•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXOS-2GT Information Thread...

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#26 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bangor, Pa.

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Mark for the response. Yes I have the motors connected as you stated. Power only to the the control panel (located on the RA motor). Hand Box is connected to the HBX jack on the control panel. The other coiled cord connects between the Dec Motor jack on the control panel and the Dec Motor jack on the Dec Motor panel. Also a yes on my Dec does "not" move when slewing. It did at first when I set things up but now I can hear the sound of something moving inside the dec motor but the scope doesn't move. RA motor is fine and the scope slews on the RA axis. No motion on the Dec axis. I'll call Explore Scientific Monday and describe my issue. 

I know from what I have read that most folks have been very happy With ES. Both their products and customer service. Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky.I purchased the mount through B&H Photo in New York along with the SW 100ED scope on 6/21. I received the scope on 6/23 and ES drop shipped the mount to me on 6/23. I received the mount on 6/28. Good so far :)  Unpacked the mount and began assembly. The motors were already installed on the mount. I assume yours was the same. After I got things together I realized I didn't have the battery box or the cable to connect it to the mount. I did have two funny flexible shafts that I couldn't figure out the purpose of. Later I did realize they were manual controls to move the mount if you didn't purchase the GoTo version. Anyway I talked to the people at B&H but they were at a loss and not familiar with the mount although they did recommend it and thats why i  purchased it. They gave me the phone number for ES but I decided to explore their website a bit and opted to click on chat. Got connected right away to a rep and explained my situation. They assured me they would get a battery box and cable out to me asap. I asked if they could email me tracking when the items were shipped and they said no problem. That was on 6/29. 6/30 came and went and no tracking email. I decided to call and left a message with their customer service. 7/6 came and still no email or return call so I decided to call again. This time I did get a person and explained my situation . He could not find any record of a shipment to me to replace my missing battery box and cable. So he said he would get those items shipped out asap. While I talked to him I also mentioned my Dec motor issue. I explained I had gone ahead and purchased a Talentcell for powering and that's how I was powering the mount. He said he would also ship me a replacement Dec motor. I was thrilled . About an hour later I received a confirmation email asking me to verify my shipping address. That was correct but the listed replacement parts wasn't. Instead of a battery box I was to receive a battery for the hand box ? Instead of a cable to connect the battery box I was to receive a curly cable for the hand box ? Obviously something was lost in translation. Oh and there was no mention of a Dec Motor. So thats where it stands :(  I'll see how I make out tomorrow. My patience is wearing thin !  Thanks, Dave

#27 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rothschild, WI. USA

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Mark for the response. Yes I have the motors connected as you stated. Power only to the the control panel (located on the RA motor). Hand Box is connected to the HBX jack on the control panel. The other coiled cord connects between the Dec Motor jack on the control panel and the Dec Motor jack on the Dec Motor panel. Also a yes on my Dec does "not" move when slewing. It did at first when I set things up but now I can hear the sound of something moving inside the dec motor but the scope doesn't move. RA motor is fine and the scope slews on the RA axis. No motion on the Dec axis. I'll call Explore Scientific Monday and describe my issue. 

I know from what I have read that most folks have been very happy With ES. Both their products and customer service. Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky.I purchased the mount through B&H Photo in New York along with the SW 100ED scope on 6/21. I received the scope on 6/23 and ES drop shipped the mount to me on 6/23. I received the mount on 6/28. Good so far smile.gif  Unpacked the mount and began assembly. The motors were already installed on the mount. I assume yours was the same. After I got things together I realized I didn't have the battery box or the cable to connect it to the mount. I did have two funny flexible shafts that I couldn't figure out the purpose of. Later I did realize they were manual controls to move the mount if you didn't purchase the GoTo version. Anyway I talked to the people at B&H but they were at a loss and not familiar with the mount although they did recommend it and thats why i  purchased it. They gave me the phone number for ES but I decided to explore their website a bit and opted to click on chat. Got connected right away to a rep and explained my situation. They assured me they would get a battery box and cable out to me asap. I asked if they could email me tracking when the items were shipped and they said no problem. That was on 6/29. 6/30 came and went and no tracking email. I decided to call and left a message with their customer service. 7/6 came and still no email or return call so I decided to call again. This time I did get a person and explained my situation . He could not find any record of a shipment to me to replace my missing battery box and cable. So he said he would get those items shipped out asap. While I talked to him I also mentioned my Dec motor issue. I explained I had gone ahead and purchased a Talentcell for powering and that's how I was powering the mount. He said he would also ship me a replacement Dec motor. I was thrilled . About an hour later I received a confirmation email asking me to verify my shipping address. That was correct but the listed replacement parts wasn't. Instead of a battery box I was to receive a battery for the hand box ? Instead of a cable to connect the battery box I was to receive a curly cable for the hand box ? Obviously something was lost in translation. Oh and there was no mention of a Dec Motor. So thats where it stands frown.gif  I'll see how I make out tomorrow. My patience is wearing thin !  Thanks, Dave

Talk to Lance at ES. I'm sure some of this is miscommunication between some people. Lance has always been great to deal with at ES. 

• davehilltop likes this

#28 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

Thank You Mark :)  I'll let you know how it goes.   Dave

#29 carlsonmjc

carlsonmjc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Dave , check the  " set screw " on the  Dec motor shaft, and the mount gear.  This is the small screw that  goes through the motor gear, and the mount gear, and holds the gear in place, on the shaft. Mine came loose after about a year, and caused the symptom you are describing.  The motor runs, but the shaft spins freely inside the gear. You can look through the removable doors on the black housing, or remove the motor entirely, and get a closer look. The extra jack on the Dec motor housing was a 12 volt power port for accessories. It was disabled by Bresser. There are two input jacks on the Dec motor, either will work. Also if the set screw is the problem, there is a flat spot on the  shafts, where the screw should sit. This was my problem, as the screw was originally  tightened on a round spot, and it started slipping.

Mark C

• davehilltop, drt and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#30 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thank you so much !  Sure enough i opened the little door and the two gears were not meshing. Took the motor off and checked the set screws and they were on the flats and tight. Put the motor back on and pushed it in as far as it would go and noticed now the gears meshed :)  Must not have been pushed in far enough against the mount. There's a slot where that big allen bolt goes so you do have some in and out play. Motor moves the scope fine now. Smooth and quiet :)  Also I spoke to Lance at ES this morning and he is getting my missing parts out to me. He was very nice :)  Thanks Mark and Mark C. for the help.  Now if the clouds would just go away :)

• MarkMittlesteadt likes this

#31 carlsonmjc

carlsonmjc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Dave, glad to be of help. Spacing of the gears is also important. On page five of my manual, there is a picture titled " Installing the motors". A small insert shows the recommended clearance between gears. One of mine was to tight, and resulted in metal shavings, at the bottom of the enclosure. Also a little dab of grease on the teeth helps.

Mark C
  • drt and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#32 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thank you so much !  Sure enough i opened the little door and the two gears were not meshing. Took the motor off and checked the set screws and they were on the flats and tight. Put the motor back on and pushed it in as far as it would go and noticed now the gears meshed smile.gif  Must not have been pushed in far enough against the mount. There's a slot where that big allen bolt goes so you do have some in and out play. Motor moves the scope fine now. Smooth and quiet smile.gif  Also I spoke to Lance at ES this morning and he is getting my missing parts out to me. He was very nice smile.gif  Thanks Mark and Mark C. for the help.  Now if the clouds would just go away smile.gif

So glad you got it working. Lance is my GoTo guy at ES. He's always done great by me and I highly recommend talking to him specifically. 

#33 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

Mark and Mark C,

Yes I had it a little too tight. Backed it off a little and compared it with the RA motor. All is well i believe :)  I have what's called waterproof grease. It's for use on faucet bushings. Its kinda like silicone grease but very light. Do you think a little dab of that would be OK ?  Thanks guys, really appreciate your help :)  Dave  

#34 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

White lithium grease is best, but anything is better than thick pasty stuff that just gums up over time. 

• davehilltop likes this

#35 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ah yes good old white grease. Forgot about that stuff. Pretty sure I have some. Thanks !!

#36 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:46 PM

EXOS2-GT update

I got my EXOS-2GT a month ago and it had the red tape peeling off the counterweight, a screw was cockeyed on a motor cover and dragging on a drive gear, and a spring shorted out the battery on the polar finder scope. I contacted Explore Scientific and decided none of those issues were life threatening and moved on.

However, A MONTH LATER, ES STILL HASN'T RESPONDED.

I've found that the design of the polar finderscope requires that you align n extremely dim stars near Polaris. In my case it has never worked. I DON'T EXPECT IT TO EVER WORK.

Tonight I went out and after going through the alignment it spent a few minutes and the Goto popped off. Since it can't keep track of time, it immediately asked for the time, then date, then daylight savings time, then location...

It was off for a fraction of a second and required a full realignment. IT POPPED OFF AND REQUIRED FULL ALIGNMENT FIVE TIMES IN ONE HOUR.

Very frustrating. Even though I just paid a boatload for an ADM Losmandy dovetail adapter, I'll write that off as a learning experience and I'm going to see if B&H will let me return it.

#37 carlsonmjc

carlsonmjc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Peter, My mount came with similar problems, but like you, I just dealt with them, and also moved on. My polar scope must be different, as it has a vertical line, with a small cross. The cross is C pole, and down the line is a small circle where Polaris goes. The illuminator needed a solder job, but I figured just including an illuminated scope at this price was a bonus.

The hand controller will keep time and data. It has a battery, which usually is dead. No mention in the manual, but it is a cr1220. Lasts about a year.

One thing to watch out for , is the minus sign, on the hand held. This is number three, in the manual description, described as " mode " key. If you even nick this key, while tracking/slewing ( easy to do ), everything stops. It mimics a crash, but you can recover by pushing the help key, or better yet the "plus" key. This shows a list of recent gotos , and selecting the top one restores tracking.

If you have a bad machine , by all means send it back. Either B&H or ES should help you out.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark C

#38 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

Nothing mass produced will always be 100% perfect. Just the nature of mass production. Expectations are similar in that nothing will ever meet them 100% of the time. It's a game we humans play. 

If something is not working as claimed, then either the manufacturer or the retailer should resolve the issue. I have never had any problems with anything I've owned from Explore Scientific that wasn't resolved quickly by Lance at ES. Of course I haven't had many issues to begin with, but a non-functioning mount is something I'd expect to be resolved to my satisfaction. Contact Lance at ES specifically. 

#39 Ptkacik

Ptkacik

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:24 PM

I don't want to complain but after a month, I still hadn't heard anything about my issues. Then when it crashed and burned five times in an hour, I was upset.

I'm thinking B&H may have had mine for some time as both batteries were dead (illuminated reticle and hand controller). The hand controller battery didn't prevent it from working, rather, it made it act like it had lousy software that required reloading every boot up. That was one of my comments to ES but since they never responded, I never heard of the battery.

Five times in an hour seems like a flaky connector.

What do you do with the hand controller? Let it dangle from the cord? Is there supposed to be a holder somewhere?

Clear skies,
Peter

#40 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

I don't want to complain but after a month, I still hadn't heard anything about my issues. Then when it crashed and burned five times in an hour, I was upset.

I'm thinking B&H may have had mine for some time as both batteries were dead (illuminated reticle and hand controller). The hand controller battery didn't prevent it from working, rather, it made it act like it had lousy software that required reloading every boot up. That was one of my comments to ES but since they never responded, I never heard of the battery.

Five times in an hour seems like a flaky connector.

What do you do with the hand controller? Let it dangle from the cord? Is there supposed to be a holder somewhere?

Clear skies,
Peter

Did you communicate with Lance at ES directly. He's a pretty stand up guy for ES. 

I use velcro to mount my handcontroller to the mount when not holding it. Velcro allows you to put it anywhere, even multiple places. 

#41 carlsonmjc

carlsonmjc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Yes, Velcro. Two strips on the back of the handheld, and multiple strips , all over the mount. The Hand held cord seems to be a week point. Mine is showing the wires exposed where it enters the plug, which goes into the H H.  I repaired this , but now I am more selective as to where I affix the H H so as not to put stress on the plugs.

If you are confident  something is wrong, I would start with a new Handset, from ES. 

All my communications with ES, have been by phone.  Try  calling. They always answer.

Mark C

#42 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Hi All !

Basically had my first light last night with my SW 100 ED and the EXOS2 GT.  I was so excited and impatient waiting for the first stars so I could begin alignment. Finally I had a first star (I thought) of the night and I assumed it was Arcturus. Selected Arcturus in the hand box and hit enter. Off we went but wound up quite a bit higher then what I thought was Arcturus ! Brought the scope down to where I thought I should be and  I blew it ! Jupiter was out first ! What a surprise when I looked through the eyepiece. Anyway eventually Arcturus came out and I re-did my alignment.  The view of Jupiter was good. Even though the sky was clear there was a lot of haze. But all and all not bad :)  Go to's were off but I realized I used magnetic north instead of polar north when I set up my home position. I'll try again tonight and see if I can improve on that. I am using "1 star alignment" 

Also yesterday my battery box (vinyl bag) finally arrived :) I had called Lance back last Monday shortly after talking to him and left a message telling him not to send a Dec motor as I had solved that issue. Well I also received a Dec motor ?? So I'll a wait a couple of days and reach out for instructions on returning it. Guess my message got there too late. 

A big "thanks" to everyone who helped me work through the snags.   Regards, Dave

#43 davehilltop

davehilltop

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Much better results last night !  Go To's were on the money with objects right in the eyepiece. I just eye balled Polaris as it was not visibly bright enough to see through the polar scope. :)

#44 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:49 PM

Thank you so much !  Sure enough i opened the little door and the two gears were not meshing. Took the motor off and checked the set screws and they were on the flats and tight. Put the motor back on and pushed it in as far as it would go and noticed now the gears meshed smile.gif  Must not have been pushed in far enough against the mount. There's a slot where that big allen bolt goes so you do have some in and out play. Motor moves the scope fine now. Smooth and quiet smile.gif  Also I spoke to Lance at ES this morning and he is getting my missing parts out to me. He was very nice smile.gif  Thanks Mark and Mark C. for the help.  Now if the clouds would just go away smile.gif

So glad you got it working. Lance is my GoTo guy at ES. He's always done great by me and I highly recommend talking to him specifically. 

Mark,

I've tried calling customer support (Lance?) for two days and I get a VM saying the box is full.  Is there a specific # to call?  I have a question for him on my mount.

Thanks,

Chris

#45 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Mark,

I've tried calling customer support (Lance?) for two days and I get a VM saying the box is full.  Is there a specific # to call?  I have a question for him on my mount.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't have a direct number. Try e-mailing support at ES but include Lance's name in the subject line. What question do you have about it? 

#46 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

I was able to leave Lance a VM today so hopefully I get a call back.

In the mean time, I had the mount out the other night and while in tracking mode, I would watch the RA gears slowly turn... all was fine for several minutes but then the gears would pause and then "jump".  I could hear the motor running but its like the gear is sticking ever so often.  The meshing looks fine and I even put a small amount of grease on the gears to try and smooth things up.  Same thing.

Chris

#47 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

I was able to leave Lance a VM today so hopefully I get a call back.

In the mean time, I had the mount out the other night and while in tracking mode, I would watch the RA gears slowly turn... all was fine for several minutes but then the gears would pause and then "jump".  I could hear the motor running but its like the gear is sticking ever so often.  The meshing looks fine and I even put a small amount of grease on the gears to try and smooth things up.  Same thing.

Chris

Odd. I have nothing to offer in the way of assistance. Keep us posted what happens with ES. 

#48 Andylad13

Andylad13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

Ive had my exos2 gt for about a month. Ive dealt with more than a few issues but everything was solved through my own trial and error.

Handbox never remembered my settings. Solved with a new battery. 6 phillips screws on the back of the remote come out and you can access the battery. 1216's work if you cant find 1220's

RA axis was knocking. Take the big allen wrench supplied and remove the bolt under the polar scope and lower the control box. Then use the medium size allen wrench that is supplied to adjust the three bolts. The middle is your spacing. The outer two will hold your spacing. I had to loosen the middle and tighten the outer ones evenly to get rid of the knock. The gear will be exposed when you do this so it is the perfect time to see if your adjustments are too tight or loose. Lock the RA if you haven't already, and rotate the gear by hand. Have it so that the gear rotates smoothly. If its hard to turn, then the outside bolts need to be loosened, tighten the center bolt (which increases the space between where the worm drive gears mesh) then re tighten the outers to secure the adjustment. Do this in small increments. One full turn of the wrench will vastly affect the adjustment. When this fine tuning is complete, screw the control box back on with the large bolt. Get it barely snug and watch the gears mesh through the access opening (it has a sticker saying "ball bearings inside") make sure that this spacing isn't too tight too. Don't forget to put some dielectric grease on the gears while you are in there. The grease probably saved my gears before i realized my adjustments were too tight.

Mount worked great on the first night. Each night after was worse and worse. Sometimes it wouldnt stop slewing. Sometimes the handbox would freeze. Sometimes the RA wouldn't rotate. Sometimes the alignment star was very close, sometimes during the same session a realignment would be totally off. Sometimes it wouldn't go in the park position. Sometimes i had to realign after every object i searched for, because it was way off. It wasn't until the controller backlight was flickering that I figured out this mount doesnt operate well on 7 volts. 8 cell battery pack is not ideal for me. My adapter cord for 12v has not come in yet so i cut the wires, wired in a 5amp fuse (should probably be 3 amp) and connected to a boost pack battery. All problems solved. Used it for hours last night with no issues. I could slew and align whenever i wanted and the mount never skipped a beat.

Now i am happy.

Pic to come. Shows battery pack before upgrade. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7253.JPG

Edited by Andylad13, 14 September 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#49 cherron3

cherron3

Lift Off

• Loc: Charleston, S.C.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

This is not really related to issues with getting the mount work.  I'm looking for an RS 232 interface cable so I can attach the handbox to a laptop or smartphone.  The instruction manual that comes with the  Bresser Goto Kit for EQ-5 mounts talks about an optional cable part number 07-45910.  Asked Bresser.eu about the cable.  They did not have anything; and they referred me to Meade - who said they have no knowledge of the bresser mount - go figure; but I tried.  Now I have an email into Explore Scientific for some help.  Past experience has shown they are very slow to respond, so may be a while before I hear from them.  Would appreciate hearing from someone who has worked out a solution.  Thanks

• drt likes this

#50 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

This is not really related to issues with getting the mount work.  I'm looking for an RS 232 interface cable so I can attach the handbox to a laptop or smartphone.  The instruction manual that comes with the  Bresser Goto Kit for EQ-5 mounts talks about an optional cable part number 07-45910.  Asked Bresser.eu about the cable.  They did not have anything; and they referred me to Meade - who said they have no knowledge of the bresser mount - go figure; but I tried.  Now I have an email into Explore Scientific for some help.  Past experience has shown they are very slow to respond, so may be a while before I hear from them.  Would appreciate hearing from someone who has worked out a solution.  Thanks

You cannot connect the handcontroller of an EXOS2-GT to anything else, despite there being a port on it. The port is disabled. I don't know why. 

You can connect an autoguider to the ST-4 port on the mount interface though. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics