•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Manfrotto Binocular super clamp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

I have two excellent binoculars with the 1/4" threaded hole underneath one of the barrels. My initial reaction was pretty positive. I thought its great that once does not need the adapter to mount the binos as the body can be attached directly to the tripod. 

Unfortunately that did works as expected. When I attach them to the tripod and then bring the barrels closer to suit my IPD the binos are tilted. One barrel is lower than the other. That means I have to tilt my head to align them with binocular. The Binos stay horizontal only for lowest IPD.

I am thinking of using Manfrotto Binocular super clamp to mount these on a tripod instead of the built in threaded hole. Has anybody tried that clamp. Will it work on 10X50 Binoculars?

Edited by Abhat, 11 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Nobodo

Nobodo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rural Douglas County, Colorado, USA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

I haven't used it personally, but was at a meeting where it was used on 7x50, and it seemed to work ok.  But see caveat below.

According to the specs, Clamp range round tube: 13-55mm, so perhaps measure the binos you want to use them with before ordering?  It might depend on your prism size?

According to another thread, it isn't good for 50mm.

Edited by Nobodo, 11 January 2017 - 05:55 PM.

• Abhat likes this

#3 faackanders2

faackanders2

Skylab

• -----

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

I have two excellent binoculars with the 1/4" threaded hole underneath one of the barrels. My initial reaction was pretty positive. I thought its great that once does not need the adapter to mount the binos as the body can be attached directly to the tripod. 

Unfortunately that did works as expected. When I attach them to the tripod and then bring the barrels closer to suit my IPD the binos are tilted. One barrel is lower than the other. That means I have to tilt my head to align them with binocular. The Binos stay horizontal only for lowest IPD.

I am thinking of using Manfrotto Binocular super clamp to mount these on a tripod instead of the built in threaded hole. Has anybody tried that clamp. Will it work on 10X50 Binoculars?

Believe I have it.  Works OK with zero gravity chair and 2.3lb lightweight Orion Mini Giants, but barley works for 10 lb 25x100. 

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

doesn't it scratch the binoculars with the clamp?

(see "other thread" photos)

edj

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Skylab

• -----

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Believe I have it.  Works OK with zero gravity chair and 2.3lb lightweight Orion Mini Giants, but barley works for 10 lb 25x100. 

Clamp attached to zero gravity chair.  Manfrotto Arrm.   Actually attached bino with camera threads (not clamp).

#6 Foss

Foss

Mariner 2

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

As an interim solution you might experiment with adjusting the tripod legs.   

#7 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

I was thinking about that but then realized that won't work if you move the head. I will have to spin the tripod as well.  However I did find that a $9 mini ball head works. Mini ball heads can be mounted on existing tripod plate and tiled just a tad bit to make binos horizontal.

#8 Nobodo

Nobodo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rural Douglas County, Colorado, USA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

I was thinking about that but then realized that won't work if you move the head. I will have to spin the tripod as well.  However I did find that a $9 mini ball head works. Mini ball heads can be mounted on existing tripod plate and tiled just a tad bit to make binos horizontal.

I have one of these (pistol grip head) and like it a lot for binoculars under about 4 pounds.  It's quick and easy to adjust at any angle, including zenith.

I've used it successfully with binoculars up to 7 pounds, but heavier ones need a more delicate touch on adjusting the tension on the ball (hex key used to adjust tension).

I prefer it with lighter binos; it works great for 10x50 or so.

It's the best head I've ever used on a monopod, but works good on a regular tripod too.

Edited by Nobodo, 14 January 2017 - 01:23 PM.

• Foss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics