•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power adapter arrived for the Super Space Conqueror!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor - Landers Scientific

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I ordered this adapter the other day to power my Super Space Conqueror's drives. While I had already verified that the drives worked by plugging it into an extension cord, it's an AC drive and the power cord is only a few inches long, thus requiring an inverter for my PowerTank or 300 feet of extension cord (no).

A few minutes ago UPS delivered the adapter. It's a cute little thing the size of a credit card. I plugged it into the SSC and PowerTank and it works perfectly!

Now if only it was clear tonight...

• ScottAstroNut, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#2 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Those AC sync. timing motor draw very little current so they will run fine an DC/AC adapter. If you want to get a fancy, first check the frequency that the unit is making. Your telescope  uses a motor speed and gear ratio that drive your scope at solar rate  ( 1 rev in 1440 minutes) when the motor is powered at 60.0 Hz. The frequency that these unit put out  is usually not exactly that frequency. For visual work it won't matter much but you can usually go inside the unit and adjust it and then set so the frequency is 60.1 Hz . That will drive your scope a bit faster and close to sidereal rate of  1 rev in 1436 minutes.

- Dave 

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#3 starman876

starman876

Voyager 1

• Loc: VA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Those AC sync. timing motor draw very little current so they will run fine an DC/AC adapter. If you want to get a fancy, first check the frequency that the unit is making. Your telescope  uses a motor speed and gear ratio that drive your scope at solar rate  ( 1 rev in 1440 minutes) when the motor is powered at 60.0 Hz. The frequency that these unit put out  is usually not exactly that frequency. For visual work it won't matter much but you can usually go inside the unit and adjust it and then set so the frequency is 60.1 Hz . That will drive your scope a bit faster and close to sidereal rate of  1 rev in 1436 minutes.

- Dave 

normally those units put out a square wave.  Some fancier ones put out a modified sine wave.  

#4 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

- Dave 

normally those units put out a square wave.  Some fancier ones put out a modified sine wave.  

For these types of AC sync motors it doesn't make a difference if it is square wave or a sine wave. The inductance in the motor will smooth out the waveform and motor will be happy. 

- Dave 

• terraclarke, bremms and sthater like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics