•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
4587 replies to this topic

#4576 Mike96

Mike96

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

I was in my window this morning about 2:00 and was enjoying some nice crisp and contrasty skies to the sw working toward Leo.  Lots of things to gawk at.  I had to go get the tablet and Safari to get oriented..  a lot of the same sky I had fun with a week or so ago but at first I was a bit lost because last week I was seeing it early in the evening...  not the same!   I was using my 19 Panoptic Dave. Pretty happy with that.  I’ve got the 2” 27 Pan that works good but the 19 fits me better.  I would like to try the 24 mm.   One galaxy was big and bright.  Pretty sure it was M88.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#4577 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

No Panoptic today.,but I have been getting the mount together on the Celestron Omni tripod. It has 1.25" center post and tee.,then a 1"pipe on the scope side and 3/4" for the counterweight.,With a small vixen clamp and no counterweight it weights 11#.,

I was happy and surprised to find that this tripod goes down just as far as the  smaller wooden one does.,For daytime use it will be better short.,For startime it can be extended enough and it shouldn't be a problem seeing as the ota being so short and  petite.,cool.gif .,

I ordered a vixen clamp for it that was $25.,Otherwise the mount parts and tripod were already here.,waytogo.gif Now the wait.,

I may have to get some gold pin striping for the tripod and pipes.,

Edit.,It's looking good for tonight.,trans and seeing both above average.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210414_140219.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 14 April 2021 - 01:08 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#4578 Scott123

Scott123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

Woke up during the 'wee' hours, and had to stay at the windows for a few minutes, so beautiful out! Looks like clear skies this evening, too. Heard some owls, down in the woods, for a bonus.

#4579 robcac26

robcac26

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:52 PM

I will be in Maine next week and am bringing my telescope to hopefully take advantage of the much darker skies than what I have at home in light polluted NJ.  I've been having a hard time getting enough info to confidently plan this, so I was hoping some here could give me some advice.  I see Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is an International Dark Sky Sanctuary, but I know the park is not yet open for vehicular traffic and my 16" dob is too heavy to carry for long distances.  I'm guessing the next best thing would be to set up just outside the park, but there are tons of trees around.  Does anyone here know of a spot that has a wide enough opening to the sky and is away from any light pollution?  Doesn't have to be around Katahdin, I'm just assuming anywhere in that area would be the best.

If any of you have a suggested observing location, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it with me!  Additionally, if you know of a campsite close to a recommended observing location, that would be very helpful too.

#4580 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

I will be in Maine next week and am bringing my telescope to hopefully take advantage of the much darker skies than what I have at home in light polluted NJ.  I've been having a hard time getting enough info to confidently plan this, so I was hoping some here could give me some advice.  I see Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument is an International Dark Sky Sanctuary, but I know the park is not yet open for vehicular traffic and my 16" dob is too heavy to carry for long distances.  I'm guessing the next best thing would be to set up just outside the park, but there are tons of trees around.  Does anyone here know of a spot that has a wide enough opening to the sky and is away from any light pollution?  Doesn't have to be around Katahdin, I'm just assuming anywhere in that area would be the best.

If any of you have a suggested observing location, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it with me!  Additionally, if you know of a campsite close to a recommended observing location, that would be very helpful too.

Hello.,I can't help you with info about the  Katahdin area.,never been there.,Also.,It isn't really camping season yet up here so you'll be hard pressed to find camp grounds open.,We have 4-8" of snow in the forecast for this weekend.,lol.,Are you quarantining yourself before you come here.,I hope so,.

#4581 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

I've got the 127 mounted and ready.,Gonna be a busy night here in Industry.,lol.,It sure is taking a long time to get dark.,I'm starting with the ES68/20., 1.65°fov/41×.,I also will have the Baader zoom handy.,

So do you think I can use my mower deck to blow this snow comin out of the door yard.,.Won't my neighbors get a chuckle.,

One more cup of coffee before I go.,.Enjoy your night.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210310_151502.jpg

• BFaucett and CBM1970 like this

#4582 robcac26

robcac26

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:02 PM

Hello.,I can't help you with info about the  Katahdin area.,never been there.,Also.,It isn't really camping season yet up here so you'll be hard pressed to find camp grounds open.,We have 4-8" of snow in the forecast for this weekend.,lol.,Are you quarantining yourself before you come here.,I hope so,.

The Matagamon Wilderness campground mentions ice fishing and some other winter activities on their website, so I'm assuming at least they're open. I'll give them a call tomorrow.  According to Maine's website, I am exempt from quarantining due to being fully vaccinated.

Edited by robcac26, 15 April 2021 - 07:20 AM.

#4583 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:56 PM

The Matagamon Wilderness campground mentions ice fishing and some other winter activities on their website, so I'm assuming at least they're open. I'll give them a call tomorrow.  According to the Maine's website, I am exempt from quarantining due to being fully vaccinated.

Well I wish you luck up there,.I bet it's about as dark as dark gets.,

I came in at midnight.,I played around with a few different ep and the 68/20 was the best of the night for my eyes.,I tried the 68/28. 82/24.,.70/25.,and the 82/14. 

Not sure if I'll get out again or not.,it's pretty cozy in here,.

Edited by clearwaterdave, 15 April 2021 - 12:04 AM.

• Mike96 likes this

#4584 Mike96

Mike96

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

I haven't been up to Matagamon for probably 10 years but I think around the campground and the road up toward the lake and gate you can find quite a few places to set up that you can get a 180 type view but more than that might be tough.  There is a hill to the east of it out toward Hay Lake that was a clear cut ( I think to force hardwood regrowth) that had a nice open area on the top.  Problem being it's only a couple of miles by snowmobile but about 10 miles of driving on woods roads that are likely pretty scruffy if even open this time of year.  I'd leave the fly rod home for now...  good news is the bugs won't be as bad as a June visit!   black flies up there have a bad attitude and the skeeters are as big as a robin!

Edited by Mike96, 15 April 2021 - 08:43 AM.

#4585 robcac26

robcac26

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

I haven't been up to Matagamon for probably 10 years but I think around the campground and the road up toward the lake and gate you can find quite a few places to set up that you can get a 180 type view but more than that might be tough.  There is a hill to the east of it out toward Hay Lake that was a clear cut ( I think to force hardwood regrowth) that had a nice open area on the top.  Problem being it's only a couple of miles by snowmobile but about 10 miles of driving on woods roads that are likely pretty scruffy if even open this time of year.  I'd leave the fly rod home for now...  good news is the bugs won't be as bad as a June visit!   black flies up there have a bad attitude and the skeeters are as big as a robin!

Thanks!  I put a gray marker on the area I'm guessing you're talking about.  Do you know if that is correct?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 2.39.58 PM.png

Edited by robcac26, 15 April 2021 - 01:43 PM.

#4586 Mike96

Mike96

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

That should be about it.  I hadn't really looked at a map of the area in quite a while.  It may be a little deceiving going by that pic because the foliage isn't on the trees.  I was thinking about it and it was 16 years ago we were up on that hill and I would guess most of the cutting was at least 8 or 10 years before that.  Time flies...  Most of that area isn't going to be passable for a month.  The paper companies etc. are pretty touchy on folks going on their roads when the frost is coming out. 

Dave, I bet your son has stories about that kind of thing!  Things are funny up there.  We used to make an annual late March trip to Nugents camps on Chamberlain every year and seen all extremes, from pushing snow with the front bumper coming out  to mud holes that would half swallow your truck.  Most of Millinocket goes somewhere south in mud season if they can.  I hate to discourage you but this time of year up there if it's not paved it can be a problem.  Quite a haul into Matagamon when conditions are good.

We just sold our camp on Spring Lake (Flagstaff area probably 80 miles more south) and one of our neighbors up there sent me a picture of the road going in...  barely passable in places and that road is "somewhat " maintained by the State because its through a public reserve area.    Mike     getting old I'm getting to be such a pessimist.. 20 years ago it would have been "hold my beer, we're going in!"

• clearwaterdave and Scott123 like this

#4587 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted Yesterday, 03:20 PM

I'm happy to report that Panoptic arrived today well packaged and unscathed by the USPS.,I took a peek through my 70AZ at the birdies and it feels good and the views are good.,No big scratches in the glass.lol.,It is now packed in my ep case with my 2 other TV's.,,

I have the setup ready for the WO and gave it a test drive with an 80st,.Very smooth and stable.,virtually no settle time or shakes at higher powers.,waytogo.gif I can use just a 5#cw if I use a longer pipe on that side.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210416_150558.jpg

• Greyhaven and Mike96 like this

#4588 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Hope the spring mix of rain/snow was gentle on Industry and some clear skies are soon in your future. I've been blessed with a cold rain in-dispersed with snow flurries. Haven't even checked on when this pattern is due to change.  I did borrow my utility trailer back so I visited Tractor Supply to pick up some fertilizer and soil amendments to lighten up my native clay acreage. I'm going to try raising potatoes in a straw bed this year. I'm only putting down a small 5x20 foot section of spuds. I hope I have an easier time finding seed potatoes this year than I had last year. I also had my last post-op visit with the Vascular surgeon Thursday. He said my last sonograms showed no significant blockage and didn't need to see me for a year, the only negative was it looks like my weak raspy voice will most likely be my new permanent voice with improvement unlikely.hmm.gif  Better than assuming room temperature or any other stroke side effects. Best of luck with the new equipmentwaytogo.gif 

Grey                 

• Mike96 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics