•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Enhanced Vision Telescope Shown At CES

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

A prototype telescope was demonstrated at CES that changes everything.  Developed by a company in France the telescope can operate as a standard telescope for visual, but flick a switch and it changes to an enhanced view that magnifies and sharpens details as well as brings out color in DSO's.  I want one!  You can read the article here and see an enhance image.

• Tyson M likes this

#2 Feidb

Feidb

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

If the weather holds, I'll be using my scope for a comparison with it tonight in Las Vegas.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

A prototype telescope was demonstrated at CES that changes everything.  Developed by a company in France the telescope can operate as a standard telescope for visual, but flick a switch and it changes to an enhanced view that magnifies and sharpens details as well as brings out color in DSO's.  I want one!  You can read the article here and see an enhance image.

The link takes back to this page?

Mike

• Augustus likes this

#4 beammeup

beammeup

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

http://www.space.com...pe-ces2017.html

#5 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Depending on cost, It might be cheaper to just use a Revolution Imager and  a Flip-Mirror (unless I'm missing something)?

Mike

• jgroub and Tyson M like this

#6 REC

REC

Cosmos

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Just read the press release. Sounds very exciting! It could really revolutionize amateur astronomy!

• Jon_Doh likes this

#7 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Very interesting from press release, interesting backgrounds on the three founders. 

#8 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

The link takes back to this page?

Mike

Beammeup listed the link, but here's another one:  http://cerebral-over...plified-vision/

#9 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

If the weather holds, I'll be using my scope for a comparison with it tonight in Las Vegas.

Please give us a report if you get to use it.  I'd like to know more about this.  This seems like the answer to my light polluted skies.

• Feidb likes this

#10 dgoldb

dgoldb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

Unclear to me if this is actually real-time information, or if it is just able to recognize what object you are looking at, and then project an image of it from a database.  I guess time will tell.  I am skeptical that real-time integration would look anything close to as good as they portray. 

• Augustus likes this

#11 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

Just read the press release. Sounds very exciting! It could really revolutionize amateur astronomy!

Yes, this will absolutely revolutionize amateur astronomy. Give this technology another 10-15 years, and we may very well see 3 or 4 orders of magnitude increase in perceived light gathering power without much sacrifice to real-time observability.

Now we just need consumer-grade adaptive optics for planetary observation, and we'll be all set!

• jgroub likes this

#12 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor - Landers Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Found a picture of it.

https://d.ibtimes.co...scope.jpg?w=400

It's a repainted NexStar 127SLT that happens to be bundled with an EAA camera of some kind that has the screen built in. This does not replace an actual glass eyepiece...

I feel that EAA is the textbook definition of giving up and surrendering to light pollution. If we all use these devices, supposedly LP doesn't matter anymore. This is exactly what the electric companies/crazy neighbors want!

And if you're viewing a fuzzy picture of a DSO on a screen, why not just cut out the scope and Google some Hubble pictures instead? Unlike EAA, that doesn't cost anything, and it's an identical experience!

We spend enough time in front of a screen viewing things that we are not directly witnessing (i.e. collecting photons from the actual event) - why should astronomy be that way too?

Edited by Augustus, 06 January 2017 - 12:10 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, ach, mwedel and 6 others like this

#13 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

These guys posted earlier right here in the Vendors and Announcements Forum last month., 

Didn't strike me as anything special, nor unique - and as a visual-only observer, does nothing for me.., 

skybsd

• Augustus likes this

#14 Kent10

Kent10

Soyuz

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks skybsd.  Good information there.  As suspected you need a tracking mount for the camera to build up the image.

• Feidb likes this

#15 Kent10

Kent10

Soyuz

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Here is their website http://unistellaroptics.com/en/

#16 Montanaman

Montanaman

Vostok 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Yes, it appears to be a standard telescope with an added CCD camera that stacks frames in real time resulting in a brighter and brighter more resolved image at the eyepiece.   The same thing can be done with any standard telescope and CCD camera + appropriate software that will stack frames.   Actually the latter is better as one is viewing the image on a computer screen rather than through an eyepiece.    

• Jon_Doh and Augustus like this

#17 NEOhio

NEOhio

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Love the idea. It may be just a marketed scope/EAA combo setup, but that probably will be the next thing in EAA. Think about how well the R2 is selling, mainly because it is a combo package that gives you everything to get started (I hope -- mine still has not seen first light and may not until spring the way our winter is going :-(

But the R2 still has problems in that the user must match it with the scope, pick the settings that work for their scope, and so forth. Plus, my understanding is that not all scopes will play well with the R2 or vice versa. Next logical step is to sell the whole combo, scope, camera and electronics as a package, so it is truly plug-n-play and the camera is optimized for the scope. I also love the idea of being able to switch between visual/EAA.  

BTW, is the article scope using video, or some sort of image intensifier? The first sentence states: "A new backyard telescope accumulates and intensifies light, bringing the shapes and colors of cosmic objects into clearer view for amateur astronomers."

• paulymo likes this

#18 javaman717

javaman717

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Western Middle TN

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks skybsd.  Good information there.  As suspected you need a tracking mount for the camera to build up the image.

So how exactly is that different from imaging, except that the image is "live?" I'm not trying to be snarky - genuinely interested.

I live under moderately light polluted skies but can get to a decently dark area (blue zone) within a few minutes. Something like this is interesting, but being a total geek I enjoy the process (what little I've experienced of it) and theory behind AP - so to me a scope like that is interesting, probably fun to use, but would "cheapen" the hobby quite a bit it seems, for me anyway. Totally personal opinion...

• jgroub likes this

#19 REC

REC

Cosmos

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Love the idea. It may be just a marketed scope/EAA combo setup, but that probably will be the next thing in EAA. Think about how well the R2 is selling, mainly because it is a combo package that gives you everything to get started (I hope -- mine still has not seen first light and may not until spring the way our winter is going :-(

But the R2 still has problems in that the user must match it with the scope, pick the settings that work for their scope, and so forth. Plus, my understanding is that not all scopes will play well with the R2 or vice versa. Next logical step is to sell the whole combo, scope, camera and electronics as a package, so it is truly plug-n-play and the camera is optimized for the scope. I also love the idea of being able to switch between visual/EAA.  

BTW, is the article scope using video, or some sort of image intensifier? The first sentence states: "A new backyard telescope accumulates and intensifies light, bringing the shapes and colors of cosmic objects into clearer view for amateur astronomers."

Revolution Imager is selling a package with the Celestron Evolution scope, so you have a Evolution Revolution!

• jgroub likes this

#20 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Found a picture of it.

https://d.ibtimes.co...scope.jpg?w=400

It's a repainted NexStar 127SLT that happens to be bundled with an EAA camera of some kind that has the screen built in. This does not replace an actual glass eyepiece...

I feel that EAA is the textbook definition of giving up and surrendering to light pollution. If we all use these devices, supposedly LP doesn't matter anymore. This is exactly what the electric companies/crazy neighbors want!

And if you're viewing a fuzzy picture of a DSO on a screen, why not just cut out the scope and Google some Hubble pictures instead? Unlike EAA, that doesn't cost anything, and it's an identical experience!

We spend enough time in front of a screen viewing things that we are not directly witnessing (i.e. collecting photons from the actual event) - why should astronomy be that way too?

I was thinking the same thing.

• jgroub and Augustus like this

#21 The Ardent

The Ardent

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

This article was posted a year ago

http://www.cloudynig...e-perspectives/

#22 dgoldb

dgoldb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yes, it appears to be a standard telescope with an added CCD camera that stacks frames in real time resulting in a brighter and brighter more resolved image at the eyepiece.   The same thing can be done with any standard telescope and CCD camera + appropriate software that will stack frames.   Actually the latter is better as one is viewing the image on a computer screen rather than through an eyepiece.    

Is that really so?  I suppose its nice not to jam your eye into an eyepiece, but LCD screens are fairly abysmal at representing reality, especially dark shades of black, which they are notably bad at.  Unless you have an 8K OLED screen with a very high refresh rate, I just don't see how you are going to even come close to approximating the view through an eyepiece with a screen.  

• jgroub and Augustus like this

#23 Augustus

Augustus

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

This article was posted a year ago

http://www.cloudynig...e-perspectives/

"Even at 1x, the Lagoon nebula is quite large and striking"

Yeah, it's like that at a yellow site on a dark sky map too, which would be easily achievable in many suburbs if we fought to reduce light pollution! And that costs nothing!

EAA reinforces the mindset that we have to spend thousands to get around a simple problem that requires nothing more than speaking up to solve. It's the easy way out....

Edited by Augustus, 06 January 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#24 Augustus

Augustus

• Vendors

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Unless you have an 8K OLED screen with a very high refresh rate

And those cost more than the CCD one would use them with, let alone more than a large Dobsonian!

Edited by Augustus, 06 January 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#25 dgoldb

dgoldb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Unless you have an 8K OLED screen with a very high refresh rate

And those cost more than the CCD one would use them with, let alone more than a large Dobsonian!

For now they do.  We'll see what the future holds.  There may be a day when electronic means of observing are more enjoyable and better representations of reality than an eyepiece at comparable costs, but today (in my experience) is not that day.  I have yet to see a screen in the field that comes remotely close to showing the detail and color gradations that an eyepiece does.  The technology just isn't there yet.  Even OLED has significant limitations.  

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics