•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3615 replies to this topic

#3026 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:49 AM

Very cool picture Scott.,Well guess who slept through the whole clear night.,not even a bino view out the window.,it's embarassing.,lol.,That bowl if pasta put me down for the count.,

3* here now.,but looking like a nice sunny day.,stay warm.,

• Scott123 likes this

#3027 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

lots of twinkling stars when I sacked out at 9:00 and set the alarm...  Up at midnight and things were as they should be except I had a haze coming and going that was finally full time.  I stepped out on the deck to get a better look at the sky and I think it was an inversion layer of wood smoke from the village.  We're downhill and downstream from the major Buckfield population center.  We might have been contributing as well :-)   Only one dog here on a 3 dog night so I had both the wood stove and the pellet stove going. oh well, seems like the best viewing is times you don't plan for...

• Scott123 likes this

#3028 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

"The best viewing is times you don't plan for".,This is so true.,Sometimes I realize it after the fact.,I'll be thinking about the night.,winding down and that's when it dawns on me.,that the views were really good.,I got up at 11:30 to stoke the stove and it looked like the stars were dim.,but I had a light on so it was hard to tell.,

Tomorrow night is looking ok.,I have only been out 2 nights this year.,that's no good.,lol.,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3029 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

the night.,winding down and that's when it dawns on me.

Pun, intended?

Edited by Scott123, 21 January 2020 - 06:31 PM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3030 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

Pun.,mwhaa.,lol.,not this time.,I could see Orion earlier but not for long.,trying to view the sword.,but I couldn't get a handle on it.,getting the 3 stars in the belt.,that was a cinch.,then all the stars went away.,the end.,

• Scott123 likes this

#3031 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

We had stars here.,.I was out from 6:30-7:30.,with the OS.,got a few clusters and a few galaxies.,an some stars..,came in for coffee.,back out at 8 and the clouds had moved in.,pooh.,lol.,The OS is still out,.not lookin to good though.,cheers.,

Edit.,It cleared off so I went back out for an hour from 11-12.,I started looking west.,my list in my head.,first.,M1.,it was getting low into the muck but still visible.,then up a little to M35 and the surrounding star group.,very nice with the ES20/68.,Next was M42.,then down to M41through the trees.,still nice.,lol.,last but not.,M44 and M67.,the later being a small cluster in Cancer.,very cool in it's own way.,one of my favs.,I put the ES,8/82 in to get a nice close up look at this cluster.,I was hoping to see the Leo trio but all off Leo was still behind the big spruce.,so I just scanned around MW east of CMa. with the 20/68 till I was dizzy.,

It was calm.,23*.,seeing an trans just ok.,but I had me a fine time.,and as always.,the OS was a treat.,

Anyone else get out?.,cheers.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 23 January 2020 - 07:45 AM.

• Greyhaven, BFaucett and Mike96 like this

#3032 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

as luck would have it I woke up at a little after midnight and after tossing and turning a little, wondered why I was awake.. then it occurred to me to check my scope window.  Bingo, nice sky, dark adjusted eyes and I was ready to go.  Timing was great for the targets I was looking for a couple of nights ago.  I spent an hour relaxing and poking around and playing with eyepieces I had left out trying to get good views of Venus last evening (before getting clouded out).  Which reminds me, I was able to see Venus as a disk (partial?) at about 50x but it was bright enough to not be as sharp as I was hoping, maybe because of incoming clouds or maybe there is a filter that would help with knocking down the intensity of the light.  After it clouded in I thought I should have tried the 13% moon filter...  doesn't look like this evening will be a chance to try that.

I see there are some good prices out there for Celestron planetary camera as well as others...   around 200+.   My viewing window and scope are right next to my radio desk where I have a couple of desktop PC's with pretty good capabilities...  easily withing USB reach of the scope.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I wondered if it might be a better way to get my feet wet than the experimenting I have been doing with the dslr?  I know I don't have tracking so long exposure stuff is out but it might be fun to try some moon and planetary and learn a little along the way.   Mike

• Greyhaven and clearwaterdave like this

#3033 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

Mike

Glad to see that you're not giving up on imaging. The Celestron NexImage 10 appears to be a good choice to where to start. I read the reviews on Amazon and although the overall rating was a bit low I would say that most of the bad reviews were from people that did not have a clue as to how to use a telescope let alone attach a camera to one. I don't have a window suitable for viewing through all are limited by street light and the others are tree challenged. Be sure to order a color camera unless you want to mess with digitgraphing each object through each of three color filters and then combining the subs. Are you a pc wrangler or Mac? I saw a few reviews claiming issues with macs handling even the Celestron Neximage 10. Be Aware of system compatibility in making your choice. That's the biggest reason I gave up on the ZWO imaging route.

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3034 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

I'm a PC guy Grey..  I have an ipad and iPhone but everything else here is Windows 10 or Android.  came up through the ranks of CPM then into MSDOS and then begrudgingly into the windows environment.  Along the way I strayed in Unix by necessity because of the internet part of things.  The Neximage 10 Color was the one I was looking at..    I admit I have played a bit on Mac's...  my daughter is a devotee and not to be swayed.  They do a lot of stuff crazy well.

the weather looks a little scruffy anyway so I probably will make an order this evening...  :-)

#3035 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

Yes I started on the DARK side. First real computer was back in '84 ish a Mac 512ke ( still have it) then on to a more advanced color capable MacII si. a few years later. I used it to create sales flyers and promo sheets as a road salesman. The biggest reason I went to a windows machine was I was tired of apologizing to PC folks that wanted to share my programs. I remember when MS was pushing windows 96 and Mac was touting " Windows 96 users** Welcome to Mac89**  a year was eternity in the computer world back then. Even after 30+ years bring owned by one computer or other my soul cringes when I'm face to face with a blue screen or the black screen of death that appear when the OS wants to talk to me or worse yet wants me to give it directions.

My eyes need help, due to many hours in front of the laptop, AP makes me feel like a kid again. I got tired of buying bigger scopes and  feeling that twinge of disappointment that each bigger scope, borrowed or bought,  left me with.  Looks to be clouding up again. I need some spring.

Grey

• Scott123 likes this

#3036 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

The stars are comin an goin here in Industry.,it's 30* an I have the OS out again.,this time I put the Baader 32mm plossl in and went straight to the sisters.,Not too bad.,a little fishy around the edge but lots of stars.,I also did M46+47.,I am going to put the power to 46 if it clears again.,that is a rich cluster that deserves more scrutiny.,,I can see Sirius comin an goin out the window here.,.,gonna be sloppy over the weekend,.then sunny for a few.,we are lucky it's not 10 below.,cheers.,

Edit.,I tried the 6.7mm and M46 was very cool.,also looked at M37 with it., This is a new view for me.,usually for clusters I keep the mag. down.,but this is fun.,beam me up Scotty.,lol.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 24 January 2020 - 10:27 PM.

• Greyhaven likes this

#3037 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

glad you got out under the stars last night. Busy day Friday.  Lady Elaine and I had doctors visits, and my youngest son dropped in ( he was heading to Easton Maine to pick up a load of Maine ground apples to bring to Cider Rapids. He took the importunity to drop off  two more tee shirts for my State Tees  collection, Flagstaff AZ and Mississippi are now hanging with their buddies. I'll have to add them to my tee shirt album here later today, Only a handful of states left to complete the lower 48. Stay dry the next few days.

Grey

• Scott123 likes this

#3038 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

My Celestron Neximage 10 arrived yesterday and I finally got some free time (and some hope from CDS) and installed the software and drivers, plugged everything in.  Software came up and saw the camera, went through a little getting familiar and time and then to see if I could find a star or maybe Venus that was around earlier...  Nuthin!  Did a visual and I'm socked in.  :-)  No practice or focus or anything tonight at least for now.  I did swing the camera/scope around and it does know light from dark so I'm somewhat ready should something show up.

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3039 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

Mike I think if you are at square one with the NexImage remember its just a camera...Try taking some images during the day. When you stand a chance to recognize what your not seeing. In your camera control area of your software you will see a GAIN setting that is where your exposure control is. The other area that will impact your results is shutter speed (Exposure) set it as short as you can  for daylight shots and at least 2 seconds for night work before messing with Gain.  I'll bet any daytime  image shown will be basically over exposed showing a plain white screen decrease the gain and the image should darken to a point where you can see a blurry image, then focus. Once you have done this in daylight you will be comfortable with the basic controls. Just remember at night (unless you are capturing the Moon you will have to increase the gain to see the stars pop out of the black screen and then focus. Are you using it in your scope or guide scope?  Your telescope will focus easier than a finder or guide scope.

Good luck with your NexImage 10.

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3040 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

GM Grey..  I am in here to do exactly what you suggested.  I opened the capture program and had a light grainy pic on screen and I reached over and tilted the scope down and it became mottled..  I got up and turned the focus and I am zeroed in on the pines out back.  I knocked down the gain a bit and it did sharpen up the display.  Thats all I've done so far, I need to share that much with you.  I do notice one thing I was a little concerned with though.  I was afraid of the magnification factor where the diagonal of the sensor was quite small  math wise it would give my 540 focal length 80x or more..  My concern was justified.  I am going to go back to it now and see what I can do with different formats and digital zoom settings.   more later   Mike

#3041 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

ok...  update.  For the money this promises to be quite a toy.  I know I'm just breaking the surface but I am starting to figure out a few things..  by playing with the zoom and zoom factor I can manage around the high magnification.  With different combos of the exposure, gain and brightness I can get some pretty sharp terrestrial pictures/videos.  I assume doing night sky will be entirely different ranges.  Also with terrestrial shots one of the things I noticed is depth of field or range of focus is pretty narrow.  It will be interesting to see if that is also the case in dark sky?  I'm thinking bokeh isn't a desired  effect in AP  :-)  I'm trying to get my head around how that relates to the aperture in a telescope ??  field flattener?   some of this stuff is way beyond my pay grade  I think.  Taking the tractor over to the farm to open up the driveway...  I can handle that thought process  smile.gif  I'm betting that is going to be all bucket work...  won't be able to push the blower into it (no chains)

Mike

#3042 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

Mike, Thanks for the updates. Some of what you mentioned as far as sensor diagonal, image size, region of interest (ROI), 1x, 2X binning and the rest got a little too  intense for a relaxing time for me. That's why I suggested the daylight test runs. Sure is nicer when that thumb print you are intently studying turns out to be a familiar pine tree. Just getting use to the mechanics not messing with the theory behind it. Nice to hear you had more than a bit of progress with the new technology leaking into the Kingdom.

Grey 

• Mike96 likes this

#3043 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

well, 10:00 and still nothing but clouds..  watched Venus all the way home from grandaughters ball game in Sabattus and could see it getting lost in the clouds as it was going down.  Been checking for anything popping up just to see whether I could at least try focus on a celestial object.  Moon should be showing up tomorrow night or Wed. and come by the window at a reasonable time.  maybe get a peek...

• Greyhaven likes this

#3044 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

Well two more tee shirts for my collection.... I think I'm about six( just checked inventory actually need 10 few doubles and 1 triple tripped me up)  short of having the lower 48 covered. Welcome aboard Mississippi and Arizona.

ARK- DE-ID-NE-NJ-NC-SC-RI-VT and NH I'll get you yet.usa.gif 

Grey

mississippi2web.jpg    

Arizonaweb.jpg

• ArizonaScott and Mike96 like this

#3045 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

Which ones are you missing Grey?  Got up early this morning to see if there was anything to focus the camera on and "no joy"  I'm sure something will show up  :-)  Just got back from our weekly lunch and beer at Grittys...  I think it's nap time!

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3046 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

Which ones are you missing Grey? 

ARK- DE-ID-NE-NJ-NC-SC-RI-VT and NH I'll get you yet.

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3047 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

My cds says it will be clear after 8.,Looks pretty gray here now.,30*,calm.,no nap here,.lol.,we will see.,best to all.,

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3048 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

my bad...  setting up for tonight to try the camera and I noticed when I finished last I didn't cap the scope. I had hoped to luck out but in appears I might have gotten some sun in the objective with the camera in.  It's still responding to changes in light but things aren't as they should be.  Probably the end of my AP efforts for now.  A good lesson I guess, but painful.  I'm glad it wasn't any more expensive camera than it was.  Not my day....

#3049 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

Mike

bawling.gif

Grey

#3050 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:18 PM

Mike, I am sorry to hear that. I hope it can be repaired.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics