•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bushnell Legacy vs Nikon Action Extreme

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Seeing as they are both made in China, are the Bushnell's a better deal than the Nikons?

The Nikon Action EX 8x40, 10x50 and Bushell Legacy 8x42, 10x50 have very similar specs...are we just paying extra for the Nikon name?

#2 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hard to say...both are awesome.

I'd give a slight edge to the Action EX, mainly on  field edges, but the Legacies are really good too,

and their contrast is deep.  I restore a lot from 10-20 yrs back (and the same...Bushnell Audubon)

for rubber bloom and sticky shoulders, and the view is beautiful.  The finish auction quite low

when the trivial bloom is on.

They are a bit different....Action EX maybe a tad better at night, Legacies by day (still good at night).

#3 SMark

SMark

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

Yes, the Action Extreme is a bit better at night, so I would also give it an edge above.

#4 skoro

skoro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Having owned both, I'd give an edge to the Nikons. But either is a good choice. You can't go wrong here.

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

I have both,in the 10x50 and 8x40 sizes, the Action Extremes are a tad better however they cost me more, the Legacy can often be found with a good discount,TD

#6 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

The Legacy 10x50 is $85 now on Amazon, the Action Extreme is $150. Did you mean the Aculon that is $100?

Regardless, I really like the Legacy for $85 vs. the other options although the Action Extreme is certainly a little better.

#7 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

The Legacies are a tough deal to turn down,

since they trounce the Aculons.  That's their niche,

intercepting sales in the Aculon--Extreme gap at less than the Aculon.

There is a NatureView at $100, but the field seems almost identical to the Legacy.

Edited by MartinPond, 07 January 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#8 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Did you mean the Aculon that is $100?

No, I meant the Action Extreme.  The Legacy looks to be a step above the Aculon feature wise.

Thank you everyone for the information.

#9 Eric.TB

Eric.TB

Mariner 2

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

FWIW I have a set of 12X50 Action Ex's and they have provided me with many years of wonderful viewing. I would buy another pair of Action Ex's in a heartbeat. The only bino in this price range that could possibly sway me would be the Pentax PCF series.

#10 samuelpkco

samuelpkco

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

This is an old thread to response but since I recently bought both the Bushnell Legacy 10x50 and the Nikon Action Ex 10x50 I might add something here.

They both have a 6.5deg and near identical specs. I bought them with the same supplier and cost around the same here. AUD249 for the Legacy and AUD279 for the Action EX.

I was needing two pairs so I took one each, given that they are reasonably good products.

I was aware that the Bushnell was way cheaper than the Nikon in US but was priced up here. The supplier praised the Bushnell to be better than the Nikon (Action EX).

In terms of potential sample variations of these Chinese-made binocular, I have compared over the counter 2 to 3 pairs of each model and find them quite consistent.

My personal judgement, however, suggests the Nikon has a slight edge over the Bushnell in terms of optical performance and ergonomics.

The Nikon Action EX is better in:

- Field curvature correction to 70% from centre; (Legacy 50%)

- Astigmatism better corrected overall

- micro contrast (eg lunar maria) is excellent

- natural colour balance (less bluish than the Legacy)

- better glare control (put the moon just outside the FOV to test)

- Shape allowing hand held with elbows closer apart

- Rubber cover feels more of a quality

- Focusing/dioptre adjustment in practise is a lot more confident than the Bushnell.

The Bushnell Legacy is better in:

- weight less

- smaller size

- brighter image (as in macro-contrast but suffer in micro-contrast)

- proper front lens cap (Nikon is a slim cap which I don't like)

- FULLY multi-coat on paper (Nikon spec is Multi-coat)

For my preference, the Nikon's advantages are more important. But I don't regret getting the Bushnell due to the light throughput seems to benefit DSO searching.... well at least it feels that way. Its a good second pair and I am happy to go with what my longer term supplier suggested.

Having said that, the differences between them are subtle. I gave both to laymen to try and often people like the Bushnell more.

Samuel

Edited by samuelpkco, 15 July 2017 - 04:26 AM.

#11 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

This is an old thread to response but since I recently bought both the Bushnell Legacy 10x50 and the Nikon Action Ex 10x50 I might add something here.

Samuel

No worries.  Thank you for the comparison.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics