•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3D Printed Classic Telescope Parts Files

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 daltons

daltons

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:57 PM

Here is my  3D printed Vixen clamp adapter for Mizar H-100 EQ, the white one grin.gif

VAX4yvY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• halx and Ben Bajorek like this

#77 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:48 AM

Here is my  3D printed Vixen clamp adapter for Mizar H-100 EQ, the white one grin.gif

Nice work.  Can you tell us more about your mount? What kind of printer did you use?  What design software?    

One thing I noticed a NEAF 2019 was the 3D printed parts used on some of the higher end, low volume, telescopes.  PlaneWave had a large 3D printed baffle tube on the big telescope they were displaying.  

#78 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

Here is a link to the files to print out the DPAC Eyepiece.

https://www.thingive...m/thing:3553363

That’s so cool Ben! Greatest thing to come down the since the Gerd Neumann Ronchi eyepiece. You should think about making more and selling them! 

• eklf and Ben Bajorek like this

#79 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Albany, California, USA

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:36 PM

I wish I had a 3d printer.  (and knew how to use it!).

I could imagine a version of this customized to accept one's particular webcam or machine vision camera.

-Tim.

That's the primary application of a home 3D printer. I'm printing custom mating adapters to various things nearly every week :)

• tim53 and Ben Bajorek like this

#80 highfnum

highfnum

Skylab

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:17 PM

the only 3D printed part I have for clave eyepiece

clave.jpg

• tim53, pbealo, halx and 1 other like this

#81 daltons

daltons

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:46 AM

Nice work.  Can you tell us more about your mount? What kind of printer did you use?  What design software?    

One thing I noticed a NEAF 2019 was the 3D printed parts used on some of the higher end, low volume, telescopes.  PlaneWave had a large 3D printed baffle tube on the big telescope they were displaying.  

I dont have a 3D printer so I designed the adaptor on Sketchup and sent to a 3D print shop for printing, using PLA filament.

The mount is belonged to a Mizar H-100 reflector , it can only carry the OTA which made for it, with some adjustment  It could carry some other scope grin.gif

post-26885-14074304959465.jpg

nXbIG0P.jpg

I used threaded insert on the adaptor for more secure

wTWuyhc.jpg

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#82 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

I might argue that by now the venerable Telrad is approaching classic accessory status.

Here's a link to a killer 3d printer project replacement.

https://www.instruct...ur-Astronomers/

I know nothing about 3d printing but if anyone can make these parts, I'd love to build this new version of this classic item!

Steve

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#83 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

I might argue that by now the venerable Telrad is approaching classic accessory status.

Here's a link to a killer 3d printer project replacement.

https://www.instruct...ur-Astronomers/

I know nothing about 3d printing but if anyone can make these parts, I'd love to build this new version of this classic item!

Steve

WOW! Very cool indeed. I especially like the fact the reticle is printed too.

It deserves the image:

FA1JYUWJOEW7R1I.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&widt

My usual complaints still apply though: Excessive use of screws and too much of repeating the original design solutions.

I've been thinking about the similar project a while ago, as Telrad is my sole pointing device, but now I have a different plan for that (hope to unveil the end result of it soon).

Edited by halx, 12 April 2019 - 03:43 PM.

• semiosteve, tim53, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#84 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

• Loc: NEOhio

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

WOW! Very cool indeed. I especially like the fact the reticle is printed too.

It deserves the image:

FA1JYUWJOEW7R1I.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&widt

My usual complaints still apply though: Excessive use of screws and too much of repeating the original design solutions.

I've been thinking about the similar project a while ago, as Telrad is my sole pointing device, but now I have a different plan for that (hope to unveil the end result of it soon).

Looking forward to that.

My chief beef about original design is awkwardness to use with some scopes. My Cave 8" RFT for example - land up buying risers, plus dew shield, plus right angle viewing option, plus dew heater....on and on. Adds up to the cost of a good RACI finder. But original is still more or less a classic I guess. 

I wonder if we should encourage a 3d printer classic repository for parts designs and such?

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#85 halx

halx

Vendor (DSO Planner)

• ****-
  • Vendors

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

My chief beef about original design is awkwardness to use with some scopes. My Cave 8" RFT for example - land up buying risers, plus dew shield, plus right angle viewing option, plus dew heater....on and on. Adds up to the cost of a good RACI finder. But original is still more or less a classic I guess. 

I wonder if we should encourage a 3d printer classic repository for parts designs and such?

Do you mean like a files library on the forum? I believe Thingiverse is much better for that technically. While for the rest we have around 5 topics on this forum for announcements. It's easy enough to monitor a few.

Regarding the Telrad - it's a straight through pointer, thus all the related issues. I'm lucky to live in a dry place, dew is a rare attraction here.

However, there is a trick. I have mine installed on the side of the OTA of my z12. Yes, below the Eyepiece.

Thus my flow is almost always as follows:
1. Mark the target in the observations list on the PDA screen (doing that since PalmOS PDAs, yes). (1 sec)

2. Point the OTA in the direction to the target (constellation) (5 sec).

3. Kneel on the foam pad (2 sec).

4. Match the view through Telrad with the chart on the PDA screen in the left hand and Dob's ball in the right side by side (10 sec).

5. Stand up (2 sec).

6. Match the view in the eyepiece with the chart on the PDA screen in the right hand and Dob's ball in the left side by side (5 sec).

7. Observe your target in just ~25 sec from No.1.

Sure thing, good knees are mandatory grin.gif

EDIT: Ohh, and for a small dob it's better to put it on a stand, so in a near-horizontal position you are not yet nose-digging the ground.

Edited by halx, 12 April 2019 - 06:43 PM.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#86 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

In the back of my old Jeep, a Mogey telescope and the E3D BigBox Printer.  The BigBox recently burn out it's motherboard and now I'm in the process of upgrading it from an 8 to 32 microstepping controller.  This should improve the print quality and make the printer run more quietly.  I also intend on upgrading to a PEI build surface on a flexible spring steel plate that attaches with magnates to the heated bed surface, easy print removal.  This will hopefully upgrade the BigBox to the level of quality and convenience I'm getting with the Prusa I3 MK3S that I showed earlier in this thread, as well a getting about a 20% greater build volume.  One of the nice things about using RepRap open design machines, like the BigBox and I3 MK3S, is the ability to troubleshoot and upgrade the machines with the help of plenty of people sharing ideals, just like Cloudy Nights!  

This is a good video of the Midwest RepRap Festival 2019!

https://www.youtube....h?v=-FvGRm7I1Dc

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8878.jpg

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 13 April 2019 - 03:22 PM.

• tim53, moshen, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#87 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

In the back of my old Jeep, a Mogey telescope and the E3D BigBox Printer.  The BigBox recently burn out it's motherboard and now I'm in the process of upgrading it from an 8 to 32 microstepping controller.  This should improve the print quality and make the printer run more quietly.  I also intend on upgrading to a PEI build surface on a flexible spring steel plate that attaches with magnates to the heated bed surface, easy print removal.  This will hopefully upgrade the BigBox to the level of quality and convenience I'm getting with the Prusa I3 MK3S that I showed earlier in this thread, as well a getting about a 20% greater build volume.  One of the nice things about using RepRap open design machines, like the BigBox and I3 MK3S, is the ability to troubleshoot and upgrade the machines with the help of plenty of people sharing ideals, just like Cloudy Nights!  

This is a good video of the Midwest RepRap Festival 2019!

https://www.youtube....h?v=-FvGRm7I1Dc

I've had my BigBox for a while and it's very reliable. I upgraded to a Buildtak flexible metal build plate and it made the printer much more convenient.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#88 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Finally tried out the DPAC testing rig I built for this Mogey telescope, works great.  I ended up printing the DPAC eyepiece out of a matte black filament, quite nice looking and it cuts down on possible glare.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Testing DPAC.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 12.21.04 PM.jpg

• moshen, ScottAstroNut, TSSClay and 1 other like this

#89 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Another shot of the DPAC eyepiece.  Printed the Ronchi grating slide on our home inkjet printer.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8954.jpg

• ScottAstroNut and TSSClay like this

#90 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

And finally a picture of the optic flat mirror mount that clamps onto the Mogey lens cell.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8953.jpg

• CharlieB, ScottAstroNut, halx and 2 others like this

#91 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

I have just printed a set of 3 pier feel for the tal1 I picked up for £30 at the car boot fair this morning.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#92 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

Here is a New York Times article about the reproduction of classic car parts with 3D printers.  Interesting to see the handheld Artec Eva scanner, that cost about $20K, being used to create a part.      

https://www.nytimes....pe=sectionfront

• jcruse64 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics