•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXOS-2GT Information Thread...

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#401 xon432246

xon432246

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

I found this article about tuning up the LDX 55 mount, Looks very much like the Exos-2gt.

http://www.weasner.c.../WarpsDrive.pdf

Worth a look.

#402 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Sputnik

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:33 AM

Wrong.  There are so many things wrong about this "tuning guide" I'm not going to enumerate them only to warn U away.  The one Patrick suggested several posts back is much better for the EXOS 2 GT but it also has "tips" that need clarifying.  This is commented from a 40 yr mechanic who has done complete teardowns w exc results.   When I can I'm going to try to take the time to make a guide to do it right.  Meanwhile I had a decent one on file I found among the ones claiming to know how to do it but had either unclear,ambiguous or just plain wrong instruction.   I'll try to find it.   Regards   Gus

• PatrickVt likes this

#403 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

I took a quick look at the Warps Drive belt drive upgrade pdf linked above and I was left wondering, "why bother with all that work?"  If I wanted an EXOS-2GT with belt drive I would simply upgrade to the EXOS-2GT PMC-Eight and then sell my EXOS-2GT.  

The other point worth noting is that people were asking about a decent guide for 'hyper-tuning' the mount and we seemed to get side-tracked by the belt conversion.  Hyper-tuning caught my attention because, at some point, I know my EXOS-2GT will require some tuning.  Before looking into this, I had absolutely no idea how to adjust the meshing of gears nor did I have any idea about tear-down and how to re-grease the gears so I knew that I would eventually be faced with figuring this out.  Common sense tells me that I'll need to do this at some point down the road so I was interested in a well-written article or book about the subject.  The page I had found and linked, above, was not well-written which I quickly noticed while simply skimming over the page.  I found some parts difficult to understand as a result.  However, there may be enough understandable steps for anyone mechanically inclined to tackle the project.  Still...  it would be nice to have a concise, accurate, well-written, step-by-step guide.  

Patrick

#404 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Sputnik

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

" not well written" agreed    "why bother" agreed    For such a rather simple mechanism I'm a bit befuddled by all the misdirection that can B applied to the adjustment procedures. Not 2 mention unnecessary work.   But then this is the internet eh?   Too many "experts"      After talking to the bossman at ES Scott Roberts and also Kent in customer service who I've advised, I made a promise that I'd write a guide to a "hypertune" on this mount based on my experience w it on my workbench and many hours of learning what to do and what NOT to do i.e. the little errors that get magnified.   Actually I would advise anyone at all lacking in patience and a good grip of the geometry/mechanics of the worm block,worm and ring gears to just keep away.    It's VERY touchy and requires a lot of back and forth playing with tolerances in the .001-.003 range.     Meanwhile if U really want to learn more than U ever wanted to about adjusting worm gear drives read Astrobaby's teardown of the Skywatcher EQ6 esp his addendum titled "mount from hell" or some such.    The worm adjustment on the EQ6 has exactly the same principle only differing by the push-pull action on the worm being controlled by 2 opposing screws on opposite sides of the worm block instead of the 3 lined up on the face of the EXOS worm block.    It gets worse.....        Gus

• PatrickVt likes this

#405 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

If you plug a computer cable into _anywhere_ other than the RS-232 port, you risk damaging mount, computer, or both. wink.gif

Edited by rmollise, 21 February 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#406 Darthstarkiller

Darthstarkiller

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Has anyone on this thread had good success keeping round stars when using this mount for astrophotography and taking long exposures. Obviously this is a budget mount and we cant expect miracles from it, however, how long have you been able to expose? What Focal length are you running? What are you using for guiding?

• mjeanneau likes this

#407 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Has anyone on this thread had good success keeping round stars when using this mount for astrophotography and taking long exposures. Obviously this is a budget mount and we cant expect miracles from it, however, how long have you been able to expose? What Focal length are you running? What are you using for guiding?

I have seen examples by a few people here in Cloudy Nights.  I'm not sure where to find those threads and examples now though.  I know quite a few people have mentioned getting 2 minute exposures with no guiding and no problems.  Perhaps a few people in this thread will speak up.  Or, it might be more productive to start a new thread in 'Mounts' and ask there.  

Another place to check would be on Astrobin.  If you search "Exos2" you should find all sorts of examples with equipment/shooting data.

Patrick

• Darthstarkiller likes this

#408 JOHN55

JOHN55

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: CENTEREACH NY

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

Hello Gentleman

Has anyone tried this yet Sky Safari 5 PRO or any wireless to this mount.

Thanks,

John

#409 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:55 AM

750mm F5 Newtonian:

30 sec unguided, about 90% good subs

90 sec unguided, about 50% good subs

I didn't push past that.  To waste more than half my night seemed too much...

With guiding, I've pushed it to 2 to 3 minutes, but the success rate has not gone up (50%).  Many issues that all seem mount related.  The DEC is horrible.  I've adjusted it myself and it got better, but still very bad.

Now that I think about it, the last time I tested it unguided I still had not perfected my Polar alignment routine.  I bet those numbers could be improved a bit.

• PatrickVt likes this

#410 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

For those into AP, here's my guiding from last night. 

I've just installed a new ST4 cable, after getting many warning messages/errors that the mount wasn't working correctly.  With the new cable, I still got errors (PHD2 says my South guiding isn't working at all), but just look:

Target
Guide Graph

#411 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

For those into AP, here's my guiding from last night. 

I've just installed a new ST4 cable, after getting many warning messages/errors that the mount wasn't working correctly.  With the new cable, I still got errors (PHD2 says my South guiding isn't working at all), but just look:

Do I see a total RMS of 0.44 ?  with the EXOS 2GT?  what scope was mounted ?

#412 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

Do I see a total RMS of 0.44 ?  with the EXOS 2GT?  what scope was mounted ?

Well, .46 anyways...    :)  I never thought it was possible!  Exos2 GT with a 1 1/2" tripod (don't get me started.)  6" Bresser Newtonian, 750mm.  50mm Omegon guide scope.

I always get warnings that my DEC has too much backlash (even after I've tightened it up) and I think one of the clutches is starting to drag (it doesn't move as freely as it used to.)  I did calibration at 68 degrees, was told by PHD2 that guiding would be horrible.  But it somehow worked.  I can't explain it.

That's why I took the screenshots.  I suspected nobody would believe it!!  But coming back to reality:  I forgot to check the Newt's collimation and my focus was slightly off.  Kidney shaped stars.  All my images went in the bin...

• zxx likes this

#413 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:30 AM

Well, .46 anyways...    smile.gif  I never thought it was possible!  Exos2 GT with a 1 1/2" tripod (don't get me started.)  6" Bresser Newtonian, 750mm.  50mm Omegon guide scope.

I always get warnings that my DEC has too much backlash (even after I've tightened it up) and I think one of the clutches is starting to drag (it doesn't move as freely as it used to.)  I did calibration at 68 degrees, was told by PHD2 that guiding would be horrible.  But it somehow worked.  I can't explain it.

That's why I took the screenshots.  I suspected nobody would believe it!!  But coming back to reality:  I forgot to check the Newt's collimation and my focus was slightly off.  Kidney shaped stars.  All my images went in the bin...

I believe it,I started AP with the CG-4 and ED80 ,did the mod to the HC and was getting my RMS down to 0.75

I know a lot of folks here believe you need to spend $1000 on a mount to start AP with a ED80  ,  wrong lol

I also have a lot of backlash in DEC,I found by being a tad out of PA and guide DEC in one direction I get much better guiding ,also with my CGEM DX

Edited by zxx, 25 March 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• Jerry Hubbell likes this

#414 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

Probably the best thing to do is to keep the worm gears adjusted to reduce backlash, and keep clean grease in there. Also the Allen head screws were some weird size on mine. I had to grind down a 4.5mm Allen wrench to fit. 4mm was too small and SAE sizes didn't fit either.

I had to adjust my RA axis slightly so I dug up this old thread for some guidance.  Apparently, my motor box wasn't sitting as snugly to the mount as it should have been so I had a little too much play between the cog wheels.  (I think I know how this happened too...  I moved the entire mount recently...  with the counterweight on and with the clutches locked down...  and, to make matters worse, I grabbed ahold of the counterweight shaft at the front of the mount to use as a handle with one hand while the other grabbed under the top of the tripod.  I think that could have added enough of a stressing load to cause these cog wheels to push the motor housing away from the mount a hair.  As I was sidestepping with the mount, I realized this was probably a stupid way to move the mount.)  Anyway, doing this adjustment to get the cog wheels to sit snugly was a fairly easy job, however, I did have problems finding the right allen keys and I instantly remembered reading about hex key size issues in a thread here so I went searching for it.   

A 4mm fit perfectly in the two outside bolts to the motor box assembly but I couldn't find one that fit into the head of the center bolt way around back by the polar scope.  I didn't have a 4.5mm so I was thinking that I might need that one since the 5mm was just a hair too large to go into the head.  At the last moment I decided to pull out my micrometer to measure my allen keys to see if I had the sizes correctly...  I did.  Even though I read in this thread that the SAE sizes didn't work, I pulled out my SAE set just to give them a shot before I started grinding down a 5mm or purchase a 4.5mm...  it turns out that my 3/16" allen key fit that back center bolt perfectly.  And, just in case anyone is wondering, I did check these two allen keys with my micrometer again to make sure they are the sizes I thought they were...  4mm for the outside bolts, 3/16" for the center bolt.

After this quick adjustment, I decided that I should pick up a 4mm and a 3/16" allen keys in a longer length with a T-handle to keep on hand with my telescope accessories.  These longer allen keys would make this adjustment even easier because it would eliminate the need to lift off and re-position the allen key every 30ยบ, over and over, while trying to hold the motor box assembly snugly against the mount.  

When I have a little more time on my hands, I plan to re-grease these gears including the worm gear.  That will require quite a bit more time so I didn't do that today.  When I am unfamiliar with something like this, I like to start simple and do just one step at a time.  Plus, I don't have the time nor energy to tackle a larger project right now.  

Hope this info helps someone else.

Patrick

• ThatsMyCoffee likes this

#415 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:31 AM

(Please forgive the cross-post, but no replies so I'm trying here also.)

After upgrading the firmware, has anybody had luck communicating between the mount and SkySafari 6?

None of the mount options I've tried has worked 100%.  Something working with some of the Meade series of mounts, but the connection is lost after a few seconds.

If you're using a different program and connecting via serial, what settings did you use?

#416 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

The new iPolar scope by iOptron, fits easily into the standard polar scope slot in the Exos2.  No adapter needed.

The field of view is not completely clear, but i do get a big enough circle of light to get an alignment.  Minimum of 4 stars is required and I have been able to get 9+.  iOptron says that if your view is 50% obstructed, it will still work.  The donut hole I see is nowhere close to that.

Small tip:  When mounting it, be gentle.  And mount the usb connector UP.  You'll see why when you do a calibration.

#417 ttanquary

ttanquary

Lift Off

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

Does anyone know where the speaker is on the hand controller? I'm trying to find a way to lower the volume of the beep and someone told me I might be able to cover the speaker with tape to deaden the sound. 

#418 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

I covered the tiny speaker inside the hand controller with some thick foam tape...  it is still far too loud.  Actually, I do not even notice a difference in the sound.  Those beeps are still far too loud to be used in our neighborhood in the middle of the night.  My neighbors still complain about the noise.  My next option is to simply remove the speaker altogether.  

Patrick

#419 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

I was hoping the firmware upgrade would provide an option to turn it off.  No luck.

BRESSER, if you're listening...please do this.

#420 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

I was hoping the firmware upgrade would provide an option to turn it off.  No luck.

BRESSER, if you're listening...please do this.

I don't think that anything was updated nor changed in this firmware update other than adding serial control.  In all fairness to Bresser, that is all they claimed when they released the firmware update.  I'd say that I would be completely shocked if Bresser provided another update with some little improvements to the interface and options but they did provide this update giving us serial control which is what most people were complaining about so...  who knows?  I'm not holding my breath though.  I expect to have a far better mount before we see another firmware update from Bresser.

When I get around to it (it is a good rainy day project), I am planning to disable the little speaker on my hand controller unless someone has a better idea other than covering it with foam tape....   tape makes little to no difference.  Those beeps are still startling loud in the silence of night.  Right now I am focused on building a small observatory shed so everything else is on the back burner.  And this observatory project is going much more slowly than I would like but it is slowly coming along.

Patrick

#421 nmk456

nmk456

Lift Off

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

I recently bought the cable set to upgrade the firmware and use software control of the mount. When I connect to it in APT, I can use the GOTO function, but nothing else works. The buttons don't move the mount, the RA/Dec and Alt/Az coordinates are always at 0, and syncing them does nothing. Has anyone else had these issues? Is there a way to fix it? The coordinates not updating makes it impossible to do automated meridian flips, which limits my imaging time.

#422 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:55 AM

I recently bought the cable set to upgrade the firmware and use software control of the mount. When I connect to it in APT, I can use the GOTO function, but nothing else works. The buttons don't move the mount, the RA/Dec and Alt/Az coordinates are always at 0, and syncing them does nothing. Has anyone else had these issues? Is there a way to fix it? The coordinates not updating makes it impossible to do automated meridian flips, which limits my imaging time.

If you're running the POTH hub before doing anything else, you should see correct coordinates there.  If you don't, then you have an issue.

• PatrickVt likes this

#423 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:58 AM

...I expect to have a far better mount before we see another firmware update from Bresser.

You and me both!

• PatrickVt likes this

#424 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

After some truly horrible nights where nothing seemed to work, especially guiding for AP...I decided to start looking for information on tuning the mount.

I found this:  http://www.thestarde...enance_101.html

Definitely worth a read!!

I removed the motors and the instructions say I should be able to turn the shaft by hand and not feel 'much' resistance...I could NOT move them.  Extreme force was necessary.

After loosing it, I could turn the shaft, but had zero movement when changing directions.  About 180 degrees free movement before engaging the other way.  This is a massive *massive* backlash. 

No wonder I've been having so many problems.  Way too much force required by the motors, even if the load was perfectly balanced AND incredible backlash.

Followed the instructions and spent about a half hour fiddling...  It now spins easily by hand and has pretty close to zero backlash.  VICTORY!!  After re-installing the motors, I tested it...  So much quieter.  Maybe I won't be waking the neighbours every time I slew.

• eros312 and Devonshire like this

#425 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Good for you!  :-)

I've used Mark Jordan's Stardeck page as well - very helpful.  Do let us know how guiding goes for you when next you're able to get out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics