•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to remove William Optics dew shield?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 williamichang

williamichang

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

I'm considering getting a WO 66SD but will need to remove the dew shield to slim it down a few mm. Does anyone have insight into how this might be done without irreversible damage? Not sure if this model's construction is similar enough to other WO refractors.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, -- William

p.s. I PM'ed William Optics but haven't heard back yet

#2 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

:bigshock: I can't imagine doing that to such a nice scope, but then I also avoid taking mine out of its case unnecessarily :lol:

As far as I can tell...

1: Remove the 2 hex screws that hold the mounting bracket on and remove the mounting bracket.

2: Remove the focuser. It is threaded and unscrews from the tube.

3: There is a narrow black ring threaded on to the front of the dew shield. Unscrew it from the dewshield.

4: Slide the dewshield backward and off the tube.

5: Reattach the focuser and mounting bracket.

6: Find a new cap and dewshield :lol:

#3 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Before blindly doing this be sure to measure the actual length as the ZS80FD is a bit shorter than the length stated in the documentation with the dew shield extended. However it's within a mm or 2 when it's collapsed. I don't know if it's the same with the ZS66 or not.

I guess another alternative would be to look at the Astro-Tech AT66 scopes to see if they meet the dimensions you need.

#4 williamichang

williamichang

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:27 AM

Thank you Jim & Tom. Actually I was thinking if I had two, and each is only ~70mm diameter, I can make a simple bino with RACI diagonals. The 66SD spec gives 75mm diameter.

-- William

p.s. if anyone has one to sell, let me know :)

#5 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:06 AM

p.s. if anyone has one to sell, let me know :)

There's one in the classifieds here that seems like a good deal and comes with a few extras. I was thinking of getting it but have decided to pass for the time being.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics