•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2017 Eclipse Price Gouging

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Eclipse Gouging Victim

Well, it happened to me today.

I made reservations for the upcoming August eclipse back in January 2016 at the Days Inn in Casper Wyoming. I confirmed the reservation in April 2017 and was about to confirm it again when I got the telephone call.

The ownership had changed (but the hotel is still a Days Inn) and the new proprietorship does not feel obligated to honor the old rate.  I was offered a reduced price of about $300, given the going rate of $500, which I declined.

I used to be a frequent stayer of Days Inn (rewards member for years), so I placed a complaint with corporate customer service.

My plan "B" is being developed ...

I'm posting this as a warning to others -- be aware that this may also happen to you, as it did to folks elsewhere, since it is not illegal, just unethical (or as some might say, "It's just Good Business").

• BarrySimon615 and comprapescado like this

#52 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:35 AM

Will most likely car camp, drive up to Oregon a couple days before, stay somewhere way off the path, get up very early eclipse day and drive to center line area.    The woman I work for wants to take her grandson and a friend, and my attempts at getting her to put it on her calendar are gone for naught - it will be a last minute thing with her.  So I'm making plans to really rough it...to see a second total solar eclipse!

I'd advise against that, as ODOT is issuing 'dire' predictions of epic proportions as far as traffic. I would get to the path of totality at _LEAST_ the night before. 

• George N and comprapescado like this

#53 Charlie B

Charlie B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Dang! I paid $22 a day for my campsite. frown.gif But I have electricity!

grin.gif

Event pricing doubled my campsite fee.  Full hookup for $50/night and reserved last year at a state park.

Regards,

Charlie B

#54 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Staying with my sister who lives in Kansas City and haven't seen in awhile. Trip won't be a bust even

if I get clouded out.

#55 Jim Haley

Jim Haley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hello.......

New older guy here(59)  back to the hobby after 3 decades away.....Turning 60 in June so this eclipse is my gift to me...

Im planning on seeing the eclipse...I am in Fairfield, Ct   I was looking at Charleston...but I decided I was  not going to risk the weather.....I thought I'd watch the weather and keep driving west......Tennessee  Kansas who knows? I love car trips ....especially  when  the family is not with me...seriously.

Wife is fine with not driving to some non specific destination. Her idea of camping is the Marriott etc.

I plan to play it by ear.....maybe even end up in Wyoming...does not matter.....good night skies along the way.....If I cant find a little hotel is some small town I can tough if out in my Jeep Cherokee   but I need to be flexible. This is my plan .Maybe I can get a room 50 miles away from the line of totality  and drive in that morning   then go back

What are some  other ideas folks are tossing around?

Barry

Fairield, Connecticut

Thanks

Barry

Barry,  One might change their mind about SC after reading a few articles on afternoon clouds in SC.  For example here is a good one. http://eclipsophile....-the-carolinas/   Basically they say eclipse cooling my reduce / eliminate the typical afternoon cumulonimbus clouds.  Also, that being near a large body of water also helps and being on the coast is best.  Finally NW South Carolina is better than the rest of the state (except perhaps the coast).   My general conclusion is that SC is superior to NC and TN IF one is willing to adjust plans the day before and/or move last minute.  

From this NOAA interactive map I clicked on Charleston (which is actually Charleston airport several miles inland) and found less than 10% chance for totally clear or totally overcast clouds.  Scattered / broken clouds are the remaining 80% which is why I think it is so important to be able to move last minute (which eclipse traffic may may impossible in a car).    If totally overcast or totally clear should be able to predict that 2 days before eclipse and I will move upstate then.  I think pretty small chance of totally overcast on the coast AND upstate but if that happens only then will I move on to TN.

Edited by Jim Haley, 21 July 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#56 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Dang! I paid $22 a day for my campsite. frown.gif But I have electricity!

grin.gif

Event pricing doubled my campsite fee.  Full hookup for $50/night and reserved last year at a state park.

Regards,

Charlie B

Yup. Same thing happened at the park I'm going to be at. Glad I reserved last August. They raised the price a couple months ago.

#57 Jim Haley

Jim Haley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

I don't get it. Why should one think of an overnight stay at a hotel for an event that last a couple of minutes? Why can't one find a parking spot in a public parking lot or at a Walmart to park for an hour or two? Take out your equipment in time for the event and pack it quickly back to drive off. 

Just wondering

Basic economics really.

I'm not even going to try to lodge some where, and the equipment will either sell out or become too costly. I don't plan on seriously trying to photograph it, more than simply experience it. I'm only going to see a partial (80% tops?) eclipse here in Florida. I'd have to go to TN to see totality. I'm not really ready to do that drive and I will not fly. I have a 3 year old in tow, otherwise, I'd drive to TN without reservation. But dragging my 3 year old and her mother with me, let alone other people who might go, I'm doubting I'll bother with that.

I think if I were to drive some where near by to see totality, I'd just look into renting an RV and call it a day. We can sleep in a parking lot in the RV at a Cracker Barrel or Warlmart or Publix!

Very best,

Is Charleston SC any closer?  What about keeping the family outside totality then just darting into the eclipse path?

#58 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

I called a hotel in Illionis last year in Dec, talked to the gentleman as his website mentioned to call for Aug 21st reservations/rates, the guy wouldn't give me a rate, he kept saying its going to cost a lot (may be he was trying to see if I was some rich kid with a wealthy father who likes to throw money). I asked patiently multiple times but NO he would not say how much will it cost. Weird, not sure why he put it on his website to call for rates. 

#59 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

I verified my room, but they didn't say anything about the rate, just that it was confirmed.

#60 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

Eclipse Gouging Victim

I made reservations for the upcoming August eclipse back in January 2016 at the Days Inn in Casper Wyoming. I confirmed the reservation in April 2017 and was about to confirm it again when I got the telephone call.

The ownership had changed (but the hotel is still a Days Inn) and the new proprietorship does not feel obligated to honor the old rate.  I was offered a reduced price of about $300, given the going rate of $500, which I declined.

I used to be a frequent stayer of Days Inn (rewards member for years), so I placed a complaint with corporate customer service.

I'm posting this as a warning to others -- be aware that this may also happen to you, as it did to folks elsewhere, since it is not illegal, just unethical (or as some might say, "It's just Good Business").

I believe this is against the law in the state of WY.  Once you have a confirmed written reservation they have an obligation to honor it.  I would follow up with a letter to the new owner, citing the law from the state website and CC Days Inn Corp and the state attorney general's office.

#61 dghundt

dghundt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

You could give them, now, a sample of the AG letter sent to everyone doing that in Oregon.

• SteveRosenow likes this

#62 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

There might be various state and federal laws against this practice. Secure your plan B and then sue and or complain to the AG afterwards. I hope the practicers of this fraud lose much more than they dreamed they'd make taking advantage of people.

#63 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

One of the first things that I did after I reserved two rooms in Jefferson City, MO back in September, 2016, was to print my confirmation, which includes the motel address, the price of my rooms ($107.00 at a Marriott property), my room types and my confirmation number.  I have talked to Reservations at Marriott and was told that my reservation was good and it would not be cancelled or changed.  Still and all, I will have a printed copy with me.

Later I did see that the price had virtually doubled at this property, and if you go on the Marriott website now all properties in Jefferson City now say "Request Quote".  Someone near me wrote and asked where we would be staying.  When he checked all Marriott properties in Jefferson City are showing as "sold out".  It may be beneficial to check back periodically because there could be an occasional cancellation from a person with a reservation not made because of the eclipse.

We may very well not stay at the motel where we have reservations due to weather and it's effect on the eclipse.  Marriott's cancellation policy is that a reservation can be cancelled without penalty if done 24 hours before the reservation date.  Our reservation is for the 20th, so I will have to check and see if a cancellation can be made without penalty up until 3 pm on the 19th, or if it would have to be done prior to midnight on the 18th (one full 24 hour period before the 20th starts).  Arguing semantics, but knowing something like this could save us money.

Plan B would be to stay somewhere south of the path of totality where prices are lower and push up into the path on the morning of the eclipse.

Unfortunately I think that with what will be happening with this eclipse (many cancellations nation wide and pricing either too high from the consumer perspective or too low from the perspective of the hotel operator), hotels and motels will head into the 2024 eclipse with a lot more knowledge than what they had going into this one.  Room prices will be higher earlier and cancellation deadlines will be pushed back to a week or longer before the eclipse date when eclipse chasers will have no real idea of how the weather could potentially affect viewing of the eclipse.

Barry Simon

#64 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

We're driving from Longview Texas early the AM of the 20th to Cleveland TN (just inside totality) where we have a reservation for two nights. We'll be in our minivan (Sienna), which I will top off just as I enter TN or in Northern Alabama - to maximize cheaper fuel prices - TN usually is quite cheap, but...??? We have one of those wonderful Coleman 12Vdc coolers, which will be fully stocked before we leave Texas; food and beverage, etc. So, we should arrive in Cleveland around 6PM give or take (it's a 9 1/2 hour drive from experience).  Plenty of time to check in, and start following the weather, with the flexibility to drive pretty much anywhere needed, starting at whatever hour needed the next morning. If local food places are usurious, we eat from the cooler!

Booked the night of the 21st, so can then rest up for the following day's long drive to Hagerstown MD, on the way back to greater Boston. I booked 3 weeks ago and pretty much got the last room in what I'd call decent hotel in the general Cleveland area, and at a mostly non-usurious price... Athens (more in totality zone) was already sold out...

It's the great american "road trip".

The van is big, comfortable, and gets 20mpg, so have range of around 350-400 miles; if I have to pay usurious gas prices for ONE fill-up; I will. Plenty of room for all our stuff for the two week trip: photo gear, tripods, solar scope, luggage, etc...

I have the DeLorme map for TN, solar maps for surrounding states.

I think I've got it covered in a way that minimizes exposure to most usurious costs...

anyone think if I'm missing anything?

#65 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, gouging pretty common. There is a place near Powell Butte in Central Oregon that is charging $200 per night for dry camping - drove by their sign on US 26 the other day. What is worse is that location has only about 30 seconds of totality so one still has to drive for any decent time of totality. I do not know if they are stupid or greedy or both.

As for me, I live under 1 minute 19 at my home so will be there with family and friends.....

I do think the talk of no gas and no food and traffic gridlock are being overblown. This sort of rumor always happens. Crowded, sure, shut down, probably not.  Of course I will get everything I need a week ahead of time so I will just sit on my deck and watch the traffic a mile away and 200 feet below on 26.

#66 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Eclipse Gouging Victim

According to Google this Days Inn is still owned by the Wyndham Hotel group.  I would contact Wyndham to verify and then let them know you are going to file fraud and bait and switch charges against them if this is not rectified.  See what they say after that.  Don't forget to let them know you are a rewards member.

#67 Juggar

Juggar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Franklin, NC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Unfortunately price gouging seems common in pretty much every town in totality.

Lucky my little town is in totality, of course im sure it will be descended upon like vultures on a dead carcass come eclipse day. 

#68 Steeveaux

Steeveaux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wichita, KS

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Any thoughts or ideas of how to best handle the matter which will likely be encountered somewhere along the way?

Bring enough money and plan ahead.

#69 Steeveaux

Steeveaux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Wichita, KS

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

Lucky my little town is in totality, of course im sure it will be descended upon like vultures on a dead carcass come eclipse day. 

And so we're vultures?

#70 Juggar

Juggar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Franklin, NC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

And so we're vultures?

Certainly, not a single person here wants thousands of random people here. Except maybe the motels. 

We dont have anything happen here, ever. leave us alone and let us have this. 

Haha im just kidding!  It should be great for us economically if a bit irritating to us locals. 

• Jim Haley and Steeveaux like this

#71 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

It can work, but tourist are messy. Please visitors, clean up after yourselves.

#72 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

My wife and I have made a decision about corrupt business practices and if we were confronted with them, we will turn tail and go home.

I cannot envision any problem with getting a flight away from totality.  There will be other eclipses -- two in Argentina in 2019 and 2020.

Edited by ed_turco, 27 July 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#73 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I've mentioned before, if you haven't paid a deposit on a room reservation you do not have a contract enforceable by law.  If you have paid a deposit, you are entitled to recoup some damages. 

If you have a Confirmed Reservation, you have a different circumstance.  Less possibility of redress.  Below is a simplified summary of the difference, obtained from a contract attorney:

• Prepaid / Guaranteed Reservation – If the hotel fails to honor your reservation, the hotel has breached a contract and must do everything possible to find you another room, even if it means sending you to another hotel. If the alternate accommodations are more expensive, the hotel is responsible for the difference, as well as the cost for any related incidentals (i.e. travel or phone calls to notify others about your change of plans).
• Confirmed Reservation – The hotel must honor your reservation unless you fail to meet the conditions of your reservation, if any. If you meet the conditions and the hotel nonetheless does not have a room for you, then the hotel must do its best to find comparable accommodations for you.

So, your confirmed reservation means the hotel only has to do its best......

Caveat emptor

#74 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Eclipse Gouging Victim

I believe this is against the law in the state of WY.  Once you have a confirmed written reservation they have an obligation to honor it.  I would follow up with a letter to the new owner, citing the law from the state website and CC Days Inn Corp and the state attorney general's office.

I'm booked at an Indian casino on a reservation.  I wonder if the same laws apply there.  They've been quite nice and up front about costs, far more professional than some of the money grubbing clods out there.

#75 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

Speaking of price gouging, who here has $10,000? 

No previous listings of this house, looks like someone is trying to cash in on this event. 

https://www.airbnb.c...8-21&s=ejOJXQWs

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics