•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AutoStakkert! 3

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

George, there is no minimum amount of ram. If you process only small recordings (low MP), then having 4GB may be enough. But if you process large recordings, you may find that you need a minimum of 8GB to be able to process them without crashing. 

I suggest to have 16GB+, but it is certainly not required. 

Having a page file on SSD may help a bit, but nothing beats having 'real' ram memory available.

About CPU cores; more is better. Hyperthreading helps a bit (+-15% maybe), but 'real' cores are of course better. I'd like to test with new Ryzen in a month or so, and I suspect the 8 core version (16 hyperthreading) should work very nicely. Again though, there is no minimum. It will work with just one core, but especially when using >10 alignment points, AS! scales very well when more cores are available.

• George Bailey and eekeek77 like this

#27 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

hi george,

i got one of these. working well so far...

https://www.natex.us...128gb-12800.htm

Emil -

Can you tell me what you think the MINIMUM amount of RAM that would be usable with AS!3 ???

Can having a SSD cache help (I'm a chemist, not an IT!) ???

Thinking I might need a new computer ... also thinking I don't have the cash for a work station !!!

-

This is a 64-bit version of AutoStakkert!, and it can pretty much make use of all the memory you have in your system (so it actually makes sense to go for 32GB+ if you can, I find that the 16GB in my current system is often holding me back on processing. Still though, I think I might want to tweak the memory usage of AutoStakkert!3. If you have processing problems and you run out of memory, try disabling buffering (and let me know so I can try to have a look sometime).

• George Bailey likes this

#28 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, guys!

Looks like a 16GB computer is in my future.

#29 ivan11223

ivan11223

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: zhuhai,China

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Got a problem here,once I used AS!3,it shows up that↓ when I open AS!3 againfrown.gif

If you delete the LastSession.as3 file, does it then work next time you run it?

If not, if you delete the AutoStakkert.ini file, does it then work next run?

(this should help me to pinpoint the problem; what language do you have your OS running on by the way? It must be related to some stupid unicode thing I messed up, so I suspect I'm trying to read a weird - for me, not for you - character that it doesn't know how to work with. )

If the cause was in lastsession.as3 or autostakkert.ini, could you send me that file by email so I can have a look? 

Delete .as3 or .ini is not working,and I cant turn of the as!3 bth,it say another program is using the lastsession.as3.

My language is Chinese,on win7

The file is in you Email nowsmile.gif

#30 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

George, there is no minimum amount of ram. If you process only small recordings (low MP), then having 4GB may be enough. But if you process large recordings, you may find that you need a minimum of 8GB to be able to process them without crashing. 

I suggest to have 16GB+, but it is certainly not required. 

Having a page file on SSD may help a bit, but nothing beats having 'real' ram memory available.

About CPU cores; more is better. Hyperthreading helps a bit (+-15% maybe), but 'real' cores are of course better. I'd like to test with new Ryzen in a month or so, and I suspect the 8 core version (16 hyperthreading) should work very nicely. Again though, there is no minimum. It will work with just one core, but especially when using >10 alignment points, AS! scales very well when more cores are available.

I've been wondering how a Ryzen will get on. I'll be very interested to see the results.

#31 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

I think I'll be replacing my current computer (i7-3770) with a new system in the near future. I've been debating between an i5 7600K with 32 gig RAM or an i7 7700K with 16 gigs of RAM. Been bouncing between the two for weeks. My hunch is to go with the i7 because I can always add RAM to it in the future....

#32 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

If ypu don't play games then I would be addong a Ryzen to the list. I would love to know how well they work with AS!2.

#33 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

This isn't an AS3 or AS2 problem as pip does it as well but how do I get AS3 to not use frames that have been cut off? I think it thinks it's of good quality as there is a nice sharp edge. This happens as my 20" scope is a big sail in the wind.

All the frames that have been cut off like this are at the best quality end of after sorting.

as3test.jpg

• martinl and zAmbonii like this

#34 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

• Loc: (Mostly Cloudy) Ohio, USA

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

This isn't an AS3 or AS2 problem as pip does it as well but how do I get AS3 to not use frames that have been cut off? I think it thinks it's of good quality as there is a nice sharp edge. This happens as my 20" scope is a big sail in the wind.

All the frames that have been cut off like this are at the best quality end of after sorting.

attachicon.gifas3test.jpg

Click over on the frames slider and navigate to the offending frame and press the spacebar. The upper portion of that window will turn red, this frame will be ignored.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• space.jpg

• martinl, sglamb and Tyson M like this

#35 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

If ypu don't play games then I would be addong a Ryzen to the list. I would love to know how well they work with AS!2.

I'll leave that for someone else...**chuckle**

#36 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Haha I was either using my phone or I needed a coffee.

#37 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Click over on the frames slider and navigate to the offending frame and press the spacebar. The upper portion of that window will turn red, this frame will be ignored.

Steve

Thanks, that does work but it's a bit painful.

#38 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

Steve

Thanks, that does work but it's a bit painful.

Yeah, it can be. Another option is to use something like VirtualDub and edit out the bad frames. You just have to make sure that you have the correct processing mode selected, so that it does not use any compression (unless it's a lossless compression, like ULRG) and I think that would be 'direct stream copy', when it rewrites the file.

Steve

#39 yock1960

yock1960

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

Emil, I see that ULRG support is lacking so far! How far down the list is it?

Steve

#40 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

how do I get AS3 to not use frames that have been cut off?

If I remember correctly, there is a "detect abrupt lines" option hidden in the menus.
  • sglamb likes this

#41 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

I am thrilled at the improvement over some previous cuts when I just tell it to auto-place APs on Saturn.

Of course, now you're going to tell me nothing has changed in that area in years....

SAT_2016-06-26-0341_9-IR610_lapl5_ap27.jpg

• Sunspot and Tyson M like this

#42 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

how do I get AS3 to not use frames that have been cut off?

If I remember correctly, there is a "detect abrupt lines" option hidden in the menus.

Turns out I do have that turned on but it wont pick up the bad ones. It may have something to do with having AutoAlign turned on in firecapture when capturing because the planet doesn't then go off the edge.

• zAmbonii likes this

#43 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

I'll try to improve "detect abrupt lines", because that feature was meant for this specifically.

ivan11223, I'll have a look next week (I'll try to change my display settings to chinese to see if I can replicate it ;) )

ULRG? I'll see what can be done, if it is really easy, I'll implement support.

I am thrilled at the improvement over some previous cuts when I just tell it to auto-place APs on Saturn.

Of course, now you're going to tell me nothing has changed in that area in years....

Nothing has changed in... j/k. I think it is mostly the new quality estimator that works better most of the times. I have seen some nice improvements also for Mars and Jupiter recordings with this. 

• RedLionNJ and ivan11223 like this

#44 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

I'll try to improve "detect abrupt lines", because that feature was meant for this specifically.

ivan11223, I'll have a look next week (I'll try to change my display settings to chinese to see if I can replicate it wink.gif )

ULRG? I'll see what can be done, if it is really easy, I'll implement support.

Nothing has changed in... j/k. I think it is mostly the new quality estimator that works better most of the times. I have seen some nice improvements also for Mars and Jupiter recordings with this. 

If you want I can send you an avi that has these cut off frames if that would help. I can make some short avi's with pip so they aren't so big.

• kbev likes this

#45 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

Yes, please send me a few small recordings.

#46 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

Here's a dropbox link to a 200 frame 263mb file that has good and bad frames. There should be an option to download it at the top right.

https://www.dropbox....p_pipp.avi?dl=0

#47 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Please check this version:
http://www.astrokraa...ware/latest.php

- Fixed unicode bug when reading session file.
- Completely rewrote detect abrupt horizontal/vertical artifacts (e.g., planets moving partially off screen). It's turned off by default, but give it a try if you have difficult recordings (the setting is remembered).
- Moved frame information outside of displayed image in the frame view.
- Normalize stack can also work on RGB stacks for each channel independently (right click on normalize stack -> your setting is remembered, default is off).
- Default stackname now starts with the name of the source file, followed by a free field, and then additional stacking information. Check 'Stack(name) options' to change your preferences (setting is remembered).

@RAC, the detect abrupt [..] artifacts function works on the file you send, and appears to be quite robust. I haven't tested it on very many recordings, so I turned it off by default to play safe, but please give it a try!

@ivan11223. It should work. There was a unicode bug in a standard (!) library that I was using, so I switched to a different way of reading  text files for reading the session files (I got the same error with the LastSession.as3 you sent me, and it appears to be working 100% now). Some of my French sources also complained about the unicode error (.. I blame the weird characters that the French use. I feel a bit less comfortable blaming a Chinese langauge, hence this fix was made ;) )

@yock1960 I haven't looked into ULRG support, it is waaay down on the list. I spent the last 5 hours working on this version, and I'm tired ...

• Sunspot, dvmak and ivan11223 like this

#48 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

Wow that now works very very well bow.gif

#49 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Had two captures that were cut off on the top, and the new beta version handled them like a champ!

One problem I have had with the program is that the auto detect for color does not work right on some files.  I'm not sure why there are a few that are detected as mono though.  I should see if I can trim a a file with PIPP or VDub and send to you (while it still is not recognized by the auto detect).  I usually force the debayer because of this.

• yock1960 likes this

#50 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Emil I have a question.  Would Autostakkert be suitable for stacking images of Binary Stars?  I do lucky imaging of binary stars with the ultimate goal of measurement of the pairs.  The camera is an ASI 224 MC.....

Have any of your customers, that you know of, used Autostakkert in this way?

Or, has anyone reading this thread stacked double star videos with Autostakkert?

Thanks,

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics