•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EZ PUSH TO

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 dobsonianhopewell

dobsonianhopewell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

Anyone know if this is any good?  I am very new to the hobby and interested in a way to help locate objects in the sky.  I understand the Nexus DSC is fantastic but, not sure I want to purchase one at this point.

http://romer-optics-...ds-of-dobsonian

There are several YouTube videos on the device as well.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7PAQw1XXEqo

https://www.youtube....h?v=SWtsKenCNro

Thanks for reading.

• Miranda2525 and Ohmless like this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

Anyone know if this is any good?  I am very new to the hobby and interested in a way to help locate objects in the sky.  I understand the Nexus DSC is fantastic but, not sure I want to purchase one at this point.

http://romer-optics-...ds-of-dobsonian

There are several YouTube videos on the device as well.

Thanks for reading.

First let me say Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.. 

It looks interesting, I know nothing about about, this is the first mention of it.. It could be a real game changer, particular if drivers are available for Sky Safari and other apps.

Thanks

Jon

• Photo-Dave likes this

#3 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

Let me also say Welcome! I do not own this system, so I am giving you feedback on what I read.

When I read the description, I was interested in hearing about the "object catalog". It's embedded in the last paragraph and in the specifications text towards the end. It reads:

"The map is concise, but completed with Messier/NGC /Herschel catalogue, double and binary stars, comets and small bodies, and magnitude 9.5 stars (110,000 stars)"

My question is, can this be upgraded or added-to with downloading? Perhaps I missed something in the description- others can let me know. I'm hesitant because while this sounds like a lot, it is a very basic catalog. As a beginner's skills grow and as you seek to view beyond the Messiers (and even NGCs), this is somewhat limited.

The rest of it appears intriguing. When I read the description, it is in somewhat broken English and that's fine - I do wonder how communication with tech support would go if you encounter problems based only on what I read, and again, I didn't read much past the text description so I might have missed something.

After watching the linked videos, I'd add that you'd want some sort of night mode for the light from the phone, maybe there was an option for this? Or you can purchase some red film to cover the display light. At a dark site, that will inhibit your night vision.

Kevin

Edited by Knasal, 08 January 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#4 Prasad

Prasad

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

I would suggest you look at the possibility of making your scope into a GOTO scope. Try clicking the link: http://www.stellarjo...quipment_onstep. You can use any planetarium software such as Stellarium or Cartes-du-Ciel or even a commercial software to point your telescope to wherever you wish. It works for either EQ or Alt-Az mount arrangements. So Dobsonians are included.  In addition you can use your Android device as the control pad using the free app created by the author. 

There is also a Yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo...ptelescope/info

Howard Dutton made this using open source Arduino family circuit board(s). It is free and you do not  pay him. You will only buy parts to suit your plans and put it together to fit your Dob/telescope mount. Howard is a very helpful guy and answers all queries from builders. I see a lot of enthusiasm from members using it. Most have succeeded and many are engaged in building. 

I am just getting started on adding the motors to my Dob.

Prasad

Eastern PA. 

Edited by Prasad, 08 January 2017 - 10:40 AM.

• MNLegoBoy likes this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

Looks like a cheap enough addition (If it works!).

Mike

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

I have one and like it very much. Works great. I meant that I have the Nexus unit.

Edited by bbbriggs, 09 January 2017 - 01:25 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, BinoGuy and aeajr like this

#7 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

This does look interesting. There are some advantages of 'push to' vs 'go to'--fewer parts to go haywire. However, auto tracking would be a very helpful addition to any sky finder system. Technology keeps providing new products for our hobby. Some of you who buy this product, please post your findings. 

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

I have one and like it very much. Works great.

:waytogo:

Can you interface with other software or are you limited to the Romer app?  

How accurate is it?

Jon

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

I have an Orion XT8 intelliscope which would be someting like the EZ Push To.   I ike the Intelliscope very much.

The EZ Push To looks very interesting.  If you can add this to any Dob I think this could be a terrific product. 

BBBriggs,

You say you have the EZ Push To system?  How long have you had it?  What scope is it mounted on?

Tell us about installation?   Was it difficult?

How accurate do you find it to be?

This definitely has my attention.

#10 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

The accuracy specified is 0.2o with best case alignment. That might be attained with setting circles (analog, made of paper or like material) you can print from templates available in the internet that you can attach to your scope base. Almost free.

Then you can keep stacking quarters for a Nexus DSC. Yep, it's pretty much the nuts.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#11 dobsonianhopewell

dobsonianhopewell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. 

#12 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:16 AM

The accuracy specified is 0.2o with best case alignment. That might be attained with setting circles (analog, made of paper or like material) you can print from templates available in the internet that you can attach to your scope base. Almost free.

Then you can keep stacking quarters for a Nexus DSC. Yep, it's pretty much the nuts.

Interesting but not really relevant to this discussion.  The question was about this product, not about alternatives.

I would LOVE to see a start to finish report of someone installing it on their Dob and reporting the results.  The installation manual is very cryptic.  I don't understand it.

I did find the the same videos and one more. 

https://www.youtube....PAQw1XXEqo&t=8s

https://www.youtube....h?v=VnmiFHBzBRQ

They also have a Facebook Page

https://www.facebook...04227106468587/

They offer a GSO 8" with the EZ system but it is not clear if you get it installed or if you have to install it.

http://romer-optics-...th-easy-push-to

Edited by aeajr, 09 January 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• sonnyrsg likes this

#13 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I think it is a clever idea and would very much like to see someone review it.

While you can indeed get where you are going with Alt-az circles, you still need something to tell you where to go (What do I want to look at next?).   If you don't have a target in mind to see or don't have a way to get location, then the Alt-az circles are useless. 

That means that everyone that is using Alt-Az is using a Tablet or phone anyway, so rather than having to get your readings, then bend down to the ground to read your circles, instead, you just start pushing the scope.

I think it is a brilliant offering.

Sadly I cannot really shed light on whether it is any good or not, but at the price it looks like a far better solution to me than printed circles.

Edited by Eddgie, 09 January 2017 - 09:58 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, aeajr and Juan Rayo like this

#14 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

Why is it not relevant?? The OP stated that he was new and interested in a way to help him locate things.,He didn't say it had to be electronic.,:) Manual circles and a tablet are just as accurate and fast as store bought set-ups so why not suggest them??
  • Keith Rivich and Roger Corbett like this

#15 nevy

nevy

Apollo

• Loc: UK

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

It's use is a bit limited , it can only be used on a small number of scopes ,& it isn't compatible with IOS. 

Maybe it will be made useful to more than a handful of people later. 

#16 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Why is it not relevant?? The OP stated that he was new and interested in a way to help him locate things.,He didn't say it had to be electronic., :) Manual circles and a tablet are just as accurate and fast as store bought set-ups so why not suggest them??

You are right.  I apologize to the poster.  I read the original post as being about this product.

• Jon Isaacs, Roger Corbett and jeffmac like this

#17 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

It's use is a bit limited , it can only be used on a small number of scopes ,& it isn't compatible with IOS. 

Seems to be a fairly new product.  The videos are only out there since October.  There is always testing to be done.

Compatible Brands: Zhumell Z Series Dobsonian, All GSO Dobsonian, old version of Astro-Tec, etc. 

I presume those are what they have tested so far.  Considering the list of scopes and the number of android devices out there I would say this is a good start.  Certainly there are a lot of Z series users on Cloudy Nights.  I don't know what other brands use GSO Dobsonians.

Ya gotta start somewhere.  But If you could get a Z8 with this for $500 rather than an XT8i Intelliscope for $660 the $500 package would be very interesting.   But even more interesting because you could get the Z8 for $400 and add this later if you wanted it.   You can't so that with the Intelliscope. 

Since it has been pointed out to me that the OP might be interested in alternatives I went looking.  

SkyCommander appears to be about $400

http://www.buytelesc...s-encoder-cable

I never heard of the Beti system but it seems similar to the EZ Push To -   But I am not sure if it includes the encoders.  This is Australian based so I presume that is Ausi $ not US $  About $129 if I read it right.

http://www.astrodevi.../BETI/BETI.html

By using the phone as the computer you cut a lot of cost out of the system.

Edited by aeajr, 09 January 2017 - 10:23 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 nevy

nevy

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Yes but real men use iPhones  :lol:

• Roger Corbett likes this

#19 nevy

nevy

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

That was a joke by the way ,no need for anyone to get upset. 

• Roger Corbett and havasman like this

#20 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Eddgie you make it sound much harder then it is to use manual circles.,Bend down to the ground.,give me some credit here.,you look at the hand-set to see which way you need to push.,I look at the tablet to get the ALT/AZ#s.,you look at the hand set and move the scope till it tells you to stop.,I move my scope till the pointer is on the numbers.,I don't have to get down on the ground to see the numbers.,I can see them just fine sitting comfy in my chair.,I can even pick my targets during the day.,write the time and ALT/AZ# down and just bring the notepad and a small clock out to the scope.,I can't see how an Intelliscope type thing can be much different then manual circles.except for the cost,and the fact that electronics can go haywire.,manual circles probably will not.,
  • paul m schofield and Ohmless like this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

I am quite sure it could be adapted to a variety of scopes. Given that one can buy a 7 inch Android tablet with bluetooth for $35, the fact that IOS is not currently supported does not seem to be much of a limitation.  

Eddgie you make it sound much harder then it is to use manual circles.,Bend down to the ground.,give me some credit here.,you look at the hand-set to see which way you need to push.,I look at the tablet to get the ALT/AZ#s.,you look at the hand set and move the scope till it tells you to stop.,I move my scope till the pointer is on the numbers.,I don't have to get down on the ground to see the numbers.,I can see them just fine sitting comfy in my chair.,I can even pick my targets during the day.,write the time and ALT/AZ# down and just bring the notepad and a small clock out to the scope.

DSCs, Intelliscope, they do not require you to remember the numbers, to look at both axes, it's integrated.   I have used manual setting circles, it's not all that easy to read them to 0.1 degree.  

I see the EZ PUSH TO as a game changer, affordable DSCs for $100.  I am quite sure I could adapt it to any of my Dobs without too much difficulty... Degree wheels are workable with Dobs with round bases, they present a challenge for Dobs with square bases.. 

Jon

• Roger Corbett, clearwaterdave, aeajr and 1 other like this

#22 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Remembering two numbers,and glancing at two axis points is not really all that difficult for me. I can do this and be viewing the object in about 10sec..,And no it won't be accurate to 0.1*(my circles are only marked every 5*)but it doesn't have to be.It can off by 1.0* and the target will still be in the FOV..This device will be very cool if it can be applied to a lot of scopes.,but "I" don't think it any better or worse than manual circles.,YMMV.,and that's all right.,And good luck to the OP in finding what works and is affordable to him.
  • aeajr likes this

#23 nevy

nevy

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

I am quite sure it could be adapted to a variety of scopes. Given that one can buy a 7 inch Android tablet with bluetooth for $35, the fact that IOS is not currently supported does not seem to be much of a limitation.  

I'm not trying to slate the idea , I agree with you Jon it could be a game changer & I would be potential buyer ,but I don't want to buy another phone especially for it , I already have two iPhones & an iPad. 

I would want it to be compatible specifically with my scopes with easy installation. 

I would rather wait for it to be ready for my neads if I were to buy,

One  thing I'm a bit concerned with is that the azimuth contraption looks like it could be to tall/high/thick & may not have enough clearance with certain scopes ,some scopes only have a few mm of clearance between the bottom of scope & centre bolt also some scopes have feet to contend with as well. 

I will keep my eye on this device for future developments & compatibility. 

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Remembering two numbers,and glancing at two axis points is not really all that difficult for me. I can do this and be viewing the object in about 10sec..,And no it won't be accurate to 0.1*(my circles are only marked every 5*)but it doesn't have to be.It can off by 1.0* and the target will still be in the FOV..This device will be very cool if it can be applied to a lot of scopes.,but "I" don't think it any better or worse than manual circles.,YMMV.,and that's all right.,And good luck to the OP in finding what works and is affordable to him.

I think if you step back and think about it, it's really quite different than manual setting circles.  It eliminates a couple of steps.  

Imagine trying to use manual setting circles on top of a ladder, then think about using the EZ PUSH TO.. No way one could use manual setting circles from a ladder.  And when your field of view is maybe 0.6 degrees total, you better be with in about a quarter of a degree...  

Myself, I use neither DSCs or manual setting circles, I star hop.. It can be more precise than either but it requires more mental effort... And for me, it's just great fun.

Jon

• kfiscus and aeajr like this

#25 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

To me this is like the GPS in the car.  I don't turn it on every time.  I use it mostly when I go somewhere new or unplanned.  After I have been there a few times I don't need it anymore.  And I have a back-up in my phone if I need it.  

Then I have paper maps to back that up but I don't think they have been opened or updated in 15+ years.  I used to have county paper maps for every county I was likely to pass through in the surrounding states.  They have all been tossed.  I just have the one national atlas with a page for each state and a few key cities.

Edited by aeajr, 09 January 2017 - 03:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics