•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
3979 replies to this topic

#3876 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:13 PM

I remembered to take a few before pics of the yard.,When they are done I'll take some more.,It seemed opened up after just a few hours of cutting.,My favorite Red Maple went down around noon.,lol.,It was dying.,all the top branches were dead..It is/was.,always the first to turn in the fall.,

The local forecast looks good for the rest of the week.,I hope the smoke goes away.,

Not a drop of rain today.,though it looked like we were going to it a few times.,looks like it could now,.,pretty dark out there..,best2all

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3877 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

Then a little after noon the concrete is coming for the little tractor garage/ telescope parking building...  right now it looks just like yours Scott.  Did another round of compacting this morning and put the mesh in.  Using 4000 lb mix, hopefully it will outlast me.

Mike when you formed up for the slab, did you place a lot of braces to prevent the forms from bulging? What sort of spacing? I've been delayed on the pour, I'm hoping for this weekend coming. Spent the morning doing the final leveling on the forms, and taking out the wave from them. Now I need to brace them.

After that, the fun stuff; lay down some conduit from the pier to the eventual warm room, insulation, then rebar, then the concrete itself.

Maybe by Christmas...

Edited by Scott123, 19 September 2020 - 05:29 PM.

• Greyhaven likes this

#3878 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:56 PM

I have the 120 out.,getting ready for dark..No nap.,yawning away.,need that cool air.,gonna be a good one I hope.,best2all.,

• Greyhaven and musicengin like this

#3879 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Looked good last night whenI went out at 10. This old man spent the day cleaning up the gardens and rotor-tilling the organics and some wood ashes back into the soil. Our harvest was just so so this year, but worth the effort. Then I tackled  the plastic shed getting a few winter tools out and into the garage and a bunch of what was my son's stuff that  he had thrown into the shed when he started cross country trucking five years ago. Trash men better bring an extra truck. That left me with no reserves of energy for last night. The Moose is back on the farm, so I had no need to do my predawn astro-inspection tour. One of my  more welcomed Moose related activities. I'm afraid The Moose is approaching his last days...he's wearing out.... has a hard time getting to his feet and even on our short walks collapses and has to wait a while until he is able to continue home. 15 years is quite old for a Lab/mix so I had to let his owner, the trucker, know he could loose him at any time.

Lady Elaine is talking about taking a leaf peeping ride the1st week of Oct. I'll bet it has been 10 years since I've been out for a day of "Peeping" other than just in the neighborhood. We'll head for Rangeley, New Hampshire has too many flatlanders on the road for it to be relaxing. Stay well and safe in our colorful Kingdom.

Grey 

• clearwaterdave likes this

#3880 Mike96

Mike96

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Scott...  We had some old oak grade stakes and some rebar pieces we anchored the form boards with and then once we checked them for straight with a string I also put some fill up against the outside of them.  When you're first pouring it can put quiet a bit of pressure on them.  My primary job when we were doing the pad was to go around the edges with a rake tamping it to make sure it filled in well all around.  When I stripped the forms I was proud to see nice clean edges and no rat holes.  I did good!  I did do some of the floating but other than that I was more of a spectator  :-)  We've got the front and back walls up and I may frame another one this afternoon.  My son in law was showing off his "modern workplace" tools..  No air hoses or extension cords, no generator...  Even the chop saw was battery...  he said it will do 500 cuts on a charge, the nailers are all rechargeable too.  I don't know how many times I've had those small 3/8 air hoses mysteriously form a loop around my foot and trip me up!   Forgot to say, about every 2 feet on the bracing

No viewing here last night...  between busy day with company, cold wind and us having a couple of grandkids spending the night it wasn't in the cards.  I did check the skies about 10:00 and I was surprised how little "twinkling" there was.  I believe it would have been nice viewing if you stayed out of the wind.  Friday night the skies were nice and clear but lots of winking and blinking.  I think the refractor is coming inside to its window this week...  I think the Onesky will be my outside scope for the season...  yup, it's home 

Edited by Mike96, 20 September 2020 - 06:44 PM.

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3881 Mike96

Mike96

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

My daughter in law was up in Rangeley yesterday and looking at the pics from the Height of Land there's still a lot of green in the leaves although a friend that has a camp in Kennebago said he is seeing some good color there?  dunno.  As dry is it is it's hard to say.  From our farm lot we look out over Jersey Bog wildlife area and the swamp maples are all red...

• musicengin and Scott123 like this

#3882 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

We are still mostly green.,I only stayed out a half hour.,too tired without a nap.,gonna make sure to take one today.,scope is still out.,.

The wood cutters are almost done on my trees.,He did say he can do more for me if I want.,He will be here a few months on my neighbors piece.,

Here are some before and after shots.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200917_090328.jpg
  • 20200919_100730.jpg

• Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3883 Mike96

Mike96

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

Nice looking haircut Dave.. some sky you haven’t seen in a spell.

#3884 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:13 PM

It is amazing,.It seems brighter overall without a wall of tree's right next to the yard/house.,

The poor birdies wondering where their trees went.,hated to see the cherry tree go.,they liked the little cherries.,

My son interrupted my nap before it got started.,Getting the coffee going now.,

The 120 is ready.,been looking at the cresent moon.,can see it an extra 2hrs. now at tonight's height.,cool beans indeed.,

Loving these nights.,best so far in 2020 for me anyway.,Hope I'm not alone enjoying the view tonight in the kingdom.,,best2all.,

• Greyhaven, musicengin and Scott123 like this

#3885 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:21 AM

Well it was a very nice night here..coydogs singin away.,The milkyway was very bright.,I mostly used a 2",25/70.,and just slowly scanned.,I took a few coffee breaks.,but for the most part I spend about 2 1/2 hours with my eye to the eyepiece.,A great time was had by all.,Between Cas. and Cyg. there is just too many stars to count.,lol.,

• Greyhaven, BFaucett, musicengin and 2 others like this

#3886 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

My sister inlaw told me the 90mm Meade ota is arriving here Wed along with some audio books.,It's like christmas .,.They are going to test the mount.,see if it makes any noise with batteries.,too much fun.,

I had my nap today so I will be eyein the sky again tonight,.I may put a dob out.,on the side.,This has been a heck of a run of clear nights.,

The woodcutters didn't show today.,He said their other skidder was goin to the shop so that may be why.,They should be done with me for now after one more day.,

Best2all.,enjoy the views.,

• Greyhaven, musicengin and Scott123 like this

#3887 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

I didn't get out till 1:30.,slipped in another little nap.,Up at 1.,got a cup hot and hit the deck.,

Just the 120 and a handful of ep's.,Got a few fuzzies around Peg.,.,no not Miss Peg.,.then turned to the NE for a lookzy at Cas.,and Aur.,finding little clusters to zoom in on w/ the baader.,sweeping with a 2" 25/70.,This is a great ep for this scope giving 40x and 1.75* fov.,

Last up was Mars and the sisters.,Mars was sharp enough for an achro at just over 100x but nothing but an orange ball.,The sisters were lovely as always with a dark sky.,

It was a nice morning to be out.,glad I made it.,best2all.,

more sky.,lol.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200917_090334.jpg
  • 20200922_123330.jpg

• ArizonaScott, musicengin and PeterGunn like this

#3888 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

This is from my chair this morning.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200922_082739.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, musicengin and 1 other like this

#3889 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

Well the trees in the swampy area across the road are just starting to show yellow and orange and the first serious frost gave my tender flowers the "The kiss of death" and even those robust sunflowers, I showed here recently, looked like those nodding donkeys out in the oil fields, so Me Lady decreed " Off with their heads!" 'Twas done with dispatch and the largest heads are hanging about the castle as they  dry. My heart felt heavy at the sudden absence of color when a thought floated gently into my mind. This was the result.

Grey 

pinwheel3web.jpg

pinwheel2.jpg

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#3890 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

Grey, I like your splashes of color! I will have to try that, especially as the environment turns brown, then gray.

On another note, I am have concrete delivered this Saturday. I have one helper lined up, and a tentative helper. I made a list of what I need to do before then, it is getting whittled down.

Scott

#3891 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:58 AM

Very nice Gray.,I am a lover of whirlygigs.,I used to have my yard full of them in all sizes of fish.,Now this is the only on left.,

The first load goin out.,I want to ask Sam where my tree's are going.,paper or bio mas.,

I was greatful for a night off.,lol.,I need some regrouping of my observing needs.,New skies are on the horizon.,fall constellations and skies getting dark earlier.,My observing platform is liking the new westerly views.,but it is in need of severe yard maintainance.,the lilac an berry bushes are trying for a takeover as can be seen in the gig pic,.cheers.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200923_084258.jpg
  • 20200923_082106.jpg

#3892 Scott123

Scott123

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:14 PM

Much brighter this evening than last evening! When I get home I change into work clothes, and putter around my observatory project until it's too dark to see.

The quarter moon, Jupiter, and Saturn made a pretty picture. The Moon isn't bright enough yet so I can stretch my work day. Soon.

Scott

#3893 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

I put the 102 out for a peek at luna and the straglers before real dark.,High power was with Meade 5.5/82.,still sharp but wavy .

The 90mm arrived and I think there is an issue with the objective,.will post pics if I can get it to show.,Definitly a low quality.,.you're paying for the electronics package.,The plastic is everywhere.,the finder mount is a "this scope only".,and broke.,lol.,I'll pull the lens and see what I see.,.

Now.,back out to the stars.,A 28/68 and the Baader zoom.,

More yard pics.,The great wide open.,a new view of the kingdom.,.

edit.,not a great comparsion.,will get a few better shots tomorrow.,.lol.,who hired this guy.,

the tallest of trees in the last pic are all gone.,My southern horizon got lowered at least 5*.,SE to SW.,From SW to W it went down about 35* .,yessir.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200923_135141.jpg
  • 20180717_195819.jpg.jpg
  • 20200730_192023.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 23 September 2020 - 09:10 PM.

• ArizonaScott, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3894 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

I stayed out till 12.,mostly pointing between Cas.,an And.,.,lots of small clusters to zoom in on.,

Man is the ground dry.,out in the woods the dirt is cracked apart like a dried out mud pond.,When the tree's come crashing down a plumbe of dust comes up.,

There are a few small tree's left in the yard which when cut will open things up a lot more for my view from my recliner,.edit.,They are falling as we speak.,.lol.,.

I estimate our clearing in the woods where the house sits went from 3/4 of an acre to 3 acre's.,glad it doesn't need mowin.,lol.,Anyone else gettin some startime.,best2all.,

All the trees along the treeline that you can see the trunks of will be gone shortly.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200924_082325.jpg

• ArizonaScott and Greyhaven like this

#3895 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:02 AM

Aw! come on Dave the JD is just born to turn that into a bit of lawn/garden after all Lawn and Garden is its middle name.  Keep that forest dust away from your lens nasty stuff. Sorry to hear about your doubts on the quality of the Meade.... not surprised, but sometimes tinkering just doesn't work. Like polishing a lemon...still a lemon. Take comfort in the knowledge, you can't make it worse. Stay busy in the Kingdom.

Grey

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#3896 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

I'm gonna put out a sign.,Free stumps and tops.,U-pick.,I should go to town but it just seems like too much work.,I think I'm getting tired just watching these guys work.,.lol.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200917_090328.jpg
  • 20200924_094737.jpg

• PeterGunn, Scott123 and Mike96 like this

#3897 Mike96

Mike96

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

At the price of logging equipment those guys don’t take many coffee breaks.  Their only breaks are when equipment breaks and then a lot of them do their own wrenching.   

No skies for me tonight... too pooped.  Finished the roof on my building today.  Just have caps to put on in the morning and hang my entry door.  Next week I’ll have some crushed gravel delivered and grade everything out the start puttering on the siding.

Edited by Mike96, 24 September 2020 - 07:18 PM.

• Greyhaven and Scott123 like this

#3898 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:28 AM

Mike some pic's would be nice..I'd like to see your set up on your new observing pad.

I offered him $50 to cut the lilac bush,.he laughed.,said keep my money.,the bush will be cut if I like.,He said I have to remember though.,like the tree's.,they can cut em down.,but they can't stand em back up again.,lol.,

I told my son.,Now I can see the darn clouds way the heck off in the distance.,It is really strange to have this big sky view.,I guess I'll get used to it.,I hope when I do I still like it.,cause like he said.,they can't stand em back up.,lol.,

We got about 7 minutes of rain yesterday.,not quite enough to top off the well..Hopfully we will get some more this weekend.,best2all

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200527_194801.jpg

#3899 Vince_Maine

Vince_Maine

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

Howdy folks, hope all is well! 

I haven't checked in for a bit; been busy managing the collapse of my event photography business over these last few months. Decided to pivot, and have returned to college to pursue a degree.

ANYways. I have been really enjoying my summer with my vintage Vixen C80, but have noticed of late that the view just isn't as nice as when I purchased it in the spring. Not really sure whats happening, but I would love to meet up with someone during a steady dark night and look at some planets together to get another opinion. 

Anyone interested in lending me their knowledge? I am happy to come to you, and will totally respect social distance rules, and will sanitize the parts of my scope before you touch it. With Mars nearing its peak and all, I just wanna try and get the best view I can. 

Spherical Abberation seems to be getting worse, and some weird diffraction spikes seems out of control. But I don't want to label visual issues incorrectly, which might lead to irrelevant strategies to improve...thus the hopeful get-together. 

#3900 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hello Vince.,been wondering how you were doing.,

In response to your concerns about the view I wonder if something.,.diagonal.,objective.,eyepiece maybe got dirty.,.Or did you thump it.,It seems odd it would "all of a sudden" act up.,Where as something could have gotten dirty quite easily.,and not be easily seen naked eye.,Look closely at the diagonal.,is everything right.,flat where it should be.,I'm just guessing here for sure.,Look through the ota front to back.,then back to front.

I am always here,.and company is always welcome.,my expertise is lacking but I have a similar scope and others you can look through to see if it's your scope or your eye's.,

PM me if you want to venture up this way.,I'm closer than the overlook.,but not quite as dark.,look forward to hearing from you.,Davy.,

• Vince_Maine likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics