•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Warranties on NS 8 GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:36 AM

I am looking to buy one of these or an Advanced series. So I downloaded a manual. at the end the warranty on the GPS is 1 year not 2, it says, whereas the warranty for most Celestron scopes is 2 (Advanced, Nexstar 5i, 8i).

FYI I guess. This might really push the decision for the Advanced series (though I still love the GPS model A LOT). I'd like to do it this week while suppliers have older models in stock before the price hiked new ones go on sale. The new software is useless to me (I own a Mac, use StarryNight Pro), if this is the only difference between the old and new ones. The Advanced series hand-control has many more options though as well (I think because it's an EQ mount?).

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:37 AM

It's probably an old manual on the website. Celestrom changed from a one year warranty to two years last year. The NXGPS series scopes currently enjoy the same two year warranty as the other telescopes.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

Thanks. It was the manual from Celestron's site. Anyone have a newer one on line?

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

I dunno whether there is a newer manual; the scopes haven't changed since the first release except for firmware changes. I'll look around a little, though.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:23 PM

This brings me to another question, too. Looking at the advanced series manual it has features such as re-align, last align, hibernate, and such in the hand control. The GPS did not have these, what looked like greatly updated abilities. Do the _new_ ones have these, which the old manual might not have shown?

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

I'm not familiar with the ASC feature set, but the NXGPS series does have a park feature. This permits turning off an aligned telescope, and having it still aligned when turning it back on. The CGE series has the "last align" feature, which is about the same. The NXGPS has the "replace alignment star" feature common to pretty much all Celestrons for fixing an alignment that's not perfect without beginning again.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:44 PM

Thanks jrcrilly. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics