•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3606 replies to this topic

#3076 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Goofing around chasing Venus with the camera on the Televue..  My first planet attempt.  I have a lot to learn...    my apologies to Venus  :-)

Venus 3

Edited by Mike96, 05 February 2020 - 08:15 PM.

• Greyhaven, BFaucett, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#3077 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

Mike

Don't worry. A woman is never satisfied with any portrait you take of her.shrug.gif

Grey

• BFaucett, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3078 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:47 AM

Hi Grey..  I sure hope the lady appreciates what I went through to get her photo.  Quite a circus..  I’m  in a dark room of course with the scope at the window and about 6 or 7 feet from the monitor around the corner of my L shaped radio desk...  no tracking mount.  So I’m jogging back and forth in the dark between the keyboard and scope trying to get exposure and good focus at the same time having to re aim the scope constantly because the cam in prime focus isn’t exactly a big spacewalk like some of the eyepieces.  When you are trying to get a few frames shot it’s amazing how fast Venus is traveling!  Add in a degree of difficulty because I’m a bit goobered up and you have a real circus act...  .   Remember the guy on Ed Sullivan spinning plates?  Same deal..  Mike

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3079 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

I've never attempted any AP through a window, and when I have photoed birds ect I've always been disappointed with with results. I did admire the Moon in the late afternoon, The intense blue and  white & blue blue features of the face of the Moon played nicely together. A few summers ago I snapped a few shots of Venus in the early afternoon that came out.

Grey

http://cloudynights....-venus-9202015/

• Mike96 likes this

#3080 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Someone in Ellsworth has a 6" Celestron Comet Catcher for sale, $95. https://www.facebook...94430267886642/

If it was made for Halley's Comet it must be pre-1985.

#3081 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:26 AM

Mike.,your circus sounds like me using the eq mount.,lol.,

We have 4" so far.,I'm betting wet and heavy.,I haven't been out the door since it started.,I will need to fill the birdfeeder today.,the jays are just sitting looking around.,

Gonna be clear Sat. night.,6 below.,and a full moon.,I can hardly wait.,lol.,best to all.,

#3082 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:38 AM

That Venus pic is great Grey...  I never thought of Venus photo friendly under those conditions.  I know the window shooting is less than ideal..  it’s a great way to learn the mechanics and theory of the process and stay comfortable at the same time though and it keeps the juices flowing.

May start sapping next week at the farm...  crazy weather, no idea what to expect.  We probably won’t push it, maybe do 10 gallons this season and call it good.  We usually do do 20+ and it gets to be like work.  We just use it for gifts etc and some of the grandkids help on weekends to put up on their own to sell and make money.  This year is different with us putting in quite a bit of time helping our son next door recovering from the stroke.  He’s now walking some with a cane or crutch and in a few weeks he will be doing outpatient rehab in Lewiston.  Onward and upward...  Mike

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3083 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

I think you're following my advice on working the system and getting familiar with the general processes before actually doing it in the dark and cold. The only issue with photographing Venus during the day is it never gets more than 20° from the Sun. I know you and the Sun had an issue recently , so you could be Sun shy... understandable. That is a  big benefit of tracking and goto mounts. I've seen copies of a photo of Lincoln's inauguration where Venus is visible even with 1860's technology,so no reason we can't do it. 

I've just started to prepare for a 2 week trip I'm planning this fall. I decided I need a working knowledge of Spanish. I haven't taken a language course since Jr.High ( it was so long ago that middle school only existed in the Shire) and then the course  was Latin, taught by a native speaker. My youngest son is getting married and Lady Elaine and I are planning a trip to attend. It's taking place in warm tropical Cuba not that far from Guantanamo Bay. I'm planning on bringing my camera and trying to get a shot of Jack Nicholson from the other side of the fence. I may need the language to avoid jail time.

I'm curious as to how many new objects I can see along the southern horizon, From my Maine perch I'm lucky to see Sagittarius other than the tea pot. I'll have to insert the position in Cuba into  Starry Night  and have it preview the southern sky from the Cider House Southern Annex. Could be a whole new astro world for this Príncipe de Maine, rey de Nueva Inglaterra y bufón para el mundo.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3084 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

Mike, if you are going to be in the rehab lab with him say Hi to Pam and Heidi for me, two of the Lab Nurses that operate the lab. Oh, when they pull the whip off the wall and crack it... it's mostly for show....mostly.

Grey

#3085 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

My youngest son is getting married and Lady Elaine and I are planning a trip to attend. It's taking place in warm tropical Cuba not that far from Guantanamo Bay. I'm planning on bringing my camera and trying to get a shot of Jack Nicholson from the other side of the fence. I may need the language to avoid jail time.

I'm curious as to how many new objects I can see along the southern horizon, From my Maine perch I'm lucky to see Sagittarius other than the tea pot. I'll have to insert the position in Cuba into  Starry Night  and have it preview the southern sky from the Cider House Southern Annex. Could be a whole new astro world for this Príncipe de Maine, rey de Nueva Inglaterra y bufón para el mundo.

Grey

Sweet! I've heard (but never seen) that tropical sunsets and sunrises are very sudden, that would be a treat to see, too.

#3086 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:19 AM

Slept right through some good Luna ops last night I think...  it’s working it’s way at a bad angle for my window anyway.  Yup Grey,  you caught me on doing my learning in comfort. .   I even can spin some YouTube videos as I go. 

if you get in a jam, I could carry some camera gear for you on your trip to Cuba...  never been there.  Skirted by a couple of times on a cruise but never landed.   Latin, huh?  Got four years of that under my belt in high school.  Three of us made it all the way.  Year four was just pretty much reading Caesars works in original script.  I think the only reason I made the whole four years was the teacher.  He was a cool 86 y.o. Retired professor (and car guy).  He’s the reason I have my model A truck.  He had one he had bought brand new and I got to use it a few times doing yard work for him.  My two classmates that made the four years too, one is a college prof himself and the other is an attorney.   Me...   telephone man .  The Latin did help me at times with conversing on the radio...  could hack my way a little in Spanish and Portuguese if they would slow the heck down.

remember how to conjugate Lain verbs?  Here’s one “spito  spitare achtui  splatus”. (To spit)  I was good at coming up with those..   probably the only reason I passed, comic relief..   Mike

• PeterGunn likes this

#3087 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

Well Mike I guess all Latin teachers aren't equal. Your experience was so different than mine. I only had one year of Latin. My first teacher was taken out of our class in hand cuffs after a few weeks by 2 police officers  under arrest for forging checks. We never saw her again.... The rest of that quarter and the next 2 quarters were a blur of substitutes most there for less than a week and all started their first day in class saying " I know  NOTHING about Latin.... and I have no intention to try to teach it now..so sit there and treat this as a study hall."  I already had enough study halls so I got together with my friend Hilliadore ( we called him Sonny) and on our own started our independent Latin studies. We may have gone a little astray due to our limited exposure to the Mother of all languages.Sonny and I spent hours conjugating Latin Nouns.... I farmer, you farmer, he ,she or it farmers.. Luckily the last quarter a Latin teacher was shanghaied and she attempted to salvage the year. We were beyond redemption though. We were all given a C for the course and urged not to advance to Latin II. Life in the Kingdom has its moments.  

Grey

• ArizonaScott likes this

#3088 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

My window seat failed me tonight.  I was all set to do a little visual and then play with camera again.  I popped off the storm panel and the glass fogged immediately.  It's only 3* out and evidently plenty of moisture in here. I wiped it off a couple of times and no joy...  popped the storm back in and doing something else. 

Yea Grey... my teacher was just doing this because he believed the school wasn't complete without offering Latin.  Dr. Bonney had retired in town a bunch of years earlier and just came back to Leavitt for teaching this one class.  He started out life teaching math at Middlebury College and then came back to Maine and started USM (about the time he bought his Model A).  worked his way up the food chain in UM from there. they have Luther Bonney this and thats all over campus.  Nice guy..  if you can teach Latin I guess you can teach anything...For a language that has some basic logical structure to it to go off on some obscure tangents didn't really make sense some times.  I think I've pretty much forgotten most of it by now, although something pops out now and then watching Jeopardy..guess I will see whats on the radio....   Mike   carpe diem

• Greyhaven likes this

#3089 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

Pretty chilly out there.,I am enjoying the view from my recliner.,I got half the deck cleared.,none of the scopes wanted to go out tonight.,stay warm.,

Edit.,we had 3 below this morning,,everything has an ice coating.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200209_070732.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 09 February 2020 - 07:56 AM.

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3090 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

Someone (on Facebook) in Falmouth has an 8” Celestron telescope. Dates from the 1980’s. $50. "Low price because it needs to be sent to Celestron for a certified cleaning." Yikes! It's possibly got fungus on the corrector plate or primary. If it was close by, I might take a look.

A slow ride to work this morning, I started extra early, and got here on time. Maybe clear Wednesday?

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3091 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:53 PM

My son had 17 below in Freeman the other morning.,we had -3.,we are at 35 now with light snow.,.My neighbors are ready to tap.,I still have 4+cords of wood.,I'm laughin.,I know it will get cold again but I feel like we are close to the hump cold temp wise.,Snow fall is still anyone's guess.,JD stands ready.,

Edited by clearwaterdave, 11 February 2020 - 01:56 PM.

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3092 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

We got down to -13 probably that same night..  being down on the river the cold settles right in here.  That is the coldest it has been here all winter I think!  We've seen -34 here with lots of -20+'s but not recently.  Something is changing..  whatever it is, the wood pile is certainly liking it.  Got a little mooning in this morning, slight bit of haze but pretty.  I guess you could call it more of an artistic view than scientific... clouded in quick though.  Oh well...  Maybe some clearing this weekend when it gets cold?  Selling a few underused woodworking tools off to gain room in the garage resulting in a side benefit of some "toy funds"...  burning a hole in my pocket.  Thinking more of radio stuff...  radio is a more bad weather hobby so theoretically if I spend money on that it will create more good weather??

I'm tapping trees next week Dave..  get the other side of this next cold snap and it's due to cut loose.  I put in a couple of test taps here at the house about 10 days ago and they only really ran fair for a couple of days.  We only tap about 20 trees at the farm.  They are all big old maples that are right around the edge of the main field.  They all support at least 2 taps and a bunch of them we do three.  It's plenty for us, only have a 2x4 evaporator so much more would make for some long days.  The 2x4 we have will only do about 12 gal per hour of sap and that is if you really push it.  This summer when we had the loggers in over there I only had them take pines and oak off a small hillside on one side of the field which left a dozen of so good sized rock /sugar maples with an easy downhill run for doing tube collection.  Thats tempting to do, but I am guessing that would put me way over my limit of what I can boil reasonably.  Sometimes I think it was more fun when we were just tapping a few trees here at the house and boiling in a pan over a block fire pit.  My body doesn't like lugging 5 gallon buckets of sap anymore.  I can pretty much drive to the trees to gather with the sled and then right to the door of the sap shack so its not too bad...  took last year off so syrup shelf is getting empty!

• ArizonaScott and clearwaterdave like this

#3093 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

When I started burning more wood to make syrup than I was burning to keep warm I had to stop.,lol.,I only had a 24"×24"pan on a barrelstove.,outside under the stars.,The best part of the whole operation.,was at the end of the night.,the syrup filtered.,the fire dying.,all is dark and quiet.,I would have my pan.,tilted against the stove legs.,and there would be a really good few fingers of thick syrup in the corner of the pan.,that was all mine.,waytogo.gif 

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3094 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

as soon as I read that Dave that flavor sensation hit me.. pretty intense especially if it is late season syrup that has the extra bit of bite to it.  I also enjoy a bit of Crown Royal Maple at the end of a boil.  I tend to keep some of that at the shack for emergencies and extreme cold  :-)

Edited by Mike96, 13 February 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3095 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

I got a nice padded dufflebag for the AT102.,It fits with the diagonal on.,I made a flat bottom inside by wrapping thick cardboard in a towel.,then I set the foam scope pieces in.,Since getting the Orion120 the scope box was getting cluttered with the 102 sitting on top of the other two refractors.,Now it is placed on top of the others in it's bag.,much better..

#3096 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

I got a nice padded dufflebag for the AT102.,It fits with the diagonal on.,I made a flat bottom inside by wrapping thick cardboard in a towel.,then I set the foam scope pieces in.,Since getting the Orion120 the scope box was getting cluttered with the 102 sitting on top of the other two refractors.,Now it is placed on top of the others in it's bag.,much better..

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200214_093403.jpg
  • 20200214_093428.jpg
  • 20200214_095319.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#3097 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

Dave, Great solution to your problemwaytogo.gif.  Quite a savings from what one of those designer bags the telescope shops offer.

Been playing in the body shop off and on the last few days.... I wanted to get some primer on the 3100 so I could start taping for he 1st color. Had it all primed and waited 2 days before taping on it and the tape was pulling the primer off as I re-positioned it so had to strip it back to metal and start over.  Two days later I was able to tape and get the first color on with no peeling issues. Now at least by Sunday I should be able to get the second color on it . I added a few shots, HERE, to the Cider House Body Shop Album here to show my progress.

Grey

#3098 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Had to pick up some nitro pills an hour ago and the sky was spectacular, black velvet with diamonds. At 4° the sky can't hold on to enough moisture to form a cloud, but at 4° I'll just nod my head in appreciation thank you. I hope all of your astro windows are clean and ready for you to enjoy the view. Grey 

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3099 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Well the '53 chev is two tone now. Still a long ways from  finished.I'll clear coat it in the next couple of days and then get the interior done plus casting  two new parts to replace items on the original that were missing. I've never cast parts in resin before should be fun.Here are some two tone photos.

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3100 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

I got the Onesky collimated yesterday around 4pm..,That was as far as the OS got.,It was 0* by 6:30 so after Miss Peg was all set., me and the 8x42 bino enjoyed the view from the recliner.,plenty to see around CMa. 

This morning the moon was orange for a bit as it rose.,I got just a glimpse as I stoked the fire.,It never went below 0* here.,so it wasn't too bad.,they had -15* in town.,

Looking a little hazy now.,time to get the fire going..Peg is calling for soup.,let the games begin.,lol.,

Edit.,Very sharp Gray.,

PS.,The scope bag is Neewer brand,.it seems well made.,$30 at Amazon.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200209_070732.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 15 February 2020 - 04:03 PM.

• Mike96 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics