•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AutoStakkert! 3

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 happylimpet

happylimpet

Vanguard

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Just did a comparison between results processing my latest data with As!2.6.8 and the new AS!3.

Surprised to see much more noise, though similar detail, in the new version. Both are the p12, conv output. One is G4, one lapl4. Other difference is slight change in AP size - 56 for AS!2 and 64 for AS!3, but I doubt this could be significant. AS!3 on left.

AS!3 cf AS!2.jpg

#77 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

What happens if you process them yourself and not use the conv output?

#78 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Try setting the Noise robust to 5 or 6 and see what happens (with 3).

• RedLionNJ and happylimpet like this

#79 happylimpet

happylimpet

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Aha thanks Paul! That nailed it. Relief! Laplace6 on the left in revised version.....

more as!3 tests.jpg

• Sunspot, JMP and RedLionNJ like this

#80 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

That was the first thing I noticed when I tried 3, Emil made the suggestion and now my noise robust stays at 5 or 6. Glad it worked for you!

• happylimpet likes this

#81 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

OK so I'm a bit of a doof.  Got to looking into the advanced settings of AS!3 and realized I never turned the "detect abrupt edges" setting, so I turned it on and tried the video I had problems with again.  On the plus side it did get past the one split/doubled frame, but on the negative side the frame it selected as the 'best quality' had part of the planet cut off by both the left and bottom edge of the frame.  Attached are screen captures of the first frame with align points and the 'best quality' frame after analysis.

Before analysis

edge_detect_1stframe.jpg

After analysis

edge_detect_analyzed.jpg

Emil, here is a link to the video I uploaded, so when you have time you can use it to try and figure out what is going on.  I'm wondering if it might have been due to the image being a bit darker, I had the histogram around 40-45% to get my frame rate up a bit.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#82 lucutes

lucutes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Sorry I am late to the party.

Has anybody tried using the version 3 beta on Mac yet? I tried using the WineWrapper method but it won't open. I haven't used my new ASI290MM on the previous version yet but I took some video using my C11 with a Nikon D750 and I am up against the compressed .mov file issue.  I tried converting it to .avi but it still won't take.  Any suggestions for this poor Mac user?

#83 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

OK so I'm a bit of a doof.  Got to looking into the advanced settings of AS!3 and realized I never turned the "detect abrupt edges" setting, so I turned it on and tried the video I had problems with again.  On the plus side it did get past the one split/doubled frame, but on the negative side the frame it selected as the 'best quality' had part of the planet cut off by both the left and bottom edge of the frame.  Attached are screen captures of the first frame with align points and the 'best quality' frame after analysis.

Before analysis

attachicon.gifedge_detect_1stframe.jpg

After analysis

attachicon.gifedge_detect_analyzed.jpg

Emil, here is a link to the video I uploaded, so when you have time you can use it to try and figure out what is going on.  I'm wondering if it might have been due to the image being a bit darker, I had the histogram around 40-45% to get my frame rate up a bit.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Yeah, this isn't working properly at the moment.

I haven't had time to work on AS!3, and very likely won't have time for the next couple of weeks, but after that I'll see what I can do (I downloaded the data)

Edited by MvZ, 08 May 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#84 RAC

RAC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Has anyone tested AS!3 with the 8 core Ryzen cpu's yet?

These days I seem to find myself stacking 10-12gb files and it's taking longer than I would like. I've got two PC's I use, my capture pc is an overclocked old 6 core 980X at 4.5ghz with an ssd and 12gb of ram but these old x58 systems don't have full speed sata3. My other system is an I7 6700k @ 4.7ghz, ssd and 16gb of ram. The 6 core 980X is a few % faster.

Things I could do to speed things up could be to get 32gb of ram so I can buffer a 12gb file? fit a good M.2 ssd? Although I just did a test and the buffering and image analysis stage is one of the longest and it's CPU bound and not hard drive bound with a Sata3 ssd as it was only reading at 104mb/s and every thread was at 100%

One thing I've notice looking at task manager is even when stacking AS!3 will use all threads but only at about 40% each?

#85 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

So I've been running the current beta version of AS!3 for the past few months and it had performed very well, but the past few times I've used it I get the following error when I try to exit:

as3_error.jpg

After this pops up I am forced to use Windows task manager to close out the program.  I may revert back to the stable version of AS!2 and see if it works any better.  Emil, if you have any suggestions I'll gladly try them out.

Edited by kbev, 15 January 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#86 happylimpet

happylimpet

Vanguard

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

So I've been running the current beta version of AS!3 for the past few months and it had performed very well, but the past few times I've used it I get the following error when I try to exit:

attachicon.gifas3_error.jpg

After this pops up I am forced to use Windows task manager to close out the program.  I may revert back to the stable version of AS!2 and see if it works any better.  Emil, if you have any suggestions I'll gladly try them out.

Try installing it in C:\bin rather than "program files". Then it can create files right there with no problems.  I moved AS!3 to there, for reasons I forget now, but I recall it fixed the problem I was having.

Another option is to 'run as administrator'.

• RedLionNJ and kbev like this

#87 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll delete the current install I have and reinstall in the location you suggest, and it probably won't hurt to have it set to run in admin mode. If those two don't fix it I'll post back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  • happylimpet likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics