•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3606 replies to this topic

#3101 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:55 AM

Hey Grey...  I am likin the two tone.  Makes it a whole different truck.  While I was looking at the pics it really popped into my mind where a friends Chevy SSR got it's roots! The grills are pretty much the same. He two toned that too.  It was all silver and looked kind of chunky.  He did the hood, roof and deck in black and it made it look a lot sleeker.  Those were supposed to be an instant classic but they just never grabbed much attention or value.

yesterday morning it almost made -18 here   17.8 on one side of the house and 17.9 on the other.  Looks like we won't see a -20 this winter.  I was all geared up for some morning moon pics this morning and all clouded in..  oh well.  Headed over to the farm to see if I can still drive in without having to take the tractor over and punch a hole through.  Looking at the forecast I guess I will tap next weekend...

• Greyhaven and clearwaterdave like this

#3102 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:23 AM

Mike,

I had to google "chevy SSR" I've been out of the auto parts industry so long it didn't ring a bell.foreheadslap.gif is 

My son says he going to drop off another 1/24th model later this month. Just can't seem to get excited about it though... The Bandit trans AM.... maybe once it gets here.... I know it won't look Bandit"ish" when I'm done. Maybe something using one of the newer " Chameleon" color shifting paints will get the "Smoke" out of my mind.  I'm glad you've enjoyed the trip so far.waytogo.gif

Grey

#3103 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:40 AM

My brother was a body painter.,he did that chameleon paint on an early 70's cuda.,very cool.,It looked pearly white till it moved.,or you walked by.,then it rainbowed different colors.,

Got a few single numbers in the forcast coming up.,maybe some clear skies to go with them.,

• Greyhaven and Mike96 like this

#3104 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

A good customer of mine, back in my paint and body shop supplies salesman days, had a customer that wanted to do his Harley in chameleon. Back then. Norm got $3500. to do the job. Customer loved the look, and rode away smiling. He returned a few days later and his smile was nowhere to be found. Norm, its not your fault . I'll pay you to redo the Hog. I was riding along the other day admiring the shimmering blue/green color on my tank when all of a sudden it turned a fairy pink. I can't have the guys see me riding on a fairy pink Hog!  Norm redid the bike in a less scary but beautiful dark blue candy with ghost flames.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3105 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

Grey, I bet I know the guy you are talking about..  Long time L/A car guy and one of the best guns around.  Always had a waiting list for his paint.  Norm Long?  Norm raced over at the Oxford drag strip forever and was also the starter.lots of nights.  I used to play over there occasionally, nothing serious.  I was over there one night doing just test and tune with my Grand National and decided to do the bracket race and being a cool night my car was running pretty fast and consistent (which is not something turbo cars are known for)  I ended up in the final with Norm with his 440 Coronet.  We were both about the same dial in time so it was going to be a good race.  We lined up and headed down the track and my car was really running well and I had Norm by a length at least  as we got down to the far end.  I knew I should let off so not to "break out" on my dial in, I think it I had done a 7.8 sec..  but I didn't cuz it felt so good.  Long story short, I did beat my time by a tenth or so and so Norm won.  He asked me after why I didn't lift when I had him beat and I told him I just couldn't.  He was a cagey racer.  He knew exactly what his car would do and he had the experience.  It was fun to say I beat his car down the track though.  That must have been back around mid to late 90's.  I went through a Turbo Buick phase for a few years, loved them sinister black Grand Nationals.

• Greyhaven likes this

#3106 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

Yes, you got him. I almost can't remember when I didn't know Norm. He was a pleasure to deal with. Always came away knowing more after visiting him in his small shop. I finally had a chance to repay him for his friendship when I was given a four day pass to the New Hampshire Speedway. The pass included food and drinks, infield passes, pre lims. time trials and privileges to visit the pit area and meet the drivers and pit crews +++++. I would just as soon watch paint dry as to watch circle burners, so I was glad to know someone like Norm to give them to. Old Norm even got to ride in the pace car. When he returned from the races he was like a kid coming back from Orlando. I had the opportunity   to pass on at least 4 sets of these passes over the years; all were appreciated by the people who used them , but none gave me the glad to have done it feeling like Norm did.  I also had to learn not to get him going on the drags, unless I made him the last stop of the day... Then Dot would come out of the house at 5 and throw me out and haul him in for supper. All that was more than 20 years and another lifetime ago. Fun to remember.

Grey

#3107 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:52 AM

I had a chance to spend some more time with the cmos camera vs Venus last night.  I tried quite a few different methods and couldn’t get any better results than before.  I think shooting with no tracking through a window might be a little too much of a challenge.  I pulled the cam and went visual before Venus got too low and I didn’t get great results either.  Sky was pretty clear but “twinkleage” was enough I was having trouble resolving a shape that way either.  Later on Orion was coming around to window range and I played with the cam again just to see what it could do with stars even though I knew it wasn’t what it was designed to do.  With a little bit of fiddling I was able to get a few of the brighter stars to drift across the screen, or jump as I had the frame rate lower and lower.   I guess if AP was easy or cheap everyone would be doing it....  :-). Fun to learn more about what it takes to do but so far it doesn’t compare to that feeling of wonder seeing these things in the eyepiece while my old eyes still work well enough.  I can see myself setting up this spring with a scope on a decent mount and trying some real AP but also having a visual set up to play with while that is happening.   I think it was Dave that suggested to me an old camper at the farm and I have been thinking that would be a workable solution.  After the choppers left last summer I did a big crushed gravel parking area where one of the pole barns used to be.  Original intent was to build a garage there this spring but I’m feeling less inclined to doing something that major.  Hmmmm?

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3108 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

I have a feeling that the window and no tracking mount are conspiring against you. The ooos and ahhs of AP come with the revealing of the delicate planetary details,  be they the ghostly festoons in Jupiter's atmosphere, Venus' hazy shroud blending into the black of space or Mars' hidden details. I doubt if anyone has done a study showing the ratio of mm of plate glass to feet of atmosphere. The farm seems like the choice location for you and a camper would give you a welcomed warm bug free sanctuary.  Thanks for the report Mike.

Grey

#3109 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:54 AM

The Moon woke me up early on Valentine's Day, so I took a photo of it. (Actually a video I rendered into frames using PIPP, then stacked in AutoStakkert. I took the video from inside, so I had several panes of glass, local thermals, plus the atmosphere working against me.

I used Live View, and zoomed in, but focus eluded me.

DSC_0021_lapl4_ap313_conv2-1-3.png

Edited by Scott123, 17 February 2020 - 10:21 AM.

• clearwaterdave, BFaucett and Mike96 like this

#3110 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Nice catch Scott.waytogo.gif  I don't think live view or focusing  on your part could have nailed the focus. Its' quite good I'll bet if you had been out in nature, not to be confused  with " au natural  " the photo would easily have caught the straight wall and I'm sure Clavius' chain of craters  would have graced your image. The land marks are all there just a few panes of glass too many for the crispness you're shooting for. Thanks for sharing.

Grey

• Scott123 likes this

#3111 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

Well I'll be off to Westbrook this early evening to meet my son's plane he just spent 2 weeks in sunny Cuba with his wife to be.

Grey

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3112 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Looks great Scott.  Under better outside conditions you could be dangerous!   I know the window shooting/viewing is a little silly but it passes the time and it sure is comfortable huh?  Mike

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3113 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

Hey Grey..  Is his fiance a native or work at Gitmo?

#3114 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

I have the 120 mounted on Frank.,and it looks like it may be ok tonight.,cds says the seeing will be improving after 9.,this would be good.,The temps hopfully will not drop too much till I have had my fun and am back inside warm with cocoa.,

I'm ready so early I may even make a list.,

So today I dropped my tablet for the 1000th time.,this time from waist high.,The thing will not die.,I can not believe something electronic can take such abuse.,

It's a Samsung Galaxy 7".,that I bought in Aug.2012.,and have been thinking of replacing it because the browser is lacking and some web pages don't play well.,but the darn thing keeps working.,

I have a 10"RCA 2in1 type tablet that is more updated but I like this size more.,and now they are $100 less than in 2012.,lol Is it to late to buy christmas presents for myself?.,

#3115 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:39 PM

Mike she's a native. Her brother worked for my son as a co driver for a while and he introduced them. She works as a Dentist in Cuba.

Grey

#3116 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

Dave...  I think you are right on time.  I can tell you the new Samsung tablet there's nothing slow going on.  My daughter in law has  the Tab and the thing is like lightning quick and battery life is crazy.  If I wasn't so ingrained into Apple OS I think I would prefer it to my Ipad.

Grey...  just curious.  I had a long time friend from Moron (we had some fun with that) in the middle of the island.  We met in high school on the ham radio and talked usually at least weekly till he passed away a few years ago. He was a car guy too.. We always wanted to get together and meet in person, but for a lot of years is wasn't possible and then in recent years as things have eased up we didn't ever get around to it.  Last plan was to meet in Montreal for a weekend that we never got scheduled.  guy sounded so much like Ricky Ricardo I always called him Ricky..  kinda stuck.  His wife even started calling him that too.

• Greyhaven and clearwaterdave like this

#3117 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

I have an old 10" RCA tablet with removable keyboard that has been kicking around for years, originally got it for my grand daughter to use when she was 5yo she's 14 now. I use it in the Cider House as my atlas and internet when I'm there. I think I paid about $100. it at Wally World for it then. Its been completely trouble free.

Grey

#3118 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

Mike, she is from Holguin 60 miles NW of Gitmo. It seems to be a popular spot with the Canadians looking for a winter sunburn. Actually my son says if you"re asked if you are American just say Yo un Canadian and smile, they will smile back. Travel in and out of Cuba is a little difficult under Presidente Trump. USA citizens can only fly into and out of Havana That's is 6hr drive from Holguin which has an international airport but it is closed to us  and I don't think the anti Cuban sanctions will end there. Now Grey, politics have no place on CN so keep it to yourself.

Grey

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3119 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

That's what I have from the mart.,I have SkySafari 5 plus and pro on it.,I like it for use with those inside when I'm daydreaming.,but I like the Samsung at the ep.,and it's not to far of a drop when I'm sitting.,lol.,But ya.,a new one.,,$159 at the mart.,add SS6 pro and I'm good to go.,I already tried to buy another Samsung but the w-mart computer wouldn't release it or something.,this was before x-mas.,time to try again.,

I hear ya Gray.,I am listening to The Imperial Cruise, by James Bradley.,.,the whiteman's rules.,scary.,

Hey who's gettin up for the occulting of Mars.,be there or.,a little after 7am. tomorrow.,and then there will be snow.,

The temp is dropping.,27now.,where's my coffee.,

#3120 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

I used my 130mm scope in tandem with my DSLR and a Barlow lens. I may move up the primary mirror - it looks like all the parts I need are at the hardware store - and use the scope as an astrograph.

It was bitter cold outside, so I was glad to be inside! Once Spring gets here, I'll set up my GoTo mount, and use the refractor.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3121 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Scott, will you set up the go to mount on your pier?   I’m interested to see what you do for a base mount on the pier to adapt for some of the different manuf mounts.

Grey, Ricky told me to stock up on Canadian t shirts and baseball hats and we would be all set.  Moron was known for sugar, cheaper cigars and Canadians.  Another ham I talked to quite a bit lived on a sailboat on the north shore with bunches of other US folks doing the winter Caribbean loop.  They loved the Cuban folks.  Usual problem, the people are cool, politics and those folks muck it up.  That’s as political as I get till some day in November.   Mike

• Greyhaven likes this

#3122 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Scott, will you set up the go to mount on your pier?   I’m interested to see what you do for a base mount on the pier to adapt for some of the different manuf mounts.

Hi Mike, I had a local machinist mill out a mounting plate for me. He took dimensions off the Atlas mount, then created a new plate for me. So it's only good for the Atlas, sadly. If I ever get a different mount I can get a new one with adapter plate from Dan's plates.

I have rings or dovetails for most of my scopes, so I'm all set that way.

• Mike96 likes this

#3123 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

I had an interesting night.,out from 8-9.,not to bad.,not to cold..,getting used to looking through the ep at stars.,I used the Baader zoom and checked out some tight open clusters.,zooming in on them is a treat.,they showed best at 12mm setting,.so 83x.,

I went in for a warm up and next thing I knew it was 11:07.,the fire was out and it was getting a little chilly in the house.,I had laid down dressed for outside and nodded off.,lol.,So.,get the fire goin.,check Miss Peg.,make more coffee.,and then back out., 

Well it's midnite now and the Virgo cluster is just getting past the Spruce  trees.,I had put the ES,24/82,pineapple in and scanning the cluster was good.,Then,,about 2 it all of a sudden got better.,the galaxies just started jumping out.,the seeing and trans must have both come clean for a few minutes because little fuzzies were all over the place.,I have only once seen it get this good.,After 20 minutes of eye strainin I took a break and when I went back out at 3 to compare another ep to the 24.,there was a haze in the air all over.,just the brighest stars showing.,so I called it a night.,and a good one indeed.,coldest it got was 7-8* at 3am.,and the haze is thicker now.,so no occult viewing.,

I am so glad I set up early or I may have wained.,now I get to draw a star on my calander to mark another night out.,

No list was ever made.,lol.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200218_082250.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3124 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:52 AM

Pleasant surprise early last night...  even with the CDS poor seeing forecast and the obvious wind I had a good visit with the eyepieces and was surprised at how stable things were.  I even got to run some fairly high power with Venus for some of the sharpest visual I had yet seen.  I did a second session around 11:30 and spent quite a bit of time with Orion and it’s neighbors.    
-7 this morning and still -3.  Need a little sun and breeze to scrub out this cold.  Mike

anyone else noticing more satellites?  While watching Venus and Serena sky early I kept having them going by.  Must be a PITA for AP?

Edited by Mike96, 20 February 2020 - 07:55 AM.

#3125 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

Don’t know where Serena came from?  Thought I typed something else. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics