•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looked at my calendar . . .

ATM eyepieces double star DIY mirror making moon observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ed_turco

ed_turco

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

I saw the date and remembered that I had my first look at the moon this date in 1957.   Telescope making came within a year or so.

I've seen plenty in these 60 years; the thing that bothers me most is light pollution.  We had so little of it when I started out.  Sixth magnitude was the norm for a dark sky only a few miles out of town.

I got so old in the process -- I hope that my next 60 years will be easier.

Clear Skies!

ed

• PrestonE, Gary Fuchs, Rusted and 9 others like this

#2 bremms

bremms

Skylab

• Loc: SC

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

I saw the date and remembered that I had my first look at the moon this date in 1957.   Telescope making came within a year or so.

I've seen plenty in these 60 years; the thing that bothers me most is light pollution.  We had so little of it when I started out.  Sixth magnitude was the norm for a dark sky only a few miles out of town.

Clear Skies!

ed

Skies are insanely bright now compared to even 30 years ago. Here in SC there are no real regulations about lighting. Businesses put up lights that shine everywhere, No shielding, pointing out at the lot. Bare Lamps in your eye even while driving on the street. Spraying most of the light into the sky. I've given up honestly. Wrote letters and called people when I lived in Baltimore. Here in SC?? Nobody cares at all.

#3 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

Yes, encroaching light pollution can be discouraging.  That is why I consider it all the more important for us to actively support the International Dark Sky Association and to get involved with local politics about lighting issues.  Educating our community leaders about the cost savings associated with better use of lighting, and the improved safety that comes with using LED lights at colors of 3000 Kelvin or less, properly shielded, and properly directed, are all issues we can make a positive impact on.

• kfiscus likes this

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Happy anniversary, Ed! :waytogo:

#5 dan_h

dan_h

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Clear Skies!

ed

I can relate to that.

God Bless.

dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, eyepieces, double star, DIY, mirror making, moon, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics