•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3605 replies to this topic

#3501 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

Yeah there is a pass over central Maine tonight around 9:50PM and Crew Dragon should be visible too. 

B

Edited by bmurphy495, 30 May 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#3502 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:05 PM

Just watched it go over.,pretty bright naked eye.,faded out over Scorpio.,cool beans.,

I read B's post at 9:49 and ran out in my skivies.,I hade been mooning an come in for coffee.,

The AT102 is on Frank and with the Baader zoom at 8.,and a 2x barlow the view still held up nicely.,but I like it better at around 10mm,.no barlow.,giving 70x.,very nice view.,enjoy your night.,

#3503 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

Running out in your skivies and mooning? LoL! 

B

#3504 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:45 AM

Running out in your skivies and mooning? LoL! 

B

Yes.,Thanks to you!!.,   I see Jupiter and Saturn coming and going.,I will try for a look after my cup.,

• bmurphy495 likes this

#3505 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

The ISS solar transit remains on my Bucket List. Lady Elaine was having a bad time today and required my attention. There will be other opportunities to capture it and family comes first.  Looks to be a good night tonight breezy and cool. My attention will most likely still be needed for the rest of the day so let me know whats happening around the Kingdom tonight.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3506 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:06 AM

You are a good man Gray.,Some things are important,.others are not.,Best to you and Lady E.,

The Kingdom was quiet in foothills.,I took the night off.,the coffee not being enough to ward off the heavy eyelids.,the moon is setting.,shinning through the trees lighting up yard in a Stephen King way.,lol.,

• Greyhaven and Mike96 like this

#3507 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

I enjoyed the moon last night in between the clouds.,from my recliner.,.All clouds now.,I just put the screen in the porch door last week.,It has hardly gotten over 50* since.,Lots of frosts up here the other night.,folks lost tomatoe an cuke plants.,

My longer slo mo's from Scopestuff seem to be getting the grand tour of Scarboro.,been there since Sat,,I'll grow a beard by the time they get here.,gramps.gif .,

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3508 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Lady Elaine is still recovering from this weekend sickness, she managed some needed sleep this afternoon so I stole myself a little Cider House time with many trips back to the house to keep an eye on her. I slipped the SW 80 off the AVX and remounted the NexStar 5 on the AVX   and got it all camera-ed up like I had planned for Sunday just because I wanted to. Sort of an after the fact dry run. Seemed good to have everything playing well together. The astro gods must have looked down and figured since everything was going well they sent a solid cloud deck my way. LOL. its great to see you guys are do'in what you can to keep a watch on the Kingdom's skies. Be well.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3509 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

The slomo's made it to Industry.,they seem alright.,Now.,if I could rig em up on Frank.,.lol.,

Looking like it could be an exciting night.,Full moon and maybe thunder and lightning..

It is starting to feel like summer here with the leave's filling in.,The dandilion's are going to seed,.and the lilac's are on the way out.,Sunday night may be a good moonin night.,

I was getting some shifting in the Omni's focuser.,and was able to fix it with an allen wrench in one of the little holes on top of the focuser..,It moves really well now.,I realized it could be fixed while using the Meade 102 which has the same focuser.,and that I use for the birds and have felt it works great.If this can so can that one.,and wala.,some days are better than others.,best2all.,

• BFaucett and Scott123 like this

#3510 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

The moon was nice rising behind the tree's and mist last night.,a pink glow in the southeast.,then the orb rising into it.,We have lots of lovely clouds here now.,!!.,

Frank is getting restless.,see's me playin with the eq3 again.,

No big storms here yet.,some hard rain but no boom's.,lit a fire eariler when it was raining,.then the sun came out.,buried the coals for later.,best2all.,be safe.,no skeeters yet.,

• Greyhaven likes this

#3511 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

My oldest son called this afternoon and said if I got the grill going he and his daughter would be over at 5:30 with all the fixins for a barbecue so between thunder showers we were able to squeeze in a pretty respectable supper. The sky was clearing nicely at 9 when they left maybe some decent skies later. Be well in the Kingdom.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3512 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:43 AM

Haven’t looked through an eyepiece in a week...  gotta be some good evenings coming up.  We have skeeters here Dave but pretty light duty so far.  We were sitting outside last night and they were noticeably absent for this time of year.  Bee’s, on the other hand are having a banner year.  Bumblebees are everywhere and there’s a nice uptick in honeybees around here for a change..  yellow jackets unfortunately seem more plentiful also.  Couple of rumbles here yesterday but most of that and associated rain skirted us...  the river behind us is at late July lows.  Pretty dry, could explain the mosquito issue.  Mike

#3513 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:48 AM

I saw this on fb.,If your havin trouble with the hornets or yellow jackets coming in your buildings.,take a medium size brown paper bag puff it out.,tie the top closed.,and hang it by where they are coming in.,They think it's a wasp nest and they stay away.,I have a gap between buildings and there are always hornets coming in.,and this year the big yellow jackets as well.,since I hung the bag out.,not a single one in the house.,I had been catching and releasing at least 6 a day.,Cool when something so simple works so well.,

My son is coming to put the dock out today.,very excited.,It will be a great place for me to sit and comtemplate my next world changing move.,or wether I should do take out pizza.,.life's tuff sometimes.,but we will survive.,maybe,.,lol.,

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#3514 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

Well Dave, I've been thinking about all those great tinkering projects you work on with your mounts. Here is my mount mod. The JD at my homestead needed some attention an additional little safety add on.

I wanted a warning light for those dark winter nights it just means that if someone hits me while I'm blowing snow it won't be be cause they couldn't see me it will because they aimed at me. I added a cigarette lighter power outlet to the dash and a flashing LED amber light to the tow hitch. JD wanted $34.00 for the lighter outlet for about $6.00 more than that I put together this.

Grey

Attached a 1/2" X 5" pipe to the trailer hitch

jdfrontweb.jpg

placed a power plug in to the dash

jdpoweroutletweb.jpg

One bolt attachment to the trailer hitch

jdlighthitch1web.jpg

For a 1 minute video of it in action click HERE

video link should be OK now.

Edited by Greyhaven, 08 June 2020 - 04:57 AM.

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#3515 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:50 PM

The link tells me the video is private and doesn't play.,Now Lady E will be able to track you down.,lol.,That's not tall enough either,.,lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IM000510.jpg.jpg

#3516 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:58 AM

The link tells me the video is private and doesn't play.,Now Lady E will be able to track you down.,lol.,That's not tall enough either,.,lol

Link should work now... let me know

Grey

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3517 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

Working now.,I like the hat..lol,.,Good job on the safety light.,I think I'm mowing today..

My son got the dock in.,We built an 8' section to add to it and we need to brace under the joint.,otherwise it's in the water and good to go.,,best2all

• Greyhaven likes this

#3518 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

Dave, I had fridge issues myself this weekend. My regular (not propane) unit decided to quit working. Hadn't given any signs of problems still ran quiet and temps were constant. It is a 14ish year old unit so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. What was a surprise was how much difficulty I am having getting a replacement. I am trying to get on comparable to my current unit white-bottom freezer- 30" wide. So far the quickest estimated delivery was possibly by the end of August and if I would settle for stainless or black they may be a 2 week reduction in that time. What!! are people storing their TP in fridges now? went to wally world and picked up a small "Dorm room" unit to use the meantime. Hard to adjust to living in a third world country.  Be well in the Kingdom.

Grey

#3519 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

Sorry to hear this.,A fridge is kinda handy in summer.,We used to hang stuff in a bucket in the well when we were still heathens.,I thought I might have to go back to that for a bit.,Sure did keep a can of beer cold though.,

My cds chart says iffy tonight.,better tomorrow night.,The moon and planets were very nice naked eye this morning around 3.,mostly clouds but open around them.,great cloud shadows.,

Still more clouds then not here now,.I'll have to check my appointment book for tonight.,Best2all

#3520 plento

plento

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 25 NW Boston and Washington Cty Maine

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

Sounds like more fridge talk!
My current fridge, an electric one, is probably 15 years old. Runs fine but has a quirk. When the compressor shuts, it makes a clucking noise that lasts about a minute. I researched the remedy, and not worth the hassle. Bennett doing this for about 8 years. But, funny thing is, it only does it from November to May. Not against an outside wall either. Very strange.
I love the looks people give me when they come over. What's that noise?? What noise!
Reminds me of the Monty python movie when the knight claps two coconut shells that sounds like a horse!
Livin the Dream!
Enjoy

#3521 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

My csc is telling me that I should put a scope out.,Who else is lookin out the window now.,it looks good here.,ennemene.,lol.,best2all.,

• Greyhaven likes this

#3522 Mike96

Mike96

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

company just left and I checked CDS which to me was a go...  looking up its not.  I didn't set up...  I'm not going to invest the time.  Please do not tell me I  missed the boat later  :-) early bedtime for me.....

#3523 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

Lady Elaine and I just returned from our early evening walk and I would say the sky could bare some time tonight.Nice temp and no bugs.... The SW 80 is all set up on the Twilight 1 perhaps a low tech relaxing evening is in the cards for the Kings,Queens, Jacks and Jokers of the Kingdom this evening.

Grey

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3524 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:23 PM

I see our friend in Bangor has reposted on Craigslist, advertising her Brand new Meade LX70 5. Price has been reduced to $675.

#3525 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:24 PM

I'm with you Gray.,I just put the Omni on the eq3 out.,The deer were blowin at me.,mama had her babe on Sun. I saw her Sat. all big an round.,On Mon. she was ribs showin an skinny in the tummy.,She was here today at 9am. lookin for some corn.,It's out there now an she's wanting to come get it.,lol.,I'll give her till 9:45.,then I'm goin out.,cool.gif.,I can see Spica from my chair now.,

Pete.,we only need fridges up here for 4 months of the year.,the rest of the time we can just keep stuff in the porch in a cooler or old broken fridge.,But.,as we get older we find it's easier to have things inside.,closer.,lol.,so we put in a fridge.,I was still using ice in a dorm fridge or the well in 2000.,Miss Peg wanted something more modern.,She didn't mind the outhouse but she wanted a fridge.,go figger..,Hope you get to come up and enjoy your place in Me. this summer.,best2all.,where's my coffee.,.waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics