•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXOS-2GT Information Thread...

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#301 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

Dale, I don't know if you saw this post when I had the same problem:

Still, I couldn't get the handset to save a custom location.I was hoping that with accurate coordinates the alignment would improve. ES sent me a new handset that they had confirmed  would accept a custom location. I was using the format in the Bresser manual of W---°-', N--°-', but it would not let me save it. Finally, I rounded off the latitude to N--° and dropped the minutes, and it worked.  This tightened up the initial slew to the alignment stars to within my 20mm 68°view eyepiece.

Good luck!

#302 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Finally, I rounded off the latitude to N--° and dropped the minutes, and it worked.  This tightened up the initial slew to the alignment stars to within my 20mm 68°view eyepiece.

I'm going to try that too!

#303 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:01 PM

.still no joy. May just return entire mount

If you can, I recommend it.  Saving a few dollars is not worth the trouble this mount creates.  As soon as I can save money for a new head, mine will be gone.  I'll keep the tripod.

I'm hoping to buy an iOptron head.  Hopefully it will fit.  Is there a 'standard'?

#304 Dale65

Dale65

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

Figured out problem was the language of location now it seems to be fine
  • mandopickr likes this

#305 Dale65

Dale65

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

What happened with me is i was using gps coords  like w120.80 instead of w120° 44'    it wants the hour and min coords  not gps 

#306 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

Please see our announcement in the Vendor Announcement Forum about our new Firmware Update Cable for the EXOS-2 GT GoTo EQ mount hand controller. This cable will allow you to update your firmware and use the connection to communicate with the mount using your PC with the included Bresser ASCOM driver.

https://www.cloudyni...able/?p=8939952

• Bcsbass and Dale65 like this

#307 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

And they said it couldn't/wouldn't B done  HA      

• Dale65 and CDallas32 like this

#308 xon432246

xon432246

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:22 AM

I am interested in this mount but can someone tell me does this come with 2" tripod legs or not. I get different answers from different vendors. If it doesn't, can it be ordered with them?

Thanks

#309 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

I am interested in this mount but can someone tell me does this come with 2" tripod legs or not. I get different answers from different vendors. If it doesn't, can it be ordered with them?

Thanks

Sorry, but it's not an easy answer.  The new version of the 'normal' Exos-2 tripod is 1.75".  If a vendor still has the 2", it's old stock.

I believe ES still sells the PMC-8 version with a 2" mount.

#310 xon432246

xon432246

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:00 AM

1.75" is fine but some vendors websites say the the tripod is 1.25".

#311 carlsonmjc

carlsonmjc

Explorer 1

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

Manufactures and Vendors seem to have a hard time keeping up with spec changes. I just came from the ES web site and it says the "First Light" EXOS 2 GT has 1.25 in steel legs. I am certain they are 1.75 in. Jerry, if you are out there you might want to look into that. Beware of any vendor that says 2 in legs as that was changed to the current 1.75in.

The EXOS PMC 8 has 2in legs.

Mark C

#312 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

HI Mark,

I will get that corrected.

Thanks

#313 orangeusa

orangeusa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

I bought a EXOS 2GT (the Bresser Goto, non-PMC-Eight) and it had 2" legs. Yes, I am certain. I measured.

BTW - The tripod mechanicals are awesome. The Bresser Goto, needs uhh, work..

I asked Bresser before I sent it back, and they said , no upgrade path.

So, I sent it back... UNFORTUNATELY, this came after I sent it back...

#314 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

I bought a EXOS 2GT (the Bresser Goto, non-PMC-Eight) and it had 2" legs. Yes, I am certain. I measured.

I bought the same thing from the same manufacturer.  1.75"  I measured.

#315 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Bresser version, non-PMC-Eight from before the ES partnership. Legs are 2" exactly with calipers. At the moment I can't recall where I bought it.

It seems there are several versions of the tripod in circulation.

#316 Gingerinthedark

Gingerinthedark

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:35 AM

I was wondering if someone might offer some advice.  I have been fighting this mount since I had first got it last year sometimes it seems to be ok and getting close to working.  Living in Indiana clear nights are few and far between.  Since I have issues finding any kind of set up info online I’m hoping from what I have read on here that maybe this will make it a little better.  With the hand controller I’m putting in correct time DST off my own custom site since nothing is listed anywhere close to me.  Now if I’m understanding I was putting in Long and Lat as GPS but if I’m reading correctly I need to do Log and Lat time instead.  When I’m trying to one star align I’m wayyyy off I have put in new batteries in controller to make sure and still the same issue.  Than when I’m trying to adjust and skew to try and find the star the mount skews really really slow, when it’s skewing to a star it’s moving fast.  I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong also when putting in Cords and long and Lat at the bottom it says W05 I. Not sure if this is correct since I’m not sure exactly what it’s referring to a zone?

#317 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:09 AM

When I’m trying to one star align I’m wayyyy off

Than when I’m trying to adjust and skew to try and find the star the mount skews really really slow, when it’s skewing to a star it’s moving fast.

when putting in Cords and long and Lat at the bottom it says W05 I. Not sure if this is correct since I’m not sure exactly what it’s referring to a zone?

(in order...)

Make sure your mount is level and your Polar alignment is good. I also recommend using a wide angle eyepiece.  My choice (because it's usually sooo far off) is a 40mm.  Another trick is to open up the motor clutches and manually move the scope where it should be.  Then close the clutches and continue fine tuning by slewing.

The slew speed when aligning is adjustable.  Just push a number on the keypad. 2 to 5 work well for me.

"W5" is telling you that it thinks you're 5 timezones West of GMT (England).  If the location information you've entered is correct, there's no need to change this.

If you look earlier into this thread, I've written a much more detailed post on how to align this mount.  Forgive me, but I don't know how to link to that.

• Gingerinthedark likes this

#318 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:11 AM

Has anybody tried the new usb adapter & firmware from Bresser/ES?  I'm curious to see if it's working better.

#319 xon432246

xon432246

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:43 AM

I had problems with the coordinates as well. GPS coordinates are not the rights ones. This is the format that worked for me. I live in Jacksonville,Fl.

W081 28

N31 15

W05

I got the info at https://www.latlong.net/

The first time I input the coordinates it would only take W081 00 and N31 00. After a few tries I was able to get all the info input.

Couple other things I learned:

Tracking can be turned on/off any time by pressing "0". Even when not aligned.

Slew speed "9 Max" only works when tracking is off.

GOTO slew speeds are always slower than the mount can actually go.

As of yet no luck with "custom object" or RA and DEC backlash comp.

#320 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

GPS coordinates are in fact the data required for position, but need to be entered in deg mm instead of deg.dd. Negative longitude is west, positive is east, so depending on your GPS you may need to do some format conversion depending on how your GPS reports coords. The timezone is your UTC offset, again W is negative offset. The manual does explain this, although perhaps not clearly, and if you don't know your UTC offset you can use the timezone chart in the manual to look it up (or just google it).

I've not had a problem with custom site entry, it is a little obtusely implemented, though. To change W to E or vice versa, use the arrow keys to position the cursor over the character, then enter any number - it causes the character to toggle to the other direction. You then just enter dddmm. Don't hit enter between degrees and minutes, the cursor moves there automatically. Arrow keys to move cursor down, repeat, same for time zone.

Edited by FlankerOneTwo, 25 November 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#321 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Has anybody tried the new usb adapter & firmware from Bresser/ES?  I'm curious to see if it's working better.

Since I'm based in Europe, I didn't want to pay the shipping & duty from ordering from Explore Scientific, USA.  The shipping alone is more than the parts.  ES support told me to order it from Bresser.  Bresser says it's unavailable...

It looks like I won't get to try it for awhile...

#322 nmk456

nmk456

Lift Off

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:46 PM

Since I'm based in Europe, I didn't want to pay the shipping & duty from ordering from Explore Scientific, USA.  The shipping alone is more than the parts.  ES support told me to order it from Bresser.  Bresser says it's unavailable...

The cable doesn't appear to be any different from a standard serial cable. You just need a USB to serial converter, preferably one with an FTDI chipset if you use Windows, a serial/DB9 to RJ45 adapter, and a RJ45 to (I think, hard to tell from the pictures) RJ11. All of those can probably be bought on Amazon or another online electronics retailer. Examples: USB to Serial converter, Serial DB9 to RJ45 connector, RJ45 to RJ11 connector. I am not sure if the pinout on those items is the same as actual product, but perhaps somebody who bought one can test it. I am planning on using this setup, but I haven't bought the mount yet, so I can't test it myself.

EDIT: After looking into it, I don't think the RJ45 to RJ11 connector will work. It shouldn't be too difficult to make one yourself, though.

Edited by nmk456, 26 November 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#323 Rock22

Rock22

Messenger

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

I think you can just put a cable together yourself.  The adapters and cable look pretty generic, so you would need a USB to serial adapter (about US$12), a serial (DB9) to phone (RJ45) adapter (US$2 - this is the same picture used on the ES site), and an RJ45 to RJ11 cable (about US$7).  Not sure if it is actually RJ11, but it looks to be the right one.

RJ45 To RJ11 cable

About US$22 give or take with shipping and tax.

I purchased the ES cable set, so with free shipping, it was US$29.99.  Of course, I can get customer service for it as well if anything goes wrong.

Edited by Rock22, 26 November 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#324 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

(in order...)

Make sure your mount is level and your Polar alignment is good. I also recommend using a wide angle eyepiece.  My choice (because it's usually sooo far off) is a 40mm.  Another trick is to open up the motor clutches and manually move the scope where it should be.  Then close the clutches and continue fine tuning by slewing.

The slew speed when aligning is adjustable.  Just push a number on the keypad. 2 to 5 work well for me.

"W5" is telling you that it thinks you're 5 timezones West of GMT (England).  If the location information you've entered is correct, there's no need to change this.

If you look earlier into this thread, I've written a much more detailed post on how to align this mount.  Forgive me, but I don't know how to link to that.

U can NOT open the clutches and slew manually to center a star because the computer will not know where U pushed it to cause you bypassed the encoders. I checked this w ES service actually the pres of the company on this.   My finder is proving invaluable w it's 7 degreee FOV to catch the first align star if my levelling and polar align was off, and then hit that #3-5 button to center the target.    The better my mount level and polar align the closer I am to #1 target star.   

Edited by Gustoresto, 27 November 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#325 markdaleanderson

markdaleanderson

Explorer 1

• Loc: Spencerville, Indiana

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

For all who are wondering, I bought the cable and flashed the handset.  Yes, you can run the mount with Stellarium.  You have to download Stellarium Scope.  You connect the mount with Stellarium Scope and then start Stellarium.  The bad news: same clunky software.  I see no difference in the software before and after the upgrade.  Unfortunately, when it has been clear I have had outreach commitments so I have not tested the gotos.  I suspect they won't be any better than before.  I am used to my Nexstar 8SE.  If I take my time and do a good alignment, my targets will be dead center in the eyepiece for hours.  So, since the gotos in Stellarium are based on the alignment of the scope, they won't be any better.

I can't believe that they upgraded the software without fixing the glitches: Sagittarius is still Tagittarius.  They still sell this mount with their other products.  If anyone else has done this, I would be interested in your experience.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics