•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXOS-2GT Information Thread...

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#51 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Mark,

First of all thank you for starting this thread. I read all the posting and it has been very helpful so far since I am debating my self if buying or not the EXOS2-GT mount.

I have been  literally changing my mind everyday moving from "ok i am going to buy the EXOS so i can have few extra bucks for guiding camera, field flattener, light pollution filters, etc..."  to  "no lets spend all the money on a CEM25 or HEQ5 but then i will not even be able to use it as i need because of all the other missing accessories" :(.

I have already a refractor ES 102 CF (never used yet!!!) , I live on a light polluted area close to Philadelphia (so in any case my exposures won't be more than 1 minute long) and a DSRL canon 70D (unmodified).

So i have a very simple question for you: if you were me today (considering the fact that you know well the EXOS2-GT) and based on the gear I have , the light polluted condition, etc... would you still go with that mount or not?

PS: the missing connectivity of the controller to the laptop for GOTO functions is something i can live without it.

Any comment you (or anybody else) will provide  will help me tremendously in order to make a final decision. I just want to make sure to enter into this new hobby with the right foot ... or with the least possible frustration :) 

Thank you in advance!

Sebastiano

#52 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Mark,

First of all thank you for starting this thread. I read all the posting and it has been very helpful so far since I am debating my self if buying or not the EXOS2-GT mount.

I have been  literally changing my mind everyday moving from "ok i am going to buy the EXOS so i can have few extra bucks for guiding camera, field flattener, light pollution filters, etc..."  to  "no lets spend all the money on a CEM25 or HEQ5 but then i will not even be able to use it as i need because of all the other missing accessories" frown.gif.

I have already a refractor ES 102 CF (never used yet!!!) , I live on a light polluted area close to Philadelphia (so in any case my exposures won't be more than 1 minute long) and a DSRL canon 70D (unmodified).

So i have a very simple question for you: if you were me today (considering the fact that you know well the EXOS2-GT) and based on the gear I have , the light polluted condition, etc... would you still go with that mount or not?

PS: the missing connectivity of the controller to the laptop for GOTO functions is something i can live without it.

Any comment you (or anybody else) will provide  will help me tremendously in order to make a final decision. I just want to make sure to enter into this new hobby with the right foot ... or with the least possible frustration smile.gif

Thank you in advance!

Sebastiano

Sebastiano, I could have written your post for you. That is how similar my situation was (and still is). I wanted to get into AP work, but I just couldn't spend the money on anything more. You have a very light and small scope. I just recently  bought an older (but immaculate condition) Stellarvue Nighthawk 7 (I can't even afford an apo...yet) so I have a small, lightweight scope too. Having a lighter scope allows you more leeway with the mount. 

While other costlier mounts can handle heavier loads, the EXOS-2GT is solid enough to do AP work. I don't even do any guiding with mine, so I'm limited to about 2 minute subs unguided, maximum. I seldom even do anything beyond 90 seconds though anyway for now. The EXOS2-GT does have an ST-4 guider port so at some point you can guide with it too.

Here's my EXOS2-GT with my OMNI XLT 150mm riding on it and I took the photos below of M57 and M31 with that scope on the EXOS2-GT. Any flaws in the photos are due to me being new at it, not the mount at all

setup-imaging.jpg

Below is a couple of photos I took with my OMNI XLT 150mm reflector on the EXOS-2GT (which is much heavier than my new small scope I'm going to be using...or yours). Keep in mind I'm just getting started in AP. Lots of others have taken much better photos with basically the same mount (the older LXD75).

These are unguided...

M57 - Ring Nebula (four 30 second subs, stacked)...

M57-larger.jpg

And here is a photo of M31. This is only a single exposure of about 45 seconds under heavy light pollution and a 3/4 moon...

M31-M110.jpg

And here's one of the moon I took the same night (since the moon was washing out the dark sky anyway)...

moon4.jpg

So yes...the EXOS2-GT is capable of unguided (or guided) AP work. Are there far better mounts out there for AP? Yes, of course. But if you can't afford them and still want to do AP, the EXOS2-GT is capable, especially if you are just starting out with AP and don't have the money for the big, expensive stuff.

Edited by MarkMittlesteadt, 05 October 2017 - 05:08 PM.

• drt likes this

#53 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thank you Mark very much for your prompt reply. Yes, me being an entry level probably the EXOS2 will be the best choice also for the simple fact that the mount being light will kind allow me use to use it more often hence experiment more. That's said, once i make the purchase this weekend i will definitively let you know since you have now participated to my decision process :).

thanks again.

PS: where did you get those trays for the mount? Hand made?...they seem extremely useful.

-Sebastiano

#54 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

Thank you Mark very much for your prompt reply. Yes, me being an entry level probably the EXOS2 will be the best choice also for the simple fact that the mount being light will kind allow me use to use it more often hence experiment more. That's said, once i make the purchase this weekend i will definitively let you know since you have now participated to my decision process smile.gif.

thanks again.

PS: where did you get those trays for the mount? Hand made?...they seem extremely useful.

-Sebastiano

I think the EXOS2-GT is very solid and the tracking is pretty good for a mount in this class (CG-5, LXD75, etc.).

You can see how I made the trays HERE. VERY easy to make and cheap too. 

#55 Bikersurgeon

Bikersurgeon

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

Hi, SebaAstro, I have the Explore Scientific 102 with the metal tube, which I assume is a bit heavier than your carbon fiber scope, with the ZWO1600MM camera and filter wheel (fairly heavy), as well as a QHY5II on a 70mm finder/guider (more weight), all stuck on the exos2GT and I couldn't be happier.  I arranged this setup so I could have a portable system, and it's not difficult to move and setup.  To your question, with decent polar alignment (the OTHER finder scope on it has a polar alignment reticule) I can get very nice 120 second unguided exposures.  with the QHY fired up with PhD I did a test the other day and took a 30 minute exposure and the stars were spot on round.  Couldn't believe it!.  It's a sturdy enough mount...after touching it, for focus or whatever, it's motionless again in 2-3 seconds.  I found the GOTO to be unbelievably accurate, after reading several horror stories.  I do a one star alignment and everything I have GONETO so far has been in the FOV, granted, not perfectly centered.  The Handbox waas a little weird to learn but ends up being intuitive and simple after all.  Except the "synch" procedure seems a bit excessive, it works when you get it down pat.

Edited by Bikersurgeon, 13 October 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#56 Bikersurgeon

Bikersurgeon

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Mark, I really like your tray mods, especially the top one.  Think I'll copycat you.  I like your tagline too about modding!

• MarkMittlesteadt likes this

#57 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi, SebaAstro, I have the Explore Scientific 102 with the metal tube, which I assume is a bit heavier than your carbon fiber scope, with the ZWO1600MM camera and filter wheel (fairly heavy), as well as a QHY5II on a 70mm finder/guider (more weight), all stuck on the exos2GT and I couldn't be happier.  I arranged this setup so I could have a portable system, and it's not difficult to move and setup.  To your question, with decent polar alignment (the OTHER finder scope on it has a polar alignment reticule) I can get very nice 120 second unguided exposures.  with the QHY fired up with PhD I did a test the other day and took a 30 minute exposure and the stars were spot on round.  Couldn't believe it!.  It's a sturdy enough mount...after touching it, for focus or whatever, it's motionless again in 2-3 seconds.  I found the GOTO to be unbelievably accurate, after reading several horror stories.  I do a one star alignment and everything I have GONETO so far has been in the FOV, granted, not perfectly centered.  The Handbox waas a little weird to learn but ends up being intuitive and simple after all.  Except the "synch" procedure seems a bit excessive, it works when you get it down pat.

Thank you for the additional comment on the mount. I really think it is a good choice overall. I have been reading a lot about this product. Yes, I read also bad stories but i won't be very worry.

Anyone heard from ES about that famous firmware update to activate ASCOM controlling via laptop ? That update has been promised by ES for months (years) !!!

Seba 

#58 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the additional comment on the mount. I really think it is a good choice overall. I have been reading a lot about this product. Yes, I read also bad stories but i won't be very worry.

Anyone heard from ES about that famous firmware update to activate ASCOM controlling via laptop ? That update has been promised by ES for months (years) !!!

Seba 

I don't think it's ever going to happen now that they've come out with the EXOS2-GT with PMC-8 to control it. 

#59 Andylad13

Andylad13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:33 AM

In the mean time, I had the mount out the other night and while in tracking mode, I would watch the RA gears slowly turn... all was fine for several minutes but then the gears would pause and then "jump". I could hear the motor running but its like the gear is sticking ever so often. The meshing looks fine and I even put a small amount of grease on the gears to try and smooth things up. Same thing.

Chris

Mine did this to me tonight. Took the RA motor off and it still was acting up in my hand. Did you fix this?

#60 Andylad13

Andylad13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

ES wants me to send back the motors and handbox to be diagnosed under warranty. I will do just that and await the response.

#61 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

I have recently purchased the Exos-2gt, and have had nothing but problems. First, the most disappointing thing is all the alignment stars have been west of the meridian, and I have no view west. So I decided to act as it I could see the stars, and did a one star alignment. Not one slew came even close, not even in the right part of the sky. This is the fourth night I've worked on this.

To give you some background, this is my fourth go-to mount. First I changed the hand box batteries, balanced the mount with a level, balanced the ota,  used a compass to set up my mount north, set ra and dec (at which Polaris was in my 32mm eyepiece). The hand box is now holding the correct time and date, I set dst, and used Atlanta Ga for my location (since it would not take my coordinates).

In virtually every slew, the scope went into the area of zenith (until I stopped the mount to keep it from hitting the legs). A couple of times it went toward the ground. After trying Vega and Altair, I tried the moon. The scope again slewed just north of zenith. The moon was due south, low in the sky.

I have contacted ES, and gotten back an initial response. I have sent a follow up email tonight.and hope for a quick resolution.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

• xon432246 likes this

#62 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

I have recently purchased the Exos-2gt, and have had nothing but problems. First, the most disappointing thing is all the alignment stars have been west of the meridian, and I have no view west. So I decided to act as it I could see the stars, and did a one star alignment. Not one slew came even close, not even in the right part of the sky. This is the fourth night I've worked on this.

To give you some background, this is my fourth go-to mount. First I changed the hand box batteries, balanced the mount with a level, balanced the ota,  used a compass to set up my mount north, set ra and dec (at which Polaris was in my 32mm eyepiece). The hand box is now holding the correct time and date, I set dst, and used Atlanta Ga for my location (since it would not take my coordinates).

In virtually every slew, the scope went into the area of zenith (until I stopped the mount to keep it from hitting the legs). A couple of times it went toward the ground. After trying Vega and Altair, I tried the moon. The scope again slewed just north of zenith. The moon was due south, low in the sky.

I have contacted ES, and gotten back an initial response. I have sent a follow up email tonight.and hope for a quick resolution.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a faulty handcontroller. I would assume they'd replace it. Mine tends to work great most of the time, although it can also be glitchy at times. Nothing worse than having it "act up" in the middle of an AP session, aside from having it be non-functional as yours is. The handcontroller is the brains of the whole thing and it sounds like yours has full on dementia. ES should take care of you. 

#63 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

One is one the way. We'll see, and I'll leave a progress report. I look forward to Andrew's resolution as well.

#64 Andylad13

Andylad13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

Sent a box out yesterday containing the handbox and both motors. I will let you guys know how it works when it comes back. Using the old LX10 mount in the meantime. Not awesome, but does allow me to take my time and really look at the stars instead of slewing to what i want.

#65 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

As somewhat of an update, ES replaced the handbox. Upon receiving the second handbox, I realized the first one had been used. There was no protective cover over the screen, and the red lens over the lights was not there. However the replacement handbox had no effect on the mount's problems. I took a video and sent it to ES, and they sent a replacement RA motor. I replaced the motor, and have been waiting on a clear sky.

Well...it was better tonight with the new motor. The ota didn't hit the tripod, and most slews were within the correct part of the sky. Part of my problem, and this is strictly a software issue, is virtually every alignment star it has offered me is in the western part of the sky. I have no view to my west. Tonight Deneb and Altair were the alignment stars, both in the west. So would the go-to be more accurate if I had an alignment star that I could actually center? I feel certain that would be the case. 

I've tried pretending the alignment stars were centered. No luck. I've tried slewing to objects and then centering the object to see if I could ignore the alignment stars. That didn't work. I plan to try synchronization during the next clear night to see if that will allow me to bypass the alignment stars. I am open to any and all suggestions.

BTW, ES customer service has tried to help, and it looks like the mount is now working mechanically. If I could just get the software worked out. 

#66 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Hi mandopickr, 

sorry to hear that you are having problems. The only thing I can suggest is to try and set up your mount in an area with an unobstructed view to remove the constraints you are trying to overcome. This will prove one way or the other that the mechanics and handbox are fully operational when using it as designed with access to all the stars for centering. If you have a crosshair eyepiece to center the stars with, that would add another level of precision. I have not used that mount under the stars so I cannot comment any further. I am fully involved with the PMC-Eight development.

Thanks

#67 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

Due to ES not being willing to do something that was promoted early on, and then just dropped...i.e. - updating the handcontroller to be able to connect a computer to it, I decided to just forget about imaging any longer. I think the mount is worthwhile, very solid and tracked well. But if at any point I wanted to connect a computer, there is no way to, and there never will be. I think that sucks. 

It's one thing to offer the PMC-Eight for a lot more money, but since the EXOS2-GT with the handcontroller was like the Meade LXD-75, but without the worthy and workable Autostar, it wasn't worth hanging onto if they were never going to even sell me an updated handcontroller (which I would have gladly bought). I sold it and I'm not looking back and will never buy anything from ES except maybe EP's. ES dropped the ball. No, actually ES drop-kicked it out of sight. B-Bye.

I'll still recommend it to people on a tight budget, because in every other way, it's a great mount. But I will definitely let them know they are stuck with just the handcontroller as is.

Edited by MarkMittlesteadt, 27 November 2017 - 11:18 AM.

• JakeJ likes this

#68 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

Due to ES not being willing to do something that was promoted early on, and then just dropped...i.e. - updating the handcontroller to be able to connect a computer to it, I decided to just forget about imaging any longer. I think the mount is worthwhile, very solid and tracked well. But if at any point I wanted to connect a computer, there is no way to, and there never will be. I think that sucks. 

It's one thing to offer the PMC-Eight for a lot more money, but since the EXOS2-GT with the handcontroller was like the Meade LXD-75, but without the worthy and workable Autostar, it wasn't worth hanging onto if they were never going to even sell me an updated handcontroller (which I would have gladly bought). I sold it and I'm not looking back and will never buy anything from ES except maybe EP's. ES dropped the ball. No, actually ES drop-kicked it out of sight. B-Bye.

I'll still recommend it to people on a tight budget, because in every other way, it's a great mount. But I will definitely let them know they are stuck with just the handcontroller as is.

Hi Mark,

I am sorry to hear that you have come to this point with the EXOS GT. I don't want to make excuses but only explain more about the situation as to the support of this mount. This mount was originally developed by our parent company JOC and sold through our Bresser subsidiary for several years. Explore Scientific had absolutely no input into this control system and was not responsible for it's development. I started working on the PMC-Eight system 4 years ago to create a system that would carry the Explore Scientific brand and provide a system that was flexible and had the latest technologies.

My initial work with Explore Scientific was as a contractor working on the ExploreStars application which was initially designed to be used as a replacement for the hand controller. The issue we ran into was that the command language was not very well documented and we had to basically reverse-engineer the commands as JOC was not forthcoming with the information. This work was stopped in favor of a clean slate design for the PMC-Eight. Explore Scientific started carrying the EXOS II GT (JOC) since our parent company wants to sell this system as a lower cost goto system to help those starting out. I would never suggest that the JOC EXOS II GT controller is suitable for anything else than visual use.

We are continuing to work on improving the PMC-Eight system and I am working to push this technology down into lower end mounts. That is my goal. Any system with the PMC-Eight controller will be suitable for astrophotography.

Again, this is not meant to excuse the response that Bresser/JOC has provided, I just wanted to provide further information about the status of the mount. I am sorry that you won't be recommending our company going forward.

#69 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hi Mark,

I am sorry to hear that you have come to this point with the EXOS GT...Again, this is not meant to excuse the response that Bresser/JOC has provided, I just wanted to provide further information about the status of the mount. I am sorry that you won't be recommending our company going forward.

I'm not pointing fingers at any one in particular...but ES just dropped the ball. And, as I said, the mount itself is solid...very solid. And the tracking was great even without using the ST-4 guideport I could get up to 2 minute subs without star trailing, that's how solid it was. I just knew at some point I wanted to get deeper into AP and EAA which, if it could have (at some point) been able to connect up to a computer, I would have kept it. That's how much I liked the mount. I so much wanted to just keep it and wait for a controller that allowed computer connectivity. That is the only thing it was missing. It ended up being a deal breaker for me. I went back to strictly visual until I come up with a more suitable AP mount with a proven track record of reliability, functionality and support.

What I don't understand is that the mount itself is identical to the Meade LXD-75, so why not just provide a Meade style handcontroller like the Autostar (or at least something similar)? Popular, readily available, updateable and with computer connectivity. That seems to be the typical path mount manufacturers follow, even with typical proprietary issues. Where did the EXOS handcontroller come from? Some other planet? I get the whole proprietary thing, but that was just plain poor design/planning/marketing.

Having said that, again...I will still recommend it as a solid mount, even for AP, but with the caveat that no updated controller will ever happen. As long as one buys the mount with that in mind, they will be happy with it. At least until they outgrow it.

• Jerry Hubbell likes this

#70 markdaleanderson

markdaleanderson

Explorer 1

• Loc: Spencerville, Indiana

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

I use this mount exclusively for visual.  I have a Nexstar 8SE with phenomenal gotos.  I tried to align my Exos-2gt using the 2 star method and the hand controller would only give me one star - Altair.  When I aligned with one star alignment it gave me more than one star.   So I normally use the one star alignment which puts the object in the eyepiece near the alignment star.  For other stars on that side of the meridian, it gets me at least into the finder.  On the other side of the meridian it misses even the finder so I sinc on a star and it operates like it I had done a one star alignment on that side of the meridian.  When I go back to the side of the meridian where I originally aligned, I have to sinc on a star again.  I really like the mount and like Mark said it tracks very well.  I would just like a decent goto system.  If they are going to continue to sell this mount, they need to do something with the software.

#71 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

I bought the Exos-2GT based on the weight of the mount and less concerned about the price. I wasn't sure which of the lighter mounts would handle the weight and length of the AR152. Since Exos-2GT is the mount ES packages with the AR152, I decided to give it a try.

Indeed the mount is easy to move from my garage, taking two trips, the mount and then the ota.  It is easy to polar align (I don't have a polar finder). I have had no weight issues, but I would consider th2 152 with 2" eps at the limit for visual. I cannot comment on it's ap abilities.

As Mark experienced above, about 1/3 of the time the only alignment star offered was Altair. It is in the west. I cannot see the west due to large oaks on my property. I spent 4/1/2 weeks and 50+ hours trying to get all the problems resolved. During that time, I had only a handful of alignment stars to the east.

From the day I received the mount, I had problems. ES changed out the handbox, without any improvement, but then changed the ra motor. This did have a positive effect, to some degree. The ota no longer slewed to zenith, or straight down. Even after the ra motor was changed, it continued to slew all over. Since it continually gave me alignment stars in the western sky, I tried slewing to targets, and syncing. This didn't work either.

To make a long story shorter, it was finally getting within a reasonable distance  of the alignment star (though not within my 9x50 finder scope view. I switched to a red dot.) But then the motors would act up. When hand slewing the dec motor would jump back and forth. Sometimes the ra motor would work, sometimes  not. A final software reset last night seemed to fix the last  issues, the motors. Finally I could slew to center an alignment star, and then have the scope put a subsequent target in my 32mm eyepiece.

ES was very important in getting this resolved with the replacement motor and handset. Once I hit a month of ownership, I haven't had any response from either ES or the dealer I bought it from. With the problems resolved at least for the time being, I wonder how long term support will be. I do not consider this to be the fault of ES USA, but poor quality control from Bresser. I hope Jerry is right that some of his work will trickle down to this model, but I'm not holding my breath for additional software updates. It appears Bresser has moved on to support other platforms.

The pros

The mount is a reasonable weight to move short distances,

can handle a long refractor ota, such as the AR-152, especially at this price point,

initial response from ES was good

motors are quiet.

The cons:

The handbox will most likely be supplied with depleted battery that creates it's own set of problems.

Often only one alignment star is offered for alignment,

In other instances,the alignment star offered are close to each other, such as Vega and Deneb. I can't see either.

severe software issues, requiring frequent software resets 

even at it's best, slews to the alignment stars are not very accurate. 

The software doesn't allow me to input the local lat/long. There is a place to do it, it just won't let me save the info. Instead, I have to use Atlanta Ga, about 150 miles away. (about 2° long, 1.2° lat)

The current level of support is most likely the best it will be, and don't expect any software upgrades.

To be fair, there are other reports about how well this mount performs. However if you get a bad mount, be prepared to spend a great deal of time working out the gremlins. ES' only option for software issues is to replace the handbox. And my dealer has been non-responsive about returning this mount for another, more expensive (and slightly larger) mount. In spite of getting the problems worked out last night (I hope), I would not recommend this mount.

#72 Andylad13

Andylad13

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

*Update*
ES received my handbox, RA and DEC motors on Nov 6th. Today they told me that the handbox needed a new battery, and the RA motor wasnt working properly. They were unable to repair the RA motor and will be sending me a new one no later than tomorrow. Super cool. Can’t wait to get that back! More updates to follow when parts come in.

#73 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

*Update*
ES received my handbox, RA and DEC motors on Nov 6th. Today they told me that the handbox needed a new battery, and the RA motor wasnt working properly. They were unable to repair the RA motor and will be sending me a new one no later than tomorrow. Super cool. Can’t wait to get that back! More updates to follow when parts come in.

My only issue with the EXOS2-GT mount was the handcontroller and that's all. The mount itself is rock solid. Tracking is awesome. It was simply the inability to update or connect the HC to a computer. Heck, I loved the mount so much that when I sold the mounthead and handcontroller, I kept the 2" steel tripod. Solid. 

#74 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

Is there really no way to choose your own alignment stars? The Autostar (used with the predecessor LXD-55 and -75 mounts) offered up suggested alignment stars when it started up, but all one had to do was go back to the main menu, then re-select "Align," and choose from the long alphabetical list of "Named" stars. Until now, I was under the impression that the iOptron system used on the EXOS-GT2 would have a similar "escape route" from the impossible or inconvenient. If not, that would be another definite deal-breaker for me.

#75 mandopickr

mandopickr

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

I own a Minitower, and yes with that software I can dictate certain alignment stars. It was similar with an older Celestron go-to, which required a two star alignment, one on each side of the meridian. However with the Bresser you do not have that option. I've also read that the Bresser software is Ioptron software, but it looks and acts nothing like the software on my Minitower (which may be because my MT is a few years old).

In theory, the Bresser unit is supposed to offer a choice. Typically I have two, sometimes three, often one, and on rare occasion four. So far it's been Altair, Vega, Deneb, Arcturus, Polaris, or Mirfak on my mount, Cutting off and on the mount doesn't change the alignment star(s)..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics