•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D Printed Classic Telescope Parts Files

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Thought I would start a thread containing links to my 3D printed "free" part files  for classic telescopes on Thingiverse.com.  The first is a 0.965" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter I drew up along the lines of the plastic Zeiss eyepiece holders that use "springy" internal dimples to center and hold snugly the eyepiece barrel.  Easy and very cheap to make, works great!    

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1963561

IMG_5497_zps1zujgy75.jpg

IMG_5502_zpslzchuzxa.jpg

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 13 December 2016 - 09:31 PM.

• mattyfatz, albert1, Mak2007 and 11 others like this

#2 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

3D printing parts is incredible, I'm totally blown away by this.

I remember seeing it on Jay Leno's garage a few years ago and said

to myself, wow that is cool!

To see your telescope parts is even cooler!

Robert

Edited by actionhac, 13 December 2016 - 09:47 PM.

• albert1, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#3 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:04 PM

I have printed similar duty permanent sleeves for several of my nonstandard EP's with a super tight fit instead. As I don't think I'll ever need to use them with anything else. But if I need to, I can always just cut it out back and print another one as needed. That's the beauty of 3D printed prototyping - you can get an individual perfect fit any time and effortlessly redo whatever and whenever as needed.

• paulymo and Ben Bajorek like this

#4 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

Nice!  What I need are 2 sleeves for my Mogey.  One would adapt the antique eyepieces, the other would adapt 1.25" eyepieces.  I don't have a 3D printer, but I do have $$ for these parts.  Ideally, they'd be removable, like the .965" to 1.25" sleeve I already have.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#5 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Robert!  I love Jay Leno's Garage, anyone who loves old cars and steam engines can't do much wrong.  Leno's 3d printer back then was some kind of industrial machine that I'm sure cost well over six figures and required some technician to visit it once a week.  

My first introduction to 3d printing was back in the 80's when my father would bring home sample parts from his lab at Ford Motor that were printed with a very early stereolithography 3d printer.  He would exclaim how revolutionary these parts were and we would look at the crude plastics chunks and laugh! 

Ben

• clamchip likes this

#6 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

I really need to start using my 3D printer.   This is what I bought it for.   However, having a 3D scanner would make it easier to duplicate parts.

• xiando and Ben Bajorek like this

#7 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

3d scanner importance is overrated. I see its utility in replicating an art (or really complex surfaces like a human face; I personnaly want to scan my head in order to print masks and goggles without resorting to foam spacers), but for anything practical you need just a sliding caliper, a decent CAD app, and some basic geometry knowledge. The accuracy of modern 3d scanners (at under $5k) is insufficient for direct printer driving and seriosly complicating CAD model processing on the astronomy related projects scale.

Edited by halx, 14 December 2016 - 11:23 AM.

• mattyfatz and Ben Bajorek like this

#8 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

.. So I have access to a 3D scanner. I thought I would dismantle my Edmund 1.25" focuser and scan all its parts. At the library they have a Makerbot printer that uses a tough black resin (something like ABS) , I thought I would print and assemble the new plastic focuser as a backup, or for another project. I also have a Tasco 9VR that I'd like to duplicate. 

I'm not sure I could accurately measure and enter the dimensions with a caliper.  :belushi:

• clamchip likes this

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Or you could just buy one, or at least the black crinkle-finish cast-metal body for it. You have a 3" Edmund refractor IIRC?

http://www.surplussh...item/t1678.html

PS- I don't think you would be happy with plastic gearing. You can shop around internet and find the metal rack and matching pinion from several sources. A chrome finish metal 1.25" sink trap extender will work for the sleeve.

• mattyfatz, clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

#10 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:11 PM

Thought I would start a thread containing links to my 3D printed "free" part files  for classic telescopes on Thingiverse.com.  The first is a 0.965" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter I drew up along the lines of the plastic Zeiss eyepiece holders that use "springy" internal dimples to center and hold snugly the eyepiece barrel.  Easy and very cheap to make, works great!    

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1963561

IMG_5497_zps1zujgy75.jpg

IMG_5502_zpslzchuzxa.jpg

Is that metal or plastic?

#11 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

Here are the plans for a "rack" that can be used to replace this portion of rack and pinion focuser's....

#12 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

Or you could just buy one, or at least the black crinkle-finish cast-metal body for it. You have a 3" Edmund refractor IIRC?

PS- I don't think you would be happy with plastic gearing. You can shop around internet and find the metal rack and matching pinion from several sources. A chrome finish metal 1.25" sink trap extender will work for the sleeve.

Thanks! I don't know how I've missed this one on the SS site. I found only high priced items for gear racks. Do have a good source in mind? :confused:

• terraclarke likes this

#13 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

Worm gears...

& worm drive..   Handy for fixing mounts.

#14 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Terra is right. You wouldn't like what you get 3D printing any standard metal gears. Even though there are plenty of such models online - in the real life the accuracy of consumer grade 3D prints is less than 0.1mm. It is possible to "post-process" prints, but that will take a lot of time and experience, but wouldn't guarantee good enough results still. You need special engineering solutions instead. Like helical focuser with 6 angled rollers (don't remember the name). Unless you have access to a really high-end printer and acquire experience dealing with expensive advanced plastics.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#15 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

Thanks! I don't know how I've missed this one on the SS site. I found only high priced items for gear racks. Do have a good source in mind? :confused:

https://www.mcmaster...-gears/=15k246z

• Bomber Bob likes this

#16 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Alex, In my experience the accuracy of the the Reprap style FDM 3d printers in the .01mm to .03mm range is achievable.  I'm talking about 3d printers that cost between $300 Printrbot Play to the $3500 Ultimaker 3.  Most industrial FDM machines are not any better in accuracy, and with the newer stronger and easier to print plastic filaments most of their advantages have been lost.  The market is transitioning from a model similar to the way the computer market went from main frame to micro.  But don't get too excited, 3d printing is a much smaller market for the foreseeable future.  

That being said, the buzz surrounding 3d printing a few years ago is like all the hyperbola surrounding self driving vehicles today.  It's certainly a scam when tech stocks get bought up on hyped up promises based on fantasies.  And then everyone gets **** off at the technology when the stock prices collapse back to "reality".   

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 21 December 2016 - 03:48 AM.

#17 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

I can't believe that, Ben. The most practical nozzle size is 0.2 mm (otherwise it will print for ages and will clog often). Even if the nozzle positioning is rock solid precise with 0.01mm accuracy (which is always having some play) your typical plastics (PLA, ABS) are naturally expanding / shrinking unpredictably because of the almost unavoidable temperature variations (nozzle's temp and surrounding air's), because of the printing head vibrations, even because of your printed part's specific geometry. Add to that filament contamination from ordinary dust and moisture in the air, from oil on your hands, filament twisting and grinding in the feeder's gears, etc. No way it could produce 0.01mm precise parts to replicate polished metal parts like precise gears.

Your eyepiece holder on the image above looks indeed really neatly printed, though. What is the material and printing settings you have used? Any post processing applied?

Edited by halx, 21 December 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#18 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi Alex,  Oh, you are correct.  I was pretty much thinking about tolerances between different copies of the same 3d printed parts.  Z height, the vertical dimension, is limited down to .05mm on my printer but the X and Y axis dimension accuracy can theoretically be about .01mm.  But real world dimensionality is off those numbers.  Still one can produce cool parts, while being home sick!  Like I am today.

Here are some drawings of a control rod flexible joint for my Cooke telescope mount.  I'm making it out of a flexible polyurethane plastic, called SemiFlex .  With it's internal structure there is really no other way to make a part with it's form except with additive methods.  I'll post some more pictures when it's finished printing, so far so good.

Cooke%20Control%20Rod%20Fitting_zpsjmmkr

Cooke%20Control%20Rod%20Fitting%20Cutawa

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 21 December 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#19 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

It's really works, nice motion hooked up to the old Cooke mount!  The other shot is a progress picture as it was printing.  Old Thomas Cooke would be smiling.    

IMG_5548_zpsglxijomu.jpg

IMG_5545_zpsczedlkma.jpg

• mattyfatz, halx and Bomber Bob like this

#20 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

Here's the link to the files for the Cooke control rod parts, flexible joint and knob on a 3/8" wood dowel.

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1995962

IMG_5592_zpsu1tkkzde.jpg

#21 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Remembered that Bardou objective lens cap?  Here's a link to the file.  You could scale the print for other size scopes.

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1996192

IMG_5101_zpsk7fdnldg.jpg

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 25 December 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#22 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Another file, a 3d printed Bardou tripod trivet that uses the legs from a Unitron 118/128 telescope.  I should have a file for the turned piece, the "eggplant",and thumb screw soon.  The trivet isn't an exact copy of the original trivet.  I went this way for added strength, wanted to be on the safe side.  I should call it the Bardutron trivet.

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1996653

IMG_5434_zpsyiihxn26.jpg

• tim53, clamchip, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#23 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

The Unitron 128 OTA counterweight file is here.

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:1997373

IMG_5080_zpskwxvjxi4.jpg

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#24 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

So the Zeiss Telementor mount  I have was missing three of the red colored plastic disks that fit into the control knobs.  They must have run out of red plastic for the disks at the Zeiss factory because of a rush order of bowling trophies for the Stasi bowling league, very understandable.  Drew up the disks and printed them out in PLA plastic.  Here's the link to the files.

http://www.thingiver...m/thing:2025739

IMG_5683_zpsmcqc9nc4.jpg

IMG_5684_zps6v6p5upl.jpg

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 09 January 2017 - 11:21 AM.

• Mike E., terraclarke, TSSClay and 1 other like this

#25 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Funny! What goes around comes around! A major theme in this forum with regard to the high quality of classics is their all metal/no plastic construction as compared to the poor quality of contemporary scopes because of their use of plastic parts. And now we are making plastic parts for classic telescopes. :lol:

• Astropilot, Bill Griffith, kansas skies and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics