After seeing the possibilities of doing remote imaging using an Intel Compute Stick located at the scope I got the bug to do an update to my EAA setup. This was prompted by the approach of Winter and also the desire to avoid mosquitoes in the Summer. As such I decided to acquire a compute stick and put a remote controlled EAA/Imaging system together. I shopped around during Black Friday week and scored a compute stick from Amazon for a decent price while continuing to do additional research on the subject. The Intel Compute Stick - Interm Review thread was a wealth of help in solving USB 3.0/WiFi issues as well as just seeing what others were doing.
I also verified I could control my NexStar Evolution mount remotely via WiFi while set up in Access Point mode instead of direct connect. This proved to be a bit of a challenge but relocating the network access point for better signal coverage at the scope seemed to have solved that issue. For connecting to the compute stick I use RDP and RDPWrap, which is needed for Windows 10 Home, and is readily available with a quick internet search. This permits me to use either my laptop while sitting on the sofa and in sight of the scope or be downstairs using my desktop and its 27" monitor.
Once I had most of the details clear I began to lay out the mounting options. I was originally going to power the compute stick using one of the cell phone powerbanks - which worked nicely. However after I began to acquire devices that also needed 12V I opted to power everything using a single TalentCell Li-Ion battery pack. After getting all the key bits assembled I began to test fit things and then designed & 3D printed a couple of mounting brackets to hold the battery along with one to hold the compute stick, USB hub and the 12v-5V converter. The brackets, along with the StarSense, are mounted to a Losmandy D plate on the top (side) of the scope.
The biggest issue is that since getting the ASI1600MC-C there is a need for additional clearance and so there's less room for balancing as I'll soon be adding nStep focus capability. At the moment the scope can only get to about 80 degrees vertical but by adding some 90 degree connectors I can probably get vertical without too much effort.
Here's a view of the brackets and how things are mounted so far. The bracket dimensions were made snug enough that the USB hub and the compute stick are friction fit while the 12V to 5V converter has a bit of double sided tape holding it in place.
These are the prototype brackets and the final versions differ very little from these. If anybody is interested I'll be happy to make the STL files available.
I'm currently waiting on delivery of a Rigel Systems nStep system to permit remote focusing, but other than that the installation is pretty much complete and I managed to get first light on the setup the other night. I'm still tweaking things here and there but feel as though I successfully met my design goals of no AC power while running.