•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D Printed Classic Telescope Parts Files

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#51 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

The amount of heat is localized to a very small area when melting the powdered metal into a form, build layers are very thin, so really not all that much electrical energy is being used.  A small laser sintering machine capable of making metal parts shouldn't take all that much amperage, I'll guess around 50amp peak.  Kind of like a medium size TIG welder.

I've been working on getting a decent quality print on this flexible urethane lens cap with the old CZJ logo on it, here's one of the works in progress.  I'm also working on one with a portrait of John Brashear emblazoned on the face.  

IMG_6979_zps9l1ldshq.jpg

• terraclarke likes this

#52 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Here a link to this CZJ lens cap, two sizes so far, one for the sixties era AS63/840  and another for the Telementor 1.  

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2539576

IMG_7002_zpsusxvlgzc.jpg

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#53 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

I was just thinking last weekend about having a part printed for my Meade RG and here is a thread about the subject. Got to love CN! The RA pointer on my mount is broken in two and I thought this might be a good way to have a new one made. I can get a hold of an identical one that is not broken for an example. How much would I be looking at to have it scanned and printed?

#54 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

I was just thinking last weekend about having a part printed for my Meade RG and here is a thread about the subject. Got to love CN! The RA pointer on my mount is broken in two and I thought this might be a good way to have a new one made. I can get a hold of an identical one that is not broken for an example. How much would I be looking at to have it scanned and printed?

Recreating a part from a 3D scan is tricky.  Editing a 3D scan into a printable part file takes a bit of work.  Most of the time it's easier to just draw the object in CAD, measuring with a micrometer.   Affordable scanners, getting popular with desktop 3D printers, work best on irregular sculptural shapes.  Not so well on parts requiring precision.  I really have no ideal of the cost to print your part.  Designing the print file is the majority of the cost.  

• terraclarke likes this

#55 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

I have a 3D printer that has a scanner, and I will affirm what everyone else says, they are not accurate enough to reproduce a precision part - think of a casting that then needs to be machined to tolerance- well the scanner will be less accurate than that, mine will also not scan any part smaller than 2" in any direction.
I can actually draw up most simple parts in CAD quicker than my printer could scan them (mind you CAD is my profession).
the other part of the issue is that you need to know the parameters of the printer that will be printing the part, external diameters are fine, but internal ones require the nozzle thickness to be added to the diameter of the hole required.

• Mr Magoo and Ben Bajorek like this

#56 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Photometric and laser scanning is pretty exciting.  I've seen scans of precision parts for aviation and automobile restorations that are really good.  It's just that most of the scanners that give excellent results are still really expensive.  

Grendel, what slicer program are you using on you 3D printer?

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 19 September 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#57 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

I have the Davinci XYZ printer, and at the moment I am happy using the software supplied. like they say - it does what it says on the box.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#58 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

I do remember a while back finding videos on YouTube of some RepRap guys designing/testing a metal sintering printer but can't seem to find it now. Now that I think of it I don't think they mention any power info or where it was set up i.e. home or hacker space.

This would be a good way to get your prints in metal: Lost PLA Casting.

I slice with KISSlicer. It was made by guy who prints alot in multi-materials/extruders.

• Bomber Bob and Ben Bajorek like this

#59 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

Don't they have a metal-based 3-D printer on the ISS? Seems I remember they printed some parts to fix something that had broken down a few months ago?

#60 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

I think just the FDM printer that prints plastic.

• terraclarke likes this

#61 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

I do remember a while back finding videos on YouTube of some RepRap guys designing/testing a metal sintering printer but can't seem to find it now. Now that I think of it I don't think they mention any power info or where it was set up i.e. home or hacker space.

This would be a good way to get your prints in metal: Lost PLA Casting.

I slice with KISSlicer. It was made by guy who prints alot in multi-materials/extruders.

Thanks for posting the casting link!  It's heartwarming to realize that importance of 3D printing in a future post apocalypse era.  

I have a dual extruder machine, with which I have haven't found the time to produce multi-filament prints with yet.  Most of my interest is in using soluble support materials, like PVA.  There are some interesting new support settings in the latest edition of slicer Simplify3d that I will try to learn, one day!  

#62 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Don't they have a metal-based 3-D printer on the ISS? Seems I remember they printed some parts to fix something that had broken down a few months ago?

you can download the parts from NASA and print them yourself:-

https://nasa3d.arc.n...tail/wrench-mis

• terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and Ben Bajorek like this

#63 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

Designed and printed out this DPAC test 3 inch mirror mount that clamps onto this specific Mogey lens cell.   This is made out of PETG plastic and it took about nine hours to print with a E3D BigBox, for those who are interested.  Eventually I will post this design file up to Thingaverse after, I'm sure, some revisions.  Next is some kind of eyepiece with a dimmable LED light source and a Ronchi screen built in.      

IMG_8032_zpspcam1tmg.jpg

DPAC%20Mirror%20Mount%203_zpsl63m4dca.pn

• memento, grendel, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#64 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

Here's my first versions of a 3D printed DPAC eyepiece that will contain a LED light source and allow 35mm Ronchi screens to slide into it.

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-13%20at%207.24.5

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-13%20at%207.16.2

Ronchi%20Eyepiece%202%20v1_zpsilqlhl4b.p

Ronchi%20Eyepiece%202%20v1%20back_zpsn8w

• Mr Magoo, rolo, Kasmos and 1 other like this

#65 Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

Amazing how far things have progressed since this thread began.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#66 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

Here's a lens cap model for a Bashear telescope which includes the signature of great engineer John Brashear.  I was able to create the signature from a picture I downloaded online, editing and converting the image from a .jpg into a .svg using a program call Inkscape, which is free to download.  By importing the scalable .svg file into Fusion 360, also free to download, I was able to extrude the signature into the lens cap model below.  BrashearSignatureObj.png

• jcruse64 likes this

#67 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:51 PM

I have a 3d printer and son with a degree in 3d modeling.  Maybe I need to put him to work making parts.   I can always buy a better 3d printer.   

• jcruse64 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics