•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen SG 6.5x32

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#26 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

thanks for the photos Tammy

these Vixens would seem an alternative for the rare, limited production, miyauchi 5x32s

I have the miyauchis and they are a very good pair for wide field viewing,

(less mag but wider FOV than the SGs)

but I do not use them much after getting the vixen 2.1x42s

edj

#27 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Potentially interesting

I like the 150m - or maybe 157m-FOV

can someone here buy and review?

Looks like an extension of the SG 2.1x42 line for wider field astronomy,

but I wonder for birding and sports events.

edj

I was going to ask for someone to do the same. :cool:

I'm looking for a small pair of wide field binos for constellation hopping to go with the 10x42IS. 

Per Jim's post #15 on paper the Nikon seem to be the better solution for a fraction of the cost.  Albeit these have a weight advantage. 

Barely a weight advantage though.  The 7x35mm Aculons weigh 1.5#.  These weigh 1.3#.  

I can see these making sense and being a SG 2.1x42 complement were the FOV perhaps 10-12 degrees (i.e., truly wide field for the magnification).  But at about the same FOV as garden variety 7x35 porro prism binoculars, they don't seem to hit the mark.  They aren't wider, they aren't brighter, the really aren't even meaningfully lighter.

And from Tammy's report, these seem to suffer off axis too, just like the Aculons (field curvature).  The main advantage over cheap 7x35s seems to be the generous eye relief.  But slightly better 7x35s can even that score, still at a fraction of the price.

I'd rather see Vixen bring out a pair of Japanese made 7x35 porro prism 11-degree flatter FOV binoculars in this niche.  We've seen vintage units achieve 10-11-degrees in the 7x35 format, so why not update the design with modern eyepieces using rare earth glasses, etc.?

Regards,

Jim

#28 Neil Sanford

Neil Sanford

Ranger 4

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:35 AM

With their SG 2.1x42, Vixen had a shocking winner.  Bringing that design to market showed a lot of original thinking and guts.  The same seems true of this SG 6.5x32.  But if I were they, I would thought instead along these two paths:

(1) There is proven demand for the Komz 6x24 11.4 degree.  Yeah, our highly experienced MarkS recently asked rhetorically if it's really worth its price.  And yeah, it is aperturely challenged.  But it's a proven want-to-have model.  I find myself grabbing mine more and more.  (And ahem, I have other great choices.)  So if I were Vixen, I would have looked into a model like this with great coatings, individual focus, and maybe a slight bump in mag/aperture (or not).

(2) Likewise the 7x35 extra-wide is a proven winner.  I would think an update of any of the several excellent 11 degree models would be a home run (admittedly in a small ball field).  If with individual focus, the boaters might also love it.  If with center focus, the birders.

I am quick to plop down cash in this genre, but on this 6.5 x 32 I'll pass. 

Edited by Neil Sanford, 26 December 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#29 SMark

SMark

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

It's a constant battle of balance between FOV and eye relief. The Vixen 6.5x32 is just under 60° AFOV which, for me, is the lowest possible definition of wide field. On the other hand, 20mm of eye relief is a lot. I would prefer to give a bit of that back if it could result in a significantly wider FOV. There are already a few 6.5x32 porros with a 65° AFOV, though I expect the quality is lacking compared to the Vixen.

There are a few 70° binoculars being made with long eye relief. But it's only a few, and most are expensive. It would be great to see a few new ones that are not so expensive. It could be a market demand hot spot for some company. 

#30 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

It could be a market demand hot spot for some company.

Televue

#31 SMark

SMark

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Televue

I would be more inclined to believe that Televue would be more likely to go the other direction... Not just wide, but Super Wide and well corrected. And then, of course, MORE expensive. Regardless, it would still get my attention. But I'm not so certain about the overall market demand for such a product. We'll see how successful Nikon will be at that...

#32 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

Televue

That is actually a quite brilliant suggestion.  With too much competition in refractors, why not dominate the niche for astronomy binoculars?  Televue has second to none eyepiece technology and design capability.  They have access to Japanese objective lens manufacturing (LensPro for the refractors).  With rebranded Chinese designed and made ED big binos now hitting the 900 Euro/900 Dollar range, that should give plenty of room for an American designed, Japanese lensed well-balanced (flat for wide FOV) binoculars.

But I fear Televue's bold days are behind it.  I don't see the next generation having the vision and frankly interest of the founding generation.

Regards,

Jim

#33 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

Televue

That is actually a quite brilliant suggestion.  With too much competition in refractors, why not dominate the niche for astronomy binoculars?  Televue has second to none eyepiece technology and design capability.  They have access to Japanese objective lens manufacturing (LensPro for the refractors).  With rebranded Chinese designed and made ED big binos now hitting the 900 Euro/900 Dollar range, that should give plenty of room for an American designed, Japanese lensed well-balanced (flat for wide FOV) binoculars.

But I fear Televue's bold days are behind it.  I don't see the next generation having the vision and frankly interest of the founding generation.

Regards,

Jim

:waytogo:  :waytogo:

but hope you are wrong about TV future

edj

#34 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

what is next?

SG 10x50

SG 16x70

some of my older mentors showed me this years ago:

-come to a star party with lawn chair and hand held binoculars-only

2.1x42s work, as should the 6.5 32s

then walk around to others bigger, heavier optics

edj

#35 old_enough

old_enough

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hello,

are there any new experiences with this binocular? I am still looking for a relatively light and wide angle binocular for (mainly) the night sky.

Tammy, did you compare the Vixen SG to the Zen-Ray 7x36? Or to the Nikon 8x30?

Thank you very much!
Sebastian

Here is similar size binoculars side by side. Ahh, I forgot to add Nikon 8x30 EII. It is very good binoculars, too.
[...]
ZenRay ED 7x36 and Vixen SG 6.5x32:
large.jpg

Tammy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics