•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Incomplete imaging projects of 2016

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

After dismantling my widefield setup and loading the RC8 for galaxy images, I was reviewing the data of projects I was working in fall of 2016 which never got completed due to the horrible weather :(  I had naively started a bunch of mosaic projects and ofcourse they never got anywhere done. I have archived all this data and hope to get back on it later this year.

- SH2-240 : 4 panel mosaic. This started as a 8 panel mosaic with my QSI690 and then I restarted it as a 4 panel mosaic with the ASI1600. Both didnt get completed and I couldn't even get them combine (which probably would habve been enough data for atleast a Ha only image)

Sh2-205 - This was a "parking" target until 240 rose and couldnt get anything from that

sh2-224 - Another unfinished parking. This was supposed to be a 3 panel mosaic

Sh2-232 - Almost 140 subs later, it started to resolve better.. but never got to completion

Orion Mosaic - 8 panel mosaic meant to be HaRGB.... I could barely get 1 hour on each of the panel with horrible background level differences.

What projects do you folks have that didnt get completed last year ? Would love to see/hear about it.

Capture.JPG

• AstroGabe, torsinadoc and FiremanDan like this

#2 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I also abandoned Sh2-157 and Sh2-132 when I did the QSI690 to ASI1600 switch... all in all, I got about 4 images completed all fall and about 8 abandoned....

#3 futuneral

futuneral

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Spent 3 last months of the year imaging one target - Heart&Soul nebulae trying to a 6 panel narrowband mosaic. A lot of things went wrong, but finally I accumulated almost 40 hours of data. Spent probably a month trying to integrate those subs, fighting PI's "can't find putative stars" error (still don't have a solution). After hours and hours with PI finally got panels integrated ... only to realize that gradients there are terrible and I need to reprocess everything from scratch...

Really wanted to finish by the end of the year, but this project just wouldn't cooperate. I'll get to it later, but I need some rest from it.

Also, because of this project, another set of subs sits unprocessed - my very first LRGB - Pleiades. 

• FiremanDan likes this

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Interesting thread!  I had 3 that I abandoned due to weather, still may have a shot at getting more on some of them if the weather would take a turn!  Below, HDW-2, only got 1 hour on and I circled it so you know where it is supposed to be!  A close up on IC1795 that I got a couple of hours of HA on, and NGC1999 after I saw Josh's gorgeous shot of it I remembered I had tried this 4 years ago and got very little so started on it and got 2 hours of luminance.  In between these I did get a close up of Merope in luminance and used an old shot for chrominance due to weather also!!

Unfinished-2016.jpg

• anismo likes this

#5 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:12 PM

Spent 3 last months of the year imaging one target - Heart&Soul nebulae trying to a 6 panel narrowband mosaic. A lot of things went wrong, but finally I accumulated almost 40 hours of data. Spent probably a month trying to integrate those subs, fighting PI's "can't find putative stars" error (still don't have a solution). After hours and hours with PI finally got panels integrated ... only to realize that gradients there are terrible and I need to reprocess everything from scratch...

Really wanted to finish by the end of the year, but this project just wouldn't cooperate. I'll get to it later, but I need some rest from it.

Also, because of this project, another set of subs sits unprocessed - my very first LRGB - Pleiades. 

I had my first taste on mosaics this year. They are brutal! Good luck on getting that finished! 

• futuneral likes this

#6 scopenitout

scopenitout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mt. Belzoni

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

I looked through my imaging logbook entries for 2016. Too depressing to list the number of unfinished projects and long periods of poor weather with no imaging at all.
  • torsinadoc likes this

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

I had my first taste on mosaics this year. They are brutal! Good luck on getting that finished! 

Makes me wonder how I ever finished my 5 panel mosaic of the California Nebula in HA, OIII, SII 4 years ago with nearly 50 hours in it!

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

These are my 2 incomplete, both called for more integration time, but at least with an OSC you get some output. First up is M1, wanted 6 hours got a little more than 2.

Attached Thumbnails

• Messier-1-PS1.jpg

#9 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Next is NGC 6545 tried for 3 different nights, gave up after the 3rd night 1.5 hours :(

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC-6545PS-3.jpg

#10 futuneral

futuneral

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thanks. Yours turned out great (even though you were complaining :)) I keep the page with that post open in my Chrome all the time as a reference. Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

#11 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

These are my 2 incomplete, both called for more integration time, but at least with an OSC you get some output. First up is M1, wanted 6 hours got a little more than 2.

This looks pretty good already!

• hfjacinto likes this

#12 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

Saddest image was NGC 1624, I got 16 hours of data and only 2 hours were good, this was before autofocus. I had accidentally loosened the focuser so for after the first 2 hours, the focuser slipped, and I kept on imaging for 3 more nights.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC1624 PS_1.jpg

#13 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

I hear you .. have been there with the star match errors and terrible background level gradients, linear fit removing huge amounts of data.. etc.. completing a full SHO mosaic  from LIGHT POLLUTED location takes guts.. 

• futuneral likes this

#14 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

This is what I was able to salvage using the best in focus subs. 

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC1624-PS-2.jpg

#15 APshooter

APshooter

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

The Bubble nebula and Cone Nebula in SHO, as well as M1.  Bad weather limited the attempts I started this year, so I concentrated it all on galaxies instead.

#16 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

2 months later, still waiting to finish this, stupid freaking weather: 

31026815513_0670a13d39_c.jpgOrion Mosaic by Eric, on Flickr

• AstroGabe, TSSClay, Jon Rista and 3 others like this

#17 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

2 months later, still waiting to finish this, stupid freaking weather: 

31026815513_0670a13d39_c.jpgOrion Mosaic by Eric, on Flickr

ouch..! That is a gorgeous field.. hope you get to complete it

• erictheastrojunkie likes this

#18 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Apollo

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Bad weather is hampering my attempt at the heart and soul 6-panel mosaic.  I have half of my SII and still need to get OIII.  That's all so far from 2016, which isn't too bad.  I'd like to get more southern targets here in the winter, but it seems every clear night is either very windy or I have other obligations.  Ugh...

• sparkyht and FiremanDan like this

#19 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

I went with a bi-color for my Heart & Soul mosaic after fighting to get enough OIII to really make a decent image. I suppose I can aim for getting SII next year and make it a SHO. 

• AstroGabe likes this

#20 Thirteen

Thirteen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

I had a lot of unfinished business in 2016.  I felt like time got away from me for the most part.   Looking back, this one caught my eye.   I would like to get back to it with my larger chip.  I started shooting it in March, so it should be coming back around now.     Of course, I'm still without my primary mount, so.... :fingertap:

This is NGC5363 with the ASI174MM-Cool.  41x5min luminance.

NGC5363_L_v05.jpg

• hfjacinto, AstroGabe, Jon Rista and 2 others like this

#21 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

Wow.. that looks great (as well). Interestingly I ZWO's AS174MM cool page links to your thread on this camera and saw your NGC2685., that was an awesome image as well.. 

#22 Thirteen

Thirteen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Milford, Michigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, you know, you just opened up a can of worms for me.    I just looked at that image on AB using Google Chrome.   In newer images, I've always been careful to strip my ICC profile from images before loading them to AB.   That image still has one embedded and looks totally different using IE, Edge, or Chrome.   It looks like total garbage on Chrome, actually.  

#23 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

oh! I dont even know to strip the ICC profile! hmm...  :hmm:  I need to start looking into that as well I guess..

• FiremanDan likes this

#24 shawnhar

shawnhar

Cosmos

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

Just uncheck it in the "save as" options

• anismo and FiremanDan like this

#25 DaveB

DaveB

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I have a moderate amount of data on M27 (Dumbbell Nebula) that is sitting "on the shelf" as I attempt to build a lightbox to get good flats. My flats look like a bowl of cheerios, so they are definitely needed. I'm trying to adapt agile software methodology to how I build my lightbox (build a little, see how it looks, design a fix or improvement, repeat), with a mix of humorous and not-so-humorous results, but I'm getting close now. Once that is built, I'll use those flats for M27 and be off and running.

Dave.

p.s. A moderate amount of data is an improvement from my usual get-a-few-targets-per-night approach.

Edited by DaveB, 12 January 2017 - 04:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics