•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3505 replies to this topic

#3151 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

So I hearded everyone out onto the porch for a family portrait.,try getting a group to all look at the same thing.,lol.,

There is nothing fancy but they are a lot of fun.,cheers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200225_150351.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#3152 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Nice collection! It's a great obsession.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3153 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

if you gotta have a bad habit, thats a great one

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3154 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:19 AM

HaHa.,Vodka for breakfast is a bad habit.,2 packs a day is another.,Collecting cheap scopes is silly at best.,lol.,

Looks like wet an heavy is on the menu.,my path is muddy on top.,this should be fun.,brown snow blown all over the yard.,might be worth a photo.,lol.,best2al

• Mike96 likes this

#3155 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

I'm not looking forward to this storm...It's going to be a mess.

Lady Elaine is scheduled for her surgery Monday. She has been getting ready for more than six months. Bariatric surgery and the associated life style changes will keep us busy for a while. My youngest son had the surgery 2 years ago and he is doing great. he didn't have any insurance so he shopped around and ended up in Mexico. His operation, including his air fare, cost about the same as we will  pay in co pays and deductibles. Go figure. He has lost about 140lbs and has had no complications following surgery. I've managed to drop about 50lbs since I was hospitalized last March and figure with the diet changes for the Lady I may be dropping a few more as many of my favorite foods will disappear from our shelves. wish us luck.

Stay safe in the upcoming meteorological event. 

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3156 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Hey Grey...  best wishes on your busy next week.  She should be rocking by summer!  Going to be a lot of "mudslinging" tomorrow and I don't mean the political kind..  should be a banner day for shear pins and relocating some of the driveway onto the lawn for many of us.  Mike

#3157 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

I will wait till Fri. I lowered the skids on the blower.,I wish they went down another inch.,The deck looks better than it has all winter.,all clean and the mats all lined up around Frank.,hopfully easy to clear,.

I decided with all the clouds that it was a good time to order a nice new eyepiece.,I have heard a lot about the 17.5mm Baader Morpheus and one is on it's way from Agena.,Happy Leap Year to me.,If it doesn't clear till the full moon you can throw snowballs at me., I'd stand sideways to you.,you'd have a 5"×5'10" target.,lol.,

Be safe out there.,Best to you and the Miss Gray.,

• Mike96 likes this

#3158 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:57 AM

Woo hoo!  Up this morning to heavy rain!  If this lasts the morning I will not have lost the 4 hours of progress I made a couple of days ago opening up the farm driveway for sapping.  I had 400+ feet done and only a couple hundred left to go to the barn/sap shack.  It was hard going for the tractor, no chains and ice underneath and uphill all the way,  I’m going to ride over and see what it looks like now to have a good comparison for later.  This time of year I prefer the liquid precip.

pulp truck traffic way off this morning..  towns must be posting roads?

just looked up that Badger...  sounds sweet Dave.

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3159 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

Waking up to a spring rain storm instead of a fresh layer of white mud... I can take it. Mike that's a lot of road to clear... up hill, both ways. I hope Dave's increase in elevation didn't treat him too bad. Now to see how this storm plays out. 38° out at the Cider House right now, so looking good.  My neighbor is taping his maple tree now. He only has 1 tree. a strapping 12" to14" diameter specimen of sap factory he has tapped for the last few years. I think in another few years he'll have to invest in a second tap and bucket and consider going pro.

Grey

#3160 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:44 AM

I wish I'd had my camera yesterday. Drove past another neighbors house, he had decorated for the holidays with eight or ten larger than life inflatable figures, Santa , elves  gnomes and reindeer  along the side of the road. I had pretty much forgotten about them after they were deflated  in early January and sank under the snow. The last few warm days have exposed what looks like a Steven King horror story. Twisted bodies with arms, legs. necks and barely recognizable heads laying in their last moments of agony partly covered  with dirt like they were caught crawling from their graves. A real HO! HO! Horror diorama. Wish I"d had my camera.

Grey

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3161 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

We are at 34* and have a mixed bag falling from the sky.,I got up at 3 and nothing was happening then.,They posted the roads here.,My neighbor was back an forth all day yesterday hauling sap.,but no pulp trucks.,Looks like a good " pot o soup " day.,see what ya got.,throw it in a pot.,put it on the woodstove an let it simmer for the day.,best to all.,

PS.,we have a flock of Jays that have decided they like our offerings.,there was a bunch of them here the other day.,they have been going through a quart of feed a day.,lol.,

Edit.,I just looked at our forecast and it says 6"-10".,this is up from 4"-8" posted last night.,glad I don't have any job interviews.,lol.,

Edit#2  I just looked at the forecast again and now it says daytime accumulations 3-5".,,are we supposed to flip a coin here or what.,.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200114_123213.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 27 February 2020 - 09:23 AM.

• BFaucett, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3162 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Played in the Cider House Body Shop on this rainy day. Did some work on the interior and some more re assembly interested?

Grey

#3163 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:51 PM

It looks like 6" here.,28*,.I haven't stepped out yet.,lol.,I can see Sirius.,not much else.,I can hear the wind blustering.,

After seeing my deck all clear and neat looking it has been making me antzy to get out.,but the temps are still a factor and the snow is still holdin it's own.,pre mud season blues.,.

The early birdies did better today.,,the later ones had to dig.,

Nice job Gray.,makes me want to dig out my fly tying kit.,we should put together a list of good mud season hobbies.,cheers.,

#3164 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:56 AM

1 inch of slush here that isn’t so slushy this morning.  Luckily we scraped up the slush on the walkways etc and will see some thawing today.  Pretty gusty on the back of the front.  Around 8:00 I got in some casual viewing from my window of a nice moon with Venus by it.

Truck is looking fine Grey...  fallback hobbies in Maine are a must given our seasonal extremes.

#3165 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:03 PM

The Morfy arrived safe an sound.,I think I like it.,Nice big eye lens.,and the 1.25/2" body.,very handy.,The Bluejay's looked amazing.,lol.,I was going to have a look at the moon but I fell asleep.,cheers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200229_171140.jpg
  • 20200229_170655.jpg

• Greyhaven, BFaucett and Mike96 like this

#3166 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

My it seems to be quite a window into the night sky! I hope its performance pleases you.

Be warm this chilly morning.

Grey

#3167 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Gotta say it Dave....somebody is bound to.     you’ll be gazing in wide wonder cuz that eyepiece is “Baad to the bone”

read the reviews on it and pretty impressive, should be a great cruising piece.  All the tech stuff sounded good but what stuck out to me that they all talked about how comfortable it was to use and easy on the eye.  That goes a long way with me and how I view.

it’s wicked good sliding here since the storm, not so much walking.  Creeper city... walked down to check the river yesterday and was on my butt twice before I got back.    Mike

Edited by Mike96, 01 March 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#3168 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

Ice is a challenge for us seniors. Last ice storm I slipped and fell on my butt, whacked my elbow real hard. Don't ask where my thumb was at the time.

Grey

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3169 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

You made me chuckle on that one Grey.  after the stroke I used to calm my wife when I would take a digger, tell her I was clumsy, not fragile.  I think not so much the case anymore.  I did the both elbow/butt thing a couple of years ago.  Fractured the tip of both elbows.  I was sore for a long time, no surgery though.  This Bumble doesn’t bounce so well anymore!  Looks like maybe a Onesky in the driveway tonight...

• Greyhaven and clearwaterdave like this

#3170 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

I only got half the deck cleared.,now the other half is a nice block of snow ice.,still.,the clear half is useable.,plenty of room for the Onesky or dobs.,gonna be chilly and calm out there tonite.,cds says poor seeing till after midnite.,w/fair trans all night long.,I will try for a few short peeks.,

We are mostly clouds now.,29*.drippin on the south side so some radiant heat out there.,

Stay warm out there Mike.,I will most likely do the OS as well.,With the Morfy it will be 2*fov and 37x.,should be fun.,

Gray.,drive safe.,be well.,   best to all.,

• Mike96 likes this

#3171 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

I spent a few minutes outside this evening, moon-gazing. The thermometer said one temperature, my hands felt a different one, so I went back inside. I did manage to take a picture of the Moon, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/100th of a second.

The image seems a little harsh, I'll work on post-processing. (As we all know, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0072_00001-2.jpg

Edited by Scott123, 01 March 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#3172 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

There is a post on Craigslist for a Telescope Lens/Mirror Polishing Machine - $2900 in White River, VT. I wonder if it had any association with Stellafane? They're only about an hour's drive apart.

Edited by Scott123, 01 March 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#3173 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

Nice shot Scott. You managed to almost catch the elusive Lunar X. The bottom legs are visible and the top two are probably  visible by now. The craters Playfair and Alpianus are the easiest land marks for me to spot its appearance along the lower 1/3 of the terminator. waytogo.gif

Grey

#3174 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

I got out for a few peeks at the moon early.,I had the OS and the 102ed.,The OS got the morf.,the 102 got the ES18/82.,The OS stole the show.,I could see more little craterettes with the OS.,and the morf is much more user friendly to look through.,even with the morf in the 102 the OS still showed more.,102ed vs 130mirror.,130 the clear winner.,.Later.,I had a look at the beehive and Orion's neb.,and later still the Leo groups and a cruise down galaxy alley.,The trans was lacking so they were not popping out at me.,but I still got a few.,I came in at 1:45 and stoked the fire and was out like a light in minutes.,lol.,A nice first of March.,cheers 

• BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3175 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

Sitting n the waiting room for sameday surgery.Lady Elaine is in recovery at 4pm . The Doc has been out to talk to me and the Lady did well. Doesn't appear to be any complacations and if all goes as planned she'll be home on the morrow. The veiwfom this window is centered on a streetlight maybe a hundred feet away at eye level , even Dave would not bother to set up a scope in front of this window. 

Got to go the Lady is outnof recovery in inher room.

Grey

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics