•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can't find HCupdate

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 George9914

George9914

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denholm, Scotland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have a 4.1x hand controller on my C8-SGT.

I would like to upgrade the firmware to the latest possible.

I saw that I should use Celestron's HCupdate but I cannot find it on their downlodas page.

Can I use CFM ? I tried it but it wont connect.

Thanks

George

#2 syscore

syscore

Aurora

• Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

CFM should work for 4.0 and above.

Here is a link to HCUpdate ....

http://www.celestron...e-updates-v1112

• George9914 likes this

#3 44ye

44ye

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: MACKINAW TOWNSHIP CHEBOYGAN CO MI

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

You can try this video     https://www.youtube....h?v=5MhgFrr1uQg

It has a link at the start

NexStarSite.com

Clear skies

Don

• George9914 likes this

#4 George9914

George9914

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

Many thanks, now updated to 4.21

Not sure if I can do the same to my

Advanced GT mount or

My Starsense hand controller ??

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Many thanks, now updated to 4.21

Not sure if I can do the same to my

Advanced GT mount or

My Starsense hand controller ??

See this thread for guidance in Windows 10.

http://www.cloudynig...s/#entry7548180

• George9914 likes this

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

CFM does not work with the NexStar hand controller, so no it will not handle v4 firmware upgrades. 

I think that should be "... should work for 5.28 and above".

• George9914 likes this

#7 George9914

George9914

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

CFM does not work with the NexStar hand controller, so no it will not handle v4 firmware upgrades. 

Thanks Mark,

I have now successfully updated my Starsense Hand controller and the Starsense Camera.

Alt & Az show 5.7 so I think that that is up to date also.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

George

#8 syscore

syscore

Aurora

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Sorry. You are correct. I should have said "upgradable period". But CFM only works with the newer Nextsar+ hand controllers.

#9 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Sorry. You are correct. I should have said "upgradable period". But CFM only works with the newer Nextsar+ hand controllers.

To clarify, CFM works with both new (USB) and older (RS232) Nexstar + HC's  also with Starsense HCs. It might not work with older (non +) HC's. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 08 January 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd use the term "older" for the NexStar + hand controllers with the serial/RJ connector (even though they are indeed older)  ... we're now into latest, new, older, old, ancient, etc. hand controllers :lol:  ... it's going to get confusing with the different terminology.

syscore - do you know if the Starsense hand controller is the same hardware as the NexStar+  ... "the same" aside from the label and the firmware of course?

• Noah4x4 likes this

#11 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd use the term "older" for the NexStar + hand controllers with the serial/RJ connector (even though they are indeed older)  ... we're now into latest, new, older, old, ancient, etc. hand controllers :lol:  ... it's going to get confusing with the different terminology.

syscore - do you know if the Starsense hand controller is the same hardware as the NexStar+  ... "the same" aside from the label and the firmware of course?

There are a few trivial things that differ between my StarSense HC and Nexstar + HC, both purchased in 2016; and both RS232 (hence older); but I think these confuse rather than cause any real issues.

The newer USB port versions may differ as regards some functionality, but I know that ALL remain Serial inside despite having the USB port. For example, you still need a Windows 10 Serial Adapter DRIVER to update their firmware via that OS.  But there are other differences....

For example, if you have added 10 (optional) 'additional alignment points' via Starsense you should not need 'SYNC' or 'Precise GoTo' which don't feature in its HC. The additional alignment points work like SYNC, but StarSense remembers ten (not one/last). If spread across ten constellations  (better still across 12 months), you hence don't need these functions.

You also can't adjust the Evolution's tray and logo lights via the Serial/RS232 Starsense HC. But you can via SkySafari/WiFi (which most Evolution owners probably use). But it's no hardship to set them once only using the older (Nexstar +) HC. It is probably worth mentioning that the Starsense Serial/RS  version HC did have a firmware upgrade in February 2016. Mine has performed better since that and the Evolution mount firmware update of August 2016. The Starsense camera firmware has not been updated in the last two years (if ever).

I believe that the newer USB HC + versions are a marginally different shape (don't fit old HC cradles) and have sculptured raised buttons (some reports of sticking due to poor QC). Frankly, I think we need to create a new descriptive convention. Such as Nexstar HC version xx; Nexstar + HC/RS; Nexstar + HC/USB etc. Else this will get ever more confusing. Referring to "old" and "new" no longer works.

Edited by Noah4x4, 09 January 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#12 syscore

syscore

Aurora

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

The Starsense HC has different and much faster CPU. Memory as well I suspect.

There are no differences between a Serial or USB NexStar+, as far as firmware and functionality. I don't think you need to distinguish between them unless the context requires it. 

Edited by syscore, 09 January 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#13 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gig Harbor, Washington

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

I could use some help updating my advanced GT CGEM, nothing I do seems to work right. These pic's are what I have, I've tried the update manager with no luck. I'm using a serial to usb cable that worked fine years ago. Can anyone put up a link as to what I need to do to get the latest updates??? It is not a newer model with +. Many thanks to the person that can help me out!! If you need more info just ask but beware I'm computer illiterate..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF7427.JPG
  • DSCF7428.JPG

#14 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Don,

In the utilities (HCupdate and MCupdate.exe) you have the ability to download the appropriate firmware files. Having the latest version of the utility doesn't guarantee that you also have the latest firmware available ... you have to download it (it's a simple step when you run the utility). 

Your hand controller is close to the latest, but going to gem4.21 would be helpful for a few changes.

Your motor controller firmware could also use an update to 6.17.

There can be situations where a particular USB-serial adapter works with one type of software and not with the Celestron utilities. If the adapter you have runs properly (device driver installs, USB device runs, able to configure a com port, etc.) and you have a known good Celestron hand controller serial cable (the #93920 cable) and HCupdate won't connect to the hand controller (after pressing the UNDO and INFO buttons together when powering up the mount) then I'd try a different brand USB-RS232 serial adapter.

http://nexstarsite.c...wToVersion4.htm

#15 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Don,

In the utilities (HCupdate and MCupdate.exe) you have the ability to download the appropriate firmware files. Having the latest version of the utility doesn't guarantee that you also have the latest firmware available ... you have to download it (it's a simple step when you run the utility). 

Your hand controller is close to the latest, but going to gem4.21 would be helpful for a few changes.

Your motor controller firmware could also use an update to 6.17.

There can be situations where a particular USB-serial adapter works with one type of software and not with the Celestron utilities. If the adapter you have runs properly (device driver installs, USB device runs, able to configure a com port, etc.) and you have a known good Celestron hand controller serial cable (the #93920 cable) and HCupdate won't connect to the hand controller (after pressing the UNDO and INFO buttons together when powering up the mount) then I'd try a different brand USB-RS232 serial adapter.

http://nexstarsite.c...wToVersion4.htm

Thanks Mark. I've been to that site about 30 times, downloaded the files about 10 times but when I try to run it it's always searching for the Nexstar+ hand control. I've checked the EQ mount box and did the search for connections but always come up with the + hand controller connection instructions. The last few times I tried to download the HCupdate & MCupdate my computer won't even let me run it, antivirus stops it and removes it. Maybe it is the cable but I'm pretty sure It worked some years back, as in I think I have done an update with it a long time ago. I guess my next option would be that new cable, so frustrating! lol  Would you by chance know of a cable that does work? This is the cable I have, would I need to replace the  RS 232 to USB, or the 232 to controller cable? I think the grey cable is a Celestron cable, not sure..

Thank you Mark..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF7429.JPG

Edited by DonDon, 13 August 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Don,

You have to have HCupdate.exe and MCupdate.exe for your v4 NexStar hand controller. You cannot use the CFM utility ... it's only for v5 NexStar+ hand controllers. Tell your virus software to allow the download of HCupdate and MCupdate off of the Celestron.com website.

https://s3.amazonaws...dateinstall.zip

The "gold standard" so to speak for USB - serial adapters is the Keyspan unit. It's also usually the most expensive model available (figures doesn't it?).

I have an older IOGear adapter that has an older Prolific chipset that works on anything I've tried it on. Unfortunately there are also examples of products with Prolific chipsets that don't work. Celestron actually embedded the USB-serial adapter hardware based on the Prolific chipset into the latest model NexStar+ hand controller (just to point out that some the Prolific chipsets and drivers do work very well).

Your grey RS232 cables looks good but that doesn't mean anything. For example he Meade serial cable looks virtually identical and it does not work. I would physically verify your RS232 cable with a multi meter and the pin out mentioned on the nexstarsite.com (http://nexstarsite.c.../RS232Cable.htm).

• DonDon likes this

#17 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Don,

You have to have HCupdate.exe and MCupdate.exe for your v4 NexStar hand controller. You cannot use the CFM utility ... it's only for v5 NexStar+ hand controllers. Tell your virus software to allow the download of HCupdate and MCupdate off of the Celestron.com website.

The "gold standard" so to speak for USB - serial adapters is the Keyspan unit. It's also usually the most expensive model available (figures doesn't it?).

I have an older IOGear adapter that has an older Prolific chipset that works on anything I've tried it on. Unfortunately there are also examples of products with Prolific chipsets that don't work. Celestron actually embedded the USB-serial adapter hardware based on the Prolific chipset into the latest model NexStar+ hand controller (just to point out that some the Prolific chipsets and drivers do work very well).

Your grey RS232 cables looks good but that doesn't mean anything. For example he Meade serial cable looks virtually identical and it does not work. I would physically verify your RS232 cable with a multi meter and the pin out mentioned on the nexstarsite.com (http://nexstarsite.c.../RS232Cable.htm).

I finally got my antivirus to play nice with these files, thank you for the links Mark! I also just bought the keyspan for a semi decent price also. When I click on the files they seem to open OK, I won't actually use them until I get the new adaptor. Hopefully this all works out in the end. I've been busting my hump with the CFM manager, go figure it doesn't work.. I appreciate all your help, and especially the links! It's always easier when people use links instead of trying to explain. Again, Thank you!!  

I will report back when I succeed!  

#18 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Just wanted to post that I got my mount updated to the 4.21 HC and 6.50 MC:) I tried to update to the 6.51 but was unsuccessful. I may try it later, but for now I'm good! Thanks Mark.. 

• mclewis1 likes this

#19 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

DSCF7433.JPG Well I finally got it! Took a while but persistence paid off.. Thanks for everybody's help!

#20 carver2011

carver2011

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hello all

Where is the CFM update file located on Celestron’s website? I go into the software section and all I can find iis “Hand Control Firmware Updates v 1.1.12.   I would like to update my Evo8 firmware. The update list that was posted here on cloudynights says my HC version is from 2014. Celestron’s website leaves a lot to be desired. Like our firmware, their site could use an update.

#21 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hello all

Where is the CFM update file located on Celestron’s website? I go into the software section and all I can find iis “Hand Control Firmware Updates v 1.1.12.   I would like to update my Evo8 firmware. The update list that was posted here on cloudynights says my HC version is from 2014. Celestron’s website leaves a lot to be desired. Like our firmware, their site could use an update.

Try this,  http://software.cele...pdates/CFM/CFM/

#22 carver2011

carver2011

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Thank you DonDon, that works. Will update as soon as the cables I ordered arrive next week.

Regards

Ed

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics