•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
5263 replies to this topic

#376 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

hm.,What size bino do you have.,I can see you laid out on the hood of the car.,back on the windshield.,head tilted up.,Cactus in the background.,:).,I ended my night with the mounted 15x70 bino just scanning around the upper virgo area.,lots of stars.,

#377 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maine

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

We managed to get out last night to look at Jupiter. The GRS was clearly visible and we saw a moon slip behind the planet (very cool). We even managed to find that comet in Bootes. 

The club has a 6 inch Jaegers achromat refractor that put up some nice views of Jupiter. 

B

14ca5435-635a-49ac-99b4-35c1be15e010_zps

• clearwaterdave likes this

#378 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

I saw that moon as a pimple on the side.,in my 3"F/11.,w/a 25mm TV plossl.,very cool.,I put in a zoom after to verify what I thought I was seeing.,The old Meade gives a much better planet view then the Celestron,102/F6.5.,but the 6.5 shows a much brighter "view of the sky",.I had them both out last night.,side by side practicing star hopping with a correct image and a mirror image.,
  • bmurphy495 likes this

#379 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

That's a heck of a scope.,I just saw the pic.,That looks like a nice site.,
  • bmurphy495 likes this

#380 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

That's a heck of a scope.,I just saw the pic.,That looks like a nice site.,

Yes it's quite dark there. There is some skyglow from Gardiner and just plain old light pollution from everyone, but it's significantly darker than my house in the Augusta area. There is no porch light or direct lighting pollution, just our little observatory light.

The scope is in need of an upgraded focuser, but it put up good views. I'm not sure what the focal ratio is but it's slower than my Skywatcher 120 in the background. 

B

#381 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hm- taking the time to just get out, have a destination or maybe no destination but getting out into the quiet is worth more than money. Haven't done much here but I think that I will be out tonight. Thank you for the comment on my back... it is improving. I think... I might be getting old! Grrrrrr.....

#382 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Man all you guys have been having a better than me! Glad someone has been out though. I am gong to go out tonight and  do some peeking. Nice looking scope there bmurph.

#383 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

We had thunder and lightning here.,great lightning show,.the clouds never parted.,It's looking good for tonight and tomorrow night.,chilly but clear.,We shall see.,or not.,:)
  • Greyhaven and bmurphy495 like this

#384 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

We had the same here. Not that great of a light show but there was some. Lots of haze before the storms and the viewing was not worth it and then came the other stuff. Yeah, tonight looks pretty good and tomorrow night the same. My back is much better and I can say that I am darned glad about that. I know that I will out tonight and tomorrow but man, the black flies here are deadly this year thanks to all the snow that we got. The only thing that is good for the moment about the little flying demons is that they are not out in the dark. The mosquitoes of course will make up for that later on in the spring.

I hope that you get out there tonight Dave and anyone else reading this. Its looking pretty nice so far!

#385 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

I wonder how the rest of you guys fared... last night here was a bust. We brought out the scopes and set them up and after five minutes of nice skies things started to go pear shaped. High clouds began to roll in and a soupy haze. Jupiter looked like a street light in London at midnight while a thick fog bank rolls in. All of the stars disappeared in one fell swoop. We went in after awhile. Tonight looks a lot better though. At least I am hoping that tonight will be better. I think that it will be just the Dob out tonight. I am lazy and don't think that I am up to lugging out the goto. Have a good evening folks and I hope that everyone gets some good views.

#386 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Viking 1

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:22 AM

CMAS had a great night at the Damariscotta River Assn.  

B

DRA205.21.1720No.1_zpsdgfmuofl.jpg

#387 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

I had a great night here.,Fri.it was good till midnite.,last night was clear all night.,I called it quits at 1am.,just having my first coffee.,My eyeball was to tired to enjoy the milkyway when it showed up.,A few peeks though.,I left the scope for a bit at 1 thinking I'd rest and go back out.,After dozing a bit I brought the scope in and went to bed.,:).,lots of K+M spectrum stars in Vir,Lib,+Sco.,
  • bmurphy495 likes this

#388 Gert K A

Gert K A

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Just sayin’!  I’m not from Maine.. not even from the US
Ive been following this tread with undivided pleasure.
The day to day progress and the engagement what an absolute delight.

Inspiring.. Just sayin'

-Gert

Edited by Gert K A, 22 May 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#389 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi Gert.,Welcome to the "Maine Adventure".,Glad you have enjoyed the show.,We are mostly yahoo's with scopes.,Though I'm a bit on the "dashing side".,or so I've been told.,:).,How are your skies??.,What do you like to view??.,

#390 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Psst... Dave... fellow Mainers and other fellow posters here... they are watching what we are typing. They are watching us right now and they aren't even from the US. That's a lot of pressure on here for this tiny little post to perform. Dashin' Dave over there is gonna get stage fright and me I'm gonna break a leg. Literally, I'm sure, with the way my lucks going. First the flu, then the back and next will be the leg! Ah yes... welcome Gert! We are indeed Yahoo's with scopes but a friendly group of them. Thanks for saying hello and jump in any time! 

Cheers!

Sean

• bmurphy495 and clearwaterdave like this

#391 hm insulators

hm insulators

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

hm.,What size bino do you have.,I can see you laid out on the hood of the car.,back on the windshield.,head tilted up.,Cactus in the background.,smile.gif.,I ended my night with the mounted 15x70 bino just scanning around the upper virgo area.,lots of stars.,

My binocs are just plain old 10X50 binoculars; just some cheap ones I got at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store for about 30 bucks. 

Glad you guys were able to get out some. I would have also enjoyed watching the lightning show. The time for that here in Arizona is drawing near.

#392 Gert K A

Gert K A

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:46 AM

Hi Gert.,Welcome to the "Maine Adventure".,Glad you have enjoyed the show.,We are mostly yahoo's with scopes.,Though I'm a bit on the "dashing side".,or so I've been told.,smile.gif.,How are your skies??.,What do you like to view??.,

Be careful.. We certainly listen wink.gif

Me myself have a much slower learning curve I get to actually observe around only once a month and feel like a novice even after years in this hobby.
I live in the center of Copenhagen and go to my darksite (country home) approximately twice a month
and spend time with my gear when the weather allows. That said its quite dark there I got a clear milky way,

the Orion nebula knock me off my socks. (I did not yet get around to measure how dark it is but its plenty good for me)

The consequence of all this is though that my progress is slow.

So for this reason also, I get a trill out of soaking up you guys experiences second hand.
Thanks for that.. Now get on with it lol

Edited by Gert K A, 24 May 2017 - 04:55 AM.

#393 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

Who got starlite last nite.,,I was out starhopping with the 102 armed with a 2"mirror diagonal/36mm ep.,I'm still reversing things in my head.,When I finally stopped for a stretch it was 1am.,Talk about lost in the sauce.,:).,lots of fun though.,Not sure how many times I had a "Where'd I go" moment.,and had to start over.,3hrs. and I probably covered all of 8sq. degrees of sky.,:).,But no star went unobserved.,

#394 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Wow, those guys from Denmark are quite bossy... wink.gif

Dave... last night here sucked. Plain English. I gave up after a couple of hours of playing peek a boo with EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING in the night sky. So I did what any real man would do... I went in and cried and sulked. Glad you had fun though! At least someone did. 

#395 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Well I guess this rain is on me.,I ordered a few more atlas's this week.,Hopefully they will arrive and the rain will stop.,and they won't be out dated by then.:).,This pic shows the page size between U2000 and the pocket atlas.,the penciled square below Arcturus is the area in the sky on the opposite page.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170525_195711.jpg

• DHEB likes this

#396 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:40 AM

Well the sun is on me then as I am selling my astrophotography set up so that should keep the rain at bay for a bit.  I am looking at going in a different direction for a while. The fella on CN that purchased my set up should be pretty darned happy when he gets it. Enjoy the sun folks! It's really nice out right now. I'll be taking my last view of saturn tonight in the APO. I think I've got a tear in my eye. 

Dave-  just hoooow many charts have you been ordering? You're gonna have more charts than sky shortly!grin.gif journals, charts, and apps oh my. Hope you and wife are doing well sir. Catch you soon.

#397 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

Well there goes my chance to look through an APO.,No one else will come to visit me.,:).,I'm hoping the clouds will thin out by dark.,I want to try the 102 with a 2" verses 1.25" set-up.,see which one feels best.,I'll poke around in Serpent Caput if the skies allow.,Lots of nice doubles there., I got 4 more atlases.,Two with color charts.,I need to stay away from the book forum,and that Woods guy.,:).,cheers.,

#398 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Oh man, way to lay on the guilt trip Dave! I don't really want to sell it anyway and I am already having sellers remorse as it is and you are not helping matters! Well, it won't be the last APO for me. I am not going to do much in the imaging department for awhile so I think that I am going to get a big Mak 180mm and a smaller mak and an Altaz mount. Have you used one of those before?

In all seriousness,I have decided that the setup that I have, based on the area that I can really view from at my house, is too narrow of a view to be able to image long enough to be productive. Sooooo the weight of the system etc is not helping matters at all since I am going to have to travel to image. Darn all you folks out there with huge swathes of sky! I digress. So for imaging I want to stay light and easy to move so I am going to hunt for a smaller set up for wide field with a smaller scope (AT72 or the new 60), ccd camera, and much lighter mount all running through a laptop. The cg5gt is a beast and since I have to travel to get the sky I want I don't want to fight it anymore. Other people have better places to view than I do. So there!!! That's my defense Dave, now stop rubbing it in! I have been cradling my APO since the guy said he would buy everything including the DSLR and I haven't slept or eaten... it is awful. You gonna give me complex here. bawling.gif 

Oh and yeah... stay away from the books for awhile! You sir, are cut off. No more books Davey until you read the ones you already bought.wink.gif

Hope you are doing well up there. Catch you soon. I will be taking a last look at Jupiter and Saturn tonight with the APO. It is gonna be hard. If it was a Tak or an AP I would have already been committed to a mental institution I think as the ES is bad enough.

#399 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

I have looked through a large Mak/or Cat I don't know which it is.,at the UMF Observatory.,I'm not sure if I would get along with the narrow FOV.,I like my frac's.,The clear sky chart says from 10pm to 3am there will be cloud cover.,before and after are clear skies.,What's with that!!.,I'll be ready.,Just in case,.,I hope it stays clear for your goodbye party.,

#400 Mainemaksutov

Mainemaksutov

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Well that's why I am not sure that I'm gonna like it either... and I am looking at other "toys"

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics