•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RisingTech - cheap IMX224, IMX290, ICX829 alternatives

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#301 Max2206

Max2206

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

Still no shure what to buy ...

My main goal is the moon and some bright DSO's

Or the RT224MC with DIY fan and peltier colling (regulated)

Or the RT290MC with DIY fan and peltier colling (regulated)

Or the RT178MC with built in Fan cooling.

i'm using a 6" F5 newton to do my imaging

I already own a DIY peltier cooled ASI120MM and a DIY Fan cooled AR030 (cmos board for 10 USD)

CAn some one help me selct.

Need to make the decission tomorrow (aliexpress has a 5 to 10 % reduction on the main price) 

info apriciated

#302 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

Hi Max. The cooling would have the least impact on the RT290 mono as it's already a very clean sensor. If you are going color the 224 sensor is the best of the bunch in terms of cost to performance so I would say get that. It's also the cheapest and you can save $ for the eventual inx294 RT clone

Al

#303 Max2206

Max2206

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hi Max. The cooling would have the least impact on the RT290 mono as it's already a very clean sensor. If you are going color the 224 sensor is the best of the bunch in terms of cost to performance so I would say get that. It's also the cheapest and you can save $ for the eventual inx294 RT clone

Al

OK thanks

I ordered the cheap RT224C one

I also already ordered a cooler and some more stuff (peltier etc)

I'm also looking to buy a cmos imx178 board camera with H265 ... could that been used if modified (price is around 80USD)

Also what about those new RT/RI cameras with panasonic cmos chips someone tried one already

• Adun likes this

#304 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

I'm also looking to buy a cmos imx178 board camera with H265 ... could that been used if modified (price is around 80USD)

No.  Those security cameras' limitation is in its DSP algorithm,

which is aiming for security applications.

#305 amayas

amayas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

No.  Those security cameras' limitation is in its DSP algorithm,

which is aiming for security applications.

Hi ...

What do you mean that the limitation is in its DSP algorithm?

is the sensitivity the same ?  what the algorithm can change as long as the time exposure is correct, the FPS is correct and the sensitivity of the sensor is  the same ?

Please, help.

C

#306 karimooo

karimooo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

hello Is there atmospheric dispersion corrector ADC in TR244 cooled version ?

#307 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Hi ...

What do you mean that the limitation is in its DSP algorithm?

is the sensitivity the same ?  what the algorithm can change as long as the time exposure is correct, the FPS is correct and the sensitivity of the sensor is  the same ?

Please, help.

C

Here the DSP algorithm, I am not just talking about what image processing algorithms, but the camera non-defeatable control algorithms applied onto the DSP, a.k.a. the 3As,

AGC, AEC, (and one more, usually ACC - color correction)

limit the image sensor potentials.  I.e., the camera cannot do full manual control.

Also, do not forget H.265, the perceptual codec did the damage to the image fidelity, when later when (live or non-Live) stacking is used to raise the S/N.

Don't believe me? Just spend your money buying one, you'll quickly grasp the set-backs.

The key is that the camera design engineers (when programming the control algorithms) do not consider EAA as its camera's valid use cases.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#308 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:06 PM

The RisingCam store has a more recent version of the IMX178 camera. The older version has cooling fan and is thicker, the newer version is not cooled (no fan) and in smaller "bullet" form factor, but featuring "Amp-glow reduction technology". They come in both mono and color.

┬┐Does anyone know which version is better? 

also, are the  IMX178 sensors worth it at all for EAA, given their small pixel size?
  • cmooney91 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics