•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Homage to Homemade Crayford Focusers

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Stub Mandrel

Stub Mandrel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

I was inspired to see all this great work, so I thought I'd share a couple of my own Crayford focusers:

3D printed in PLA with aluminium running strips:

DSCN1118

Aluminium focuser for custom scope built around Skywatcher ED 66 lens cell:

DSCN0256

66ED (2)

Edited by Stub Mandrel, 20 September 2018 - 05:17 PM.

• cmooney91 likes this

#52 miak

miak

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

That aluminum one is quite nice! Don't see a lot of dual-speeds ATM focusers, how hard was it to get the balls in and aligned, and to get enough pressure (assuming you used ball bearings for it)?

#53 Stub Mandrel

Stub Mandrel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

That aluminum one is quite nice! Don't see a lot of dual-speeds ATM focusers, how hard was it to get the balls in and aligned, and to get enough pressure (assuming you used ball bearings for it)?

Thanks!

The dual speed took a 3D-printed mock up and then a couple of cages and cups. The real problem was the secondary shaft, I tried turning a groove, that was too uneven. I ground a groove and that worked well, but kept loosing its tension - the balls were hammering the sharp corner of the groove.

In the end I found a conical stone and ground a round profile groove to match the balls and that worked much better (and keeps its setting). I used a very small roller thrust bearing to allow me to use plenty of tension.

#54 mikelab

mikelab

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

Here is a Crayford focuser that I 3D printed 3 years ago. First I designed it in SolidWorks and then printed it.

I also attached a pic of some of the other parts I printed and the finished

scope. The fork mount was laser cut out of Aluminum.

(and yes, the scale and numbers are also printed - raised up about .030")

The focuser is smooth as silk. it rides on a stainless steel shaft with internal Teflon tension adjusters.

IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0494.JPG

Edited by mikelab, 31 July 2019 - 04:49 PM.

• PrestonE, brave_ulysses, don clement and 1 other like this

#55 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

welcome, mikelab; great first post! looking forward to seeing your other projects

#56 brebisson

brebisson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Hello,

Just finished 2 small crayford focusser for some of my single pole scopes…
Used a 12mm thick cherry board and a cnc to machine the parts…
The bearings are 8mm outside diameter with 4mm inside diameter…
The drawtube is 34mm outside and had to use a lathe to grind the inside to the proper size ☹
I used a 5mm push screw with a spring loaded ball at the top. I brazed a bronze thumb nut on it to look nice and buried a nut in the “center part” of the focusser…
After gluing, I “shaped” the focusser (slightly visible in the last picture) as wedges (mostly to look nicer and to shed weight).
I used a 3mm knitting needle as a rod and used one of the little round cut by the CNC as the turn button.
Final product is 46g!

IMG_1616-copie.jpg

Cheers,
Cyrille

• Diego, Pierre Lemay, R Botero and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics