•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3614 replies to this topic

#3201 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

I was out at 2 and again at 4 with the Moose. We had to resign ourselves to the Moon's ghost like apparition through a layer of clouds.  Greg wants me to join him at the range today.... I don't know .... he'll want to put his new pistol through its paces... he won't be satisfied with the 45 long Colt ammo he used with the grand daughter he'll want to try the 454 325 grain Bear loads in it and I'm not sure my wrists or ear drums are up to the task.

I guess we're also not just running short of TP and disinfectant rice has been another item added to the hoarders larder. My Asian next door neighbor said wally world's shelves were bare and rice is as big a staple there as beer in most homes. I went to a local supermarket last night and purchased the last 2  20lb bags they had so my neighbors will be set for a few weeks. I just have to stay stocked up with almond milk and whey protein  to be sure Lady Elaine's dietary requirements are taken care of for the next few weeks.

Stay safe, in this all to real world, that is encroaching on our magical Kingdom.

Grey

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3202 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

I would stick with the 45 colt loads in that beast Grey.  I used to have a 44 mag Super Red Hawk and from what I understand the 460 mag is like 3 times the recoil of that and I considered that one pretty harsh even with the weight :-)  I've fired a 454 Casul a few times and that's definitely not pleasant.

We haven't really gotten into the big stockpiling and could regret it I suppose. My wife said we are fine for a few weeks with the pantry and freezer but will continue to buy groceries as we normally would if available.  My daughter said she had a bunch of TP if we get in a bind..   I'll be like Elaine on Seinfeld  "can you spare a square??"  Maybe we will get back into the old subsistence economy and raise some beef and garden serious.  My wife is just looking for an excuse to have chickens again.  We lost her last batch to mink...  they come up from the river get into the coop and kill them all.  Been through that a couple of times..  first episode I got one in the act with a spade. 

My viewing spot at the farm is a drive to now...  just need a pleasant evening!

• Greyhaven likes this

#3203 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

My thoughts exactly Mike. I'm an air rifle kind of guy myself although I have a Ruger 38 Pocket Mouse ( gift from Greg) and I am the chosen temporary armory for my son until he's married.

I guess if I ever felt the need to prep for Lady Elaine's and my safety. Once that bridge is crossed Maine will  no longer be the Magical Kingdom I've grown to love. Greg did order the HD "ported" ?.. options and feels confident in its ability to handle the Bear rounds plus another even beefier round.shrug.gif

On a more "Grey note" 2 more Tees have joined the collection.. Nebraska and a 2nd Arizona have been added, but who's counting. For completion. N& S Carolina, Delaware, New Jersey. Arkansas.Vt. NH and RI still to go for the lower 48. Pictured in my Tee shirt album on CN.

Grey

Nebraska-tweb.jpg

Arizona-2-web.jpg

#3204 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

All is quiet here.,There were a lot of empty shelves in Hannafords yesterday.,NO baked beans.,not even dried beans.,Not much peanut butter left either.,no Jiff.,Storeable proteins.,This is like a Stephen King story.,I feel bad for all the folks losing work.,Town is quiet as well with the UMF students gone.,Be safe my friends of the Kingdom.,"The times they are a changin".,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3205 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

No matter the outcome I think it is safe to say there will be a change in society coming out of this...not just more washing of hands, but maybe a slowdown in the pace of things in general.  We're a group of light lovers here (in small focused amounts).  I wonder why there has been no mention of using UV light spectrum to sanitize and combat the Corona virus?  It's been proven and used to clean and combat both bacterial and virus microbes..  If the virus is hard to eradicate once its in the lungs, hell, shove a UV emitting diode down the chute and give them a dose where they're at and the body can take care of the rest that didn't get lit up?

day at the farm tomorrow...  got about 80 gallons to boil off.  Spotty run here with the flakey weather.

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3206 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

Dave, glad to hear you are alright. I live about a mile from my local Hannafords, ( explains my light dome to the west) and this afternoon the shelves were bare also. The fish counter seemed well stocked along with steaks and beef roast. No sausages of any kind, hot dogs were gone days ago hamburger a thing of the past,. I don't normally inventory supermarket shelves but I had to kill a half an hour waiting for my insulin script to be filled. So i used it looking at the glassed over eyes of the seniors running about with their carts loaded with HoHo's and Dingalings. Doesn't seem like the Easter Candy is on the hoarders list ..yet. Looking over the coolers empty of their bags and slices of cheese it's obvious a lot of TP will not be needed.  I saw that the wireless computer mount control interface was on sale $75.00 off from it's $200.00+ price so I ordered a SkyFi 3 system, should be here Friday. I've never had any luck controlling any mount remotely, I'll get it working or die trying...Probably a poor choice of words considering current eventsconfused1.gif.  Life in the New Kingdom.

Grey   

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3207 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

Lady Elaine had her 2 week post op Dr. visit yesterday and everything checked out good. No surprises, weight loss following the expected slope just fine. She has been given permission to try the next step towards recognizable human nutrients but small amounts. I was surprised to see 4 oz of cottage cheese bring such a big smile to her face. The hospital has canceled all gastric bypass surgery for the foreseeable future because of the health emergency we find ourselves in. We're very lucky to have slipped in under the wire. Although our hearts go out to all the people that have had their operations delayed because of the crisis. Elective surgery does not mean " not needed" and this is just as serious as awaiting any other procedure. Thanks for all your well wishes for The Lady and I.flowerred.gif

Grey 

#3208 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

Grey, I'm glad to hear that Lady Elaine is doing well. Surgery is always a stressful event.

We've all been told (for the moment) to stay home from work for two weeks. I work for the County, which means the Jail and the Sheriff's Office. While the amount of arrests and intakes has dropped, both departments still run 24/7. So I keep my phone at my side, and check emails. Most of what I do can be done from home, barring equipment failure.

My wife works for a school, it's been closed for two weeks. Special times.

On another note, I did get up early this morning, the clouds parted long enough to see the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn close together.

Before I left work I cannibalized some gears out of some scrapped out printers, I'm working on a barn door tracker. I need to figure out how to bore out the axis on center, so I can attach the motor to one gear, and a well nut to the other.

Solar noon is about 12:42 today, here. If I remember I'll take a photo of the Sun, and try to combine with the photo I took at the Solstice, back in December.

Take care!

• Greyhaven and clearwaterdave like this

#3209 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

I'm probably looking for problems that won't arise, but as some of you may recall my son came home last week for a 2 week visit while his truck in under going repairs in Amarillo TX. I'm expecting that sometime next week he may be getting a call saying his truck is ready. I don't know if plane travel will be sorted out by then, if not Grey may be on a long road trip soon. I wonder how close I'll get to Norman OK, home of our host. There would be 2 or 3 drivers on the way out, but a solo drive  with navigator for the trip back. That's just a "what if" situation, it seems like "what ifs" morph into "deal with it" scenarios a lot now.  crazy.gif I haven't been out to Amarillo since 1960 wonder if anything has changed along the way?

Grey

• Scott123 likes this

#3210 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

My son just received a call from his company. Looks like since he took a plane home from Tx. He is quarantined for the 14 days and they will pay for a rental car for him to get back to work plus get compensated for the time he can't work. 

Looks like there will be help for him to reduce his losses due to the quarantine. No road trip! by the Grey man.

Hey if he's quarantined so am I. Just building my resume'

Grey 

#3211 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

I've noticed some telescopes for sale, some in Maine, or nearby states. Price of fuel is low, but I'm staying home, quarantined. Maybe in a month.

Edited by Scott123, 19 March 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#3212 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

It looks like this weekend may give us some stars to view.,It will be a nice distraction from all this virus bs.,Hunkering down is an everyday thing for us,.( Peg an I )but for many.,it means not getting the bills paid.,there's a lot of folks now with no job.,no money.,and way too much time on their hands.,I would bet that break-ins are going to sky rocket if this keeps up.,Be safe my friends.,I hope you get out this weekend for some startime.,cheers.,

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3213 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:29 AM

Yes, yesterday was a real joy. The dishwasher has been acting up so I thought great time to see what was wrong. I opened the doors under the kitchen sink preparing to do some under counter work for the Department of Home Repair and there was a problem with a leaking sink drain, nothing major, a new drain basket and a fresh set of gaskets easy peezy maybe an hour delay in the original mission. I just needed to go to the cellar and fetch the small pipe wrench, A rainy day in semi quarantine and a couple of manly duties to check off the list I can handle this. Hey! what's that water on the basement floor? Oh no! The sump pump failed The motor was running but the water was  not being pumped out of the sump. This left me with another choice, repair/ replace the pump or call state and see if they will stock the basement with a few trout. Fix it Grey just fix it. Could be worse every thing will be in the same department at the big box store that equals limited social contact. Pulled on my Bean's boots and waded over to the sump and pulled the pump made sure it wasn't just a blockage and then began my trek to the land of Lowes. About 5 hours later after 2 trips to the Land of Lowes and a quick stop at my local Trust Worthy, Forgot the plumber's putty and some PVC primer and glue, everything is dry and water is flowing in the intended directions. Maybe tomorrow Grey will get to the dishwasher....maybe.

Grey

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#3214 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the chuckle Gray.,when it rains it pours.,when it leaks it sucks., 

You don't miss the water till the well runs dry.,then you can't believe it's gone.,J.J.Walker.,best to all.,

#3215 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:03 AM

I didn't realize that complete episodes of Red Green were available on Youtube. https://www.youtube....y9Upzcf316Xpytw

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Edited by Scott123, 20 March 2020 - 11:07 AM.

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3216 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:46 PM

The wind started kickin up about an hour ago.,we were socked in all day.,my neighbors are still hauling sap.,no MMsunday this year.,maybe suggest a small off the grid sap party.,we have musicians.,astronomer.,yoga instructor.,and a contradance caller.,a regular buffet of intertainment.,just.,after 3 vodka's an syrup's.,they better keep me away from the mike's.,lol

Fingers crossed for some stars.,best to all.,

• Scott123 likes this

#3217 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:43 AM

We had a real nice pass of ISS last night so I took the opportunity to bring the one sky out and get a little viewing in at the same time.  Even being able to get mostly out of the breeze half an hour was all I was dressed for.  Nice black SW sky with a little wiggle at times.  My window keeps me going in the winter but sure nice to get free again!

been doing some sapping but at a leisurely pace.  Some years in the past we’ve had too many taps out and found myself in the sap shack 8-10 hours every other day.  We only have 40 or so out this year and the run for us has been spotty so easily managed.  My wife has been busy transporting our son to therapy sessions with a friend who’s a semi retired PT while he’s waiting to start at West Side neuro next week.   We’re hoping the virus situation doesn’t shut them down.  Other than that we’re pretty much hunkered down and waiting things out.  I’ve got my radios and gadgets to play with and some woodworking projects to get moving on so sheltering in place is no problem for me. After a lot of years I finally found that being retired and self imposed quarantine are two things I am really good at...

couple of days ago talked with a guy from N. Italy on the radio...  situation is rugged for them.  Pretty densely populated and normally very social society.  Also he said they are geared more toward fresh food diet where they usually do market shopping almost every day so no big pantry to dig into.  Sucks for us but in the tragic category for them.  They are hoping to turn the corner in a few weeks.  Mike

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3218 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:50 AM

Skies clouded up here last evening, but may be clear tonight. I'll have to go outside and bid farewell to Orion.

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3219 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Mike sure sounds like you have positioned yourself well for the next few weeks. My wife had an appointment with her COPD Doc Friday I expected the appointment would be canceled because all the clients would be at extremely high risk of this bug., but it wasn't. They took care to limit the amount of people seeing Drs. We were stopped before reception where the hallway was well marked with tape insuring proper social distance separation,both of us were given an interview about our recent medical and social history and our temps  were taken then I was allowed to sit in the empty waiting room that had been policed of all reading material that one might be tempted to handle. That made the daytime gender oriented TV blaring on the wall almost impossible it ignore. Our care givers are working very hard to keep us as safe as they can. That makes it real obvious we should also do our part to help. On the way home I had to  pick up some meds at the pharmacy. I left Lady Elaine in the Subaru while I went to the Hannaford war zone. I hadn't  taken 5 steps when a gentleman approached and stood well within my 6 foot comfort zone and asked "What does you license plate say?"  PLEADEZ  (had to adjust spelling to meet the max 7 letter state rules) He quickly closed the gap I had re-created and continued " Why did you put that on your plate?"  I re-established my zone of comfort, and quickly countered with  " Subaru is the name that the PLEADEZ  aster-ism was known by in Japan.One more step backwards to create that red line in the sand famous battle motto. This last retreat positioned me at my Subaru's tailgate so I pointed to the emblem displayed there and while his attention was caught I strategically made my move and  quickly proceeded  across the 150' feet to the entrance Hey that worked crossed my mind., Then immediately to my right I hear " How come you know so much about that?" I stepped a step or two the the left, Best I could do to establish proper boundaries, wishing there were some high ground to occupy and defend, none to be had in this parking lot. Astronomy is my hobby I offered as my breath was getting labored. Trying to reach Hannaford's automated doors that would force him follow me in single line. If we keep this position he might try to hold my hand.

The door worked, he was behind me I'm sure a Mona Lisa smile fluttered across my  lips. Until again from my right a voice attacked... "I like all that science stuff! I watch all I can on TV" ...Well, that's good in times like these, those hours in quarantine can rot your mind. Before I could once more gain proper social distance he continued to expand on his latest TV knowledge about aliens being responsible for spreading this pox upon us and if it weren't for these alien interventions people would be enjoying life spans reaching those in the bible.

This was getting scary. Not because of what he was saying but now I was approaching the aisle area and if this continued he would have my escape routes fenced in. I thought quickly..and dropped the line "I have to get to the pharmacy and pick up my fever medicine... Talk to you later".... I found myself alone....In the Kingdom...Life the way it was meant to be.waytogo.gif

Grey

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#3220 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:49 AM

They said 3-5".,I see 12" on the bench on the deck and it's still coming down.,My son saw 2 wrecks on his way home last night at 7-8pm.,coming down rt27 from above Eustis.,He said he had a young bull moose challanging him in his rig all day.,they are cutting spruce and fir and the moose think it's their buffet.,He got a good vid of the little guy charging his rig.,stompin at it and shakin his head.,He also had a red squirrel tearing at a tarp.,said it was like a dog playing tugawar.,it already had cheeks full of blue tarp but it wanted this one last piece.,Will said he laughed more than he has in a week watchin it.,best to all.,

Gray.,you shouldn't be pestering the other shoppers.,lol.gif

• Greyhaven and BFaucett like this

#3221 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

JD gave another flawless performance this morning.,I didn't cover it.,thinking 3-5" no biggy.,I thought.,little brush an go.,Well it was a bit more then a little brush an go but I only did the bare minimal and I was off.,I was done in 50 minutes.,The plow has only made one pass so I will have to do the two openings I have again.,

The deck on the other hand.,I am NOT laughing.,neither are the birdies.,

I do see blue.,and we are charging and it is dripping.,all is not lost.,be safe.,stay warm.,wash your hands when you're done.,lol.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200324_094228.jpg
  • 20200324_094256.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 24 March 2020 - 08:59 AM.

• Greyhaven, BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3222 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

The sign says it all!

Grey

4-24-20-ss-stormweb2.jpg

#3223 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

The plowman came up and started moving snow. Both of our vehicles were offsite, so he had a clear field, I went back inside. Then, silence. I looked out, he was trying to pick up the plow blade enough so he could hook it up with a chain. My youngest and I came out and lifted the blade so he could chain it up. Something electrical had gone wrong, he needed to go back to the shop.

Luckily, we were the last house on his route, and he'd plowed out enough for us to move in and out when needed.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3224 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

Up early this morning to view the Milky Way.I didn't go outside - I pointed my camera out an open window.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0006_00001-1.jpg

• Greyhaven, Starman27 and clearwaterdave like this

#3225 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:26 AM

Very nice Scott.,I have been lazy the past few nights,.just lookin through the window.,The deck still needs attention.,

I did a town run today.,Hannafords was not too bad.,plenty of fresh veggies.,not too many empty shelf's., I should be able to stay home for a month if needed.,

Miss Peg is not able to conceive whats going on.,which is good I guess.Life is still kinda normal for us here at home.,there are no cases in Franklin County.,A lot of folks still not wearing masks.,

All is quiet in the Kingdom's western realm.,best to all.,

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics