•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vote for Nov 2016 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Finalists

imaging/sketching contest
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

Poll: Nov 2016 finals (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Please select one

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to the November 2016  Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the user base to vote on. The winning entry will be posted on the front page of the Cloudy Nights website for all to admire! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest. (Contest Rules)

Please choose your favorite from the entries below. The poll will remain open through December 15th at midnight.

Here are the entries for November. Good luck to all the finalists!

Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Attached File  Bradicus.jpg   236.61KB   1 downloads

Bradicus

SH2-157 (Lobster Claw Nebula)

Scope: SV105 with Stellarvue SFFR102-3FT focal reducer

Camera: QSI 660 WSG-8

Mount: Orion Atlas EQ-G

Filters: Astrodon 5nm HA and 3nm OIII

Date: September 25th - 27th 2016

Imager: Brad Benedict (Bradicus)

Film Astrophotography

Attached File  Michal1.jpg   498.2KB   1 downloads

Michal1

The nebulosity in eastern Cepheus.

I took this photo during my astro trip to Austria in October, 2016. I took it near the Lesachtal town close to the borer with Italy, altitude around 1300 m. It was the only place in Central Europe which was both relatively little polluted and cloudless that time. I can be happy that I didn't break my car when I was approaching the final observing place in the mountains. On the other hand, I have experienced one of the best nights there. When I assembled my setup, the I noted how structured Milky Way was in eastern Cepheus. It looked like made of pieces of cotton wool. I took its photo even if it was after culmination. This is the result.

The photo was taken using a Pentax 6x7 camera and 200mm SMC lens at f/5.6, exposure time of 45 min on Kodak E200 film. I used my homemade vacuum back to ensure that the film stays flat. The EQ6 mount was polar aligned using my PARot program and the exposure time was measured using my computer stopwatch program for film astrophotography. The film was scanned for me on Nikon 9000 ED.

I combined the photo with another of almost the same area taken a month before at my usual place near the Votice town, Czech Republic. The exposure settings and equipment were similar. Most of the image you see here is a stack of two frames but some parts are a single-shot.

I recommend to see a higher resolution version of the shot here. And here is an annotated image at astrometry.net.

CS,
Michal Bilek (Michal1)

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Attached File  jakob1234.jpg   430.58KB   1 downloads

jakob1234

The elephants trunk nebula.

Taken with iso200 (2hours 47min) 1 and 2 november.

Processed in PS, DSS, PI and fitswork

Equipment used:

Nikon D5500 Astromodded H-alpha
HEQ5 PRO mount
Skywatcher 200 PDS

QHY II Autoguider

CCD Imaging & Processing

Attached File  Jared.jpg   485.91KB   1 downloads

Jared

OK, I didn't make it to the finals last month with my submission for M31.  Here is the same subject again, captured on a different night (totally new data, though it looks a lot like last month's submission).  I think I did a better job on data acquisition, calibration, and processing this time, so I thought I'd submit again.

M31, captured in Oakland, CA on the night of 10/22/2016
Astro-Physics 130 EDF GT(X) refractor
Quad TCC Telecompressor, scope running at f/4.6
Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO mount
SBIG STXL-11000, self guided, Astrodon Gen 2 LRGB filters
x10 luminance frames, 300s each; x5 RG&B frames, 300s each
Guided and captured in Maxim DL; Calibration, RGB Combine, and Digital Development in CCD Stack; Post Processing in Photoshop

Solar System Imaging & Processing

Attached File  leisurelyscientist.jpg   142.12KB   1 downloads

leisurelyscientist

Last Night’s First Quarter Moon from Weatherly, Pennsylvania

Here is a view of last evening’s (November 7, 2016) first quarter moon from Weatherly, PA. At the time the image was taken, the moon was 52% illuminated.

Tech Specs: Canon 6D at prime focus of a Meade LX90 12” telescope, best 1000 frames of 3000 frames processed in AS!2 and final edit in Corel Paintshop (ISO 2000 and 1/400 second for each exposure).

Sketching

Attached File  Randolph Jay.jpg   179.71KB   1 downloads

Randolph Jay

Here is the sketch of Plato on the waning moon that I did on November 22nd from Sarasota Florida.  I used a Skywatcher 90mm Mak-Cass with a Televue 9mm lens.  The sketch was done on Artagain black sketch paper, Conte white and black pastel crayons and pencils and some white charcoal.  I used a cell phone camera and then created the black oval mask using Gimp.  I am posting the labelled version of this sketch.  The labels were also added using Gimp.  What a sight!  Unfortunately the next two nights/ mornings were clouded out or I would have done more early morning observing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging/sketching contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics