•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Northeastern US (Maine) Discussion & Introductions

• Please log in to reply
6931 replies to this topic

#6926 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:17 AM

I am pretty sure this photo shows the area where I was parked near the Height of the Land my car is marked by the red arrow. Found this image on the nastynet.

Grey

HOTL2.jpg

HOTL3.jpg

• ArizonaScott, Scott123, Mike96 and 1 other like this

#6927 Mike96

Mike96

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Maine - Buckfield

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:46 AM

I don't think the Height of Land has seen that big of a crowd since two moose got caught doing the "naughty" by the parking lot in leaf season!  I still envy those that made the Totality...

• Matt78 likes this

#6928 Matt78

Matt78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:23 AM

I've never tried sharing a gallery on here. There are no images of the sun here, just what it was like at Sugarloaf on the day of. The other guy with a scope is a guy named Andrei from Boston, who was doing a citizen science project from NASA.

5:42 AM: Arrival at Sugarloaf Outdoor Center
Album: Total Eclipse 2024
11 images
0 comments

• ArizonaScott, Greyhaven, Scott123 and 1 other like this

#6929 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 12 April 2024 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your eclipse pics y'all, excellent images and it's always nice to put a face with the names! Her in Phoenix it was only about 40% percent but still had a nice view with the old AstroSolar film I picked up years ago from Draco Productions.

• clearwaterdave, Scott123 and Matt78 like this

#6930 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2024 - 12:53 PM

Glad to see a lot of people got to see totality. I wanted to go to Height of Land, but we’d heard it wouldn’t be plowed. We got tipped off that’s the outdoor center at Sugarloaf would be open for observing, but that most people were going to some kind of festival at the main slope. We were also offered use of a driveway 0.8 miles from it, so decided it was too good to pass up. There turned out to be plenty of parking on site for early birds, and less than twenty people viewed it there. We watched the partial phases through my new AT70ED, and totality with naked eyes only. It was all wonderful. Having bathrooms was also wonderful. It was a great time, worth leaving at 3:30 am for (7:30 would’ve been fine, hindsight).

Matt both of Height of the Land turnouts were ready for visitors. The Rangeley Lake Overview located on the opposite side of RT 17 was not plowed, but had a big crowd tramping through the snow and packing the snow down. The State Park was busy also. Many of the people from the cars where I parked chose to walk to the HOTL turnout so it must have been standing room only. I know many people find something like this is better when shared with other like minded individuals, but for me these things are better savored on a more intimate stage quietly internalizing the profound and delicate changes. Sure is nice knowing both types of observers had the ability to " Have it your way" down on RT 17. 

Grey   

Grey

• ArizonaScott, Scott123, Mike96 and 1 other like this

#6931 Scott123

Scott123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:38 PM

I found an old Criterion RV-6 Dynascope for sale in Milo, $60. If the mirror and motor were in good shape someone could buy it and sell it on Cloudy Nights. 

https://www.facebook...mibextid=kL3p88

#6932 Scott123

Scott123

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:10 PM

Time to switch the observatory solar panel from the Winter to Summer angle. 

• Greyhaven and Mike96 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics