•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New member celestron 8se problem no response 16 17

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ebrown1963

Ebrown1963

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

I was slewing my scope to the right when telescope just stopped moving. Cycled power got no response 17 error pressed undo got no response 16 and nextstar ÷ hand ontroller shows nextstar GPS. Should be SE. I reflashed HC version ok but MC version on controller has ??.???. I tried to update MC but computer fails says no telescope found. Checked all connections MC board, motors and hand controller inside and outside. Checked continuity with meter. All connections good. Did all kinds of resets still have errors. Found my stock celestron ac powers supply is putting out 16volts should be 12volts. Don't know if I fried motor control board or hand controller is bad. Checked capacitors on motor control board and they tested ok. Don't know how to proceed from here. MC board is $114, but could be hand controller. Way pass warranty period as I bought used in 2009. So sending for repaid would be to costly. I tried fresh batteries and still get errors. Out of options any help for cheap fix would be welcomed. Looking to buy EQ mount before spending too much money on this. Probably stay away from AVX mount because of similar problems. Any ideas welcomed

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Error code 16 and 17 mean the motor controllers are not responding. Since your handset isn't identifying the mount or MC version, you have lost connection between the handset and mount somewhere. I could be power related, or you could have damaged the handset cord somehow.

My best diagnostic would be to try another HC first. You could borrow one from someone, or just order one and return it if it is not the solution.

Don't avoid celestron just due to this. I have seen problems in every make of mount there is.

#3 pallikas

pallikas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC USA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Try swapping the cords first.  I tried my HC on a friends CG5 that was giving error 17, and had to buy a new controller.

#4 astrosky123

astrosky123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

i had a prob too with a meade yrs ago with the drive i sent it back for repairs took over 6 months to fix and cost 550, so if its not the hand controller and your left with either sending back to repair or eq mount , i would just eq it. A eq5/cg5 will only cost 250 to 300. With all the computer goto's fully automatic scope these are the headaches when the drives or comp go its kinda expensive and if its an older model parts may not be available or much harder to come by, which can make it very expensive.

j

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Just a suggestion:

I would guess Celestron Tech Support has heard of those error codes many times and may/should know the root cause.  So call them and ASK the tech support for a recommendation as to the most probable component failure causing those error codes.  

HighPoint does sell some Celestron parts soooo if you have no fear about repairing the mount yourself, its an alternative to sending the entire mount back for repair.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

The fact that the re flashing of the HC firmware went ok and the fact that you can run the Version command likely means the HC is OK and with the motor controllers not responding at all it is very likely that the MC board is bad.

If the old power supply is measuring 16v under load (and the important point is to measure under load) the regulation section has likely failed. That can indeed take out capacitors (without them showing any visual difference).

Regardless of the age of the scope with a failed Celestron branded power supply I might have a polite but firm chat with the tech support folks about the situation. A failed Celestron product has likely caused damage to your scope and Celestron may be willing to help you out ... but that may take a while.

The faster fix is very likely to simply replace the power supply and MC board.

Oh and welcome to CN.

Edited by mclewis1, 19 December 2016 - 04:44 PM.

• Michael Covington likes this

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

If you got 7 years out of a used, Chinese mount, that isn't bad. These things just don't last forever. Ten years is a reasonable expectation. Not sure how old it was when you got it. Probably not the answer you want to hear, and certainly worth looking into a cheap solution. But I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

As far as an Eq mount, you could get an AVX and it will probably last about 10 years. Or you could buy a Vixen Sphinx at 3x the price and it will probably last more like 20 years. If you find a mount as cheap as the AVX that lasts forever, please let us know. Basically what I am saying is I would not avoid Celestron because of this. This is just par for the course in this price range.

Scott

#8 Ebrown1963

Ebrown1963

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.I contacted celestron tech support several times and they tell me hand controller or motor control board. I replaced capacitors still no luck. Maybe I'll buy another hand controller. Its the less expensive of the 2. 

#9 JAB1948

JAB1948

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

I am having the same issue with my SLT 130.  It was working fine while powered up with 8 batteries or a wall power supply delivering 12 volts and 2000 ma.  Then one day I went to try it and error codes 16 and 17 surfaced. The HC software has been updated twice and still no luck. Now the best part. I called Celestron's tech support people three time and it seems like they were in a fog. I received no help whatsoever from them and I felt like I was being rushed of the phone. There was no lengthy discussion and no solution. They are as helpful as lips on a chicken.  So now I want to ask this forum if there are any ideas how to solve this problem and how can I distinguish if it is my hand controller or one of the boards? I opened the housing up and I see no test point for a meter check.  Is there any way to check the circuit boards to see if they are good.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. 

In the meantime Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Joe

#10 Roughneck

Roughneck

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Blackfalds Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

I had the same problem with my AVX mount. Almost exactly. The brain box is pooched. I emailed Celestron and they confirmed it and created a job number and I sent it back.

They said a twenty day turn around and I balked politely and a box mysteriously showed up via UPS. Surprise. Needless to say I was tickled pink and very pleased.

#11 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Soyuz

• ***--
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

I had a problem with my hand controller not brightening up. I would press 9 but it looked so dim. I contacted Celestron and they said to return the mount. While they fixed the problem and  are sending me the mount back (due next Wednesday) they never sent me an email saying they fixed it and were sending it back. I eventually emailed them and they sent the UPs number to me after they had already shipped it. They are lax in there consideration about telling you that they are sending you back the merchandise after they fixed it.

#12 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

You know? The sad thing is there is a Celestron guy (or Meade guy) who designed the system and could write a simple white paper describing the troubleshooting of their drives.

Check the voltage at pin 6 and it should be 7.62 volts or have a resistance of less than 2ohms.

Auto manufacturers do this and even have a section describing how it works.

Really, a crappy version would not take a guy a day to write.

Clear skies,
Peter

#13 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Vanguard

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

You know? The sad thing is there is a Celestron guy (or Meade guy) who designed the system and could write a simple white paper describing the troubleshooting of their drives.

Check the voltage at pin 6 and it should be 7.62 volts or have a resistance of less than 2ohms.

Auto manufacturers do this and even have a section describing how it works.

Really, a crappy version would not take a guy a day to write.

Clear skies,
Peter

I wouldn't bank on it. I used to professionally write guidance for financial services products and have long been appalled at the quality of equivalent telescope documentation. I might have been jailed if I had written such misleading drivel that confuses consumers and leads to so many questions in these threads.

Even finding basic astronomical instrument procedural information is a chore. Take a simple question "how do I update my firmware". Consider this post http://www.cloudynig...s/#entry7548180 .

There is almost zero guidance on the Celestron website. It then took over 40 posts in an original thread to extract the collective knowledge required from CN'ers.  I then abridged this useful information and documented this on-line and the post mentioned was then 'pinned' (lots of good feedback about its value as a resource).  Even so, the new thread has since had twenty further posts appended as people have discovered ever more related undocumented challenges  (e.g. like the HC port being changed, or how to do it by WiFi etc.).  I suppose this constant shifting of  the sand  helps sustain the wonderful resource that Cloudy Nights has become, but the manufacturers could do distinctly better when publishing technical documentation.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics