•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cloudy December Project - Reflectix Shield

Meade DIY SCT
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrJones

MrJones

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

Wasn't there a Cats photos thread? Anyway, here's my Meade 6" ACF with LT mount and AudioStar on a Meade 2" Standard Field Tripod drilled to hold the LT mount. I use a Telrad and GSO 2" SCT diagonal. Although the obstruction is bigger than the C6's, the baffle is 31mm and I can get a full 2 degree FOV with decent illumination using a Meade 34mm SWA and my Antares f/6.3 reducer.

This has been a preferred winter scope for me due to small size, quick cooldown and very accurate GOTOs with 2 star alignment. I had been using my old C9.25 dewshield (a bad solution) but finally decided to make a Reflectix shield as others have done. The Meade cover fits on the inside of the OTA and has a molded on grip so I will leave the dewshield on. I painted the inside with a light coat of flat Rustoleum camouflage (out of black) that looks much better than expected. I will probably add a light coat of flat black at some point.

The Reflectix is very easy to work with and it took 30 minutes to cut it, paint it and put it on with a little packing tape. Just need a clear night now!

6a.jpg 6b.jpg 6c.jpg

• barbarosa likes this

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Good way to go. :waytogo:

One thing though, most paint does not adhere tightly and will sooner or later begin to flake off. Acrylic paint applied with a brush seems to do best. You can also coat the Reflectix with a spray or brush on adhesive and paint over the dried adhesive.

Others have glued in  a layer of felt or similar material. If not just be prepared for the flaked off bits of paint and the need for occasional touch up when you actually can see some flare or loss of contrast.

Reflectix remains my dew shield of choice no matter how its done.

There is also I think a gain from wrapping the entire tube as you did in cold or dewy weather.

Edited by barbarosa, 11 December 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#3 MrJones

MrJones

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

Thanks, I keep hearing good things about Reflectix full tube covers and dewshields. I thought I'd try the paint before fooling around with something more complicated. I'm expecting it'll come off eventually but the Rustoleum Camouflage series is its own formulation and I've been impressed with it on other things. It seems really weather resistant for one. After a day of drying on the Mylar it's looking good so we'll see!

#4 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Looks like the Just-Cheney dew shield I had for my Mak, only it had black felt on the inside.  It did a very good job.

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

OK I will bite. What is the advantage of a reflective dew shield? 

• Sarkikos likes this

#6 MrJones

MrJones

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

The main idea is to insulate the whole tube to reduce tube currents and Reflectix is a very effective and light weight insulator. It's kind of foil coated double layer bubble wrap. With a heater it's a great solution for dew and frost prevention but it also helps a lot to have just the insulation.

#7 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

FYI

Joann Fabrics has the heavy black felt. You'll want that for backing the reflectix. 

I used the spray on adhesive people use to make signs with foam core

The main issue I had is coming up with a good adhesive for the velcro, but I believe the self adhesive type works better than glue

http://www.cloudynig...tix-dew-shield/

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, DIY, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics