releases get a heads up.  I'm not sure how they handle other platforms.

• Jon Isaacs and Bestred1 like this

#7 Bestred1

Bestred1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lacombe, Louisiana, USA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I did find their website and it has a good breakdown of the differences between the versions. I'm going with the plus version which at $14.99 seems like a bargain.

Now, if the sky would only clear up! ........................  :)

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hmmm. I used to use the Plus version but got an email from Sky Safari when v5.0 came out offering me a discount to v5 including an upgrade to the Pro version and I took it. Maybe it was just a special offering or maybe I'm mistaken about the details.

When a new version (5 replacing 4) comes out, it goes on sale at half price for about a month. And there are sales every so often. There is more information in the Software and computer forums and the Vendor forum.

I am sure that Bill and Tim at Sky Safari would like to offer upgrade paths as well as refunds but I believe that both the Goggle Playstore and the Apple apps store do not permit them. 

One thing to be aware of:  Sky Safari 4 is still available in the Playstore and I believe for the Apple Products as well.  This is a service to those who cannot run 5 or have not upgraded to 5 and are still running 4.  If you accidentally purchase 4, you're stuck with it.

Jon

#9 Crimguy

Crimguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

I only went pro so I could have a database of stars up to a higher magnitude. Love the app. Incidentally I went out and got the desktop version last week as it was on sale. I think I like it on the iPad more. The grey menu bars seem outdated on the desktop and their choice of buttons is questionable.
  • mooncheese likes this

#10 astro_NC

astro_NC

Vostok 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

I went with SkySafari5 Plus. It gives you stars down to 12th magnitude, and DSOs down to 15th magnitude. I will never have a telescope/night sky combination that will require more than that. In addition to the basic catalogs, there is PLENTY of extra stuff in the Plus database (asteroids, comets, etc) to keep me busy for several lifetimes.

The additional information given in the Pro version would not be useful to me, as I would not be able to see most of those objects anyway.

#11 mooncheese

mooncheese

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

I just ordered and downloaded the SkySafari 5 plus based on Astro-NC advice....Question?  I downloaded this app to my Mac computer...Will I be able to use this app on my computer or should I stick to the I-Pad...Thank you....Easily Confused in Sarasota

#12 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

The Mac and iOS versions of SkySafar are separate purchases.  You buy the Mac version from the Mac App Store and the iOS one from the iTunes App Store.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics