•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
4878 replies to this topic

#4501 Scott123

Scott123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 27 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

My wife and I have started cleaning up the yard. There are a lot of sticks and branches exposed after the snow melted. Still too wet to rake, of course.

I checked out the observatory slab, looks OK after its first winter. I must call the sawyer and see when she can mill out the the lumber I requested.

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave and Mike96 like this

#4502 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

I’ve got some building projects I would like to tackle this spring, but at this point all things are on hold.  You were wise to make your arrangement for lumber ahead of time Scott.  Holy cow materials are crazy prices if you can get them.  I got a taste of it last fall putting up my building. $7 studs and $30 sheathing plywood...  Made me think I should have sanded it all down and stained and varnished like furniture.  It’s a bubble and things will settle down I hope.  My son in law has a project that’s half finished on a camp for a guy that’s been stopped for 6 weeks waiting for the windows.  I’m happy with my building though.  I have the Onesky and associated table and stool down there already.  When things dry out the crushed gravel pad area will get a 10x16 cover of pavers I bought used a couple of years ago.  Guy pulled them up because his wife wanted brick.

• ArizonaScott, clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#4503 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 March 2021 - 03:41 PM

Sure glad I built the Cider House when I did. Considering I spent $19.00 for a single 2" X 10" X 8' today she would cost me $3000. to replace. Lady Elaine has set a challenge for Himself this Spring mostly paint and paper and freshen up the kitchen and cabinets.  My granddaughter the welder visited Thursday and while she was here she sketched up the new avatar I'm sporting. My best to all.

Grey

• ArizonaScott, Scott123, Mike96 and 1 other like this

#4504 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:10 PM

Looks like a hot date for SpongeBob.,,Square Peggy,.,lol,.

So my mail person " stimulated " me today.,.Thank you future taxpayers.,I promise not to waste more than 76% of it.,or so.,

I'm still smiling about the Orion,. I feel like I just got another scope.,I go out and give it a little spin every once in awhile.,.Before it stopped moving immediately after a little push,.,now I bet it could do two 360's,.,Mon.is forecast for clear and blustery.,be good to see if the wind moves it.,otherwise the weather looks pretty poor for the week ahead.,

Mike,.  Like to see some pics of your spot.,I'm thinking about a pier in the yard to put an eq mount on.,but in another area I have some brambles to defeat first.,and I need to move the birdfeeder.,Best2all.,

The hummers are on their way.,cool.gif ,.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190510_194953.jpg.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Mike96 and bumma like this

#4505 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

I bet you’re anxious for first light on the tuned up dob Dave.  a little disappointed in action with the OS last week.  It works ok for me on lower powers but when I crank it up it’s a little sticky and difficult for me to move smoothly.  I think more my age and miles a problem than the machine.  Still looking at adding to the fleet here with some automation rather than trusting some old man to aim the thins right!  

sure like to see some of the configs of some of the fancy options in person but last I knew there weren’t many places left to shop this stuff that way any more.

I will try to get a pic of the mower/telescope building.  I ended up putting a garage door rather than the swinging barn doors I built.  It will be much better.  I still have to build the returns on the eves and a couple more trim pieces but my fingers were getting pretty cold last fall.

• clearwaterdave, Varsch and bumma like this

#4506 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2021 - 12:20 AM

Mike Have you tried bar soap on the pads on the OS.,it helps smooth things out a bit.,I put a spring under the center on mine that holds the upper assembly up off the pads till I tighten up on a wingnut.,this helped the most for the AZ movements.,I can have it barely touch the pads and tighten to my liking for stiction.,

For the ALT I put soap on the surfaces that moved against each other.,Keeping it well balanced helps a lot as well.,

Are you looking for a go-to mount for the TV.?.,Another option other than shopping is clubs if this covid ever let's us play together again.,Best2all in the kingdom.,Happy Maine Maple Sunday.,

• bumma likes this

#4507 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:06 AM

Up yet Dave?  You were burning the midnight oil!  Yup on the soap... being a bit of a woodworker always got some on hand.  I think it probably moves as well as it could, it’s more the actuator that’s the issue.  Since the stroke I’m a little herky-jerky and the left hand doesn’t coordinate well with the right.... so if I have it rotated in the rings to view from the left side I’m guiding more with my wonky left hand.  I do pretty well till I get an eyepiece in the low teens or lower and that isn’t often with that scope.

Putting the Televue on a goto mount is one of the options, the other is buying a package sct or something like that and possibly sell the Televue later.  I’ve got too many other distractions to hold on to a collection.  The NP101 has me kinda hooked because looking through it gives me the striking sharpness my old pair of Zeiss Binos does...  I know it’s probably in my head but I feel like I need to use less power to see more.

probably driven by both my love of gadgets combined with some physical challenges there’s an urge toward having a system I can do remote viewing and some AP while sitting inside in a warm comfortable chair.  I’m conflicted though..  I keep having the old guy feeling that I need to simplify my life.  My wife tells me when you already too deep in a hole, stop digging! :-). I’m not that smart

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#4508 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:02 AM

I am,.I am always up at midnight.,and again at 4am.,if I even sleep at all in between,.I have diaper duty every 4hrs.,24/7/365,.Its a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.,lol.,It's been 7yrs.now so I am running on auto pilot,.I haven't slept more than 3 ,1/2 hours in a looong time.,most of those hours in my recliner.,hence the daytime naps.,gotta take it when I can.,

I remember the Onesky right out of the box an it wasn't bad.,but things change when you start upping the power thats for sure.,It got me tweeking it before too long.,I even replaced the pads with furniture slides.,not sure how much they helped since the spring was holding everything up off of them.,I also found a two handed grip helps move it steadier at higher mag's.,and I use the " joy stick" if it's not pointing straight up.,this works very well for me with very fine adjustments.,I like to tinker so I end up trying and changing setups all the time.,some times the things I try don't work.,some things I should have just left alone cause it was working.,.Life in the slow lane.,best2all,.

• Mike96 and bumma like this

#4509 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:35 AM

The rain has just let up here,.been coming down pretty steady all night.,The forecast still looks clear and blustery for tonight,.

There were 4 deer in the yard Saturday evening,.Nice to see them out and about,.also nice that the snow is gone and I can get to the birdfeeder.,waytogo.gif ,.I'm very glad this was not a heavy wet snow., Best2all,.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210327_183227.jpg

#4510 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:57 AM

looks like tough sleddin' in Industry too...   no deer down back of the house for a couple of months.  I think they found easier feed across the river where they have been chopping.  Nothing better than some tops just laying there for the munchin.

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#4511 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:27 AM

Yes.,one of the things snow is good for.,that and keeping your beer wicked cold..,

The ice is coming away from the edge in the pond.,Be hearing the peepers soon enough.,If they don't get blown over to New Hampshire .,.

Just had a pair of Ravens go by.,Hard to tell if they were playing or struggling in the wind.,I'd bet they're playing.,

I'm still hoping to get the Orion out for a little test run tonight.,Best2all 

• Scott123 and bumma like this

#4512 Scott123

Scott123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:10 PM

I asked my mechanic, "What's wrong with my vehicle?"

He replied, "The engine is shot." I felt bad. Then I felt worse when I remembered I was at the bike shop.

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave, Mike96 and 1 other like this

#4513 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:33 PM

I have been thinking of getting a bike.,I need to exercise more but I don't like just walking.,I will have the wood to move but it will not take long.,I hope.,

I have a 6'x12' area that was going to be a sauna.,between the woodshed and the house.,Now it's storage for tools and cardboard boxes.,I'm going to clear it out and put 3 cords in there.,That will give me room for 6 cords inside and plenty of room for the geni and other stuffs.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210329_173157.jpg

#4514 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:14 AM

Got out tonight to test the Orion.,I can move it in AZ just by leaning my head against the eyepiece.,.lol  worked great.,

In reality it is still a bit to smooth still but that can be fixed.,Very happy camper here.,.

Got a few luna pics.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210330_020236.jpg
  • 20210330_020439.jpg
  • 20210330_020502.jpg
  • 20210330_020521.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, Scott123 and 2 others like this

#4515 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:12 AM

Looking good Dave...   I wonder in warmer weather with thermal expansion and friction change, will it get more free or tighten up some?

Been a little off the last couple of days...  I think I had genuine side effects from my first Moderna vaccine shot. Runny nose and chilled.  Better this morning so far.  Power was out here a couple of times yesterday in the wind..  thankfully I had plenty of time in between to reset clocks, boot up PCs and radios and only half cook my lunch.

#4516 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:14 AM

I am going to town today and will pickup some 2sided tape to attach the stiction pads better and maybe try something else for it.,I'll see once I get it apart again.,.The scope is still out ready for tonight.,.clear dark skies says it will be ok.,poor seeing. 

• Scott123 likes this

#4517 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:54 PM

I put the foam on all 3 of the pads with 2sided tape and it was way too gripping.,I took out one.,two had worked good before.,but now it was still too draggy.,??.,.When I first put the pads on I had the duct tape over the top of the foam pad.,With the 2sided tape the foam is contacting the underside and it doesn't slide like the tape.,So it is down to 1 foam pad.,no tape on top and I think it's ok.,lol,.I was able to track a plane pretty easily.,I will use it tonight for a while and see how it feels.,It is much better anyway so it will be fun to use.,Best2all.,

• Scott123 and bumma like this

#4518 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:58 AM

I played with my editing on my photo program and may have made this one a bit more contrasty.,What do you think? 

I also ordered another phone adapter.,The Celestron Nexyz.,.It has 3 adjustments Instead of 2.,and can be used on 1.25" or 2" eyepieces.,I am thinking Baader zoom and 102ed.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210330_150455.jpg
  • 20210330_020521.jpg

• Greyhaven, Scott123 and bumma like this

#4519 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:31 AM

Nice to see you playing with a bit of post processingwaytogo.gif The almost full Moon does not co-operate and needs contrast help.

Grey

#4520 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:46 AM

Hey Gray.,Where did Square Peggy go?.,She was wicked shaaap.,lol.,

#4521 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

Lots of rain coming,.Anyone remember the flood of 87.,That was an April fools day storm.,Keep your life jackets handy.,I got JD and the Buick tucked in the garage.,.

Yah.,They brought JD back without calling ahead.,I was in town and had to cut my errands short.,He texted me saying he's at my house.,He said the call ahead notice was hidden by the clip board. It cost me $120 to have them cart it..,and $112 to tell me nothing was wrong.,.lol.,I figured out how to fix it myself once they told me nothing was broke .,but I was a day late an 2 dollars short.,Ohh well.,could be worse.,I'm just glad it's home.,

Saturday night is looking good.,I will be ready  with the 102ed on Frank.,

The Orion is still too sticky in the Alt. movements.,It's ok to center something in the finder.,but in the eyepiece it's jerky.,I'm spoiled by Frank.,Plus after just 15min. my neck was burning. I really had to be aware of how I positioned myself at the eyepiece.,.,Do I hear $25,.,,$25,.lol.,best2all.,It just looks so good.,All shiny and big.,.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190418_161112.jpg.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Scott123, Varsch and 1 other like this

#4522 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

Hey Gray.,Where did Square Peggy go?.,She was wicked shaaap.,lol.,

Dave, I just wanted to share what gave me a smile a few days ago. I wanted to avoid anymore moderator or admin. comments about me having to hold myself to a higher standard because I am a former " green jacket" , after I added it I just decided that was not a" hill worth dying on", so I change it back.

Grey

• clearwaterdave likes this

#4523 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:06 AM

Next time I go to BurgerKing I'll get you a crown.,.Let see them whine about that.,lol.,

It stopped raining for a couple of hours but it's started back up now.,A good day to cuddle with your honey.,Best2all 

Edit.,I saw two Turkey Vultures  yesterday,.I also remembered that I had broken the Hummingbird feeder last fall.,and I was just at the Farmers Union.,.

Patches of blue showing.,sun rays enough to make shadows.,.Maybe go to town and finish my errands tomorrow.,Maybe Miss Peg will make me get a pizza.,.bow.gif ,.

Edited by clearwaterdave, 01 April 2021 - 03:01 PM.

• Scott123 likes this

#4524 CBM1970

CBM1970

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

Hi everyone.

I was recently invited to come and check out this group/thread by Clearwater Dave.  I live in Gorham and I've recently returned to observing the skies (with something other than my eyes) after a very long hiatus.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. It's good to have a local group to chat with, and it looks like you all have lots of experience!  I look forward to sharing the Maine skies with you. 

-Cloud (that's actually my name, but I take no responsibility for overcast conditions).

• Greyhaven, clearwaterdave, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#4525 Scott123

Scott123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Welcome, Cloud! We are always glad to see new members here!

• CBM1970 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics