•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3505 replies to this topic

#3051 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

Just finished doing some visual on the moon and the scope is fine..  moon is fine too!  camera is cooked enough so I would guess it's a total.  Sure smells that way too.  I gave it some thought and decided not too lick my wounds too long.  I have a few hours invested in learning it and the software already and I likely would replace it at some point anyhow so, I ordered the replacement and it should be here Friday.  I was being very careful to stay away from any sun when I was setting it up and doing some training in daylight  :-)  Guess I will goof around with the moon a little more while it's in the window view...  Mike

• PeterGunn likes this

#3052 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

Good for you Mike.... A true Yankee.... we don't break....we bounce.jump.gif

Grey

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3053 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

Sorry to hear Mike.,I cannot count the number of things I have fried right out of the box trying to make them work with our12vt. system.,

I put Tubbs out last night and did a little mooning to start.,then had dinner.,and nodded off till midnite.,The stars were blazing so I coffeed up and was out by 12:30.,I still wasn't sure if I had the focuser set right.,the moon earlier was in an out of focus but I concluded it was the seeing .,Later the stars looks good and I looked at a few clusters.,M67 was amazing with the 13mm Nagler.,and I got some of the galaxies around Leo as well.,along with M101and a few others in UMa.I spaced out.,.forgetting M51.,and 81,.82.,lol.,I was still waking up.,

So I feel the focuser is ok.,but this scope is a beast to drive.,just feels heavy.,but it stays put and the views are good so it will stay in the line up.,Not a good scope for casually sweeping though it could help me develop more upper body strength.,cheers.,

Anyone else get out.,it was 10* and calm here.,not too bad.,

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3054 bbarer

bbarer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Casco, ME

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

Hi all real newbie here, first night with the telescope and shot this with the camera directly connected to the scope. Nikon D3300 Celestron CPC 800 edge HD 8". I am in Casco so pretty cold and have to confess I did this through the back window in my nice warm kitchen!

HkXVk46.jpg

• Greyhaven, bmurphy495, clearwaterdave and 4 others like this

#3055 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:00 PM

Hello bbarer.,welcome to CN.,an our little NE group.,That's a good moon shot.,So while I was out in 10*temp.,you were in a warm kitchen.,hmmm.,lol.,

Tubbs is still out.,I had my nap.,I can see luna.,it is calm and says 20* but it feels colder.,no excuses here.,lol.,I was excited to get Leo in my sights this morning.,it's a whole new sky at those hours.,everything has settled down.,fuzzys were jumpin out at the 10"er., cheers

#3056 bbarer

bbarer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Dave, glad to know there are some locals to chat with here. We still have a bit of snow on the ground here so I may stay in my warm kitchen for awhile and just enjoy the view to the west..

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3057 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 30 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

I just came in and the view of luna was great.,the seeing must 5/5.,I am very well satisfied that the focuser is sitting proper in Tubbs.,very cool beans.,Get out there guys.,even for a few minutes.,the moon is very clear.,best views of it in a long time for me.,I am using the Meade zoom tonite and am again really impressed with this ep.,cheers

• Greyhaven, BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3058 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

bbarer

Welcome to the Kingdom's best kept secrete . I don't have suitable windows for indoor viewing and at these temps my old heart doesn't like pushing blood through constricted veins. When it warms up a bit I'll be out in the observatory enjoying our skies. Until then I'll have to make the best of it by sharing the fine reports provided by the Princes of Maine, Kings of New England, Knights of the Realm, and Jesters to the World that find comfort in this corner of CN. Your photo was indeed a bright spot tonight. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing it.

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3059 bbarer

bbarer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Grey glad you liked the pic, it means a lot as it is my first of hopefully many more. I only have a view to the west from my window so other than Venus and the moon I haven't seen much yet. I do have a big field out back and can't wait for the snow to go and warm weather to come so I can really start using this thing.

B

#3060 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:10 AM

The sky milked in early here...by the time the moon got within reach of my viewing window it was more an “artistic” view...   didn’t even bother to point the scope at it.  Replacement cam comes today.  I’m curious how the focus will be on celestial objects.  It’s wicked critical on terrestrial with the cam, to the point I could see how a two speed focuser pinion would be good, maybe even a remote focus driver....   oh no!  Is this how the madness begins??   Yesterday I milled out a 10 inch piece of oak with a couple of small round head screws sticking out spaced so they fit in the holes of the mag wheels of the focuser knobs.  This gives me some fine tuning capability when I need it when my fingers can’t easily manage.  High tech, huh?   Mike

#3061 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

Yes.,it did haze over here as well.,I went back out at 9 and at 11 and it was not very pretty.,I can't believe how clear the moon had been eariler.,I was ready for a great night.,lol.,Tubbs is still sitting out on the deck.,lol.,

My batteries are liking all this sunshine.,cheers.,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3062 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:10 AM

I got to do a bit more mooning early Fri.4:30-5:30.,again very steady views.,I had the OS out also with the ES4.7/82.,and it was very similar to the view in tubbs w/ the zoom set at 8mm.,though tubbs showed a whisker more detail.,still.,pretty cool beans for a 5" glass.,It did haze over right after dark again.,whats with that?.,sunny all day.,then clouds after dark.,who's buyin stuff.,lol.,best to all.,

• Greyhaven and Mike96 like this

#3063 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

So there is a Celestron c80 for sale in C.Elizabeth.,It has been offered before.,and I pined over it.,I wanted a good eq mount but already had an 80mm f/11 scope.,

It is priced a bit high at $300 imo.,Now it is offered again.,same price range.,but since it was last offered I have picked up 2 eq mounts and 3 more scopes so the erge to call about this scope has waned.,though a Vixen Polaris mount is tempting.,It is a classic kit and no dought a fine set up..NO NO NO.,I keep saying.,lol.,

• BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3064 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:09 AM

You can't have them all Dave!  :-)  but, I can't help but think that would make a nice package for a grab and go or bird watching and at that price point you wouldn't be sweating moving it around or throwing it in the car.  I bet $250 cash would drive it away.  I kinda looked at how that 9.25 Celestron would fit in here...  I would have to have a place to store it that would allow me to move it easily for use though I think.  I wonder what model that mount is?    I have the replacement camera in place and my window freshly washed in case I get the chance to try a moon shot tonight with the TV.  I can easily count the needles on the top of a pine tree about 200 feet from the window on my computer monitor.  The scope is now aimed away from the window with the lens cap on..  don't need to learn that lesson twice!  Mike

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3065 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

I took a photo of the Sun at solar noon back on December 20th, and another today (February 2nd, a cross-quarter day). Here's the combined photos. I hope to do this again on the Equinox, and the Solstice.

I apologize for the crude quality, I am using GIMP to combine pictures, it's not easy to use.

Attached Thumbnails

• merged2.png

Edited by Scott123, 02 February 2020 - 04:17 PM.

• bmurphy495, clearwaterdave and PeterGunn like this

#3066 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

Thats cool Scott.,I like to watch the rising point along the ridge in my view as it moves back and forth as the seasons change.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191226_073231.jpg

• Scott123 likes this

#3067 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

Thats cool Scott.,I like to watch the rising point along the ridge in my view as it moves back and forth as the seasons change.,

The main bedroom faces East, I see the sun rise at different points along the horizon. I should do a series of photos of sunrises on various days. It certainly wakes me up early in the summer!

Edited by Scott123, 02 February 2020 - 05:31 PM.

#3068 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

I was moonin earlier with the OS.,I can see Sirius now out the window.,Miss Peg is all set.,so I am going back out to see whats up.,cheers

Edit.,it's 29* and calm.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 02 February 2020 - 07:46 PM.

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3069 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:59 AM

Was able to get a few moon shots around 11:00 in and around clouds.  By the time the clouds really cleared the moon was in the trees.  I will play with the software this morning some to see what I have.  I never got around to trying my moon filter, was just playing with frame rate and gain to manage exposure.  I am going to see what there are for YouTube videos now that I know what I don’t know.  Having to keep getting up and get the moon back in view added a little to the confusion...  fun though.    Mike

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3070 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

Mike I doubt that you will need a Moon filter. Adjusting the gain and exposure should compensate for the brightness much better than your eye can. As you move on to the planets and and also the Moon the finer details will be lost in a too bright image. Bright images are  impossible to process the detail back into once the capture is complete. Where as the dimmer image holds on to the subtle data that can be stretched into visibility.  That's the difference between a shot showing Jupiter's 2 equatorial belts and one complete with the Great Red Spot, barges and almost ghostly festoons. You want to collect data not great amounts of useless light. I'm very glad you decided to replace your camera. It was a tough enough a lesson so that would have driven lesser men into the shade. bow.gif

All is well in the Kingdom.

Grey 

#3071 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

My cds says "after midnight" maybe see stars.,the moon will be up till 1:40.,hmmm.,That seems like a long time from now.,may need another nap,.,lol.,I can't see anything now.,

I went back out last night and the moon was very bright.,lots of clouds.,not many stars.,I looked at luna a bit more an called it a night by 9.,Nice that it's not freezin.,cheers.,

• Scott123 likes this

#3072 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

I am here.,I see stars.,not too many though.,lol.,The OS is by the door.,at the ready.,I want a peek at the Virgo cluster since I braved the wee hours.,but it looks like a haze is upon us here in the kingdom.,32*and calm.,it will be nice if it clears.,

Edit.,4:25am. It did clear so I was out at 3.,there was moisture in the air.,trans was fair-poor.,I put the 13mm Nagler in the OS and went to the Leo trio for a starting point.,ngc3628 was pretty faint compared to m65+66.,From there I moved east into galaxyland.,30mins. later I had to give my eye a rest.,driving the OS is so easy I loose track of time.,I can scan so slowly back an forth it gets mezmerizing.,lol.,In for a cup.,and back out at 4 but the haze was back.,stars showing but nothing faint,,even in the ep.,It was fun while it lasted.,A taste of spring.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 04 February 2020 - 04:42 AM.

• Greyhaven likes this

#3073 bbarer

bbarer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

Cloudy all evening and night, finally gave up trying to find something around 10:30. Left the house at 0430 for work this morning and there were a million stars out!! Tonight maybe before the storms roll in?

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3074 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

Cloudy all evening and night, finally gave up trying to find something around 10:30. Left the house at 0430 for work this morning and there were a million stars out!! Tonight maybe before the storms roll in?

I woke up about 4AM and could see the stars, too! Deneb highlighting Cygnus, rising in the East. Milky Way season, Galaxy season, will soon be here.

Edited by Scott123, 04 February 2020 - 06:39 PM.

#3075 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

Just got back in.  Beautiful moon against a blue sky.  Brought out the Onesky and 13 Nagler in a hurry and it is spectacular.  I finally gave it up.   A little chilly in just a sweatshirt.  I didn’t realize a daytime (more or less) viewing could be so good.  I’m set up on the other side of the house with the refractor for my window view with the camera if that works out later.  Mike

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics