•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Longest or largest aperture APO on a Nexstar 6/8 SE mount?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Not sure if I should post this topic here, or in the refractor or SCT forums?

Anyone use an apo refractor on a Nexstar 6/8 SE mount?

I'm asking because I now have a spare Nexstar 6/8 SE mount and was wondering what type of APO refractor I could mount on it?

Is it basically the length of the refractor that I should be looking out for? I also have an ADM dovetail bar that has been fitted with extra holes to extend the bar even higher. It's basically a bar for an 11" SCT but with extra holes. Although the Edge 8 I had previously tilted when risen too high, perhaps an APO with less weight can be extended. 

Would you get an 80mm or 100mm APO? Or a bit more? This is for solar viewing with a quark and for deep sky night views.

Thanks

#2 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

I regularly use my SE mount for my 90mm/f6.7 and my 102mm/f6. (See signature)

As long as I put an extension tube in the back of the diagonal I can observe at zenith.

• Procyon likes this

#3 jallbery

jallbery

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

At 100-102mm, I'd be as concerned about weight as I would be length.   A 4" APO triplet with rings, etc. can weigh more than a C8.

I've used my 4/5SE with my 80mm EDF doublet, but I put the mount on my C8 tripod and wedge, which gave plenty of clearance except of course for the celestial north pole.

Edited by jallbery, 11 January 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• Procyon likes this

#4 Stargezzer

Stargezzer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal Canyon area

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I, use my extra 8se mount for my Vixen ED80. It works great (fast and easy). I use this setup when I don't have a lot of time or I am not trying to take long exposure images otherwise I use the ED80 on my AVX mount.

Thanks George

• Procyon likes this

#5 Procyon

Procyon

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

As long as I put an extension tube in the back of the diagonal I can observe at zenith.

At 100-102mm, I'd be as concerned about weight as I would be length.   A 4" APO triplet with rings, etc. can weigh more than a C8.

I've used my 4/5SE with my 80mm EDF doublet, but I put the mount on my C8 tripod and wedge, which gave plenty of clearance except of course for the celestial north pole.

I, use my extra 8se mount for my Vixen ED80. It works great (fast and easy). I use this setup when I don't have a lot of time or I am not trying to take long exposure images otherwise I use the ED80 on my AVX mount.

Thanks George

Guys, thank you very much for the input. 

I really want an 102mm-115mm. Perhaps the 115mm might be too much at 13lbs. The Edge I was using was 14lbs though, naked. Maybe we shouldn't calculate the rings and things than?

I really want one of these 4.

1) Astro-Tech AT115EDT f/7 ED Triplet Refractor 13lbs/27.5" long without the dew shield

2) EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC CF 102MM F/7 TRIPLET 7lbs/23.75"

3) EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC 102MM F/7 ESSENTIAL SERIES APO TRIPLET 12lbs/23.75"

4) LUNT ENGINEERING 102MM F/7 ED DOUBLET (Supposedly the length and weight is top secret info, can't be found anywhere..)

Edited by Procyon, 11 January 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#6 Procyon

Procyon

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

Hey there Kon, is there anyway you can show me a picture with the 102mm mounted? Or describe what you meant by an extension behind the diagonal to vew at zenith? Won't that make it worse? Unless you mean an Extension bar? I really want to fit a 102mm at this point. 

I really like your scope: http://www.365astron...-Telescope.html

That red one looks like a solarscope lol. It's only 8.15 lbs and about 21-22 inches, that could be perfect.

Edited by Procyon, 11 January 2017 - 07:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics