•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3500 replies to this topic

#3226 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Scott, nice capture! I think you may have gotten comet Atlas (c/2019F2) above to the left of Jupiter.I've read where it is approaching naked eye visibility now if so waytogo.gifwaytogo.gif.if notforeheadslap.gif . I love these wide expanses of the night sky. Thanks for sharing.

Grey 

• Scott123 likes this

#3227 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

A closeup of the Teapot.

DSC_0007-teapot2.png

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#3228 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

Fri. night is lookin good.,low of 28*.,I will "clear the deck" tomorrow.,not much left.,I had the 80mm Meade mounted out on Frank for 3 days and never looked through it after dark.,

Scott's pic is inspiring to take advantage of our wonderful skies here in the Kingdom.,My neighbors big big sap tanks were 3/4's full this am by 10:30.,He looked pretty beat.,lol.,cheers.,

• Scott123 likes this

#3229 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:08 AM

It still looks good for tonight.,The seeing may be poor but at least there will be stars and no moon,wind,bugs,or below freezing temps.,there.,the astro forecast for west central Me..,lol.,  Be safe my fellow astronomizers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180728_201550.jpg.jpg

• Scott123 likes this

#3230 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

Only have to wait another 6 weeks and the Kingdom will bloom for us.

Grey

Attached Thumbnails

• LADYSLIPPERSWEB.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Starman27, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#3231 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:12 PM

Nice sky here earlier. The moon was nice but wouldn’t stand still for high power... 

gathered sap this afternoon and doing last boil at the farm tomorrow so early bedtime tonight.  Problem is my path to the bed takes me right by the scope!  Mike

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3232 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

I did another no show.,I had the AT102 on Frank.,did a little moonin early.,but couldn't drag myself out later for some stars.,

I hope everyone is well.,all is quiet here.,We now have one case in Franklin county.,

Mike.,hope the boil went good.,my neighbors have been back an forth all week haulin sap.,too much work for this ole faart.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200327_124444.jpg

• Scott123 likes this

#3233 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

We bottled the last syrup this morning..buckets are cleaned, taps all pulled and cleaned.  I’m really thinking hard about changes for next year.  The five gallon pails of sap are getting heavier every year.  The lay of the land doesn't lend itself to tubing easily and I hate to go back to small pails and having to gather so often.  I’m thinking at least semi retiring from the sport...  if the boss will go along with it.   I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it

Dave, You’re looking relaxed and I think you have enough scopes to weather out our quarantine without losing interest.  We are laying pretty low here.  My youngest sons significant other had symptoms and got tested.  We were worried about her as a diabetic as well as that household.  My son was asked to stay home from work till they got the results and yesterday (8 days later) she got the results she was negative..  lots of relief there!  Kind of a wake up call to us to take this all seriously.  Take care!  Mike

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3234 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

They are doin some house cleanin I guess.,had to shorten my sig.,well a picture's worth a 1000 words they say now don't they.,.lol..,I can play around with the line up for a little variety.,

Mike, syrup is a lot of work no matter how automated you get.,because then you just do more.,lol.,

My son taps a few trees in his yard and a friend boils it for him.

Snowin here.,wet an heavy.,.gonna just let it melt this time.,JD is ready to do some grazin.,forecast is sad.,April slush brings May mud.,cool.gif .,

Just heard one of Miss Peg's brothers is on the mend from it.,He is in Colorado.,strong and heathy guy.,We are all probably gonna be hearing similar reports soon enough.hopfully with the same good results.,best to all.,

• ArizonaScott and Scott123 like this

#3235 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:42 AM

Mike, I'm glad to hear that she tested negative. Everything we do in the Kingdom now requires us to be proactive in our actions to keep the spread of this down. Running a sugar orchard has always sounded like hard work to me, so retiring from that hobby sounds wise.My son, the trucker, is back behind the wheel after a 14 day mandatory quarantine because he was on a passenger air flight . He just dropped off a load of Texas beef to Chicago and is loaded with frozen pizzas headed for PA. He says the road traffic is way down even around the major cities. He usually relies on food from a small fridge and microwave on board with Wally World stops for resupply. I used to end our phone calls with

" Love Ya, Drive safe, Good night" and now have added "Wash your hands!" to the end of the calls.

Dave I've always had a "Love/ Hate relationship with _ signatures_ here. I seem to automatically check the ignore button on long entries or those offering religious comments or sermons. So, the pages I see are usually pretty clean. I've always preferred to do my own housekeeping  and not relying  on others for moderation.

City is planning on doing work on the water lines, both drinking water and storm drainage pipes running along the Cider House site this summer. The crews have been surveying and eyeing the area around my traditional garden spot and spraying all kinds of colorful graffiti on the pavement making the area outside the Cider House look more like the inner city than I would prefer. In response I've begun to prepare my abandoned, for 20 years, alternate garden spot for reactivation. I moved to the new spot when the old suffered a couple of years worth of decimation by a ruthless band of groundhogs operating out from under a neighbors shed. Perhaps the air rifle will earn its keep this summer! Although I've heard that if you shoot one , 6 of his relatives will come for the funeral and stay afterwards. Be Well, Stay Safe and WASH YOUR HANDS!

Grey

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3236 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

Hey Dave, for what it's worth, the greater Industry metro- plex is scheduled for a ISS solar transit on

4/11/20 at 6:13.41 nice 2. 37sec pass should you have a good western view around sunset and the right filter. Don't forget WASH YOUR HANDS! or learn to pick your nose with your feet.

Grey

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3237 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

I didn't "pick" my nose.,I was born with it.,Or you could say.,It "runs" in the family.,

For the transit I would I would have to leave home.,west is slightly uphill w/trees from here.,Don't wanna get shot by the Sheriff.,or his deputy.,ohno.,There is a good spot about 3mi. up the road.,remind me again on the 4th.,lol.,maybe I'll be feelin a little reckless.,there might even be a car that comes by.,or a spaceship.,Now would be a good time for an alien invasion.,catch us all with our pants down an our pockets full of tp.,

No.,I won't post that picture.,.lol.,Here was the yard this am.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200330_073851.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 30 March 2020 - 08:33 PM.

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven and BFaucett like this

#3238 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

Woke up to an inch of pea sized hail stones laying on the deck.and driveway. Not as impressive as Industry's storm but the best we could manage on short notice. Looks like it's time to slip on my N95 masks when going out to the store. Maybe start wearing the blue nytrile gloves I buy by the 100 pack for painting in the body shop. In college they were called Trojan 5 packs or the weekender pack or so I heard. Stay safe...Wash your hands.

Grey

#3239 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:21 PM

It's still falling here.,sleetansnow special.,I got no farther than the woodshed today.,the birds were all set.,the mail can wait.,JD is standing guard at the drawbridge.,life in the slo lane.,

The only thing different in our/my day's so far is knowing this is going on.,and things being closed.,We are just enough off the beaten path and I have needed to be here with Miss Peg.,so outside contact was pretty much nonexistant except for my once a week town trip.,That's why I blab so much on hear.,lol.,

Miss Peg is not very good at conversation anymore.,

I ask " Hon,what would you like for breakfast".,she say's " The car is wet",.I say "Yes it is,.what would you like for breakfast".,she say's" The computer fixed our appointment so we can be on time".,I say " that's great hon.,what are ya hungry for".,she says "Oh,.you decide". I decide.,

She is not at all aware of how things are out there.,but she is safe and happy here.,best to all.,

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3240 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

I needed to download this pic .,please excuse.,lol., it was too big to be in the sig.,hope this works,.

Well they didn't like that size either.,so I'll just leave it empty.,no sweat off my sig.,gonna make it real simple.,cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200225_150351.jpg(1).jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 31 March 2020 - 03:47 PM.

• Scott123 likes this

#3241 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

Been out moonin.,really steady.,good views in the Meade 80mm with the Meade zoom and 2x barlow.,maxing out at 225x.,

I was out at 6:30ish and the views were the best daytime moon views I think I have seen..,

Cds says a nice night here.,still some clouds moving through now.,

State ordered stay home??.,Better shop tomorrow.,early.,best to all.,

• Mike96 likes this

#3242 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hadn't heard we were ordered to stay home.  I guess as long as the intranet allows us social contact we can manage. I've got enough supplies and if I can get out and work around the house I'll be alright.

Does give one pause now when even a slight cough makes you check your forehead for temp. With congestive heart failure, restrictive lung disease and diabetes already written on my dance card I really don't need to take a spin around the floor with the crona virus too. So everyone stay home, stay well,stay in touch and oh ya Wash Your Hands. Good thing we have draw bridges in the Kingdom.

Grey

• ArizonaScott and Mike96 like this

#3243 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:05 AM

Me too Dave!  I got the Onesky out early to do moon and ended up playing off an on for a couple of hours playing peekaboo with passing clouds.  My wife asked if I was looking for a place to escape to.  

We are sheltering in and only leaving for supplies and twice a week taking our son to a friend for therapy as Goodwill West Side Neurology shut down the day before his first session there.  We’ve decided as a big family to forego social visiting and make use of tech to stay in touch.  I worry for friends and family that aren’t either able to quarantine or chose not too.  I went over to Bear Pond to check our camp and our neighbor there who lives year round is older than I am and has health issues rushed over to chat...  I struggled to keep distance between us and cautioned him and he told me he was fine..  hope he stays that way.  I asked if they needed anything and he said they were still going out for something almost every day...  but using precautions.  Fingers crossed for them.   This morning is my breakout...  headed out to grab a few groceries locally with my wipes.  My wife said I should wear a disguise so I don’t get into conversations..  hard to dodge folks you know. 

• ArizonaScott and clearwaterdave like this

#3244 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:46 AM

I did Hannafords today.,they had us lined up around inside for checkout spacing.,More people wearing masks but not "a lot of them".,mine ripped putting it on.,lol.,I can't breath with them anyway.,There were some bare shelfs but not too bad.,plenty of produce.,Folks still seem calm but the stay at home thing.,is it going to put MORE out of work.,

Ohh the times they are a chaangin.,be safe.,be kind.,hug your honey.,

Edit.,I just read that wood products are an essential business so my son will be able to remain working.,He's going north of Eustis everyday an up into the bush so the only contact he has is the few others onsite.,they mostly talk by cb anyway.,glad for him,.she is home with the skids.,

Attached Thumbnails

• gplus930034774.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 01 April 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• Starman27, BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3245 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

Since it's gonna be cloudy for the next week I went ahead and ordered a Meade,.5.5mm.,82* on sale,.These are less $$ than ES 82's but a few in the 5000 series get very good reviews.,

I realized I hadn't observed at all in March except early evening moonin.,I slept through those nice nights at the end of the month.,and it was clouds for the most part early on.,

I got a chuckle out of an elderly lady behind me in line.,told her I was gonna tear into my donut bag if the line didn't get moving soon.,I said.,I wouldn't want to be in NY now with all this goin on.,She said.,she wouldn't want to be in NY at all.,virus or not.,She got a chuckle out of me.,waytogo.gif

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3246 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:51 PM

I wore my own PPE out and about for the first time today. I guess the risk out weighting the embarrassment of appearing weak and frail tipped the scales for me. Today our local Hannafords had employees stopping us before we entered if we needed a cart one was sanitized for us and then we were allowed to enter.  I hadn't realized how lucky I was to have bought  a supply of masks and disposable gloves to use in the Cider House Body Shop months ago. 4 out of 5 of my neighbors are older than I am and I am 69 and we are always on the lookout for each other, helps keep any anxiety down. Lady Elaine's need for her special dietary requirements right now is getting me out there among the English more than normal so a little extra care in called for. I like to think that astronomizen would  benefit from this quarantine but clouds are busy clouding as clouds are bound to do.

This next part of my monologue has little or nothing to do with anything so run away while you can.

My Dad never had much stuff and most of what he did have went to my older brother I was left with a small 4"X3" x10" green  metal box, that contained mostly photos of my brother and I along with photos of him and his fellow103rd infantry unit in their South Pacific  all expense paid tour of an endless string of tropical isles. I don't know if he kept him self so thin because of the food or just felt it would make him a smaller target. They were a generation we should honor. In the bottom of the box there was a nickle sized coin that I had always thought was a bus token left from his days in the 50's and 60's as a bus driver in Lewiston, Portland and San Francisco. I had been partially right the token dates back to the old trolley/ streetcar days in this area. The image on the token was a horse drawn trolley and the company that ran it was the Lewiston Auburn Street Railway.  Because of Dads history with public transportation and knowing a couple of my great uncles had been drivers on the old electric street cars my own knowledge was that from the early part of the 20th until the mid 50's L&A transit was the company serving our area that token might well be something out the late 1800's and yes Sherlock the game was afoot. These trolley lines connected all the major towns from Kittery to north of Bangor with small spurs running to many small towns or mills. Google and I became fast friends as searches went out in all directions searching in vain for the Lewiston Auburn Street Railway history. Quite often the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport was noted. I emailed them a question about my mystery token along with a scan of both sides of my token. I received a reply almost instantly saying their expert on the area would be emailing me soon. It seems that before the dynasty of buses token were almost unheard of certainly in this area anyway.

The museum had not seen any and Phil my contact was intrigued by the token and lack of easily found reference to the company on it. Phil and I exchanged a string of emails until almost midnight he was as determined as me  to solve the puzzle. Nothing locked in yet, but the 1880-1894 time period looks promising. I'll tack on a few picts of the contents in my small green box. Maybe you can look through any small green box that was left to you. 

Grey

THE TOKEN

tolken-LA(1).jpg

A 1920's Lewiston streetcar corner of Main St and Lisbon St 

trollyfix.jpg

A very early taxi cab fleet corner of Main and Chapel St." Star Taxi " owner must have been one of us. I wonder if that is a tow-horse behind the fleet.

star taxi fleet fix.jpg

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#3247 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

Well here's one more Star Taxi shot

Attached Thumbnails

• Star taxi fix.jpg

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#3248 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

I guess I scared everyone away with my long boring trip down memory lane. Sorrybawling.gif ... But at least I didn't cut into anyone's star timewink.gif unless you can observe while treading water. I hope the Kingdom is staying safe, taking care of the ones you love and of course polishing your glass. 

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3249 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:10 AM

No you didn't scare us.,it's just hard to type and tread water at the same time.,lol.,

I really enjoy those old photo's.,When I came to Me. in 1973 they were still floating logs down the Kennebec.,A guy I knew who grew up on the river said his family used to string 50gal barrels across it to catch Atlanic salmon to put in the garden for fertilizer.,This was in Madison.,If they only knew.,

I hope everyone is doin ok with the stay home order.,I feel things will be strickter next time I go to get supplies.,I have enough coffee an cream for two more weeks.,after that is anybodies guess.,They say to wear a mask but they don't tell ya where to get one.,should I tie a tee shirt around my face?.,

The lady in line who made me chuckle also said " I never thought I'd live to see anything like this.," And she had probably seen her brother's and/or friend's go off to war.,

I never wanted to have kids because I was afraid Tricky Dick or someone like him might push the RED BUTTON.,I hadn't considered a virus doing us in.,something so small a microscope is needed to see it has brought the world to a halt.,go figger,.

Best to all from Industry, Me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2015-04-22-13-04-21jpg.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, PeterGunn and 2 others like this

#3250 Scott123

Scott123

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:38 PM

Still tinkering with the barn door tracker, the motor shaft needs to be extended. Somewhere I have a coupling of the right size, but searching has proved fruitless. I'm going outside later with my binoculars, view the Moon, and see if Venus is still near the Pleiades.

We spent as much time outside today as we could, too nice a day to waste inside!

I hope all is well with everyone.

Scott

• Greyhaven and PeterGunn like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics