•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EZ PUSH TO

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#51 Ken83

Ken83

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info, I was watching some videos earlier this morning. I also checked their Facebook page. I was hoping someone on CN may have it or uses it. Basically I'm not trying to be the guinea pig...lol.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#52 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm thinking my first scope will be the Zhumell Z8... at least that's my plan and this "EZ Push To" looks like just the thing to get me over the edge of wanting a GO TO system (I was looking at the Celestron NexStar 127SLT Mak).

I'd also like some of the ideas of putting manual degrees on the two axis as a backup.   The tech in me likes the use of potentiometers (I assume it's what they are)... and linking up to software.   It would be nice if apps like Stellarium would show the degrees from Polaris or whatever EZ Push uses.

Back to studying this thread and all the helpful links.

• Fredd likes this

#53 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Just FYI.

Using the Intelliscope Computer Object Locator
http://s7d5.scene7.c...niversal_Video1

Great video on how it's used.    Actually had a hard time finding exactly how to use a "Push To" system.    It was exactly how I thought it would be, but nice to see it.

Thanks!

#54 MonstroSean

MonstroSean

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Des Moines, Iowa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

So, has anyone tried this ez push unit out?

#55 Ken83

Ken83

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

I ended up buying the xt8i. It's deadly accurate. With that said an z12 with this might be awesome! I'm still waiting for CN members to try it out and weigh in

#56 MonstroSean

MonstroSean

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Des Moines, Iowa

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

I am hopefully buying an 8" dobsonian this week. I found two used ones, that I actually just posted about minutes ago, or I could go with the new z8 as this ez push to, seems very interesting!
  • Ken83 likes this

#57 Ken83

Ken83

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

I am hopefully buying an 8" dobsonian this week. I found two used ones, that I actually just posted about minutes ago, or I could go with the new z8 as this ez push to, seems very interesting!

Congratulations!! I live in light polluted Connecticut and have been able to see a ton of stuff with my 8 inch. The best part is I can pick the scope and base up in one piece. Hopefully the new scope curse doesn't visit you like it did me.

#58 michaeldurban

michaeldurban

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Durban, South Africa

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

i also had a look at their website,

the first thing that struck me was the 'broken english', the second thing that they are

'operating' from Houston and the third -most alarming- thing was the gmail address..

my wife works for a major bank and immediately said, "ordering from some company displaying

only a gmail address is an immediate red-flag in the world of banking.."

of-course I could be totally wrong, but my gut tells me "watch out" ..so, I'm out

Edited by michaeldurban, 07 May 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• Ken83 and Nightranger like this

#59 Ian1957

Ian1957

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cocoa,Fl

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

I would still like to know if any body has got one. And what they think of it?

• luxo II likes this

#60 Juan Rayo

Juan Rayo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tegucigalpa, Honduras

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

Me too. I really with is a. for real and b. works as intended. Could only be good for the hobby.

#61 dmgriff

dmgriff

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 30 degrees latitude, USA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

i also had a look at their website,

the first thing that struck me was the 'broken english', the second thing that they are

'operating' from Houston and the third -most alarming- thing was the gmail address..

my wife works for a major bank and immediately said, "ordering from some company displaying

only a gmail address is an immediate red-flag in the world of banking.."

of-course I could be totally wrong, but my gut tells me "watch out" ..so, I'm out

A google search for the address given in contact us is a 4 bedroom house in Missouri City TX (a suburb of Houston, TX).

Looks like the company may be a "mom and pop" operation and sells GSO newtonian and rc reflectors and accessories plus the EZ Push To. Nothing against mom and pop type sites, I have bought alot of stuff from ScopeStuff, a two person mom and pop operation. They go on vacation and it shuts down on shipping, etc.

Good viewing,

Dave

Edited by dmgriff, 19 July 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#62 Ian1957

Ian1957

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

It would seem like nobody is willing to be the guinea pig here. Don't blame them. smile.gif

#63 psh

psh

EZ Push To

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

I am not sure if it is appropriate to join the the discussion here.

I am one of the EZ PUSH TO designers, and sell the kit on line.

I am from Taiwan, and cooperated with GSO for many years.  The developement of EZ PUSH TO is under the supporting from GSO, and that is why we only sell GSO manufactured telescopes.

EZ PUSH TO is not so good in the viewpoint of the total solution.  The original idea is to upgrade lots of sold GSO manufactured Dob in the past 10 years.

In order to be compatible with different models, the kit is designed as removable module.   The elesctronics is made in Taiwan, but assemble in US.  The software is developed in Texas because the sky in Taiwan is often cloudy.  Most algorithm in app should be tested in real sky to make sure the its expected accuracy.  

EZ PUSH TO performs very good if the Dob is on perfect level and its altitude and azimuth motion is orthogonal.    GSO have started to design a new model of Dob for the total solution.   We are helping them to integrate the identical electronics in the new model.

During the period, we spent effort to develope Android and iOS app.   When the app on both platform is ready, we are rewiting the documents for EZ PUSH TO (manuals etc.)  I apologize our poor English at this moment, and will improve the materials soon.

• Jon Isaacs, oalithgow, K4PDM and 8 others like this

#64 Juan Rayo

Juan Rayo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tegucigalpa, Honduras

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for dropping by and telling us more about the product!

#65 Ian1957

Ian1957

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

I am not sure if it is appropriate to join the the discussion here.

I am one of the EZ PUSH TO designers, and sell the kit on line.

I am from Taiwan, and cooperated with GSO for many years.  The developement of EZ PUSH TO is under the supporting from GSO, and that is why we only sell GSO manufactured telescopes.

EZ PUSH TO is not so good in the viewpoint of the total solution.  The original idea is to upgrade lots of sold GSO manufactured Dob in the past 10 years.

In order to be compatible with different models, the kit is designed as removable module.   The elesctronics is made in Taiwan, but assemble in US.  The software is developed in Texas because the sky in Taiwan is often cloudy.  Most algorithm in app should be tested in real sky to make sure the its expected accuracy.  

EZ PUSH TO performs very good if the Dob is on perfect level and its altitude and azimuth motion is orthogonal.    GSO have started to design a new model of Dob for the total solution.   We are helping them to integrate the identical electronics in the new model.

During the period, we spent effort to develope Android and iOS app.   When the app on both platform is ready, we are rewiting the documents for EZ PUSH TO (manuals etc.)  I apologize our poor English at this moment, and will improve the materials soon.

I think what you need to do is to get some independent reviews from respected members of the Astronomy Community. Because if your product is as good as I think it maybe is, you would sell quite a few. 

#66 psh

psh

EZ Push To

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Thank you for your kind suggestion.

You could search many brands Dob in the market, however, only very few manufactures in the world. Skywatcher and GSO are the two major reflector manufactures at this moment. Skywatcher looks a Chinese factory.  Actually, the boss is from Taiwan.  GSO is in Taiwan as well.  So interesting, the last name of the boss of Skywatcher and GSO are the same.

GSO did not build their sales channel.  In the beginning, GSO manufactured Newtonian for Orion long time ago.  After that, many dealers order the identical products from GSO with different brands.  The mirrors in Light Bridge is  identical with the one in Zhumell today.

We all know the fact the appearance of GSO manufactured Dob are not so attractive.  There are lots of drawback in the Dob.  Stretchable truss on Skywatcher Dob causes the issue of optical alignment.  However, you probably could not carry  10" or larger GSO (Zhumell) Dob with a compact car.  Forget it if you only use Dob at home.  Because of the manufactured contract, GSO can not modify their constrction design so far.   This is why GSO Dob always be the lowest price in the market.

Talking about the advantage of GSO Dob, the optics is one of the best products.  Many users discuss the accuracy of the mirror.  It is not the accuracy of polishing, it is the issue of glass material.  Every mirror was polished as good as 1/15 wavelength, but it became poor while cooling down.  GSO uses zero heat expansion glass for RC optics, but never used the same glass on Newtonian. If you consider to DIY GOTO on your Dob.  GSO Dob is the best one and only choice because the bearing system on the mount.

Before 2000, Japanese companies mass produced the high quality small-medium EQ mount successfully.  None could competes with Japanese products for a long time.  The success of skywatcher NEQ6 encouraged many factories after 2000.  GSO did not manufacture any refractor, they buy the elements instead.  GSO only focuses on mirror manufacture. Most of OTA of reflector are huge and heavy, GSO never thought to develop small EQ mount.  The first idea came out from GSO is to develop PUSH TO system on their Dob.  If successful, probably the GOTO system for RC would be in the future.  Currently, no economic solution for bigger RC telescopes no matter how good they could manufacture affordable RC.

GSO is starting the next generation Dob with PUSH TO electronics.  However, developing new products is a big investment and high risk. Before that, we did the same module to upgrade those Dob sold in United States first.  

In the past years, only Orion provides PUSH TO Dob, and Skywatcher sells GOTO Dob.  I believed that they spent more effort in software than hardware.  Level adjustment and system orthogonality between altitude and azimuth motion on AZT-AZ mount are more complicated than those on EQ mount.  The other popular app did provide the system alignment for EQ mount but not Dob.  This is why we have to develop our app.

We are the team from Taiwan.  Almost 90% telescopes are sold in the internet.  This is why we did not rent a store but build a lab at our house instead for s startup.  If we deliberately deceive buyers, we should sell Takahashi but not GSO or its accessories only.   I left a message on my facebook if you would like to try it but worry about the performance.  Certainly, you are welcome to send us an email about the trail.

• Jon Isaacs, K4PDM, Ian1957 and 2 others like this

#67 psh

psh

EZ Push To

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Talking about EZ PUSH TO

You know this is a pair of encoders installed on Dob. The angles (altitude and azimuth) are sent to mobile phone through BT.  The app is ready on Google Play and Apple Store.

Encoders

The encoders are AS5600-ASOMCT to detect the customized magnets fixed on Dob. The measurement is directly and no contacted to be a removable modules and achieve the expected accuracy every time.  The resolution is 0.08°, but displayed as 0.1° on smart phone.

Accuracy:
Actual observing, the accuracy would be < 0.3° in the worst case.  However, I install the same module on my metal ALT-AZ mount, the accuracy is much better ( < 0.2° in the worst case).  The problem is the wooden base for Dob is not as rigid as metal tripod.  It is very easy to locate the target in 100x eyepiece after several stars alignments. The repeatability is excellent; I guarantee 0.1° at any direction.  The celestial computation is based on VSOP87.

App on iOS and Android
The app is available in Apple Store from 06/30.  The Android version is available from last year.  We often update the app, and continue to add more stars data in the app.  The background stars is about 120K, and more than 10K objects for observing.  The coming updated app contains more than 240K stars (Smithsonian catalogue) on the sky map background.  The app is designed for observing, we have to display more stars in higher frame rate to make the PUSH TO smoothly and show the map like what you are browsing in the eyepiece.

System alignments
If the level bias is 0.1°, or if the bias is 0.1° in altitude and azimuth axis, the system accuracy would be greater than 0.1°.  The multi stars alignment helps to improve the system accuracy. 
Besides, the app provides a designed level meter for level adjustment. The whole system rotates around the bottom plate of Dob.  Be aware, we indicate the level is measured referring to the bottom plate of Dob.

• Ian1957 and Roger Corbett like this

#68 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

you'd want some sort of night mode for the light from the phone

That's already built in as part of iOS, at least for iPhones. Works quite well.

#69 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

PSH:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

And thank you for sharing this all this information, it's very exciting.  

I have had my 10 inch GSO for 14 years now.. it's never been my biggest scope but it's been a good scope.. and yes, I remember when the first GSO Orion XT-6s and XT-8s came out, I bought a used XT-8 in 2001. When Orion switched to Synta, that seemed to out GSO in a bad situation. But GSO responded by just making a better scope.

6004392-3bears2.jpg

(10 inch GSO, 12.5 inch Discovery, XT-8 by GSO)

One suggestion:. 

Provide a driver so that the EZ-Pushto could be used with Sky Safari...  

Jon

• Roger Corbett, psh, LtDan1776 and 1 other like this

#70 Tim J K

Tim J K

Mariner 2

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

PSH:

Do you have a time frame of when the next generation push to GSO Dobs might be for sale?  Sometime in 2018, or will it be longer before they would be available?

Also, I noticed that you sell a GSO 8 inch Dob with the EZ Push To.  Will you eventually offer this with the 12 inch GSO Dob?  Thanks PSH.

Tim

#71 Japneet Singh

Japneet Singh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hey everyone,I am new to this forum.I am planning to buy a Gso telescope.I know where to buy the scope but where can I buy the Ez go to system.I live in India.Please reply anyone.

#72 Japneet Singh

Japneet Singh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

*Ez Push To system

#73 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

• Loc: lockport,ny

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

you can get it on ebay

#74 Japneet Singh

Japneet Singh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:34 PM

But not in India bro

#75 Japneet Singh

Japneet Singh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:46 PM

Also there is a video on you tube which suggests that we can make our scope Intelliscope by raspberry module and stellarium softeare.Can anyone review this.Also there are a lot of raspberry models available online which one to choose.The link to video is down below.Pls help.....

https://youtu.be/fRAF6LnHk1A

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics