•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C5 vs C6 ota weird pricing

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

I'm skeptical about using any head that would mount the C6 on top rather than on the side.   These photo heads are not designed for pointing the load straight up.  

Since you already have the 502AH, it wouldn't hurt to try it.   You'll realize if it's a bad setup if you need to lock down the altitude detention every time you point toward zenith.

My 501HDV fluid head has an advertised 13.2 lb LC.  It is OK for the C90 and borderline for the C5.  I would not even try it for the C6.  The MicroStar works great for the C5 and C6.

Mike

Does the microstar put the C6 in the correct orientation (as the finder and focus knob being in the proper spot)?

#27 samuelpkco

samuelpkco

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

I'm skeptical about using any head that would mount the C6 on top rather than on the side. These photo heads are not designed for pointing the load straight up.

Since you already have the 502AH, it wouldn't hurt to try it. You'll realize if it's a bad setup if you need to lock down the altitude detention every time you point toward zenith.

My 501HDV fluid head has an advertised 13.2 lb LC. It is OK for the C90 and borderline for the C5. I would not even try it for the C6. The MicroStar works great for the C5 and C6.

Mike

Agree.
The only reasonable priced photo head I would use is the 35lb payload Manfrotto 468.
https://www.bhphotov...c_Ballhead.html

#28 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

I'm skeptical about using any head that would mount the C6 on top rather than on the side.   These photo heads are not designed for pointing the load straight up.  

Since you already have the 502AH, it wouldn't hurt to try it.   You'll realize if it's a bad setup if you need to lock down the altitude detention every time you point toward zenith.

My 501HDV fluid head has an advertised 13.2 lb LC.  It is OK for the C90 and borderline for the C5.  I would not even try it for the C6.  The MicroStar works great for the C5 and C6.

Mike

I've used my C6 on top of a 501HDV and it worked fairly well. Yes, I had to tighten the altitude tension knob, but it was still acceptable as a grab and go setup.  Having said that, I prefer my Stellarvue M2 alt/az mount over the Bogen head.

Patrick

#29 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Mike

I've used my C6 on top of a 501HDV and it worked fairly well. Yes, I had to tighten the altitude tension knob, but it was still acceptable as a grab and go setup.  Having said that, I prefer my Stellarvue M2 alt/az mount over the Bogen head.

Patrick

Yes, I recall seeing your pics of this setup.  I think whether or not the user considers it "acceptable as a grab and go setup" would depend on what they consider "worked fairly well" means.   ;)   

I've had my C5 on a 501HDV and also 25x100 binos.  I definitely had to tighten down firmly on the altitude tension knob when going near zenith.   It did not instill confidence, and it was a bother having to keep adjusting the tension knob.  I tend to go all over the sky during an observing session, so it was a real bother to me.  I imagine mounting a C6 on the 501HDV would be even worse.

A head - like the DwarfStar, MicroStar or M2 - which hangs the scope on the side will be inherently more stable than one which mounts it on the top.  The MicroStar is just about right for the C6.  The DwarfStar is a little too small.  It's better for a C90.  The M2 is beefy enough for my SW120ED or EdgeHD 8".

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 29 December 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#30 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

Ok I'm pulling the trigger on a microstar for my C6. Thank you all for your input!
  • Sarkikos likes this

#31 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

I was able to get my wife to go with it since I will be using my C6. ..I felt that getting another scope so close in aperture to the C6 would result in a free vasectomy from the wife...
  • Sarkikos likes this

#32 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Soyuz

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

I got the C6 for airline carry-on . . .I figure it's as much aperture as can be squeezed into overhead (unless you get a really expensive refractor that can be torn apart).

Having said that, I'm now at Perth International and about to attempt to get on a plane with it. The leg to Australia said "7kg" limit, but I had a ditsy check-in gal and got away with it. I hope my luck holds :-) 

• Adun likes this

#33 Adun

Adun

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

I got the C6 for airline carry-on . . .I figure it's as much aperture as can be squeezed into overhead (unless you get a really expensive refractor that can be torn apart).

Having said that, I'm now at Perth International and about to attempt to get on a plane with it. The leg to Australia said "7kg" limit, but I had a ditsy check-in gal and got away with it. I hope my luck holds :-)

Did it?

#34 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Soyuz

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Sure did!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics