•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New APM 100 90° Semi-Apo w/ Fork Mount Unboxing

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#1 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

On Dec 25th, I ordered a new set of 100mm 90° Semi-Apo binos with the new APM center mount which was would be available in two to three weeks. I decided to wait the two weeks to have both items ship together. On January 2nd, before my items shipped, I decided to cancel the center mount for fears it wasn't going to be sturdy enough and pay the extra $$ for the newly designed AMP fork mount. Both items were in stock and they shipped out this past Monday the 9th.

Today, four days later, I got home to find this in the living room

APM 100mm Binos-1.JPG

A smaller box tucked in the big box

APM 100mm Binos-2.JPG

and hidden in the popcorn, a big bubble wrapped thing

APM 100mm Binos-3.JPG

In the bubble wrap was this thing of beauty (sorry, I missed the focus a bit)

APM 100mm Binos-4.JPG

The mount is solid and beautifully machined. It's cool how the APM letters on each side are actually carved out of the metal. Nice handle and big, easy to grip knobs.

To be continued... I'm out of picture space.

Edited by rockethead26, 14 January 2017 - 12:26 AM.

• Vondragonnoggin, Herr Ointment, Stellarfire and 4 others like this

#2 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Part 2:

More pictures of the fork mount

APM 100mm Binos-5.JPG

APM 100mm Binos-6.JPG

APM 100mm Binos-7.JPG

The collimation test certificate ( I removed the last four digits of the serial number). The collimation was tested with a pair of 5mm Tak eyepieces.

APM 100mm Binos-9.JPG

To be continued...

• 3 i Guy, CounterWeight, Vondragonnoggin and 5 others like this

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Looks great Jim!

• rockethead26 likes this

#4 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Part 3:

The beautifully made binos. Boy, you do not realize how big these things are until you see them. I imagined it in my head, but wow!

APM 100mm Binos-10.JPG

From the front. Looking thru the front and out the eyepiece holders, I saw no prism cutoff, nothing but a round circle of light in the distance

APM 100mm Binos-12.JPG

A pic of the sliding plate. There is about an inch of front/rear adjustment possible to account for different eyepiece weights. The two threaded ends go thru holes in the mount and are secured with two hand bolts. The plate can stay attached to the binos, so mounting them is quick and easy.

APM 100mm Binos-13.JPG

The binos from the side. My Shapeways 3-D printed rings fit perfectly on the eyepiece lock rings. The 18mm APM Ultrawide EPs are in place.

APM 100mm Binos-15.JPG

Finally, from the top rear. I have a Stellarvue RDF to mount.

APM 100mm Binos-16.JPG

APM did a marvelous job on the mount. With just a touch of pressure from the tension screws in alt and az to keep the binos from moving too easily, the motions are incredibly smooth with absolutely jitter-free. No stickiness at the beginning of a move, it's like buttah!

It will be snowing all weekend, but after a couple of months of cloudiness here, there is hope in the forecast next week and I should get a chance to give them a quick test and I'll report back here.

Chao for now.

Edited by rockethead26, 14 January 2017 - 12:29 AM.

• Scott in NC, Illinois, Starman81 and 10 others like this

#5 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

Man...... that is an excellent setup

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations!, what tripod are you using?

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Congratulations!, what tripod are you using?

Thanks! Right now a Gitzo Carbon Fiber that I used with my 8x10 camera. It's rated at 25lbs, so it's very borderline. I'll use it for a while and see how it goes before I look at upgrading. The mount is so smooth, that it may work. A tap test takes about 4 seconds to settle when the binos are in the horizontal position looking at some neighbor's lights. There is almost no shake when panning and viewing with the eyecups against my face. Borderline may be the word.

• CounterWeight and Stellarfire like this

#8 ckwastro

ckwastro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

Beautiful binoscope!  I've been thinking about these or the 120s.  Looking forward to your first light report!

#9 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Great unboxing report, thanks for sharing!

Jim, in case you have a scale at hands - what is the actual weight of the APM fork mount?

Stephan

#10 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

Are these arrows scratch marks? could be from the collimation tool.

BTW, bright reflections of the coating :confused:

Funny one of the labels in your images reads '100mm non-ED 90 degree', I have the ED 45 degree version of this bino, aka:  '100mm non-fluorite ED 45 degree' :grin:

Garret

Attached Thumbnails

• pos.jpg

Edited by garret, 14 January 2017 - 03:28 AM.

• denis0007dl likes this

#11 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

Looks good! Now get yourself some tube clamps and put some handlebars on that baby! It makes a world of difference. 

post-664-0-76321300-1435777760.jpg

Edited by Mad Matt, 14 January 2017 - 04:54 AM.

• Starman81, CounterWeight, Vondragonnoggin and 6 others like this

#12 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Great unboxing report, thanks for sharing!

Jim, in case you have a scale at hands - what is the actual weight of the APM fork mount?

Stephan

Thanks, Stephan. I do not have a proper scale. My bathroom scale won't weigh less than about 25-30 lbs, my coffee scale won't weigh over 500g and my food scale won't go over 1 lb. I could try my old trick of weighing myself with and without the mount in my hands, but that's probably not very accurate.

• Stellarfire likes this

#13 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Funny one of the labels in your images reads '100mm non-ED 90 degree', I have the ED 45 degree version of this bino, aka:  '100mm non-fluorite ED 45 degree' :grin:

Garret

Garret,

The marks you see are the reflections from some streaks of glue on the lens cell. It looks glossy black when you look at it (probably clear), but catches lateral light. Don't know what effect that will have on views of the moon and other bright objects.

Odd about the name on one of the images. All the official file names are, for example, "APM 100mm Binos_1" with a subsequent sequential number which is what I see when I put my cursor over each image. Not sure what's happening on your end. Funny on the non-fluorite reference!

#14 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

Garret

Garret, The Reflective coating is to be expected for the price point....IMO.

What's not to be expected is the abbreviation/name you gave to the pic in post #10 (which you  resized and added arrows).  Not cool IMO.

Mike

Edited by junomike, 14 January 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• rockethead26 and Herr Ointment like this

#15 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

Looks good! Now get yourself some tube clamps and put some handlebars on that baby! It makes a world of difference. 

Matt,

I really like that idea. When I search the company's products in the link you provided in the other thread, a similar but different looking part comes up. I assume there are simply two screws on the bottom of that black piece which slide into the slot on the mount? I should be able to find something similar at the local hardware store. How are the red knobs attached to the aluminum tubing? Any machining required?

• Mad Matt likes this

#16 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

OK, I'm about ready to mount my SV RDF (Stellarvue Red Dot Finder) to the bino using the SV mount with stick tape. I can mount it in two places, to the top of the rear of the handle where the surface is curved matching the curve of the mount, or on one of the tubes of the bino itself. I see pics here on CN using both options.

Mounting it on the handle makes it a bit more awkward to pick up the bino, but not too difficult and makes it easier to just drop your head down from the eyepiece to look at the RDF. However, it's difficult to use both eyes trying to peer thru the gap in the eyepieces. Mounting it on the tube, off to the side a bit makes it easier to use both eyes, but requires more movement of the head.

Those of you that have mounted a RFD on your APM 100's, why do you prefer one over the other. With 45° versions, it's easier to see a low set finder mounted on the handle than with the 90° versions where the eyepieces stick up farther, so that may affect the decision.

I'm thinking I prefer the tube option for my 90° version. I guess I can always change it. It's just tape.

#17 Passerine

Passerine

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: California SF Bay Area

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

A Rigel QwikFinder sitting on the handle might stand up high enough to clear the eyepieces.  Just a thought.  You'd have to figure out some way to quickly attach/remove it.

Dave

#18 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

A Rigel QwikFinder sitting on the handle might stand up high enough to clear the eyepieces.  Just a thought.  You'd have to figure out some way to quickly attach/remove it.

Dave

Thanks, Dave, that's a good idea, but I have never been a fan of the Rigel unit. Plus, I already have a new SV unit.

#19 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

Highly practical accessory. Good job, Mad Matt. I think it's just a matter of time, till APM will offer handlebars for their fork mount. Did you suggest this idea to Markus?

Stephan

Edited by Stellarfire, 14 January 2017 - 03:01 PM.

• Mad Matt likes this

#20 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Excellent looking binoscope, congrats!

#21 Allardk

Allardk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Budapest Hungary

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

For reference to Kowa Hghlander Fluorite and APM 100-45 ED.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0011.JPG

• Rich V., rockethead26 and Stellarfire like this

#22 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

There are tube inserts with an M8 female tread also from Ganter. You can probably find sonthing locally.

No I did not mention to Markus. I can show him the mount of I see home this spring at the ITV.
  • rockethead26 and Stellarfire like this

#23 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

Garret

Garret,

It took until about an hour ago when I walked in front of the packaging from the binos and saw the "label" that you were referring to. I though you were talking about the photo labels. How funny. I get it now. Sorry I misunderstood. Your post makes a lot more sense now.

#24 Jeelan

Jeelan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

awesome looking setup Jim, hopefully u get to try them in clear skies very soon!!!

what are the eyepieces you're using?

cheers

jeelan 

#25 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

awesome looking setup Jim, hopefully u get to try them in clear skies very soon!!!

what are the eyepieces you're using?

cheers

jeelan 

Thanks. Mounted in the photos are the 18mm APM ultrawides that come with the binos. I also have pairs of: Pan 24, Denk LOA 21 (non-3D), APM UW 15 and Pentax XF 8.5 on the way. I also use binoviewers, hence the number of pairs.

• Stellarfire and RingsofSaturn like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics