•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3626 replies to this topic

#3176 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

Best to you both Gray.,

I got no problem with streelights.,closest one is 3mi. away.,waytogo.gif

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3177 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

37* at 1:40.,I would say mud season has offically begun.,our road is posted.,they have moved my son up north where the ground is still froze.,It is always amazing seeing how fast the snow melts here on the southside of the hill.,There are a dozen old foundations along our road.,the old timers were very aware of the advantage's of the southside.,  Not seeing any good nights in the near forecast.,And who's fault is this you may say

lol.,

Been going through stuff.,trying this here and that there.,I put a short rail on the st80 and put it lookin at the birds.,It was my solar scope so now I need another vixen clamp to mount it on it's old set up.,this I can make.,Too much fun.,

With todays temps I will attempt the snow ice on the deck.,Shoveling snow is right up near the top of the list for causing heartattacks in white males.,hummm.,If JD fit through the door.,I'd drive it right through the house to clear the deck.,lol.,Miss Peg would be laughin.,or not.,cheers.,

• Greyhaven likes this

#3178 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:11 AM

You were up early Dave...  I hear you on the tractor use.  I find the easier way is usually best way nowadays,   I’m taking the tractor to the farm this afternoon to see if I can finish opening the driveway over there.  We understand on the weather.  We’ve all been responsible for some lately.  It will be worth it to hear your review on the Baader.

Grey...  hoping to hear today that you folks are home and happy!

• Greyhaven likes this

#3179 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

I will say more later but after one night I can say it is very easy to look through without beaning.,and I didn't see any fishy lookin stars lurking around the edge of the fov.,It also gave a nice immersive feel.,their zoom is the same.,much less of the flat view feeling.,The background sky was iffy the other night so it will be interesting to use it with better skies.,

Overall it's nice.,compact and not too heavy.,cheers

• BFaucett likes this

#3180 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:56 AM

Yes, I can hear Miss Peg now " Dave, How did you get the JD out on the deck?" and you matter of factly  replying " Simple I made a hard left coming out of the kitchen."

Grey

• Mike96 likes this

#3181 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

Well, we've been home for over an hour. Lady Elaine is doing very well. She actually walked from her room in the old section of CMMC to the car parked near the new Hospital entrance and only had to stop twice for me to catch my breath. She has to use protein powers mixed with clear liquids for a couple of weeks and even those in unbelievably small amounts but she seems to be very motivated to make this work. Thanks for the encouragement you all have given us.

Grey

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3182 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

So.,Not being able to leave well enough alone.,I decided the 80mm,f/11 needed to be able to go on other mounts and not just it's own,so I screwed a rail onto the side of it.,rings??what rings.,lol.,Now it can ride on any of the vixen clamp mounts.,wala.,not too painful.,took all of 5 minutes.,

I need to buy or make another clamp and then it can sit on it's own pipes an tripod where it has been happy for years.,

Just remembered I have a nice clamp set up that I used for the 102's.,lol.,Nice not freezin out in the porch when I'm tweekin.,cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200304_081553.jpg

• Mike96 likes this

#3183 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

Here is the end product.,he said.,lol.,Putting this on the wood tripod took all the vibe's and shakes away.,very noticeable difference.,now there is little to none of either.,very cool beans.,

I have been playin around and have also tried the st80.,the Meade102.,and the Celestron 102 on it and everyone had fun.,

This Meade 80mm set up was my go-to set up for a few years before the Omni an OS joined the club.,It was so well balanced that it dissappeared as I cruised the MW.,too much fun.,

So it is nice to wipe off the cobwebs and give everyone a lookzy.,lots of nice views to be had just waitin for an eager eye.,cheers.,

Edit.,2pm.,I just put the Meade zoom in this scope and set it on 9mm for 100x.,then pointed it at a Chickadee about 70' away.,If I didn't know better it would be hard to convince me there was glass between my eye and the birdie.,and this is through the window,.,I'm still grinning.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200304_125800.jpg
  • 20200304_125455.jpg
  • 20200304_125610.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 04 March 2020 - 02:08 PM.

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3184 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

My wife and youngest son and I went outside to enjoy the Moon. Cold and clear, the only sound was the wind soughing through the pine trees. 

I brought out my binoculars, some interesting craters visible on the terminator line. 

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#3185 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

Scott

I enjoyed hearing about your family enjoying the night sky. My wife has never showed any interest in astronomy and my sons have their own lives and hobbies and my once eager to view grand daughter is almost 15 now so the magic of the night sky has been replaced with more pressing social priorities.

The Moose stopped in for a short visit tonight and we did spend a few minutes admiring the Moon. Despite the many hours The Moose and I have shared the night sky I don't think he'll ever get the hang of using binoculars so we often just discuss the clockwork precision involved around us in the heavens. Then I give him a dog biscuit or two and a rub on his belly. I guess if I insist on treating all my viewing companions that way I shouldn't be surprised that I have so few. So goes the story at the Cider House Observatory and I'm sticking to it.

Grey   

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3186 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:54 AM

Too funny Gray.,Doggy buiscuts and belly scratches.,I can see why the GD has chosen other social outlets.,lol.,

I'm glad I don't have to fuss over such social nicities.,Though we did have a very special guest yesterday.,A dear friend who is a minister and did part of our wedding.,He says he's not a very religious man.,but he believes very strongly in having faith.,In mankind.,in love.,and in himself.,He is one of the nicest person's I have known.,and he forgives me my non believer paganistic ways.,lol.,

Scott.,good for you gettin out to moon.,if you can't lick em join  em.,

Well I got all excited being up at 2.,the magic hour.,hoping to see the clock change back to 1.,DUHHH.,LOL.,Who hired this guy,.,cheers.,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3187 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

Did some mooning early this morning for a bit...  as the moon was starting to set we had a good opening in the clouds.  I had the 27 Panoptic in already so that was the weapon of choice.  Views were pretty good considering the amount of atmosphere I was looking through.  More a pleasure trip rather than a scientific adventure.    my 10 YO grandaughter (a.k.a. the crazy lady next door) seems to have discovered social life and telephones and lost the urge to stargaze also.  At least the seed was planted and someday she may think about it..  My experience with kids is to expose them to as much as I can and see what sticks.  So far no luck to speak of with any of my hobbies except the car thing and so far I'm staying away from that for now other than my old Model A truck that my grandsons have no interest in unless we drop in a V8 and make a rod out of it.  My oldest grandson couldn't probably drive it anyway.  He turns 16 in a couple of months and couldn't fit behind the wheel.  I'm only 6 foot (after shrinkage) and I struggle..  he's 6'3" and 240 so there's no hope for him, especially the size 15 shoes  :-)   people were a lot smaller back in 1931.

put out 50 taps at the farm yesterday..  Probably gather some this afternoon and do a boil tomorrow...  probably only put up a few gallons of syrup this year.  Too much else going on to be able to enjoy it.

Edited by Mike96, 09 March 2020 - 08:04 AM.

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3188 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

I got up at 4 and the yard was all lit up.,I didn't have a clue what time of day or night it was because I have been on a pretty regular schedule as far as sleep goes.,last night I slept 6hr in my chair.,usually it's only 2-3hr. then I move to the bed.,or get up.,

My son said the moon was very nice on his drive to work.,I'm ready for it to be on it's way back towards the sun so I can enjoy these warm March nights.,lol.,

I want to play with the 80mm Meade a bit.,maybe a little side by side with the 102's.,cheers.,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3189 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:10 AM

Nice moon again this morning..  after some visual I decided to put the Nextimage 10 cam on and see what I could capture with it.  Just as I was getting exposure and gain where I wanted and then fussing with trying to get sharp focus the screen went dark! I wondered what went wrong and then I saw...  Big cloud bank I hadn't noticed got me.  Oh well..  had a good boil yesterday at the farm and got a little over two gallons of syrup.  Headed over now to gather and clean up a bit and probably another boil tomorrow.  Going to have to give up on gathering with the snowmobile soon, a little dry going in places.  :-)   Mike

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3190 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

Part of my duties as chief cook and bottle washer in the castle is official food gatherer. The impending health disaster is starting to rear its ugly head in these parts. I was surprised to see a lady using multiple sanitizing wipes to wash her entire shopping cart down. The household cleaning aisle was a disinfectant desert. One older gent was shaking his head and staring at an empty rubbing alcohol display loudly complaining  about contrived shortages, I added I hate contrived shortages too, that's why I picked up a case of contrives a week ago. Then told him that if he needed isopropyl alcohol he may find a hidden supply at the auto parts store, its called  "iso" dry gas and you could still buy it by the case. Works well for wiping things down.

Stay safe in the Kingdom.

Grey

• BFaucett, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3191 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:13 AM

We got a light dusting this morning.,very pretty according to Miss Peg.,

I noticed a lady with about 6 wipes going over the cart yesterday.,I only laughed.,

White people are so afraid of dying.,it's comical considering how many believe there is something better waiting in heaven.,

I don't do media so I was surprised how worked up everyone is getting.,the news channels must be having a field day with this.,

I ran into an old acquaintance yesterday and he seemed very interested in looking through a scope.,I offered him a loaner.,we will see.,best to all.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200313_084426.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 13 March 2020 - 08:14 AM.

• Scott123 likes this

#3192 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:58 AM

I guess in times like this, thinking of the barren TP aisle at Hanafords yesterday, how fortunate I was to have spent a month in Japan a few years ago and developed a real fondness for bidets, My first purchase upon  returning to the states was one. I didn't know how much of a comfort it would be in these " drying times".  I never thought that the heated air dry feature was so critical.wub.png

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3193 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:16 AM

Well I Never!!.,Tooo funny.,I had to look up a bidet.,I've never been west of the Mississippi.,Not very worldly.,.lol.,What did your yankee plumber think of that.,.lol..,

Well Sunday may be a clear but cold night..the clouds opened up for a while early last night but I wasn't ready too go out.,I did poke around CMa with the 8x42 bino through the window.,

Raining here now.,36*.,bye bye snow.,

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3194 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

This Yankee plumber had to install it himself. Cost was over $800. for the new toilet and bidet... The price we're willing to pay for luxury. Heated seat, warm water wash with optional pulse setting and heated blow dryer along with other settings that no man needs to know.  Life like it should be in the Kingdomgramps.gif

Grey

#3195 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 13 March 2020 - 12:56 PM

This could be one of my last CN post. My son just called, his new truck just had the differential self destruct and it will be 2 weeks minimum in the shop in Amarillo so he's flying home tonight. He's been up and down the west coast from Seattle to LA and east to St Louis for the last 6 weeks and will be flying in tonight so..... "You feeling lucky punk?" I'll try to keep in virtual "Touch"  confused1.gif 

Grey 

#3196 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

I had today off, just as well as I feel like I'm getting a cold or the flu; tired, achy, headaches. Been sitting in my easy chair, reading my copies of Astronomy magazine. When I get tired of that, I dip into my Tony Hillerman collection. I'm still working through Norton's Star Atlas. All this between naps. 

I'm gathering the parts to make a barn door star tracker, just need two matched spur gears. Got a couple of scrapped printers at work which will donate the needed parts. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow. 

Edited by Scott123, 13 March 2020 - 06:53 PM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3197 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Grey, just keep six feet apart and wipe down all surfaces with alcohol. I'm not sure about the toilet paper situation, I have corncobs on hand. 

But seriously, I hope he is well, as well as the rest of your family. 

#3198 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

Well Greg was healthy enough to take his niece out to play with his new toy. She's a darn good shot. HERE

Grey

• BFaucett and PeterGunn like this

#3199 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

Well Greg was healthy enough to take his niece out to play with his new toy. She's a darn good shot. HERE

Grey

Are ya feelin lucky.,lol.,I wouldn't want her shootin at me.,Thanks for sharing.,waytogo.gif

• BFaucett likes this

#3200 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:17 AM

We had a couple hours of stars last night so I put out the 80mm Meade and the Omni102 sbs.,It is surprising how much brighter the image is in the 102.,but the 80 was without color and easy to focus on Venus.,the 102 was a mess with the Morphus but a bit better with the ES14/82.,not sure what was up with that.,why the ES was better even with more power.,

Anyway it was good to see stars.,I ended up putting a package together for the guy I spoke of earlier.,with the Omni on it's own tripod with a pipemount.,

Tonight says clear.,temps getting into the single numbers.,It ain't over yet.,lol.,

• Greyhaven likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics